[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what bothers you the most about current video games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44
File: 1408840710820[1].jpg (6 KB, 200x168) Image search: [Google]
1408840710820[1].jpg
6 KB, 200x168
what bothers you the most about current video games?
>>
I think they're stupid.
>>
>>259535515
I think they're great, but YOU are stupid.
>>
Dev teams have fucking horrible leaders
>>
No new mech games that aren't anime shit or 2D.

Also f2p
>>
too many people are trying to change video games and use them as a platforms to push agendas
>>
>>259535671
Counterpoint: I am great!
>>
Everytime I see a girly boy in my video games my pants feel weid
>>
>>259535941
Is Mechwarrior Online that bad?
>>
>>259535941
This guy is correct on all three points.
New 2D Capcom fighter when? ZOE3 when?
>>
>>259535339
Im tired of Indie games (and non indie I just notice it more) using the 'retro 8-bit' sprite look. I wish more games used 16 bit or above, fluid looking sprites.
some examples of what i want to see more of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0DtwhbU3bc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_c0bfJlnqg
and for some not SNES thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP2886-Fxoc
>>
All the fucking DLC

I already spent 60 bucks, how bout another 40?
>>
File: something wrong.jpg (39 KB, 633x872) Image search: [Google]
something wrong.jpg
39 KB, 633x872
Too many of them cater to the lowest common denomiator
>>
They are so fucking easy. What hsppened to challenge? Also token gays, why not force homosexual jazz pianists instead
>>
It feels like we've come to the end of an era of possibilities in games. When I was younger every new advancement felt like a jump measured in lightyears, but now I look at games that promised the world (Spore, ME3, Destiny, which looks way smaller than what I was under the impression we would get), and everything new coming out looks like something no better than what we could do five years ago.
I remember opening up a gaming magazine when I was young and being stunned at how realistic Splinter Cell Chaos Theory looked.
Now? It's all I can do to stay hype for more games like No Man's Sky and Bloodbourne, and those are sounding more limited by the day.
>>
That most devs (and players) don't care about good gameplay anymore
>>
everything went to shit.
the people who create video games nowdays have no idea about them.
nothing is personal anymore.
>>
>>259536290
Nah, it's worse.
>>
Linear level design.
>>
File: 1389064047271.jpg (90 KB, 720x903) Image search: [Google]
1389064047271.jpg
90 KB, 720x903
The fact that the only people who take risks are indie devs who are incompetant at making games so it leaves me to choose from something well made mechanically to something original but rarely with polish.

it's the same with a lot of mediums though. not exclusive to vidya.
>>
Modern gamers.
Greedy devs pushing out day 1 disc locked content, early access/Kickstarter scams, game being dumbed down, and all of that shit wouldn't exist if it weren't for how stupid modern gamers are. Once the dudebros and casuals came in, it was pretty much over for my hobby, like many others. Only a few medium and niche devs in Japan are managing to remind me why I haven't given up entirely just yet.
>>
>>259535339
Not enough people wanting to play with me.
>>
So few games nowadays with long-term content. I want to enjoy my extensively long game. I know that the average gamer is an ADHD-riddled CoDkid, but don't punish the rest of us by taking your niche as shit franchise and making it able to 100% in ~40 hours.
>>
MSAA.
>>
>>259535339
Corruption.
>>
No feeling of achievment
>>
>>259536586
I've given up on "New" concepts in gaming. I simply want them to take old concepts and refine them to the point where they are excellent, not try to revolutionize the industry again, make a pile of shit which sells almost nothing, and scare the industry into thinking "KEEP DOING EXACTLY WHAT WE'VE BEEN DOING FOR YEARS, CLEARLY NEW IS BAAAAD"

Give me a refined version of Guilty Gear Overture. Give me a high fantasy version of Mount and Blade. Give me a more intricate Advance Wars. Don't give me more Echochromes or Spores.
>>
>>259537136
whats funny is, i see people go "you play (CoD, Halo, DMC) [game with short comitment] youve got ADHD" and then I see "you play (MC, Tales of, Final Fantasy) [games with long comitment] youre autistic" when did liking a short or long game mean you have a disability?
>>
I'm not bothered all that much by games themselves right now. I think we are right now in a fairly interesting transition era. The seriously, systematic problems and negative trends in gaming industry of the past are ending. While there still isn't all that many titles that would interest me, the game industry itself seems to me to be heathier than it was the past long seven years.

What does bother me, A LOT actually, is the whole culture and userbase around it. The "gaming community" if you will seems to me to be increasingly hostile, stupid, insufferable. I'm getting seriously fucking tired of the whole "discourse" around games being more preoccupied with shitty SJW crap, personal vendetas, activism, insecurities and petty conflicts. If this is a mirror of the social skills of young people today, than we have a serious problem on our hands already.

I'm tired of the stupidity that is daily on display in the gaming community. Both on the side of the journalism, and the general public equally.
>>
>>259535339
DLC and Early access
Fuck you faggots who support it
>>
IT'S MY MONEY AND I NEED IT NOW!
>>
>>259537585
The only reason why I say games like CoD are for those with ADHD is because of the nature of the games. They aren't built for extensive play sessions, they are built for a player to jump in, play six rounds, and be done with it to go run around, come back, play six more rounds, repeat.

The people spouting "autism" whenever they see a game which requires any measure of dedication are more than likely the ADHD children I am referring to here. The kinds who still find Mario to be a challenging game (while, of course, saying "NUH-UH, I'VE BEATEN THEM ALL!"), and completely lose their minds whenever a game might have turn-based mechanics in any form.
>>
As a person who only seem to get excited about indie titles, I'm gonna go with their engine choice.
Me and Unity just don't get along.
>>
>>259535339
I wish more games would go Silent Hill 2 and Cry of Fear style with their enemies being symbolic of aspects of the protagonist's lives
Those things are unsettling as fuck too and I love it
>>
>>259537594
I'll agree with you here on all levels. The industry itself seems to be doing pretty interestingly, and we're moving into something new every day.

The community has become some form of chaotic mess of idiots that I wish to purge. Why the fuck did things get this bad?
>>
What bothers me is this idea of gamer culture. People nowadays define themselves as gamers because that is a cool thing to do now. These people don't really care about gaming they just want to fit in. They don't want to see improvement I just wanna be cool and hip.
>>
>>259537647
I agree for the most part but not ALL dlc is bad, its only the stuff thats like 'preorder bonus' or 'buy from Amazon' or 'true ending dlc' and not stuff like 'cheap costume that looks cool but isnt needed', 'non important dungeon', or stuff like Artorias of the Abyss. The main focus would be on not making it required or making it an after thought much after the game comes out.
>>
>>259535339
ESports
The entirety of the SJW crap(The recent shit with XSeed as an example)
Companies becoming entirely focused on certain franchises whereas they used to have a wider variety of games.(See SE with FF and KH).
>>
>>259535339
you do
>>
File: 1397830635790.png (67 KB, 201x215) Image search: [Google]
1397830635790.png
67 KB, 201x215
Blizzard Servers
>>
>>259538000
Most of the newer Silent Hills try to do this but fail horriably. Shattered Memories had two good designs for the monsters but they were still humanoids, just like all modern day silent hill monsters, and not grotesque twitchy contortions.
>>
>>259538109

Internet culture raising peoples children because parents are too god damned lazy to instill some discipline.
>>
>>259538125
Blame it on everybody feeling this absolute need to be part of modern trends. The gaming enthusiasts don't feel some obligation to put on a triforce T-shirt because they played LoZ once when they were at a friend's house. It's the "GAMURZ" who are in love with that idea. It's chic, it's trending, it's becoming societally accepted, and it's evolving more frequently than any other medium in history.

