[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Paper mario fangame
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3
File: paper mario example.png (32 KB, 601x401) Image search: [Google]
paper mario example.png
32 KB, 601x401
I and some other people from /v/ are working on a paper mario fangame, and of course I'm gonna get responses like 'it's gonna die' or whatnot, and while I'm not denying that, who cares? We'll see how far it goes and if it doesn't die, great, if it does, well atleast we can say we tried.

If you're interested in joining the team go here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1c8z9NkhTRVR0vEsRYnq1GshdkUoIa3nchet7tLR_Pw8/edit
>>
Welp, good luck to your team OP. I hope you don't get slapped with a S&D.
>>
>>283830337
LOL what a gay
>>
do you need musicians?
>>
Gay shit stop shilling
>>
>>283830337

Why should we care? Literally every thread ever made about /v/ doing a game never pans out. Ever.
>>
>>283831725
Yeah, we need musicians.
>>
Free the code,
post GitHub.

I'm not working on anything for shits and gigs without seeing the source code and knowing that the whole project will be open source. Gotta have dat bazaar.
>>
>>283830532
>S&D
>Sease and Desist

wat
>>
>>283833696
Semen and demon.
>>
>>283830337
>https://docs.google.com/document/d/1c8z9NkhTRVR0vEsRYnq1GshdkUoIa3nchet7tLR_Pw8/edit

Hope thats not in-game graphics. Please invest in a better artist.
>>
>>283834209
You realize those are all textures from the first two paper mario games, right?
>>
I could probably do art, maybe some music with the proper tools, and i'd love to learn some coding above high school level. And maybe ideas too?
>>
>>283834708
I'm going to call bullshit. TTYD looked far crisper than that. Pixels were noticeable, but not nearly that bad.
>>
So how do we actually start working on this?
>>
>>283835093
I'm the one who made the engine. The characters are from pm64, which explains them, but the walls and lockers and such are ripped straight from ttyd. The only reason things like the edges of the door are pixelated is because there is no anti aliasing.
>>283835082
Put your contact info in the doc.
>>283836337
Put your contact info in the doc. We use the google doc chat.
>>
>>283836487
Fair enough. I have no expertise, other than bitching, but hopefully it works out.
>>
>>283833696
Search and Destroy obviously
>>
Come up with an original plot idea. I'm waiting.
>>
>>283830337
The past two times I've joined 4chan projects they've turned into just people talking about games and forgetting about the game they're supposedly making completely. They're willing to talk the talk but when push comes to shove they don't do shit, but then think the fact that they made a piece of concept art two weeks ago is acceptable levels of progress
>>
>>283840625
I hope you dont expect us to do that before this thread dies, because that's an unacceptable expectation for anybody. But if you wanna monitor the project from the doc, go right ahead.
>>283841023
Really, people join at their own discretion. So far we've been on track, just waiting for the writer to get back, and maybe recruiting a new writer for the plot, or I'll just do it. But who knows if this will go well or not. I'm atleast having fun.
>>
File: GangGarrison2.jpg (25 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
GangGarrison2.jpg
25 KB, 400x300
>>283841023

Not always true; GG2 was successful because of 4chan coders.

The secret is to, once you've got your coders, NEVER EVER use 4chan to move along your game's development, the environment's toxic for non-ephemeral projects and collaboration. For anything except advertising or multiplayer sessions, you need a forum.

You've also just got to tell people "If you're not making actual useable in-game assets or code you're not actually working on the project". Window browsers weed themselves out and the people actually into making something cool stick around.
>>
>>283843073
Would you be interested in joining the team? You seem like you'd be a good co-manager.
>>
>>283830337
>I'm just a programmer
>Game Maker

Fucking dropped.
>>
>>283843604
>hotline miami
>risk of rain
>countless other successful games made using game maker

also, its programming whether or not you have a strange vendetta against the language, pal. grow up.
>>
>>283843073
You misunderstand, these were both projects that took people from 4chan and then went to skype to actually get shit done. The issue is always that someone of the main necessities (animation, art, code) is a lazy sack of shit or is constantly busy. That makes up like 1/10th of the team and the rest are ideaguys who show up to "maybe learn something" and never do, and so the project's wheels spin. This last one I was in was especially bad because they appointed a director who was one of these ideaguys and he would shit on anyone who tried to actually get people to work or try to be real about how little they were actually getting done.
>>
>>283843293

No. I went down this road 5-7 years ago and succeeded, loved every minute of it, and never want to do it again.

