[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Game Dev Thread. Post what you're working on. Ask questions.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 92
File: unity3d1.jpg (70 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
unity3d1.jpg
70 KB, 1600x1200
Game Dev Thread. Post what you're working on. Ask questions. As a game dev myself, I will try to answer any question.
>>
>>268099789

Is there an easier way to do 3D gui's than this:

Using another camera and having the actual 3d Objects floating in space off far away from where the player will ever go?

In general, what is a good way to do nice start menu's? Like, buttons that move around and look good? Right now, it seems like I just need to build the whole menu state machine from scratch, which is a bummer, because it seems like such a reasonable thing for a game-designing software like Unity to have built in.
>>
Go to youtube and find a GUI tutorial for Unity. As with anything, once you've practiced more with menu design and the various functions GUI has, you will become more and more better at it.

You shouldn't need to use a second camera and 3d objects to make a GUI. All you need is an empty object as a controller. The GUI appears in-game, not in the 3d environment. Also, I recommend not using the buttons Unity gives you. Go into photoshop and design your own buttons, then apply them as GUI textures and put an invisible button over it. That should work. Pretty sure the GUI.skin function is what allows for importing custom-made buttons and other objects.
>>
File: 3dthumbstick.webm (393 KB, 352x288) Image search: [Google]
3dthumbstick.webm
393 KB, 352x288
>>268100741

Ah, thanks for the advice! I'll try that.

As for the 3d D GUI, what I meant is in this video. I've made a 3d thumbstick on the screen for people with tablet devices.
>>
I'm just about done with my asteroids clone about killing every bee in the galaxy
>>
>>268099789

Not really a question, more a request.

I was watching Konjak learns from Metroid Fusion and I'm not sure if it's just him instead of the topic and presentation that I liked, but I found myself really getting into the video more than other Metroid or video game analysis critiques and reviews usually grab my interest.
It's about 9 minutes and very casual yet manages to convey so much more with so little compared to 20 or 50 minute multi-part series normally do.

In fact I find myself listening to it quite often when I want to relax and think about video games from a different angle.

Anyway, what I'm saying is if any of you feel you have the chops I strongly implore making a similar series. I think it would be interesting to hear people interested in making games actually talk about the aspects they appreciate, admire, enjoy and so on that influenced them. Especially if we could get an enthusiast from each genre to say a few words.

Maybe get a vocaroo guy to read the scripts and someone for the video presentation to help use examples from footage to elaborate.

tl;dr I'm fiending for Konjak to talk about video games and need a substitute to take off the edge.
>>
>>268100075
build an empty object and place the 3d menu items inside it, then whenever you push a key have a script that turns off the object and turns on the player
>>
2D programmer here.

How big of a jump is it from 2D to 3D? I don't have any artists, so I'd have to make everything myself (or buy it).
>>
Are objects within view of the camera but still behind another object still being rendered?

Say a barrel behind a brick wall for example?
>>
File: comfy.png (778 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
comfy.png
778 KB, 1920x1080
Just finished modeling out this room in my game. Time to start texturing this bitch.
>>
>>268102243
Same shit in one more dimension, seriously.
Not that much of a jump.
>>
>>268102719
depends on your engine. Also got to distinguish between the rendering of the visual barrel, and the physical barrel still existing
>>
>>268102243
its retarded big, prepare your anus
>>
>>268102243
I would also like to know this.
>>
>>268102719
I want to know this as well. I know that if the shadows of an object can be seen on camera, the object renders.
>>
>>268102780
what kind of game?
>>
>>268102780
Nice. What kind of game is it?

I wouldn't mind playing a game where I just walk through very detailed and aesthetically pleasing scenes.
>>
Is Unity good for making a 2d platformer with smoothish gameplay? I wanna make something simple just to break myself into the field, and was thinking of a really simple platformer with simple combat mechanics.
>>
>>268103001
feels like going home, doesn't it?
>>
File: test.jpg (136 KB, 1101x1080) Image search: [Google]
test.jpg
136 KB, 1101x1080
>>268102910
>>268103001
Isometric RPG. Test bullshot from yesterday.
>>
>>268102780
What are you using for modeling? and if it's payware, did you pirate it?
>>
>>268103342
Rendering looks like Cycles

Splotchy = cycles

Its blWings3D
>>
>>268103218
>Isometric
Since you have models, have you considered less-isometric camera angles, like in the Alone In The Dark or Resident Evil series?
Isometric RPG is a dime a dozen out there, and thanks to realtime 3D models you can instantly show any and all odd camera angles, unlike the above mentioned games. It would introduce a bit of variety, I think, and showcase the environments better as well.
>>
File: pic.png (195 KB, 771x609) Image search: [Google]
pic.png
195 KB, 771x609
>>268103342
Blender.

>>268103525
I think I need to update something which is why it looks weird.
>>
>>268103649
Do you use other 3d modeling software besides Blender to do more detailed work, or do you only ever use Blender?
>>
I'm making it in GML as i am still very amateur at coding, so far i can jump and climb walls and shit. Love the progress i've made.

I want to make a 2d sidescroller. With wall climbing like ninja gaiden and street fighter 2010 and some other aspects from megaman X. I want to make it about a robot who's looking for it's master in a twisted alienesque post apocalyptic wasteland. I want it to feel good, punching mutants in the face, splashing mutant blood everywhere, i want titanic, disgusting bosses, explosions and shit everywhere.

What kind of music do you guys think would fit? I want the player to FEEL the urge to punch monster in the dick and making them explode.
>>
>>268103935
power metal
>>
>>268103935
DOOM music
>>
File: comfy1.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
comfy1.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>268103649
I thought about mixing the two. I actually like pre-rendered backgrounds, like the ones in RE1-3 and FF7-9, way more than the isometric look, but for the sake of grid-based combat, isometric is the way to go. I was thinking maybe having this room be pre-rendered (pic related) and dungeon areas like >>268103218 will remain isometric.

>>268103872
Only blender. I've used 3ds max in the past but since you need to pay a lot of money for it, I just switched to Blender.