I really am shocked by how this only applies to the gaming communities. Nobody who reads Harry Potter considers themselves a literary enthusiast or an avid reader. Nobody who watches The Expendables considers themselves a film enthusiast. Nobody who eats at Chipotle considers themselves a Gourmand. Why the fuck do people who play CoD and LoL twice a week feel this burning desire to label themselves with "gamer"?
>>
>>259538109
>Why the fuck did things get this bad?
I actually suspect the deeper social problem at play here. A whole generation of people brought up on some seriously fucked up ideas of social interactions. I don't think it has anything to actually do with videogames as a medium honestly, as most of the problems I see don't really even relate to games anymore.
I think gaming community is an amplified image of current social trends in general.
>>
>>259535339
I can't enjoy or run a single fucking one of them on my shit computerlaptop.
>>
File: 1398561948192.jpg (92 KB, 457x396) Image search: [Google]
1398561948192.jpg
92 KB, 457x396
A lot of games now try to pander more to people that want a cinematic experience. There are some companies that still make legitimately great games, but there aren't enough to keep me interested in current gen stuff.
>>
>>259538583
>lazy
More like scared. Kids these days get away with fucking anything. If you dare, DARE to beat them, you can expect to get child social services called on your ass. If you tell them off, they immediately reject you. Their friends teach them that they are right, that parents are old idiots who are wrong, and when parents attempt to tell them things based on life experiences, other kids flood their minds with bullshit, and since mommy and daddy aren't as nice as Eric in room 8, they listen to Eric more.

Not to mention now you also have websites like Tumblr where you can fill your head with bullshit from people you don't even know who will listen to your every retarded cry as if it is a true suffering, as well as Reddit, who basically are the neckbearded equivalent of Tumblr.
>>
It feels like its all been done. Nothing new or fresh. I started PC Gaming because I only have graphics to look forward to now.
>>
File: about that beer i owe ya.jpg (342 KB, 1750x2500) Image search: [Google]
about that beer i owe ya.jpg
342 KB, 1750x2500
>>259535339

You know what really grinds my gears? Early Access Games done wrong. Yes, they can be done right. Minecraft did it right. Pop quiz, how much was Minecraft during alpha? $7. How much was Minecraft during beta? $14. Next question. How much is any fucking EAG you can pull off Steam's front page? What's that? $25? Twenty five fucking dollaroonies? Yep. Twenty five dollaroonies for a fucking buggy piece of goddamned shit that probably won't see the light of day because the developer decided to pick up the hobby of jacking off 24/7 with his kickstarter funds than decide some fuckall Day Z clone. And you know what? Fuck Day Z too. The mod was fun but unbearable at times, and we get this nice promise of a full standalone game for years, with just the dreaded hope that it would be the experience we really wanted. Instead, we get this bare bones walk-around-for-five-seconds-and-die simulator but with the added bonus of no fucking helicopter, zombies, and the return of the shitty community that plauged the mod in the first place. And you know what? Fuck gaming communities. Why do so many games have so many shitty people, more so than others? You load up a game of Counterstrike Global Offension. You might meet an asshole or two or some shitty 12 year old or even a guy who's got his head so far up his ass he could start naming off his organs, but generally, the people there want to just shoot shit and have fun or hone their keyboard warrior skills. Now drop into Garry's Mod, Call of Duty, or the aforementioned Minecraft. Ponyfuckers everywhere comparing which of the Main 6's horse vagina's they want to stuff, teenyboppers utilizing their high pitched voice as a weapon to surpass even Metal Gear, and autism that surpasses those with actual autism. Especially Garry's Mod, goddamn, fuck everything about the people that plague that shit. Just.. Just really grinds my gears.
>>
>>259539694
I like Unturned.
it's free
>>
>>259538567
I never actually played Silent Hill 2
I heard Cry of Fear's enemy design was similar in origin to SH2's for the most part, being symbolic about the main character
I tried it out and absolutely loved it, looking forward to trying out SH2 when I get the chance
http://youtu.be/bvGGlySZymE
>>
>>259539883
Tell me all about that shit, I've got my ears open, let's hear it.
>>
Non-sports games with yearly releases. Who wants to buy game #23 when #24 is out in two weeks, and gives you the same mechanics and a equally cookie-cutter story as the last one. Cheapens the series as a whole.

Most games using the same engine end up looking and feeling samey, unless they are given an insane amount of polish.
The annoying focus on graphics and especially lighting in games where it doesn't matter.
2D games with 3D models or "HD-Sprites" that look like they are made in flash look cheap, and it keeps me from getting into them despite how good their game play might be.
Remakes and remasters that hardly do anything to the game, even graphically.
Villains out to kill the whole world to end suffering.
Games with "modern, hip and urban"/Edgy main characters, it does not help that 90% of them look like fucking douchebags that you want to punch, even on the cover.
>One of the main character isn't a gay black woman? MUH SOGGY KNEE! RASINS!
>>
>>259535339
indie games. how each one is some retro fucking predictable platformer 8 bit shit. also steam greenlight letting indie game devs release alphas that are paid for and never finished.
>>
>>259538985
Fucking this. Everyone had the same technology back then so developers didn't even have to optimise.

Also, as said before, the lack of original ideas now. A lot of games feels like a clone because something else got really popular. It makes the genre look lazy and non-progressive.
>>
Nothing, I like video games
>b&
>>
social justice cancer
>>
That people pay sixty fucking dollarydoos for a game and still don't expect a full product. Day one DLCs, season passes. That kind of thing.
>>
>>259535339
fucking mmos
Leveling is literally retarded.
I dont give a fuck about subscription. I'd play WoW so much if there was no level other than item level. Everyone is always the same just with different items. The problem with leveling is that it just seperates you so much from people that actually play the game. Now its basically impossible to get into WoW. You either spend a whole month getting to 90 or pay your way to 90, but then you don't know how to fucking play your class.
The Secret World could have been good since it had no leveling, but instead they just made it shit.
>>
What bothers me most about current vidya is patches. I mostly play on PS3(though I do consider myself an idort), and so many games I buy require patches before I can play them. Saints Row 4 for instance. I had to download 2.5 gigs worth of patches before I could play it. But even after the patches, the game was still a bit buggy and froze later on in the game quite often. I can't even imagine how bad that shit must have been before all the patches. But what bothers me most is that what if I want to replay an old PS3 game 20 or 30 years down the road? The servers to download these patches are most likely to be dead, right? Will I even be able to play my games? If I can play them without patching them, how much of a buggy fucking mess are they going to be? It's not so bad with PC gaming because patches for games will always be available for download. But what of console games? Remember before PS3, 360, and Wii when you could just buy a game and play it? When devs released a finished product that didn't require any patching?
>>
>>259535339