I'm only responding because it seems like you have more than nil already made, which means you have a chance. People can't build from scratch for shit, but people love to build on.

My advice for you though is RIGHT THE FUCK NOW get a new github account (Not a throwaway, this is where the game's going to be worked on from) and make a basic website. Start a phpbb forum as admin and open source your code on it.

Design as much basic engine architecture right now, when interest is maximized: story and art are easy to add or fix later, ally sprites can be changed, and animations can be made by drive-by programmers, but things like proper nonglitchy hitboxes, rotating maps (like the woods level), level transitions, class hierarchies, and things of that nature are FUCKING HARD to fix later and won't be added for you. Code it now or as soon as you can.
>>
>>283844147
This dude knows whats up, although I recommend bitbucket over github just because of free private repositories
>>
>>283844046

We had our own ideas guy too, but it took him something like 7 years to finally kill the vibe we had going.

The trick is moving the project off of 4chan and getting the basics down immediately, then advertising like a madman because the game only lives as long as people know it exists and coders keep getting funneled in.

In the end communities grow around viable engine bases designed in a way which can be expanded and extended in the future. Someone will take the time to write you a story and make you enemies if dialog and cutscenes are easy to add and the enemy base is easy to work on.
>>
>>283844765

No. Blunder.

The repository should never be private, you want your code and assets as easily available as possible. You want script kiddies, newbies, and interested onlookers saying

>It wouldn't be too hard to [MAKE COOL FEATURE THEY'RE INTERESTED IN]

And then surprising you.
>>
>>283844147
This. Project will flop otherwise, but OP probably doesn't give a shit to bother with this stuff.
>>
>>283844147
>>283844765
>>283844825
>>283845087
>>283845180
Alright. I'm making this in Game maker, which I guess is a bad idea.

I'll continue with this project the way it is, and once it flops(or not, whatever), I'll get serious, learn C++ or something, and then when I'm ready, I'll start a 'proper' project with this information in mind.

Thanks for the advice.
>>
You guys should make a twitter or something so I can follow the project. Or at least post threads a lot. I wanna maybe do some work for you guys once music is needed.
>>
>>283845525
>once it flops
That's the hard part anon, nobody is willing to admit a thing flopped, I'm 100% sure the projects I left behind still think they're making a game.
>>
>>283845724
That's not a good idea. Never turn to social media until you got something solid down so you don't go running your mouth off with jack shit to show for.
>>
We need someone to produce something like this.
>>
>>283846048
Get out of here ideaguy no one wants you here
>>
Reporting your nintenshit plagiarism to the HR and legal department for Nintendo ;)
>>
>>283845525

If you're not going to take it seriously, don't make it, both for your sake and your coders. Making a side game is really hard and stressful, which is why I don't do it anymore for free.

Until you reach the critical point of "feature complete engine", your game has flopped if your interest or your coder's interest wanes; you're the rallying point and you can't afford to be the weak link until the project's able to self sufficiently be updated without major feature additions or rebuilds.

Also, pick the language you want NOW. GG2 was made in Game Maker and we reached the literal physical limits of the language such that we had to start adding features ourselves (Game maker and git literally had no integration when we started the project, we had to code those tools).

If you want to code in C++, start over and get it working in C++ first yourself, the base is the foundation and once you have a foundation you'll never be able to switch without rebuilding the whole structure.
>>
>>283846384
Not if we change all the names and colours!
>>
>>283846487
GG2 was made in game maker? I was assuming that it wasn't, which is really the only reason I wasn't going to follow your advice for this project.

Are those tools you mentioned for git like... Readily available?
>>
>>283846953

Nowadays? Yeah, I believe they're built into game maker studio.

Back then? Literally none of them, they didn't exist. We had to write everything ourselves. Default room transitions are not designed for a multiplayer game. All of our networking software ourselves because game maker didn't have support for windows sockets and normal port forwarding. All of that was coded in c++; by the end of the project most of the major heavy duty engine code was, in some way or another, c++. Game maker was only maintained because, once again, it was the foundation we couldn't escape.