>>268103935
Post pics. Also, Metal Gear Rising-like music.
>>
>>268102719
All engines handle it differently
Some use Occulders to hide what isn't seen but the downside is they are placed manually
I know for Cryengine (And most likely Unity and UDK) have a system that automatically hides what isn't being rendered on camera
>>
>>268104182
>for the sake of grid-based combat, isometric is the way to go
There's nothing to prevent you from indicating the grid on the ground from any camera angle

Why prerender at all? GPUs are powerful enough nowadays. Let it realtime render within a quarter of a second or so, when the screen changes. Opens up a shitload of camera angles, without blowing up the size of your game
>>
>>268104182
It looks great anon, I may not be an expert on aesthetics but I can tell you it's pleasing to my eyes.
>>
Yet-to-be-determined-a-developer-or-not-fag here, looking for guidance.

What do you guys do to finally settle on what you want to make? Where do you start? Do you write it first or mess around with an engine to figure out where you want it to be?

I'm trying to find that start, myself, and I don't know where to begin.
>>
>>268104278
Read up on portals in the Doom 3 engine. They're placed automatically and so densely, basically anything that has even a hint of a chance of not being seen, is culled before even hitting the remainder of the pipe
>>
>>268104429
Watch this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ0e3QUADw8
>>
>>268104429
There are a lot of ways to do it. If you haven't done anything before, try and think of a simple fun game you could work on and go with that. Don't try and do anything incredible, if you can make something simple work you will feel great and get used to the basics of working with your language/engine of choice.
>>
>>268104429
I started by just messing around with the engine (used cryengine) and made something simple
Start simple for your first project and don't worry too much about it, think of it as a giant learning course, spend a few months at it, maybe keep building on it, or work on something different with your newly learned skills
I currently am in the very early stages of developing a game, and I just thought of a concept and how the game should play and build from there, always thinking ahead so I don't have to redo things
>>
>>268104429
Try to figure out what you want to make first, 2D, 3D, first person, third person, platformer. Then make some quality controls.

You can think of unique gameplay to add after you know you can make some proper stuff. Visuals come last, such as models and textures.
>>
>>268104471
Damn that's awseome, looking into it
Carmak is truly a master at what he does
>>
>>268104429
Make some stuff flying by the seat of your pants. Don't feel bad about making lots of shitty half-games as long as each one is teaching you something.

Eventually all the ideas from your shitty half-games will converge into one solid idea.
>>
File: [laughter stops].png (200 KB, 356x256) Image search: [Google]
[laughter stops].png
200 KB, 356x256
>Doing the Space Shooter unity tutorial
>Press fire doesn't shoot bullets
>Followed everything up to that point perfectly
>>
File: grillete.jpg (14 KB, 320x214) Image search: [Google]
grillete.jpg
14 KB, 320x214
>>268104182

As you can see there's not much to show. I want to make sure everything works (Wall climbing, dashing, attacking) before getting into the spritework. i was thinking about a robot with gorilla arms. Using [pic related] as a weapon.
>>
>>268104918
and that's why tutorials suck. When people just copy them blindly, they get stuck. It's far more important to understand WHY you're doing something. That's crucial to be able to debug it, because then you know what you're looking for
>>
File: 1399541051807.gif (621 KB, 440x247) Image search: [Google]
1399541051807.gif
621 KB, 440x247
>>268104918
>you used a comma someplace instead of a semicolon
>>
File: notmuch.png (123 KB, 1214x848) Image search: [Google]
notmuch.png
123 KB, 1214x848
>>268104984

Full retard. Forgot pic
>>
>>268104918
Delete project
Start from scratch

do this 9 more times
>>
What do you guys listen to when game developing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0fESqILysU
>>
>>268104776
>>268104751

I heard it isn't really taken seriously (for the engine, I mean), but I ended up getting GameMaker Professional while it was really cheap ($30) because I figured I wouldn't want anything that advanced for what I would need it for. A friend told me to mess around with UDK (not UE4) since it's free and go from there. I guess I'm just really trying to find the motivation.

>>268104653

Thanks! I'll give a look-see.
>>
>>268103935
Doom music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2MiGPQleXw
>>
>>268105150
My own labored breath
>>
File: PantyShots.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
PantyShots.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
I'm workin' on this!
>>
File: work for that booty.jpg (25 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
work for that booty.jpg
25 KB, 400x240
>>268105150
http://youtu.be/ZPoqNeR3_UA
>>
File: 1401590669670.jpg (29 KB, 326x610) Image search: [Google]
1401590669670.jpg
29 KB, 326x610
>>268104918

>Checking the 2D Sidescroller tutorial
>lel download all these scripts and paste all this weird code!
>>
File: tumblr_myh18oDUJ31rwv2mgo1_500.gif (761 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_myh18oDUJ31rwv2mgo1_500.gif
761 KB, 480x360
Been trying to make a metroidvania for the past 3 years but I just cannot get into coding, im thinking about doing a small "movie demo" to get the attention of a programmer and do the fucking thing, Im really good at art but I just struggle so fucking much with coding
>>
>>268105347
based yandere dev
>>
File: proof.png (35 KB, 1531x421) Image search: [Google]
proof.png
35 KB, 1531x421
As a person working on a fairly popular game with a pretty large and experienced team, AMA.

I'll try to answer everything that's asked but some things I simply can't answer because pic related.
>>
>>268105491
Nothing wrong with that. I can't do music or sound design for shit. I hired someone to do that for me.
>>
>>268105347
How hard is it to work in a 3D environment? how hard would it be to implement a grid based system in 3D?
>>
>>268105491
Lots of projects NEED an art guy. You got all this crappy retro pixel junk in part because these games are written by coders that can't draw at all. Join existing projects, or collaborate with coders, you'll make some coders really happy that way
>>
>>268105595
How is your QA and testing process? I've heard horror stories of gaming code often being a bit of a clusterfuck with no automatic testing at all
>>
>>268105680
>how hard would it be to implement a grid based system in 3D?
Not much harder than in 2D. The challenges of 3D are mostly in terms of camera and physics
>>
>>268105179
Well don't worry too much about the tools, they can make life easier but can make it difficult as well
I mean Hotline Miami was made in GameMaker, so if it gets the job done it doesn't matter