Gamers.
>>
They've gotten really short and really shallow.
>>
>>259539304
I've recently realised that the most vocal youth these days, people around their 18-25, are the very same generation that used to be called "the generation of little tyrants" at the end of the ninetees.
>>
File: disrespectful dong.jpg (114 KB, 363x421) Image search: [Google]
disrespectful dong.jpg
114 KB, 363x421
>>259539694
You know what else really pisses me off? Paper Mario Sticker Star. Yeah, fuck your sighing, I'm not just going to beat this dead horse, I'm gonna ram my copy of SS straight up its poop chute. Fuck EVERYTHING about this shitty ass cash grab stick-em-up. Super Paper Mario was the fucking bait for gimmicky bullshit and we took it because SPM was legitimately good on its own, but now we get presented with this stupid fucking fishtoy that is SS. It fucks with absolutely EVERYTHING that made Paper Mario, Paper Mario. In fact, why even call this shit fest Paper Mario? Why not call it "Fuck You: And Fuck this Bullshit Too," and make it about something else? Why fucking take away our partners that had lovable personalities and added to the charm as well as tactical advantage in combat? Oh, because it wouldn't work with SS's sticker based combat? WHY DO WE HAVE THE STICKER BASED BULLSHIT COMBAT IN THE FIRST PLACE. It's fucking awful. It isn't fun, it's grinding down the turn based combat we had into a dull slate and plastering some of the dusty stickers you saved from Valentine's Day. There's no fucking XP to be gained, so battling is fucking useless. The only benefit you will EVER get is coins and an occasional sticker, and you know what coins do? They buy stickers. But what do you use to battle? YOU FUCKING USE STICKERS, THUS CREATING A BULLSHIT CYCLE THAT'S ABSOLUTELY MEANINGLESS. Sticker Star is a stealth based platformer, because the objective of the fucking game is to try not to combat any enemy you see. Even if you do, there's absolutely no penalty for running away, PLUS the enemy actually disappears! So you just end up stocking up on powerful stickers that one shot a boss and then you avoid every single enemy that isn't a forced battle. But let's just forget the actual battling part when there's THE FUCKING BULLSHIT PUZZLES. Fuck that backtracking marathon. Just, just fuck this game. Fuck you Miyamoto.
>>
>tfw don't mind LGBTQA representation in media and have nothing against 2deep4u shit
>just mad that there's no well-written RPGs anymore
>>
Have you ever had that feeling, you look at the game, you are actually interested in playing it, but deep down inside you know you aren't going to beat even half of the game and get bored of it. I have this feeling with every Sony exclusive. Some might even call me one of those anti-sony faggets. But I really can't see myself saying Uncharted is best game ever or Infamous is best superhero game ever. They just smell dull and when I tried them on my friend's PS3, I decided not to buy it and I won't buy PS4.
>>
>>259541357
>just mad that there's no well-written RPGs anymore
There are TW games, and there are occasional small tibits like Bastion. They do lack in mechanical complexity though.
>>
>>259541270
umad
>>
>>259537594
> If this is a mirror of the social skills of young people today, than we have a serious problem on our hands already.

I think the problem is that lots of young people spend way too much time on the Internet, so they end up thinking that bickering, ever-hostile shit like console wars is actually how people interact.

I think we really need to cut down on how long we spend on sites like this. People like those dedicated shitposters and those "I don't know what to do if 4chan goes down" people are way too dependant on this site. This place is addictive as fuck and it will ruin your life if you let it.
>>
>>259535339
I hate how the ability to update over the internet went from a nice way for Devs to fix minor bugs in their games post release to an overly abused way for the Devs to shit out rushed untested products.
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 349x349) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 349x349
Mouse acceleration in shitty console ports
>>
File: 1405412223224.jpg (16 KB, 210x234) Image search: [Google]
1405412223224.jpg
16 KB, 210x234
Every game coming out is either too simple and has no replay value or has such a steep learning curve it becomes a chore. What ever happened to games with middle ground?
>>
>>259541947
>I think we really need to cut down on how long we spend on sites like this.
There is an actual term, coined particulary in South Korea: "digital dementia".
I'm not sure that I agree that that is actually the root of the problem, though. Internet, places like this one, but also places like Tumblr and even Twitter, are merely places where people can vent their frustrations more easily. It certainly does make things worse, as they will get their attitudes confirmed and normalised, but I think there is a deeper problem that drives people to act mental beneath that.
I think it's a whole fucking "social ethos" underneath that. Combination of deep individualism, value-relativism, and inherent sense of hostility that is actually taught in many western institutions from a suprisingly young age.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I've been to american college orientational seminar, and the fist thing I've learned there is that all guys are rapists and that all girls should carry weapon of some sort at any time and never trust anyone, ever.
If this is a standard image that american schools teach their young students about social space, then I'm not suprised that they grow up with deeply rooted sense of ever-lasting hostility and agression.
>>
File: saltford.gif (3 MB, 432x384) Image search: [Google]
saltford.gif
3 MB, 432x384
Everything is a rehash, bland or just doesn't do it right.

AAA panders to dudebro casuals
Indie is pretentious hipster retro shit
>>
>>259539694
I agree.
>>
>>259535786
This, very few of today's developers have talented game designers, it's all formula now.

Today's game industry is basically Hollywood, except it's worse because not only are they fucking up storylines but gameplay as well
>>
It's all about the money.

Maybe it always was...
>>
zombie games
>>
>>259543012
>I've been to american college orientational seminar, and the fist thing I've learned there is that all guys are rapists and that all girls should carry weapon of some sort at any time and never trust anyone, ever.

What the fuck, they actually teach people to be paranoid like that in America? I went to college in the UK, and there was no fear mongering like that. Most of my college time was spent on Counter-Strike and Dawn of War LANs.
>>
>>259543871
It was always about the money, but once upon a time the majority of developers both knew what they were doing and had love for their craft. Now it's one or the other
>>
>>259544234
Never, ever go to a women's studies class or a feminist studies class in America. They are that, but amplified to the point where they seem almost exaggerated.
>>
>>259535339
story/gameplay segregation
>>
A lot of games today dont have good replay value. I cant get more than maybe 2 playthroughs in me for most modern games.

Its been ages for me and my buddies to find a good, relatively new PC game nowadays that has decent multiplayer that doesnt get old in like 3 play-sessions. The closest thing I've seen is hearthstone and ASSFAGGOTS, since my freinds talk about LOL all the time, but unfortunately, those games just aren't for me.

this desire is particularly why I like a game like Dark Souls in an age like this, because its always fun to just replay the game with a new build or try out a new weapon since more than half of them are viable to use. Its one of the only games I've ever played where making a different build actually makes the game feel like a different game (as opposed to other shit like Mass Effect or Elder Scrolls where it still feels like the same game even if you are doing a different class)
>>
I hate anons that grossly underestimate how assbackwards telecom companies really are in North America. Not just the states, Canada as fucking well are retarded chimps holding back the progress of broadband.

If "Ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all be at Korean-class webspeeds but unfortunately progress of technology and ISP company profits are two different roads that do not agree with each other.

If change happens within the next 5 years where slow connections are a thing of the past? Great. Realistically, I'd give it another 15 years.
>>
Everything is either a reboot or has been done before
>>
>>259541947
>People like those dedicated shitposters and those "I don't know what to do if 4chan goes down" people are way too dependant on this site

That's nothing compared to the /pol/tards (and SJW) who spend all their spare time being radicalized in their echo chambers.

Fuckers can barely interact with normal people anymore
>>
my inability to play them right now and my addiciton to them
>>
>>259544234
>What the fuck, they actually teach people to be paranoid like that in America?
I'm afraid so. Actually, I would very much like to organise a study of this, if I'll ever have the opportunity. An analysis of how are american college students taught to percieve social relationships in institutional education.

>>259544452
I wish it was woman studies. That was an entry orientational course, mandatory for all freshmen students regardless of their fields, both humanities and natural sciences alike. My friends around US reported the same.

And this goes further than that, really. Look at your average american teenage show, how they actually depict their social relationships. Or fucking crime shows.
And there are analogies to that even in accademic works, philosophical and social papers. It would be quite fascinating subject to study, if it wasn't a bit terrifying.
>>
>>259544452
It's really weird to me that they have stuff like that in American colleges. As far as I know, UK colleges and universities don't have stuff like women's studies.
>>
>>259545132
>That was an entry orientational course, mandatory for all freshmen students regardless of their fields, both humanities and natural sciences alike. My friends around US reported the same.

How do these mandatory feminism courses even work? Do they just shout about men being evil rapist monsters over and over?
>>
>>259545160
>As far as I know, UK colleges and universities don't have stuff like women's studies.
I'm pretty much positive they do. Actually, the woman studies movement is almost equally as strong in UK as it is in america. The same goes for France too. It's usually associated with sociology departments. England is a bit more conservative though, so it's just not quite so visible.

