[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /v/, whats the easiest way to get a job on the industry?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: 83756456.jpg (11 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
83756456.jpg
11 KB, 275x183
Hey /v/, whats the easiest way to get a job on the industry?
>The "idea guy"?
>3D modeler?
>Animator?
>Programmer?
My current job is web developer is that helps.
>>
You're not going to get a job in the industry.
>>
Be female and a professional victim
>>
>>284575013
Gaming industry is he hardest shit to get into. Also game dev ruins video games for you.
>>
>>284575450
I've seen tons of shitty modders get a job as level designer and shit.
>>
>>284575013
First doesn't exist, all the others aren't easy when they need to fit into a schedule. The hardest one depends really on individual perspectives and backgrounds.
>>
>>284575204
If that fails, be a trans woman victim.
>>
Hardwork is the only way. No matter what the field.
>>
Make a good portfolio for starters.
>>
>>284576591
Patently untrue. I got an internship for a pretty big software/systems company essentially because my dad is a major member of the business.

Good bait though.
>>
If I were to make an educated guess, I'd say programmer. I don't think there are that many programmers in the field of game development as there are people who'd rather design the game in the terms of what the consumer actually sees. Programming games and game engines are both much more difficult than animating and modeling. Jobs that are more difficult tend to have less people in those jobs and thus a higher demand.

Anyhow, that's my best guess. If you can code web stuff, learning programming will be a little easier than going into it blind. Also, getting a degree would probably help if you don't have one.
>>
>Download Unity.
>Make game.
>You're in the Industry now.
>OPTIONAL: Sell game.
>>
I'm getting a degree in computer graphics, wish me luck boys
>>
>Wanting a job in the gaming industry
Why? It's been proven to be fucking horrible.
>>
>>284575013
Programmer. The demand is the highest for these positions
>>
>Be female
>In Japan loving that I'm now exotic
>Start screwing this PR guy named Ben
>Ask Ben to put in a good word for
you at the company he is helpin
>get hired and run mouth on Tweeter dot com
>play victim card relentlessly to ladderclimb games industry SJW style

come now anon it's like you don't even into vidya
>>
To be an "idea guy" you have to have pre-established yourself in some way or another. Kojima did it by some miracle, but otherwise you'd have to be like a writer or director, but who the Fuck goes into film as a shortcut to the videogame industry?
>>
Indie games. I don't know why you'd even want to work in the AAA company.
>>
>>284575013
There is no "industry" and whatever calls itself the industry is just a moneymachine that spits out cashcows with no respect for the art.
Get a job as a codemonkey somewhere and make games in your free time until you have a respectable developer title and small fanbase, then drop everything to make games.
>>
>>284576851
Most of us can't fall back on nepotism.
>>
File: 1403598860220.png (62 KB, 544x456) Image search: [Google]
1403598860220.png
62 KB, 544x456
>you will never be a successful indie dev, earning enough money to live comfortably while making the games you want to make
>>
>>284578781
Money is a good start. Also AAA gives you some valuable experience working on huge multimillion dollar projects.

Programming is the easiest to get into as that is where the demand is, assuming you're a competent programmer.
>>
if you actually had passion and knew what you were doing or had any talent at all you'd take the Notch/Guy from Banished route and make the damn thing yourself.
>>
>>284578973

My goal is to sell a game and live in a one room building for the rest of my life, ll I need is a toilet, computer, bed and i'm set.
>>
>wanting to work in the hellhole known as the gaming industry

Oh to be a child again.
>>
>>284575013
Know people in the industry.
>>
>>284579121
how will you eat anon
>>
>>284578012
>OPTIONAL
good goy
>>
Grab a bunch of friend and start your own development firm, thats how everyone starts.
You will most likely need someone with business development skills to get you jobs making things with publishers, although its easier to start making your own private projects
>>
>>284579276

he eata da poo poo
>>
>>284579180
you don't actually work in the "industry" though. Theres more to game development then being a code-monkey for some AAA publisher.
>>
>>284578973
Not with that attitude you won't.
>>
>>284578973
have you ever made a game?
>>
I used to want to be in the industry, then I realized it was shit hours, shit pay and shit job security in some of the worst places to live. Not that it wouldn't be great to work in California, Austin, etc, but in such a volatile industry in cities that are cutthroat with jobs, it's just a huge pain in the ass.

Friend of mine got an internship at Disney. Didn't even get a degree. Got a job out of that just by knowing people, which is pretty much how you get in 99.9% of the time. Being good at something is nice and all, but as long as you know the basics, companies are more than willing to train you specifically in certain areas to fit their needs. After all, you're young and stupid, and you'd be willing to get paid absolute jack shit for 16 hour days with no overtime.

This "friend" also had to move 4 times within several years because he was laid off, company went under, he got better offers, etc etc etc. I don't see how anyone can enjoy basically hitching across America to hold a job for a few years until that company maybe shits itself and is forced to let you go... rinse and repeat.

Not to mention producers are more likely to shitcan your entire team than keep you around if you produce something that doesn't meet their predetermined quota of sales.
>>
>>284575013
Programmer>3d mod>animator>idea guy

Unless by idea guy you mean "I can be idea guy but I know how to program" and you can deliver few good indie games before you start to look for job.
>>
>>284575013
>make a indie game by yourself
>with unity, RPG Maker or Unreal Engine
>get the game on steam per greenlight
>done

>make a hugeass mod of a game to become this or that in the company that made this game
>people praise it
>get hired by someone else

>Do the Kojima
>>
Programmer. art jobs are incredible competitive and specialized.

Programmers can do just about anything.

>idea guy
also known as one of the artists or programmers that has been in the industry for 10 years
>>
learn programming so you can be a low level code monkey for a big game company.

THen either flounder there and realize you could be doing the same thing at a company outside the gaming industry for like twice the pay. Or try and work your way up.

Or just get a QA job, suck some dick and get a design position.
>>
File: 1377742013359.jpg (45 KB, 500x566) Image search: [Google]
1377742013359.jpg
45 KB, 500x566
>>284575013
Be a woman and complain that your gender is not well represented in that particular company

Don't worry you don't need any talent or studies, just complain enough and you are in.
>>
Be a white male.
>>
>>284575013
The easiest way to get a job in the industry is to make your own fucking video game.

Working for a big video game factory is shitsville.
They're regularly overworked, and still make shit games.
You're never going to move up or out of being a little workmonkey.

Make your own vidya, and if it's good, and technically interesting/impresssive, people will talk to you and give you more money.
>>
>>284579831
Not to mention that you aren't going to want to even play this "super awesome game" you worked on after you get done with it, let alone play it with any sense of the unknown, since you know practically everything about it.

In the industry, you will most likely work on games you dislike with a passion. If you find a company to work for that makes games for your interest, you're basically sacrificing your ability to play it like any other gamer would. Who wants to do that?
>>
File: 1420667605978.png (266 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1420667605978.png
266 KB, 640x480
Be an attractive feminine male and rent yourself out as the office fuckboy.
>>
>>284578642
Don't you even dare go there.
Shit is irritating as fuck.

Where are you Heavy01...
>>
>>284580635
Just make the kind of game where ever playthrough is different

Case in point, Dwarf Fortress. Tarn Adams specifically said in an interview that he wanted to be able to play his own game which is why it was designed the way it is.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.