For motivation that can be tricky, when I started it was because I just wanted to make games and viewed any start will lead me down the right path. So really just any reason, even the reason of just doing it will lead to a more focused reason
Here is my first game
http://www.crydev.net/project_db.php?action=project_profile&team_id=4621&project_id=4491
It's simple and not very impressive, but it was a start and had a good time making it
>>
Is it worth bothering with learning XNA anymore or is that basically dead?
>>
>>268105994
Its dead. Learn unity.
>>
>Start the Stealth tutorial.
>Get distracted by games/threads.
>Too tired to work.
>Close the program and try again tomorrow.
>>
>>268105994
C# is certainly a useful skill to have. XNA seems to be dead, but it was a bit of an incomplete framework anyway. Give monogame a try, which is a drop-in replacement for XNA
>>
>>268105491
No one is perfect at everything, I work much more smoothly making art assets then coding but found "substitutes" for it
There will be someone who wants to make games too but can't into art, and that is the gap you can fill
>>
>>268105089
What's Game Maker Studio? Last I used of Gamer Maker was like 7 or something.
>>
>know basic programming logic
>know how to declare variables, call upon separate methods, do decision structures (if statements) and loops in Java and VB

How ready am I for game development/programming guys
>>
>>268105994
It's dead. Monogame is alive and recommended by former XNA-developers
>>
>>268106148
You'll find the time for it
I haven't got much done in the last couple of weeks, it happens when doing a project alone or in small groups
>>
>>268105842
It would be hard to exaggerate any horror stories about the QA/Testing process, especially with a team like ours. While we may be large (I think 30+ people, there's no definitive list that I know of), a lot of have never made a game 100% before, and the project we're doing is by no means small. So in a situation like ours, we're forced to take it slowly, and more often than not by the time we fix one bug, two new ones crop up somewhere else.
>>
>>268106328
that's plenty for basic games. Got to start somewhere. Best way to gain more skills is applying your existing skills and pushing beyond what you know
>>
File: gutsarm.png (19 KB, 512x464) Image search: [Google]
gutsarm.png
19 KB, 512x464
I've always wanted to learn how to make my own games, but I never stuck with it. I used to use Game Maker, then eventually I started learning C#/XNA. I was in a programming class at my community college, but I dropped it because I kept sleeping in and missing it.
Pic related. I had my own Mega Man engine in Game Maker.
>>
notoriouslyevil.com/AnonsGameWeb4.0/AnonsGameWeb4.0.html

link to the current prototype,
>>
>>268106328
If you're just doing shit in Unity and don't want anything super complicated you can already start. If you want to be able to do interesting things or not use a restrictive engine then you're going to have to git gud. No need to do it immediately though, it might turn you off practicing coding without getting into making games.
>>
>>268106328
You know how ready newborn babies are to go back into the vagina after they've just been pushed out?

That about sums up how ready you are.
>>
>>268106328
make a game from scratch without frame works. Like very simple game space invaders or something. If you can do it and like it, then you are ready. Not everyone needs to be engine programmer tier.
>>
How do I get people play my game on google play?
>>
/v/ : blog and marketing
>>
>>268106643
no
>>
>>268106560
Viral market on /v/, of course!
>>
>>268106554
Not a recommendation I'd second. Engines take out all the annoying grunt work, allowing you to focus on your game. The "from scratch" writing sounds like massive freedom, but it's not. You spend the majority of time writing chores like the game loop, input handling memory management, etc. It's not pretty.

>>268106527
>or not use a restrictive engine
Very few engines are restrictive nowadays. It might take a bit to get the concept of an engine, but then they, more often than not, become very valuable tools. Unity isn't a very restrictive engine. It gets a lot of shit from people, but it's pretty free in its application
>>
>>268106371
>it happens when doing a project alone or in small groups

I suppose that's partly the problem. Nobody I knows is interested or cares about that stuff, so I never feel that motivated for it.
>>
>>268105347
STOP RIGHT THERE YOU CRIMINAL SCUM
>>
>>268106764
Yeah, I suppose calling it restrictive was hyperbole. What I really should have said is if you want to use a very bare bones engine, or none at all.
>>
>>268104653
What a great video, I'm in CS right now and I fit into the "I'll make my dream game" category. I have trouble seeing myself hating my dream game if it ever gets realized although it's probably possible.
>>
>>268106776
I know that feel
Some friends seem interested in the process but won't take the steps to join in
It's rough at times but gotta work with what ya got
>>
>work at a small company doing service
>get put into stage/level design for this MMORPG
>building levels in a 3D environment with our in-company tools, pretty fun
>want to use this experience to find a new job

Most level/stage design positions these days also include modeling, anyone have any tips for someone trying to get into 3D modeling but would already be familiar with working in 3D space? 3DS Max seems pretty familiar, but I suppose tips for a new 3D modeler at all would be nice.
>>
Gimme game ideas /v/

Casual shit pref.
>>
Where my construct 2 niggas at?
>>
>>268099789
How good is the engine optimized? Because i could run Dead Space and Resident Evil 5 meanwhile i had very low framerate and long loading times with Among The Sleep.

Was that game badly optimized or is the engine?
>>
>>268105595
Are you or anybody you know looking for a rigger? I just got out of school with a B.A.
>>
>>268106328

You can practice some of the basics, but you're going to need to know more than that to do anything too serious.

I remember making a basic turn based game pretty much as soon as I knew how to do text input and output and variables. I also did a little game where you move along a grid and dig to try and find buried treasure. When you'd find it you'd earn some money and the map would reset with a new treasure, and you could use the money for a few upgrades and shit. Nothing major but it will help you figure out how to better lay out the code to make things happen.
>>
>>268107092
Download a free 3D modeling program like Blender and mess around. Look up tuts on youtube if you have to start basic.
>>
I'm developing a simple side runner game for PC and Android using Gamemaker Studio as a side-project to practice my programming, so far it's been pretty good, i've got the basics mechanics and physics ready, just need to finish drawing the sprites and creating the levels.

Now you see that's the issue for me. I'm not familiarized with optimizing, so i don't know what to do to make sure the sprites adapt to most common resolutions and don't get all low quality because of the stretching. I've hard that Vectorizing each sprite with an software like Illustrator does that, can anyone familiar with this stuff tell me more about it?