Gender (or identity in general) studies now exist on virtually all major colleges around the world. Even in my country, and that is a small, backwards east-european slavland, they exist in some forms on all social-studies faculties. Sometimes they are still bulked together with sociology, cultural studies or rarely with social antropology or philosophy department.
Admitedly, they do work a bit differently here.
>>
File: 1372063136290.gif (266 KB, 478x369) Image search: [Google]
1372063136290.gif
266 KB, 478x369
>>259539694
This. I bought that fucking piece of shit, I understand that the game is barely playable because alpha and shit, but I want to see some goddamn updates at least every fucking month. Fucking lazy cunt.
>>
Too many games need day 1 patch
Mappack DLC
Day 1 DLC
AAA no longer AAA
Pay to win games
Microtransactions
Consoles no longer unique (except WiiU)
>>
File: 1356818324960.jpg (17 KB, 432x320) Image search: [Google]
1356818324960.jpg
17 KB, 432x320
>>259535339

Tons of developers following suit of what is popular, more so than ever. If its normal, than its cause the current trend of UBER REALISM SHOOTY GAME AND BALD WHITE MEN sucks ass.

Not enough developers either trying their own thing or trying too hard with graphic quality over gameplay.

Its why I love Five Nights at Freddys. Its a cheap game with cheap graphics, but it works. Its colorful, doesn't submit to "Real is brown" and its style reminds me heavily of a old pc game.
>>
That I don't care enough to play any.
>>
>>259545613
>How do these mandatory feminism courses even work?
It's an orientational seminar, it's supposed to help the new students get accomodated to the enviroment. They teach you a whole bunch of orientational shit, including stuff like where to go if you have administrative problems, basic requirements and rules - basically a form of FAQ for newcomers.
As part of that, when talking about personal safety, they will also teach you this shit. The one I suffered through was actually divided into several lessons, and this had a whole separate session dedicated to it.
>>
>>259545785
>Actually, the woman studies movement is almost equally as strong in UK as it is in america.

I actually haven't heard of it at all. I did two years of college and one year of University I dropped out and ended up as a NEET., and in those three years I didn't hear anything about feminism or women's studies.
>>
>>259535339
The devs/pubs don't give a fuck about making something worth the money they're charging.
>>
>>259546338
What subject did you study? If you go through technical fields, and don't look around too much, you can live your studenty life in happy obliviousness, but in humanities, you will run into them inevitably.
>>
>>259535339
Cod type shooters
generic white dude protagonist
the shitty lgbt feminist protagonist that are being shoe horned into games in it's place
bad writing we wouldn't have these problems if the writing wasn't so shitty
>>
>>259535339
Devs have gotten significantly lazy and rather release a incomplete pile of shit and partially fix any problems through patches or just ignore it.
>>
>>259546572
Video game development
I was a bit dumb back then. I still want to make games, but I'm going to make programming a career, and make games as a hobby.
>>
>>259545132
that sounds really interesting.
I would be really interested in seeing a more detailed hypothesis, including a comparison between america and your country of origin.
>>
Zombies, why does there need to be so many zomies. Developers seem to just stick zombies into a average game to make it sell.
>>
File: frog-smoking.png (61 KB, 350x368) Image search: [Google]
frog-smoking.png
61 KB, 350x368
For the most part, they no longer have soul.
>>
File: 69992578.jpg (69 KB, 980x360) Image search: [Google]
69992578.jpg
69 KB, 980x360
>>259535339
Nothing, I guess, it all lays in the developers (or publishers for the many cases) and the audience - these who really bother me with all they do, how they react, dev/publisher goals and audiences' casuality.
>>
>>259535339
Too much focus on pre-orders and DLC.

A game can turn a profit before it's even been released which sets a bad precedent when shitty games turn a profit because they had pretty trailers and were hyped to shit.
>>
>>259535339
i have a big dick in my ass
>>
File: 1376426847861.jpg (55 KB, 460x700) Image search: [Google]
1376426847861.jpg
55 KB, 460x700
>>259541947

>I think the problem is that lots of young people spend way too much time on the Internet, so they end up thinking that bickering, ever-hostile shit like console wars is actually how people interact.

I have to agree, I took /v/ way too seriously 7 years back. I ended up being depressed and thinking every game was shit and so on. A nostalgiafag shaped by the Internet. Then I met a guy who was basically /v/ incarnated, and a serious pessimist at that. That's when I realised what a idiot I had been and decided to change afterwards.

Maybe game's haven't gotten worse. Maybe we have.
>>
>>259546912
>I would be really interested in seeing a more detailed hypothesis, including a comparison between america and your country of origin.
I have currently different subjects to work on, but later, I would be very much interested in doing just that. Since I have quite some background and contacts in Japan, I'd like to involve data from Japanese universities as well, if at all possible. It would create an interesting trigle of extremes, I think.

It's a bit problematic though, because my background is mainly in aformentioned humanities - social antropology and philosophy, which are the fields that gave birth to the whole neo-liberal philosophy. It creates a methodological problem - basically, the "tools" which I am taught to study these problems are inherently designed to confirm things like gender-biases, which basically means that I have to work on a whole new methodology to even approach it. Most analytical tools my fields have are inherently biased towards individualistic and relativistic points of view, which are the source of all problems to begin with.
So there is quite a long way to go to make such studies with even a slight bit of validity.

Humanities are weird. Sometimes I wish I had gone for molecular biology or something - it would be in some ways much easier.
>>
File: 1307254215138.jpg (24 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
1307254215138.jpg
24 KB, 375x500
I am genuinely tired of hearing about video game journalism. It doesn't matter how much you kick scream and moan, it's going to do whatever it wants because at the end of the day it's just advertisement in a journalistic form. If there was a change in the voice and tone of it all it would do is give your organized commercials a different audience.

It is always about the money and favors and it forever will be. You cannot change it and the more kids that grow up reading it and absorbing it will think it is the norm and out number those who remember the times when it was exciting and a new frontier. We are past the times of creativity and exploration for video games. Long gone are the Actraisers and Cave Stories. We used to purchase expansions and now we spend money on gun skins. It's over. The wild west was tamed. And now kids will grow up thinking mobas and nickle and dime mobile games are normal and not know what a full game is like. They won't open a fresh box and smell the print of a new instruction book. Gone is the thrill of beating a game just for fun without nagging achievements and in it's place is a share button to let everyone know you collected 5 objects. It's over. Welcome to the stagnation.
>>
>>259544595
You should play Metro. I played metro 2033 about 6 times and its still not boring in my opinion. Same with Black Ops 1 Story, it was very good I think.
>>
Games either hold your hand too much/are too linear or make it near impossible to progress.
>>
They're expensive as fuck for everything except steam
>>
>>259548156
The problem with Game Journalism is that some tried following IGN's influence by throwing a character into covering games and then it became less about character and more of a cult of personality.

There's too much emphasis on the artist rather than the art. Sure, I don't mind them getting coverage for the game but nothing warrants these fuckers spreading their fucking business online.

Hell, IGN reeled back on that shit long ago when they realized how asinine it was to put the cart before the horse.
>>
File: 1408303200536.png (63 KB, 484x363) Image search: [Google]
1408303200536.png
63 KB, 484x363
>Terrible standards. Games legit being worse then something made a decade or two ago because things like challenge or exploration are automatically treated like something terrible by modern level designers and developers in general.

>Gaming press being non-existent to the point where even shit titles will get their pole polished and receive high marks. I'm excluding all the stupid SJW, potential favors, and not even being able to judge if something isn't terribly broken (Colonial Marines).