If you knee jerk reject game maker without knowing specifically why, you're unlikely to get much done in the project; the worst kinds of people we always had were "Shoot downers", who rejected tools and methods without having good justifications why.

I wouldn't use GM for your project anyways because it's 3D; I would've chosen unity because it has support for a lot of the features you would ultimately want. GM3D is very poorly featured (or at least was, dunno if it got better) and doesn't support normal modeling tools, texturing, and nonorthogonal collisions.
>>
>>283848070
Well I've already built most of the engine. I did it like 2 years ago because I was bored, it works.
>>
>>283849150

That's respectable. If you're serious about making a group project a serious fangame though, you're gonna have to be honest with yourself on engine expectations and shortfalls. You may find that doing things like the forbidden forest is impossible in GM at present, but you want to butt heads with those hard problems now rather than later.
>>
>>283850296
Actually, things like the forever forest would be easy to do. 3D with game maker is a lot simpler than people usually think it is. You can set a projection from x, y, z to x2, y2, z2, so all I'd have to do is do some math to make it look to the center of the room.
>>
>>283830337
Good luck fag.
>>
>>283853062
thanks, bitch
>>
>>283830337
Are you that same guy who posted that engine made in Game Maker a few weeks ago? If so then I hope something gets made, having a shitty engine made already makes this better than most attempts I've seen.
>>
>>283853626
I posted it like 2 days ago. And thanks.
>>
>>283830337
OP I hope your biggest hurdle in this project is probably writing.

Both PM64 and especially TTYD are incredibly well written and very charming. Theirs really only a few badly written or poor things in those games.

Also you need to remember PM used text effects to show more emotion due to the limited nature of the actual models/sprites and their faces/bodies being so simple. So thats another feature.

Gotta write dialog for NPCs as well, which means each one you add is gonna need working text for the most part.

Easy as fuck to do shit like that, but its not easy at all to make the writing worthwhile.

Your story is also going to dictate features you need. Along with scripted set pieces. All things you should realize while coding and making assets.
>>
>>283854051
I hope its a good sign that I've already thought of all of this and implemented some of it(like the text effects)
>>
>>283853216
>>283850867

Wonderful. Then my recommendations' follow my advice. Read this page we made for making games.

http://www.ganggarrison.com/forums/index.php?topic=31003.0

If it works for studio, gmksplit your program into something you can post on Git.

Seriously: If you care, make a forum and basically duplicate the OP of the post I just gave you. Only two sections are needed; don't split the forum up too much: All you need at first is a general chatter section to build a community around. a game development section, bug reports section and a feature request section (read: unless it's a critical feature, quarantine zone).

From that point on, people will be able to actually develop with you. Figure out what you want coded, and say next version needs to have it before you start adding a bunch of art and music and window dressing. Drawfags and coders are all over the internet and will help if you're viable; you just gotta get viable first.
>>
How much is actually done?
You're not advertising your stupid ass steamgroup that will get nothing done without have at least a solid engine or a complete sprite sheet for a majority of the early game characters?
>>
>>283854392
Thanks so much for the advice, I'll get on this right away. I'm leaving the doc as it is since some people probably have the link to that, and I'll put the link to the forums and github in the doc.
>>
>>283854392
>>283854014

Also you'll need to recode gittogmk.bat in the download, because git is bidirectional.
>>
If I can make a suggestion, start of by making a 3d sidescrolling platformer engine with NPCs and enemies and stuff, but nothing more for now, and then making an engine for rpg battles WITH ACTION COMMANDS. After merging the two into one, add dialogue and camerawork so cutscenes and dialogue can take place in the field and in battle.
>>
I was working on one awhile ago but the project fell through

It'll happen to you, anon
>>
>>283841023
Currently in the group working on that Succubus 3D platformer based on Spyro, they managed to put out a functioning demo level with full movement/attacks/candy collection.

It's not much, but it's kind of impressive for an idea guy who just went on 4chan and asked pretty please for free help.
>>
>>283846048
>tfw we will never EVER get a new, good PM game ever again
>>
>>283858557
>implying countdown to chaos is anything but trash
I'm glad you guys have no influence over IS if you think that fucking deviantart-tier garbage is decent.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.