Also i'd like to ask your opinion on another big subject, which is the content of the levels. I innitially thought of making endless, randomly generated levels but i've been tinkering with actually just creating a really long level with 2 main paths, so the player could enjoy the game a bit more by having 2 different paths to choose every level. Which of these do you guys prefer? the gameplay consists of dodging obstacles with up and down dashes and breaking special objects by punching them. As the level progresses the player will always enter somekind of vehicle or suffer somekind of transformation, get sped up and at the very end there is a boss fight in which you must doge the Boss's attacks while shooting it, it's a mash-up of regular runners with space ship side-scrollers.
>>
>>268106971
The few times I did get people interested, they just wanted everything to be their ideas and didn't really grasp how hard it would be to make it.
>>
>>268107159
>How good is the engine optimized
Does not compute. The engine is a generic framework. A lot of the optimization is done by the developer. That said, modern hardware has plenty power that even Unity stuff written for clarity, instead of performance, should do just fine.
>>
>>268107159
99% of the time it's the developer fault.
>>
Is it illegal to use textures from Google images as assets for your game?
>>
>>268107159
From what I gather the engine needs alot of attention during development to optimize it
Don't have a ton of personal experience with Unity but with how drastic optimization is from game to game I say it's in part a developer problem because of the engine.
>>
File: 1404927077118.png (243 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1404927077118.png
243 KB, 720x480
Any news on this thing?
>>
I don't. I don't like game development and game programming doesn't make sense to me, not to mention I lack the motivation and creativity.
>>
>wind waker lite in space
>fly around in a ship
>explore galaxy, collect powerups by going into planet atmosphere
>by the end hopefully have 25-30 different "points of interest" in the galaxy

can't do art for shit so i've just stolen everything from open game art for the time being. what's working:

>movement/basic combat
>basic AI
>basic exploration (ie a map with a bunch of planets on it)
>parallax space
>some weapons/powerups
>a few basic planet "surfaces" (aka levels), none finished yet
>a few different enemies

todo:
>find an artist
>fill out content (weapons, powerups, enemies)
>start scripting bosses
>create actual open-able map
>create the "radar gun" (just a ray that points in a direction and tells you when it comes into contact with something, for exploration)

i'd post webm but i'm on osx and don't know the first thing about screen recording on non-windows
>>
>>268107291
So can a 3D model made in Blender be used in any game engine?

I've always been a traditional artist, but I'd like to start learning 3D to give myself something new to play with
>>
>>268107398
>>268107356
>>268107367
Oh i see, i decided to avoid any games with that engine and considering /v/ general negative opinions about it i though the engine was the proble.

Thanks for the fast answer.

PS: Why does /v/ hate this engine by the way?
>>
So what do you all think. I've been planning out a game I want to make for a good long while now. It'll be a side scrolling action game (I know, I know...). I have almost no experience programming in 3D but have done some simple games in 2D before in school. Would you guys recommend learning Unity to make the game 2.5D or should I just scrape together my own 2D engine and keep it sprite based? It's going to look like ass either way until I get someone to help with the art, but I just wonder what you all think about those two options.

Basically I'm trying to draw inspiration from metroidvanias, having a big map to explore and getting movement skills along the way. But the combat will be kind of inspired from muramasa and the final fantasy tactics samurai class - you'll find many different weapons (they will be common drops) and breaking them to use special moves.
>>
>>268105491
I'm a programmer who can't really do anything artsy, I've been hunting for someone to team up with for a long time.
Where can I contact you?
>>
>>268107345
Thats also a big problem
Ideas with no idea of workload, everyone is an "idea guy" but some know what it takes to get something in whereas others think it can happen "just like that" without a clue how it works
That is by far the biggest step forward for any developer, my starting idea was too big and as I learned how things are actually done it becomes clear what can be done and what can't in a sensible manner
>>
>>268107134
go to newgrounds.com and pick any game
>>
/agdg/ pls go
>>
>>268107625
Unity?

I think it's a cross-opinion from /agdg/ on /vg/. they view anyone who doesn't use a custom made engine as casual/not a real developer, plus the fact EVERYONE uses fucking Unity or Game Maker to make their games now a days.
>>
>>268107546
Depends on the Enigne, the big three of Unreal, Cryengine, and Unity support FBX imports so you can easily bring stuff in, but from working with Cryengine it still needs some work in comparison to it's competitors as it's still much easy to use the 3DS Max and Maya importers they supply
>>
>>268107625
Because they don't know about what they are talking about.

You see the problem with so many shitty games with Unity it's because it's a relatively easy engine, and the amount of shit it lets you do. Many people that use the engine don't even know too much about optimization, memory usage, or even simple programming principles.
>>
>>268106234
Not the guy you're responding to, but it's basically the most recent version of Game Maker. There's been a few changes (mainly export options) to the program since 7.
>>
/agdg/ pls stay
>>
>>268107625
>Why does /v/ hate this engine by the way?
1) /v/ hates everything
2) some think it's uncool to use anything but their own handcoded engine. They're the ones that usually don't get beyond a prototype phase.
3) since it's a free and easily accessible engine, a lot of stuff made with it is ... insufficient. Stuck in an early development stage, crude physics, bad art, etc. Basically, make a tool available to the masses and most of the masses will do shit with it. It's like giving a chisel to a normal person. Most people will just cut a crude something out of a block of marble. But a skilled artist can and will use the same chisel to sculpt something crazy awesome. Same with unity. It's just a tool, and requires a skilled user
>>
>>268107305
No one interested? :(
>>
Man I want to download UE3 now that it's free, but that UnrealScript I have heard bad things, it's really that shitty?
>>
>>268107809
>the fact EVERYONE uses fucking Unity or Game Maker to make their games now a days.
It's almost as if the good tools dominate the scene, crazy.
the fact EVERYONE uses fucking four wheels on their car
the fact EVERYONE breathes fucking oxygen
the fact EVERYONE uses fucking money to pay for things
You get the idea
>>
If anyone here is a drawing art concept guy I'd really like your help in creating a hand held sonar gun.

>pls respond
>>
>>268107625
/v/ probably hates it due to the fact the many develpers make shit games with it and how even professional ones while not looking spectacular run horribly
>>268107687
It's a good start that would be interesting to build, I say give Unity a try since it's free and does the genre well, UDK could also do it pretty easily
An engine from scratch could easily be a ton of work compared to using per-made engines, but you would learn a lot about development from an engine standpoint
I say weight out the pros and cons and choose from that
>>
>>268108145
Some cars have three wheels
You're an idiot
Some places operate on a barter system
>>
>>268107263
We don't have a position that's just 'rigger' but we do have a need for some animators at the moment. I'm not going to link our website here directly because the moment I do that, people will start screaming 'viral'. But do look us up -- Tripmine Studios. Give our job descriptions a look-see and shoot us an E-mail if you're interested.
>>
>>268108145
>except 3 wheeled cars are factually better
>nitrogen-breathing master race
>trading with the paper jew
>>
File: animator.png (103 KB, 1020x274) Image search: [Google]
animator.png
103 KB, 1020x274
>>268108340
Forgot pic lol
>>
>>268107305
AS someone in level design let me say that randomly generated levels almost never fully worth the experience unless there are enough variable that change every game to make each game or play through different, like FTL.