>Reboots. We don't fucking need that, nobody had anything to "reboot" in 1996 or 2000. People just created content and if that content that was REALLY good it became a classic rooted in gaming history.

>Games aren't made for gamers, people would much rather use most titles as substitute for a book or a movie. And not very good ones, MGSV is a GIGANTIC EXCEPTION and we haven't had a story as good as Legacy of Kain ever since.

Look, if you just spend way over a million dollars on a game like Thi4f, and it plays worse and is less enjoyable then fucking MINESWEEPER, there's something SERIOUSLY FUCKING WRONG going on.
>>
>>259535339
dlc
season passes
blatant lies (sim city needs to be always online...NOT)

I wish game devs stopped treating their consumers like morons. I also wish gamers weren't so easy to manipulate.
>>
File: 1408802643382.jpg (155 KB, 600x687) Image search: [Google]
1408802643382.jpg
155 KB, 600x687
The fact that horror games can't be scary without

>excessive youtube-tier jump scares
or
>edgy pain and suffran grimderp agony craaawling in my skiiiin
or
>omg blood gore and guts so visceral so shocking

Or, more commonly, all 3 at the same time.
Fucks sakes horror games shouldn't have to rely on these to be scary, a truly good and well-done horror game shouldn't need to rely on any of those in order to make the player feel terror.
>>
>>259547957
Go look at the PS2 launch lineup compared to the PS4 lineup and tell me that with a straight face
>>
>>259535339
Lack of open ended strategy games. Being a 90s PC gamer, open-ended strategy games, RPGs and various experimental one-shots revitalized and kept my interest in gaming up, after I'd outgrown consoles.
I just hate games that are on rails, or that restrict the way you play them. To me, half the fun in playing games is discovering strategies by myself. Simply repeating static gameplay in the exact way the game devs want you to play the game isn't fun at all.
>>
Vivian is fucking stupid
>>
>>259535339
>dlc intentionally held back from release
>journalistic entitlement
>all the fucking focus on graphics on consoles
>season passes
>hand holding
>general lack of creativity across ALL big publishers
>>
>>259535339
CEOs who know nothing about games and hire people who are good for corporation, not for the production.
>>
>>259536432
The 16-bit era was the worst. There's a reason people go for the 8-bit look when creating retro games.
16-bit games had that awful, washed out look and music chips that sound like they're stuck inside an empty tin can. 8-bit games were crisp, both aurally and visually.
>>
>>259545613
>courses

Nah it's just freshman orientation. They give you a talk on campus rape.

And then in all the english/literature classes they have you writing feminist papers. Any social sciences classes (generally required for a "humanities" elective) and art classes you get the same.

Last two papers I wrote for my last english class were both arguing some feminist nonsense in relation to short stories I'd read. Got As on both. Getting really good at spouting this bullshit.
>>
The entire medium has a massive self hate complex. AAA games are terribly afraid of being seen as "toys" or "fun" and instead of exploring and pushing the boundaries of the medium and embracing itself as a medium, they pretend to be cinema.

Indie games are deathly afraid of not being taken seriously as an art form. The entire scene stinks of pretentiousness and desperate attempts at making it blatantly obvious that videogames are an art form and critic pandering/progressive games that deal with bullshit issues like gay issues being praised further highlight how far behind we are other mediums in high art subject matter.

Ultimately, Nintendo are the only developers of note that love to make video games that look like video games. How many videogames in the mainstream will have contrived level designs now a days? (random platforms and pipes stuck together in way that clearly only exists for the players benefit and not part of a universe)

We're an incredibly self hating medium.
>>
>>259540084
it isn't great or anything. but it's free, and it's better than shitty standalone dayZ, so go for it
>>
>>259550632
>And then in all the english/literature classes they have you writing feminist papers.
The worst thing is - from an accademical standpoint, the movement is dead. It does not hold up. It's like still teaching marxism as a dominant social theory - it has been disproven and basically torn to pieces quite a long time ago. Half of my teachers even refuse to adress it, claiming that it's an irrelevant subject of the past.
Yet somehow, it holds on with incredible fervor. Like if most humanities departments in the west just severed any contact with post-nintees philosophy and social theories all together.
>>
mobas, rts's, mmos, and games with isometric viewpoints are shit

im sick of casual (for lack of a better word) faggots that do nothing but sperg about LoL, game of thrones, pokemon, skyrim, avatar/korra, and superhero movies like the avengers. the girls of which dye their hair blue and they go to small cons with their shitty cosplay. probably cosplaying joel and ellie or fma

I like popular things so im not being a hipster, but its ALWAYS these exact same fucking things. Get some fucking taste jesus
>>
I hate the audience. I hate the average person who identifies as a gamer. A person with no critical thinking skills, buys AAA games annually and has completely no understanding of what game design is yet they feel games that they like are actually good.
>>
Not enough open world RPGs.
Not enough open world RPGs that don't suck cock.
Not enough open world RPGs that don't suck cock and have cute girls.
>>
AAA games are the only exciting things in gaming right now.

Even if a vast majority of them are shit, fuck me if that's the only thing keeping me playing vidya.
>>
>>259551360
why do you hate isometric? roller coaster tycoon 2 and commandos were ace, regardless of all the old rpgs?

>>259551510
this, video games target audience has stabilized like literature etc, the people who buy murder mystery are the big spenders
>>
Video games take themselves way too seriously now. Imagine releasing a game like Doom or Contra in the current climate. It would either be toned down to match the typical military FPS aesthetic or released under a veneer of insufferable irony a-la Blood Dragon.

Video games are putting too much emphasis on story and the "cinematic experience". Nothing against a good story, but that's not what video games excel at, so there's going to be a dissonance when you inject too much of that stuff into most video game genres.

Single player games are either completely scripted content-muncher type games, or open world ones. Where's the middle ground?

And I think the biggest problem is that the people who are in charge of making video games don't understand what actually makes video games good, and instead we get clunky, boring games full of scripted events and skinner box mechanics instead of games that control well and have good mechanics.
>>
>>259551885
isometric is fine for sims games, but anything else is just gross. if im playing an rpg or something, i want to be in the world. not look at it from the corner of heaven surronded by a black abyss.

its so unfathomably stupid i cant believe i have to explain why
>>
>>259551286
>It's like still teaching marxism as a dominant social theory - it has been disproven and basically torn to pieces quite a long time ago.

yeah sure bro
>>
>>259552449
>its so unfathomably stupid i cant believe i have to explain why
Well, there is something unfanthomably stupid here for sure... The irony of you actually saying "get some fucking taste" here is almost palpable.
>>
File: Rorschach.jpg (33 KB, 318x400) Image search: [Google]
Rorschach.jpg
33 KB, 318x400
>>259552537
that's just what THEY want us to believe. We the proletariat know otherwise
>>
>>259552592
im sorry. i know youre trying to insult me and make me mad, but i just cant take you seriously at this point
i just cant do it.

defending an isometric viewpoint in an rpg is like eating spagetti with syrup. it doesnt make any god damn sense
>>
>>259545785
Where are you from, anon? I'm in Slavland myself and I constantly thank my lucky stars that the SJW cancer hasn't made it here yet. Are you telling me that a glorious, based slav country has been infiltrated by SJW cunts?
>>
>>259552449
it's just a camera view, bro

the only reason i can see for disliking isometric is for action games where you have to use a d-pad, but they stopped making those in the 80s
>>
>>259535339
The worlds are too flat and there's not enough of that mystical allure to them that they used to have.
>>
>>259552537
>yeah sure bro
It has, actually. The doctrine is fundamentally flawed, and the flaws are actually very easy to identify. It was driven mostly by huge moral ethos in the seventees and eightees, but as soon as the initial wave of moral obligation faded, new generations of schollars quickly began to rip in into pieces. You should look a bit into criticisms of constructivism, into new philosophy of language, Grice and relevance theory etc...
The criticis aren't very vocal, work on a strictly accademic levels and have very little broad public acknowledgement, but they are there, and it's becoming obvious that the argumentation lines that started with postmodernism are no longer defendable.
>>
Too many things are scripted.
I'd rather have cutscenes than to have control of my character with nothing to do but wait until the NPCs are done talking.
I hated it in Half-Life as well.
>>
Not much ever since i mostly started playing indie games with the occasional triple A that's not an unoriginal piece of garbage. But there are some issues:

>3D indie games. Seriously, they're almost all garbage. Indie teams shouldn't go for an art style they won't have the resources to properly do.

>War games. Old trend that just seems like it won't ever fucking die. We're at ADVANCED WARFARE now, really? The fuckers can't even come up with an original name.

>Assassin's Creed and every sort of clone spawned by its popularity. It's more of a personal choice to stay the fuck away from them since i understand people liking them even though i don't, but i'd really like to see them stop milking this series.

>Talking about AssCreed makes me think of Ubisoft. Fuck them. Fuck EA. Fuck Blizzard. Capcom is fine though and you fags just can't deal with the fact that they would do the megaman games if they hadn't sold like shit in the recent past.
>>
>>259552757
>We the proletariat know otherwise
"The proletariat" are those that cling onto the pseudo-liberal philosophical theories the hardest.

>>259552863
The west-most slavland country.
And yes, it has been inflitrated, but no, it's not that bad. Depends a lot on the field that you one studies, and the location/university as well.
In my particular school, the "SJW" (though around here, it's commonly called "PC" instead, because we don't exactly keep track of the latest terminology changes) is represented in one or two depratment - mainly sociology and cultural studies - but is also highly criticised by other depratments, particulary the philosophy one. For the most part, it exists, but is commonly laughed, and most common folks have very little sympaties for it.
If I ask any of my female friends and colleagues, the odds are that they will tell me that feminism and the whole pseudo-liberal movement is shit 90% of the time. So that is something.
>>
the fact that anyone plays new blizzard games

the fact that anyone pays a monthly fee to play a mmorpg

the fact that valve believes there's any excuse for releasing a modern FPS that has no iron sights, and thinking crosshairs are acceptable

$1-$10 dollar DLC, especially the little .99¢ ones

people who play solo leagueoflegends / dota and complain about fairness or balance, those are games designed for team play only

the fact that some people take video games way too seriously when they should be about fun and enjoyment
>>
>>259552390
>And I think the biggest problem is that the people who are in charge of making video games don't understand what actually makes video games good, and instead we get clunky, boring games full of scripted events and skinner box mechanics instead of games that control well and have good mechanics.

I recently got this feeling playing Momodora 3. Got it straight away due to the lovely art-style, but the game itself is shit. The Touhouvania games are also a fine exampel of excellent assets being used in an overall shit game with bad gameplay and level design.
>>
YouTube making every moderately interesting indie game the best thing ever and an ebin maymay factory
>>
>>259535339
There isn't too much coming out Console or PC that's getting me particularly excited at all - the last one was Super Mario Galaxy.

Then again I only really have time for handhelds now given my current work hours and commute so it's no real loss.
>>
File: 1312540415015.png (2 MB, 1152x1035) Image search: [Google]
1312540415015.png
2 MB, 1152x1035
>>259548156
also to add to this rant, the internet has expedited the race to creative bankruptcy in video games. Now this isn't something that can be helped but with the rapid share of information now we can see the ideas of pretty much everyone around the world and support or shun their ideas.

Now take the indie dev of today. They've grown up playing old games on NES and Genesis and they see platformers and they grew up thinking about how great it would be to make their own game and share it with the world. To create something and see someone else genuinely enjoy it is an amazing thing but what is being made is based on the experiences that were taken from previous games. There is no longer a clean canvas from where new ideas come from but a painting on top of another painting that is being presented as something new. It's not easy to make a new idea and fully realize it either. To just tell the industry to "make new ideas and experiences" is a very tall order as the structure for what we expect out of a game is already set and the devs know if they stray out of it no one will be interested as we already expect a particular set of rules in all games due to rules indirectly set by people in the 70s-80s. To just create something original is an incredible struggle and to expect originality nonstop is absolutely ridiculous now that we have set personal standards for what we want in games whether we realize it or not.

holy shit this is a really long rant I'm sorry I'm stopping here
>>
>>259554559
I'd blame Piwdiepie for that. He plays every single game like an impressionable little girl, and while it's some light fun to watch it, it really gives the wrong impression about the games.
>>
Fucking metro 2033 seems good till 'press E to super kewl 30sec animation'
>>
DLC DLC DLC DLC DLC PRE ORDER THIS YOU GET THIS PER ORDER THAT YOU GET THAT DLC DLC DLC PRE ORDER THIS DLC DLC DLC DLC DLC DLC
>>
>>259548156
Meh, don't be such a drama queen about it. I stopped reading any gaming sites whatsoever for about a year now, and getting game info from a cesspool like /v/ is usually good enough, since people here can smell viral marketing from miles away. Only problem is the occasional spoilery faggot.
>>
All the talented developers are leaving the industry because the pay sucks and they get pushed around by suits who don't play games.

Indie studios only design puzzle games and 2d retro platformers.
>>
Video games in 2014 are awful. My suggestion: get a NES flashcart and never play anything new, ever.
>>
>>259535339
It is the only thing I have and look forward to tomorrow
>>
>>259535339

video games turned into mass market bullshit made for retards.
>>
File: face2.jpg (269 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
face2.jpg
269 KB, 1280x1024
>>
>>259549997
>Terrible standards. Games legit being worse then something made a decade or two ago because things like challenge or exploration are automatically treated like something terrible by modern level designers and developers in general.

This. Any trolling aside, i'm yet to play a better FPS than HL2, which is just ridiculous. I'm not even saying HL2 doesn't have lots of flaws or is somewhat dated already, but damn.
>>
>>259535339
Video Game companies spend more time making trailers than actually trying to make their game motivating and challenging
>>
File: 1405589877692.png (302 KB, 507x568) Image search: [Google]
1405589877692.png
302 KB, 507x568
>>259555324
>>
>>259535339
Currently? Vivian.
>>
>>259555724
>a better FPS than HL2

Jedi Outcast? Duke Nukem 3D? Quake?
>>
>>259555324
Ain't so bad i guess. You should get a taste for some other things, but nowadays my biggest pleasure is doing 100% achievement runs in games i like.
>>
Time
>>
The people that complain about them
>>
>>259556365
I don't really like the oldschool sort of FPS, huge labyrinths, looking for cards, that sorta stuff. I enjoy watching knowledgeable players go through them, but don't really like playing them myself.
>>
>>259556365
Shit, Half Life alone is miles better then Half Life 2 because it doesn't forget that it's still largely a game.
>>
>>259535339
I keep asking myself that question and i just can't come with an answer.
I just hate everything about the gaming industry. From the shitty DRM to the corrupt "journalists" who always give the most hyped games 9/10 to the gaming community in general. It's gotten worse now with the launch of the PS4 where every single sony fanboy going to every forum and place on the internet bragging for buying a console with no games because his dad got him that console. Don't get me started on hype, that's what killing the industry.
Also indies but that's a topic for another time.
>>
I don't like how japan is pandering to the obsessive otaku waifu crowd more and more.
>>
>>259537963
Yeah, well me and your mom don't get along, either, but here you are.
>>
>>259556590
Why not? Sorry to say this but you're exactly the sort of a person that designers today try to cater towards. There's absolutely nothing wrong with making a player wonder around a bit in order to progress. It can be FUN.
>>
>>259556626
Fads go in a cycle.
Give it 20 years.
>>
Don't have enough time to play them all.
>>
>>259556794
Yeah, but those games were seriously drab. Monochromatic as fuck, which made the labyrinth aspect become sort of a monster to me.