Try to design levels yourself whenever possible in these types of games is my opinion.
>>
>>268108325
>>268108358
Ever realized how it's not actually everyone using Unity but a vast majority of these projects?
Thanks for being contrarian shitheads instead of actually thinking for a moment. Stay angry, /v/
>>
>>268108619
hes gonna need a bandaid
>>
File: 1411595643376.jpg (122 KB, 674x930) Image search: [Google]
1411595643376.jpg
122 KB, 674x930
I've always loved Harvest Moon since the SNES and I've been itching to make my take on it. Only problem is I feel overwhelmed by the sort of features that would be necessary in a game like that.

I guess my question is how do you overcome the scope of your game before you even start?
>>
>>268108340
Thanks, I'll check it out :)
>>
Ever notice how there's never been a AAA game made with Unity?
>>
>>268108941
establish them (game design document), break them down into modules, implement these modules.
What helps especially is to get a functioning prototype early on, then expand it. That way you can play-test early, see if your concepts work in reality
>>
>>268108941
The simple answer that people don't want to hear is: Just make easier games first.

This is assuming you are talking about your first game endeavor, but if it seems daunting and huge then seriously tone it down. Put that great idea on the backburner, add to it time to time, and focus on a simpler idea to start, even if its not a game you'd be SUPER into, just try to come up with the simplest idea that still makes you excited.
>>
>>268106961

It's not so much that you'll hate the game you make. It's just the fact that you, as the creator, necessarily cannot experience the game in the way you envision it.

A good analogy for this is making a film - you'll never be able to make, for example, a horror film and get scared by the jump scare, because you know it so intimately by the time you have put it together into a watchable state that you'll see it more as all the bits and pieces that came together.

So, you can watch your horror film, but you can't enjoy it the way a typical moviegoer enjoys a horror film, and you certainly can't ever "see it for the first time".

Although, that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. It just means you're stuck with a slightly different experience.

On a tangent, that's also the reason why playtesting and shit is so incredibly important. Because by the time you've done the first level of your platformer 7000 times, or solved the same three puzzles of your puzzle game over and over for months, you'll be far removed from the experience that the player is going to have when trying to play that first level, or solve that first puzzle, and you will have trouble judging difficulty.

This also applies to varying degrees. I'm sure the developers who work on something like a fighting game or an arena shooter can still jump into the game and enjoy a multiplayer match, whereas someone developing a point-and-click adventure has nothing to explore and next to no emergent gameplay to discover.
>>
>>268107901
So are the tools in Blender and 3DS / Maya similar?

Like if I fuck around and learn how to model well in Blender moving to one of the other platforms won't require me to learn everything all over again right?
>>
>>268108619
>>268108819
He said everyone uses Unity or Game Maker
He said everyone uses four wheels on a car and uses money to pay for things and implied everyone breathes oxygen because it was the best thing to breath. We were belittling him, Like I'm doing to you now you stupid cunt.
>>
>>268108941
For me I think simple and build from that, like what features are need to make the game work and expand on them
For a Harvest Moon style game would require quite the workload, I say start with the basic features and build it first on a smaller scope, then add features too it after the basics are in
This way you can view each new feature as a tiny project to your overall work, and just keep doing that until your get desirable game
>>
>>268109068
Notice how there hasn't been a AAA game worth playing since Unity came out?

COINCIDENCE???
>>
>>268109068
>AAA games
>good

I want whoever started that shitty term to die
>>
>>268109232
They are similar in theory, but the fact that the UI is very different in some places, it wont be TOO quick and easy a transition.

Look at it this way: When most companies are hiring a 3D modeler, they usually don't require specific modeling with their program, they are usually good with any modeling experience that applies to the same type of work, a lot of them are interchangeable for the most part.

Especially shortcut keys, which are almost universal in every 3D interfacing program.
>>
>>268109249
haha look at the buttblasted babbie
>>
Considering this thread is relatively young, I'd be happy to answer any GML-specific questions to add to the unity stuff, as I've used for it a very long time.
>>
>>268109368
Is "AAA" the "hollywood" of the video game world?
>>
>>268109213
>On a tangent, that's also the reason why playtesting and shit is so incredibly important. Because by the time you've done the first level of your platformer 7000 times, or solved the same three puzzles of your puzzle game over and over for months, you'll be far removed from the experience that the player is going to have when trying to play that first level, or solve that first puzzle, and you will have trouble judging difficulty.

That's why you need good gameplay. A game with good gameplay can be replayed over 7000 times.

>It's not so much that you'll hate the game you make. It's just the fact that you, as the creator, necessarily cannot experience the game in the way you envision it.

What if it's a multiplayer game?
>>
>>268109232
I found Maya/Max have better user tools, working in blender feels weird to me, but you can do a lot of the same stuff just have to learn how to do in said tool
Obviously Maya/Max are more refined because most companies pay and use them, but with the right knowledge Blender can give great results
If you want to try the bigger tools you can download the student versions, sure you can't sell anything used with them but you can at least compare them through personal experience
>>
>>268107134

Battleship combined with gomoku.
>>
>>268105347
That's a pretty sweet looking anime face for a 3D game. What do you use for models, any tips on how to get it?
>>
File: 1405839106038.jpg (81 KB, 700x451) Image search: [Google]
1405839106038.jpg
81 KB, 700x451
>>268109095
>>268109154
>>268109259

that's some helpful advice, thanks, anons
>>
>>268109486
Essentially. It means big budget game.
>>
>>268109593
>That's why you need good gameplay. A game with good gameplay can be replayed over 7000 times.
That's missing the point. When you played your particular level 7000 times, you may still enjoy it, but you're a veteran at the controls. If you were to design a level in that state, you'd cook up something that's easy and natural to you. Then you let someone inexperienced play it, and it ends up being hard as balls, simply because you didn't account for your experience.You need outside opinion occasionally to get a reference point for "inexperienced" player. Not casual, not retard, but inexperienced in your game.