>>259556620
I like this anon's point though. HL1 had less pseudo-cutscenes where you need to stand around like a moron pretending you're still in control. Still loved both games but that sorta shit makes replaying HL2 a chore.
>>
>>259556590
you should maybe try them again. doom, doom 2, and quake are utter masterpieces
>>
>>259557129
I don't get what you mean by "drab". Look, I'm not gonna tell you what to enjoy or what to play since that's your preference and entirely up to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLdyNzlvI2w - but listen to what this guy is saying, look past the fact that he's being a bit of an asshole and consider that he might be right.

And one more thing, you absolutely don't have to be knowledgable in order to play stuff like Duke Nukem 3D or anything with a convoluted level design. You should try it.
>>
>>259556590
Play BLOOD.

The maps are gigantic, but their layouts make architectural sense and are otherwise easy to navigate, because you always know where you are. Them using the massive amount of incredibly different assets they did helped.
>>
>>259556923
I could be dead in two years
>>
File: guitar.gif (1 MB, 313x292) Image search: [Google]
guitar.gif
1 MB, 313x292
>>259557601
Well then you're out of luck.

Or just watch the few shows that aren't moe every season.
Aldnoah Zero isn't too bad.
>>
>>259557601
Why's that, anon?
>>
Shit storytelling full of cutscenes
>>
File: 1407281525356.jpg (237 KB, 500x511) Image search: [Google]
1407281525356.jpg
237 KB, 500x511
People keep trying to make videogames every part of their lives because its "trendy and cool"
They don't /really/ play videogames. None of them could strike up a conversation about any sort of game that isn't shit like minecraft, dayZ, skyrim, jumpscare pewdiebaits, dark souls, generic shooter, fallout, latest phone game, and edgy movie trash like the last of us and gone home. I have more respect for the blacks that play call of duty and sports games.

I think i'm an actual gamer (although i'd never unironically say gamer or call my self one) because I can play a shooter, an mmo, a moba, an RTS, and then play a flash game, nintendogs, animal crossing, pokemon, platformers, mario kart, pikmin, ect. I don't play whats new and trendy, I play basically anything and everything.
>>
>>259556923
They've been doing that since 1986 at the earliest.
>>
Time.

>Finishing the game after a wild ride.
>Watching your guild die as the fad of the MMORPG you play fades away.
>Having no time to play the game because of others.
>Spending too much time on the game incapable of giving other games their share.
>Time of Life.
>>
FUCKING. EXCLUSIVITY.
>>
>>259558324
I also hate people who play on playstations, xboxes, and PCs that think they're too mature to play any thing that isn't gritty and serious. They're too delusioned by their "I PLAY MATURE GAMES FOR MATURE GAMERS" to see the fun that they could be having. I find alot of the kiddie platformer games to by harder than the gritty shooters.
>>
File: testtiruno.gif (103 KB, 97x81) Image search: [Google]
testtiruno.gif
103 KB, 97x81
The people who play them.
Including me, I hate myself
>>
> there are no more simple, fun games that let you fuck around
> everything must have some serious story and shit
I really liked SR3 and 4 because how light-hearted and easy-going they actually are. No unnecessary drama, no gritty bullshit, just "well shit let's kick those asses".
I also miss RWS, good thing they are making Postal2 expansion now. Maybe we'll see proper Postal3 later.
>>
Everything feels just like a fancy reskin of an older game but with less depth
>>
i just want the damn thing to work
>>
>>259535339
I am 40 and still like to play, problem is, major studios do not make games that cater to my demographic.
If you add to that the sudden war on anything remotely mature in video games all is left is Puzzle Bubble, Tetris and Dear Ester.

I am fond of eroticism in games, not crude porn, eroticism, and as a reader, would like to see an improvement on story telling.

I am aware that there's no enough incentive to do so and that's the issue.

I am not too old to play, i just no longer find any pleasure fragging like a made man or trying to immerse myself in oneiric world wrote by and for 16 years old, no pun intended.
>>
>>259548401
Well its different strokes for everyone.
I will say metro ll and 2033 were good games but I honestly can't playing them twice because the games unleash their load all in one playthrough
>>
File: babby.jpg (22 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
babby.jpg
22 KB, 420x420
ITT
>>
>>259558668
Yeah, poor Bloodborne being held hostage like that. I just don't have the resources to send for a rescue operation and buy a PS4 for that one single game.
>>
>>259559751
Go to bed, old man.
>>
>Western developers trying too hard to reach out to wider audiences
>Japanese developers substituting substance for otaku pandering
>the increasing development costs stifling creativity
>developers feeling like they HAVE to have "modern" production values instead of just making good games that run well
>feels like nobody is truly willing to take chances anymore
>>
>>259559751
>Dear Ester
>mature
u wot m8?
>>
>>259535339
Devs thinking it's okay to just announce paid DLC around 6 months before the game is released, like when it's still being fucking DEVELOPED
>>
File: cancer cell growth.jpg (27 KB, 350x250) Image search: [Google]
cancer cell growth.jpg
27 KB, 350x250
This whole thread
>muh SJW boogeyman
>muh glorious nippon
>>
>>259535339
they have less freedom / depth than games did 10 years ago. example: thi4f vs thief 2. games are generally shit right now.
>>
Gamers claiming to hate DLC are complaining while handing over money to the publisher
>>
>>259560000
> increasing development costs
> they are increasing only because marketing bloat
>>
>>259560000
QUINTS CONFIRM TRUTH
>>
File: fuckcriticalmiss.png (575 KB, 970x453) Image search: [Google]
fuckcriticalmiss.png
575 KB, 970x453
>>259535339
Follow the leader mentality
Westerners preaching about game design
>>
>>259560097
Mature in therm of storytelling.

Not the place to speak about this i assume.

>>259559965
11am here.
>>
>>259560427
It's quads, nigger.
>>
>>259559926
At this point, I might just switch to PC and give up console gaming. I'm not shelling out money I don't have.
>>
>>259560295
So says the redditor.
>>
>>259560731
For one game and a PS4.
>>
>>259560000
>Japanese developers substituting substance for otaku pandering

I like you bringing up this point. It's so incredibly obvious but people don't discuss it nearly enough. Most JRPGs nowadays are unplayable garbage thanks to it. Other genres are still fine though.
>>
>>259560727
I can't count im too busy playing videogames
>>
>>259560504
> they used Lotus Elise as an example in that picture
> one of the best-controlling cars on the market with its sole purpose to be precise as fuck
I want to kill the person who decided to put it in.
>>
>>259560410
Actually marketing has fuck all to do with it. It has more to do with how the manpower required for games these days needs many extra hands, especially in the art department. Even so, development is still a troublesome process that somehow feels understaffed for whatever reason.

Part of the reason why indie, 2D games are heralded is because you don't need a team of 300-400 people to make a game happen.
>>
>>259560678
go to bed, anyway, for not living in america
>>
>>259560410
well tbh, they are all calculated risks. marketing has been shown time and time again to be more profitable than making a slightly better game. so publishers do it.

why? because gamers these days are morons and eat up any piece of shit being fed to them. you can't really blame publishers for capitalizing on the public's stupidity.

this is partly due to consoles turning people into fucking vegetables that can't operate more than 2 fucking buttons. if people still had to build their own pcs and know what the fuck they were doing, we wouldn't be in this situation
>>
>>259535339
lack of good single player rpgs, no game comes close to ffx

always online shit

10/10 graphics but shit gameplay

various pc, faggotry and lgbt agendas

donte
>>
Day-One DLC's, Season Passes and shit like that are what I hate and I really think they are hurting the industry as a whole.