>What if it's a multiplayer game?
Doesn't matter. You wrote it. You know the engine bugs, you know the implementation details, you'll be a bit like Neo "seeing" the Matrix
>>
>>268109771
Pretty sure yandere-dev is using pre-made assets he bought/got for free.
>>
>>268109789
No problem
I always try to be helpful in these threads and glad to help out however I can
>>
>>268107134
pooping sim

it's like Bop-It but for pooping

Clench it!

Push it!

Jiggle it!

Force it!
>>
File: rsz_sky1.png (1 MB, 960x600) Image search: [Google]
rsz_sky1.png
1 MB, 960x600
How many studentfags would be willing to work on a Hunger Games meets Chivalry game that is half way done with payouts paid by the milestone?

I'm needing to work with somebody while I handle the design/business/web dev/legal sides of things. I'm sick of paying people hourly and not getting anything done.
>>
>>268109593

>What if it's a multiplayer game?

Like I said, it applies to varying degrees. Some games and styles lend themselves to being fun despite, or thanks to, deep and intricate knowledge of the software.
>>
>>268110021
Studentfags love unpaid work for a stranger on the internet.

No, I'm serious, especially on the art side of things. Hell I'd help but I only know how to model in 3DS Max and I don't have a legal version except at my work.
>>
>>268110021
I would if not for the fact most of my tools are either student or pirated
>>
>>>/vg/83580006

http://www.spiderchan.com/vd/
>>
>>268109213
> It's just the fact that you, as the creator, necessarily cannot experience the game in the way you envision it.
I think this is kind of the way it is for every single creative endeavor, hell even in Dungeons and Dragons the DM goes in understanding the "fun" and the world that his players are experiencing will be completely different to his.
>>
File: fortuneteller.png (130 KB, 466x237) Image search: [Google]
fortuneteller.png
130 KB, 466x237
Anyone interested in this little project I made? It's basically a fortune teller which gives you funny cards. There's some hidden stuff in there, like nude mode but otherwise it's very basic.

I don't wanna go around spamming a link if people aint interested and I know how paranoid folks get when a .exe file is shared. So if anyone wants to try, I'll post a link
>>
File: fail.webm (2 MB, 799x598) Image search: [Google]
fail.webm
2 MB, 799x598
>>268106517
>>
>>268110021
what is it made in?
>>
File: Skele-Tan.png (98 KB, 1335x636) Image search: [Google]
Skele-Tan.png
98 KB, 1335x636
>>268099789
Get spooked.
>>
>>268110694
Unity
>>268110360
Doesn't matter, I have paid licenses for the studio for Unity Pro 4/5 alpha
>>
>>268109852
>That's missing the point. When you played your particular level 7000 times, you may still enjoy it, but you're a veteran at the controls. If you were to design a level in that state, you'd cook up something that's easy and natural to you. Then you let someone inexperienced play it, and it ends up being hard as balls, simply because you didn't account for your experience.You need outside opinion occasionally to get a reference point for "inexperienced" player. Not casual, not retard, but inexperienced in your game.

I read your earlier paragraph a bit too quickly. What I meant is that good gameplay can make repetitiveness bearable. Like you pointed out, a game focused on story loses its replayability. For difficulty, I guess that's why you hire alpha testers for having a fresh pair of eyes on your project.
>>
>>268110742
Damn that's kawaii nigga
>>
>>268110742

looking cool anon, what's the concept?
>>
>>268110816
I can program, and I can work for free but don't expect me to do a whole lot
>>
>>268109852

That's exactly the "judging difficulty" aspect of it. Just look at a game with user-created maps to see this in action.

Take, for instance, Portal 2 - some maps are made by casuals, and consist of literally nothing more than placing a box on a button to "solve" the "puzzle", while other maps are made by people with a lot of experience in Portal and Source games, and might feature "puzzles" involving the use of bunny hopping mechanics, climbing walls by manipulating held objects, that sort of thing. And to an unfamiliar player, these things would simply be an impassable barrier to completing the level, whereas an experienced player might not even realise consciously that he is air strafing to gain extra distance across a gap, and so on. It's just in the way he plays.

>>268110474

Exactly. It's sometimes difficult to hear the "music" in a track you've participated in recording - especially with analog instruments, as you tend to hear the quirks of your performance, or get immersed in a scene of a film in which you are the actor. It's an odd sort of dissociation.
>>
>>268110816
Hmm, what type of work you looking for, I work well in art tools, using any specific tools for Unity or anything that won't cause legal issues?
>>
File: jumps.webm (1 MB, 799x598) Image search: [Google]
jumps.webm
1 MB, 799x598
>>268110584
>>
>>268110584
going by the webms shown the overall air movement seems a bit too sluggish, though it might just clash with the sprite animation (which is probably not final)
>>
File: ssjmaster.png (82 KB, 557x453) Image search: [Google]
ssjmaster.png
82 KB, 557x453
I'm making a video game about an amnesiac walking into a city in a distopian future, logging into a computer to enter his name and information, and then getting sucked into a virtual world where he is supposed to be doomed to stay forever. In order to leave, you must manage and solve relationship issues with other characters, and ultimately defeat the horrible super hacker, SSJMaster. The in-game game is based on the happenings within the community of MyAnimeList's forums, which regularly has a hacker named SSJMaster come in and screw up the site's database and post gore in the forums.

The game is being made using RPGMaker, and its still in its EXTREMELY early stages.

Here's a video of what currently exists of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN-fG78cLQI
>>
>>268111246
its because of the webmcam program to lazy to make good webms. sorry but I did provide a link to play the game, just give it a sec to load since its not made originally for the web
>>
>>268110884

>For difficulty, I guess that's why you hire alpha testers for having a fresh pair of eyes on your project.

Right, but it's not just the difficulty, it's every aspect. After a week of devving, the way your platformer guy is jumping becomes natural to you, and you won't be able to judge if it feels "too floaty" or something, until someone else plays it with a fresh pair of hands. The orange background in your level just starts to look like home, until someone else sees it and goes "holy shit, this is burning my eyes".
>>
File: comfy4.png (983 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
comfy4.png
983 KB, 1920x1080
Thats it for me tonight. I'll probably work more seriously on the textures tomorrow. Does anyone have any good tips or tutorials for texturing? Shit's the hardest thing for me.
>>
>>268109992

>PaRoopa the Pooper
>>
>>268111354
lol you're a huge faggot
>>
>>268110884
>>268111407
I actually remember a dev log for Stratosphere. The game had the unexpected problem that the controls were shit. The game had placeholder controls early on. The devs got used to them, kept them in. Playtesters approached and noticed that most of the controls were entirely backwards, awkward or needlessly convoluted. The devs didn't notice. They worked on this so long, all the obscure hotkeys were second nature to them.
>>
>>268111553
Hopefully you'll give a realtime 3D renderer a chance for this game at some point. Maybe bake in the lighting, to retain the look
>>
>>268110816
Do you need programmers?
>>
>>268111553
Are those chairs for manly tears?
>>
>>268111553
Never forget that stuff that looks weird or fucked up may be fixed by lighting.
>>
Sanicball. GOAT?
I think so

What say you all?
>thatfaggyanon here
>made some fag's night during sanicball thread
>>
>>268111553
This is a home for the residential dome for the underwater facility right? Pressure is a pretty good concept, glad you're making it.
>>
File: Interactive developer.png (598 KB, 817x1541) Image search: [Google]
Interactive developer.png
598 KB, 817x1541
>>268099789
I'm doing a dev. tycoon/gamersGOmakers clone.
I liked the concept of the game, but I think a lot of potential was not taken.
There were several things that I thought were poorly implemented. For example:
> To launch a game to a console, must be licensed.
all know that's bullshit. One of the main problems of gaming in the 80s was the oversaturation in the market for unlicensed games.
> Your game will be out for 90 days.
Physical copy (in stores): less than 6 months. It was quite likely to return unsold units.
It was also common to advertise your game magazines and send them by mail to those who requested it (as long as you had space in your home, there was not any kind of deadline). And things like that.

The good thing is that my native language is derived from Latin, so translate it to other Romance languages (French, Portuguese, Italian, Galician, etc.) will be a simple thing.
>>
>>268111659

Indeed, you can get used to the strangest shit, if you just keep at it, and it turns into a habit.

Claw grip (for Monster Hunter, for instance) sounds like a completely fucking alien concept until you do it for 200 hours, and then you're not even aware that you're doing it.

Or pic related, which is apparently the way to hold the controller for some sort of complex Japanese mecha simulator.
>>
File: monster girls.webm (1 MB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
monster girls.webm
1 MB, 800x600
>>268110991
>>268110920
Something I've been working on and off for a while. The basic gist is that I want to make a game where you play as monstergirls but I'm still not sure what direction to take this in. I'm debating whether I should go full blown B&K style adventure, a stealth game where you haunt houses and scare people, or some kind of hybrid between the two concepts.
>>
>>268112284
I like your style, fella. It's some cute shit.
>>
>>268112284
Love the spider girl design.
>>
>>268111812
kek. I actually didn't realize how low the chairs were to the ground. I'm going to fix that soon.
>>
File: Shot 3.jpg (923 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Shot 3.jpg
923 KB, 1920x1080
Unity environment I worked earlier this year. No real game here, just walking around.
>>
>>268112284

Damn, that's some charming animation.

Personally, I wouldn't go for a hybrid. But if you design it enough and strip out as much of the surrounding ideas, it might work.
>>
>>268111812
>>
>>268112284
what program you using for the modelling/rigging?

using blender but i'm considering switching to 3dsmax, which i'd have to do anyways eventually
>>
File: Shot 2.jpg (618 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Shot 2.jpg
618 KB, 1920x1080
>>268112492
>>
>>268112284
What did you animate with? Or did you use assets? (I'm assuming you're on Unity)
>>
>>268112492
If Gone Home and Dear Esther sales are anything to go by, just slap in narration of some 2deep4u or 2lesbian4u story and you've got a lot of money on your hands.
>>
>>268112284
>inb4 waifu material
>make this shit a reality
>>
>>268112630
Looks like a PsVita game
>>
i'm making an FPS where you can activate npcs to initiate dialogue trees and activate objects to pick them up and activate containers to search them.
lol jk
i'm just describing every piece of trash AAA game made in the last 10 years.
>>
>>268112492
>>268112630
Webum pls
>>
>>268112284
oh baby I hope you'll add some double jump
>>
>>268111791
That's the primary thing I need right now. Email me. Just know you need to sign a NDA to work that binds all assets/schematics/code
>>
>>268112630
looks alright for a unity game, athe bar is set really low for that poor engine

planning on doing anything with it or is it just a walking sim?
>>
>>268112492
>>268112630
looks great
>>
Has Unity had that patch that allows Oculus support for free yet?
>>
>>268112813
Forgot my email
[email protected]
>>
>>268112646

Or add some puzzle mini-games and call it an adventure game. Kind of like Myst, but not a pre-rendered slideshow.
>>
>>268112492
shouldn't have mentioned that it's Unity. People have such an insane bias against this engine, you end up with useless comments like >>268112693 or >>268112820
>>
File: 1234649104094.png (24 KB, 821x532) Image search: [Google]
1234649104094.png
24 KB, 821x532
>>268099789
>unity
>>
>>268112969
Unity shitposting needs to get banned in these threads. It's fucking retarded. It's just as good as Unreal
>>
File: 14034841650_7d40494ba6_o.jpg (860 KB, 5439x2277) Image search: [Google]
14034841650_7d40494ba6_o.jpg
860 KB, 5439x2277
Eventually it'll come out
promise
Unity, by the way.
>>
>>268112969
how easy is it to port unity games to a superior engine like a cryengine or a ue4
>>
>>268112969
when did i act biased against unity? i said the bar is set so low for the engine, and it is when graphically unimpressive games are shat out by people just wanted a quick scam
>>
>>268112820
We were going to make a stealth game out of it, sort of a jungle based chaos theory. We ended up scrapping it in favour of the metroidvania we're making now.
>>
File: 13926710931_66786aeecb_o.png (2 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
13926710931_66786aeecb_o.png
2 MB, 1600x900
Thoughts on the mono-chromeness
I think it works, sets the tone
>>
>>268112190
>*advertise your game IN magazines
>>
File: 1411393688956.jpg (24 KB, 388x410) Image search: [Google]
1411393688956.jpg
24 KB, 388x410
>>268113308
>>
>>268113498
Looks cool.
>>
>>268113498
Looks interesting, it's not as striking as Betrayer whatcha making it like, adventure or something like Myst?
>>
>>268113498
That water better have a lake monster
>>
>making unique meshes for level design
>not creating a bunch of reusable assets and then connecting them to make an infinity of possible levels
disgusting
>>
>>268113337
>i said the bar is set so low for the engine
How does it make sense to use the worst products created with something as a reference point? It implies that the engine's merely capable of shit, and anything standing out, even if shit compared to other products, is already a miracle. That's simple bias against the engine. Ask yourself, would you have said it "looks alright" if you didn't know the engine powering it?
>>
File: sf_ace_detective_shader_9232014.png (664 KB, 3706x1536) Image search: [Google]
sf_ace_detective_shader_9232014.png
664 KB, 3706x1536
>>268112630
Also dabbled in making a cell shader for a character I made. It can get pretty crazy, but they pay off in the end.
>>
>>268113697
this. Really fucking dumb
>>
>>268113605
Exploration/walking simulator, sort of horror-y in a way, but more depressing
Also I lied it's not unity it's unreal 4, no idea why I said unity
>>
>>268113697
Its harder to do but people notice when you reuse assets. If every part has completely unique stuff, as hard as that is to do, it could be really cool.
>>
>>268112492
>>268112630
Nice store assets anon.
>>
>>268113697
Do people actually do the former? How fucking awful.
>>
>>268113937
Implying you losers have enough skill to create high end modular assets without them looking like repeating shit.
>>
>>268113740
>How does it make sense to use the worst products created with something as a reference point?
you can use the best looking games on current unity for a reference point as well, the most graphically impressive games on the unity engine also look bad, unless you have something besides the newer versions

>Ask yourself, would you have said it "looks alright" if you didn't know the engine powering it?
yes, because it doesn't look great, it's just fine
>>
File: minus8 out of ten.png (409 KB, 591x570) Image search: [Google]
minus8 out of ten.png
409 KB, 591x570
>brother pirated Unreal 4
>obsessed with wanting to make a game
>learning all the tutorials and how the nodes work so he can make games in it
>has no idea where to start, keeps asking me to tell him what to do
>doesn't even know what game he wants to make, wants me to tell him the ideas and concepts
>I'm literally being asked to be an ideas guy
>>
>>268114119
It's just not cost effective and it wastes everyone's time. Obviously over-use of repeating assets and such is a problem but if you are clever enough with those you made, then doing the opposite just seems pointlessly time restraining.

Of course I'm looking at this from a real business perspective as I work in the vidyas.
>>
what skills do you need to make games in UE4? Just Blender some programing language?
>>
File: raven_hotdog_face.png (424 KB, 629x634) Image search: [Google]
raven_hotdog_face.png
424 KB, 629x634
>>268113656
No related but Made me remember:
>playing hl2
>the beginning of the game
>teleported to the lake with the monster for a moment
>progress to the canals
>reach the underwater barrels puzzle
>underwater visibility is zero.
>suddenly remember that part at the beginning of the game.

remember, underwater games are the most terrifying.
>>
>>268114274
>I'm looking at this from a real business perspective as I work in the vidyas.
The old problem again. Video games treated purely as means to obtain a profit, instead of artistic labors of love, that happen to be profitable
>>
>>268114396
You can do both and be smart about it. No need to go FULL BUSINESS or FULL MUH ARTS.

You want a healthy balance between the two.
>>
>>268114274
Well, considering that I'm a hero prop artist/hobby environment artist I can tell you this. There are lots of ways to cover up repitition but the only true way to get good modular assets is to make a variety of each type of modular group. Commercial BuildingA Commercial BuildingB Commercial BuildingC all have different modular parts and you can combine and switch etc. But unique assets are good too, you just need to find balance. Sorry if I was harsh with you anon.
>>
>>268114356
Not even programming language, they've practically moved everything over to a node based system, pretty much visual versions of the code. You basically just need to know animation, modelling and texture work if you want independent assets for your game.
>>
>>268114532
reality heavily leans towards business. That's why we got this endless stream of lifeless "games" washing over us for the last couple years

>MUH ARTS
Sounds like you're missing what I said. I'm not talking about high cultured pseudo-intellectual bullshit, just games being done for the sake of being good games. We've been there. Modern devs just like to think they "outgrew" it
>>
File: test_planet_gen.png (497 KB, 569x573) Image search: [Google]
test_planet_gen.png
497 KB, 569x573
working on background planet generation for some sort of space game, trying to decide whether to hand draw planet layout or to procedurally generate it, pic related is testing perlin noise.
>>
>>268114607
We can agree there, I think as long as you are focusing on covering up repetition without also expecting the artists to remake every single similar looking area from scratch just to do so.

I would never advocate shit like making "block area" in a dungeon and then randomizing them to make "new dungeons" like the terrible "game" Dragon Age 2.
>>
any /console/ devs here or am I the only one?
>>
>>268114867
kill the repetition of the water texture, or else
>>
>>268114905
What are you making?
>>
File: JackhammerJam.webm (1 MB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
JackhammerJam.webm
1 MB, 800x600
>>268112608
>>268112638
I use Blender for modeling and animation because I'm poor and I've gotten used to it by this point. There really isn't anything I can't do in 3DS or Maya that I can't already do in Blender unless it's something specialized like Zbrush.

Here's something that's low poly.
>>
File: water512[1].jpg (36 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
water512[1].jpg
36 KB, 512x512
>>268114941
just first googled water texture for testing
>>
>>268115061
Make good AAA assets. Sorry anon.
>>
>>268115061
Good shit, I'm trying to get into Blender so I don't use any pre-made or borrowed assets so I don't have legal issue raining down on me.
>>
>>268115061
damn, you're good. That looks really lively and entertaining. Takes some skill to bring out these details. Low poly is rare as well. Where's your portfolio?
>>
>>268115104
That's pretty bad you're better off just making it solid blue and using a fancy shader to give it a nice lighting effect.
>>
>>268115047
wellll im making a game like gone home but you play as a midget possesed by a demon who is trying to lure lolis to his basement. its a undermining to pro-feminist propoganda for the massess
>>
>>268115437
Show us.
>>
What's the best way to have depth perception in a 2D isometric game? I'm currently just sorting all my graphics by their y-value so things with a higher y-value is drawn before things with a lower y-value (so the low y-value items are drown ontop and thus seem to be "in front of"). The sorting function that must run all the time however is quite demanding.

Any better ways?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 92

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.