To me, it's like buying a movie and then paying extra for the missing scenes. I don't understand how the video game industry is getting away with such an anti-consumer policy that would be shot down instantly in any other form of media.

People who actually buy that shit are a blight on the industry
>>
>>259535339
People that are excited about no mans sky without realizing it will be like star bound. Sure there are different planets but it's just different colour palettes.
Also the people that think it's something new when it was done in 1993 by frontier: elite 2, it's done by Rodina, and probably done best by Evochron Mercenary.

And people that don't know anything about space and complain about dumb shit
>>
No depth.
No difficulty.
Overpriced.
>>
File: 1353112296806.jpg (32 KB, 939x683) Image search: [Google]
1353112296806.jpg
32 KB, 939x683
> all the humour in games now is LOL SO RANDUM ECKSDEE and memespouting
>>
>>259535339
DLC, indie devs, normal devs listening SJW's and horrible online netcodes.
>>
>>259561547
>, no game comes close to ffx

I feel fucking triggered like a Tumblrina
>>
The lack of innovation.

Instead of daring to take risks and making niche games for fans devs are forced to make a game based on the checkboxes given to them from corporate executives.
All this while we've clearly seen what a selfpublished dev can accomplish when it's doing what it wants to do. Both innovation and an excellent game - for fans of the genre instead of an as broad as possible audience - Dvinity: Original Sin.
>>
>>259535339
I don't like procedural generation. I feel like developers use it so that they don't actually have to design and interesting level or things for the player to actually do. I don't like sandbox games at all, the idea of padding a game out with a bunch of inconsequential shit doesn't sit well with me.
>>
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 277x274) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 277x274
Most games these days treat players like they are children or mentally retarded.

Seriously I don't need to see the objective through all the walls.

It's the best when they have an in game tutorial at the start that tells you how to walk and look around. Thanks guys it really helped a lot of people I'm sure of it.
>>
I miss the arcade scene and how it used to directly influence console games.
I miss the Run&Gun genre....
>>
> phoneshit and social networking where you don't need them
> devs treating players like braindead retards
> difficulty is non-existant, you can breeze through everything
> level design is "straight line with special effects"
>>
File: 76865456768.jpg (47 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
76865456768.jpg
47 KB, 1280x800
>Indie games with character designs right out of Tim Burton's sketchbook
>that blocky "minecraft" style everyone else is using

mfw every time i see one.
>>
>>259562818
Blame the gamers for that one.

When there IS an innovative game, it hardly gets the sales support it needs.
>>
That video game stories have not improved a bit in 20 years. The Last Of Us, Mass Effect, Deus Ex, Metal Gear Solid and the various Bioshocks all have terrible stories and are extremely badly written. There isn't a single modern video game whose story would stand up against the average book or movie. This bothers me because a lot of game companies and the press are making bit deals about video games as storytelling medium, but they can't support their rhetoric at all.
>>
>>259535339
Cinematic 30 fps 3rd party shooters.

What's fucking next? 30 fps racing games?
>>
File: 1408801272190.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1408801272190.gif
2 MB, 480x270
They just aren't fun.
>>
Lack of middle sized companies.
>>
>buy game for fullprice 50€~
>it has day one dlc or season pass

half babked game fuck off

also

>feminism in videogames
>>
>>259535339
Games are designed with multiple difficulty levels instead of being well crafted to gradually get harder and forcing a player to improve if they want to progress. Alternatively, games have a light RPG system so that they can grind instead of improving.
>>
>>259563235
Have you played gunhound ex or gigantic army?
>>
the quality bar is lower than for american comedies, which is really damn depressing.
Mostly its the fault of those who buy casual garbage games, and then cry here on /v/ to justify it.
Also fuck you /v/ fol tolerating every single crap.
>>
>>259535339
There´s nothing like Darklands or King of Dragon Pass anymore.
>>
File: 1408215094073.jpg (59 KB, 405x481) Image search: [Google]
1408215094073.jpg
59 KB, 405x481
The idea that every game has to be inclusive.

Now I'm really talking more about from a mechanical standpoint here so I'm not even going to touch on the whole "we need more female characters etc" stuff. I'm talking about how larger game devs keep on trying to make their games so that everyone, including your grandparents, can play them.

And then they look at the gameplay stats of people playing and they're shocked that less than half of the people who bought it even ended up finishing it. So they simplify things even mre the next time around. They make things even more handholdy and forgiving. They even make the game shorter in order to ensure that more people can finish it.

And it doesn't work because it keeps happening. It certainly doesn't work for me. I haven't completed a Naughty Dog game since Jak and Daxter because I always lose interest halfway through. All these 6 hour cinematic shootan gaems I give up after 2 or less.

I'm not saying I'm some ultra tryhard pro gamer but I appreciate a certain level of depth in the games I play and that plus interesting mechanics will usually keep me around more than cinematic moments or endless tutorials. That's why I stopped Uncharted 2 and didn't pick it up again after dying in the train sequence but have clocked up around 400+ hours in Demon's Souls.
>>
Graphics are overly good nowadays, they add nothing to immersion anymore and only exist to waste precious budget and manpower.

About 8 years ago graphics became as good as they ever had to be. Now we have consoles running at 30fps because they are forced into HD by their own competition
>>
There's no sense of discovery whatsoever. The game teaches you everything. A good game just tells you the controls and that's good enough.
>>
>>259566645
I kept thinking that maybe I was getting too old to enjoy new vidya but you're totally right!
>>
>all these complaints about graphics and pixel art
Is this all video games are to you? Good graphics?
>>
I hate the pandering, the trying to appeal to as many people as possible and lowering the bar
Jews ruin everything they get involved in
>>
developers releasing alphas and betas and asking you to pay to pretty much dp beta-testing

DayZ for example

>inb4:DayZ kindled in 4chan
>>
corridors instead of sandboxes
>>
>>259565596
Have gigantic army. Thanks for pointing gunhound out to me. Both look like decent Assault Suits clones.
>>
File: 1381711806796.png (318 KB, 557x750) Image search: [Google]
1381711806796.png
318 KB, 557x750
>>259535339

The fact that so many fucking people want video games to be "Art" or mimic cinema even if it is at the cost of technical prowess or fun. I don't want the fucking game to play itself for me, and QTEs are only okay if they're platinum games-esque crazy where you're doing a bunch of crazy shit that could not be done with the normal moveset.

These fucking people who want video games to be art don't like video games at all, yet for some reason people listen to them. These people who want to make "Filmic look" for their game have no respect for the hobby itself and just want it to bleed into the gelatin mass of normalfag shit because they're so uncomfortable with being challenged, with being stigmatized into "That gamer nerd" that they are willing to grovel to moviegoers through a certain design philosophy as if most people who aren't already playing video games somehow now give a fuck about video games by doing so.

If these people liked video games, they'd be happy with video games being video games. They wouldn't pander, they wouldn't design something as a product first and entertainment second, and they sure as shit wouldn't be adding so many pointless QTEs.

The worst part? People lap this shit right up. The kinds of games that do this awful bullshit are overrated "10/10 it's okay" shit like TLOU that would otherwise be decently respected were it not for it's rabid fanboys who assume anyone who hates the game is an Xbot or Nintendrone.
>>
>>259542594
007 Legends.
>>
>>259535339

Steam Greenlight and early access

So I like the idea of being able to support a small upcoming company that has been greenlit, so dont get me wrong.

But a company like Sony does not seem to be in the need of funding for their game, yet they charge huge amounts to let people "influence the development" - Yea right. Why not just invite people who a considered valuable testers? Because this is becoming a money machine.

And whats worst? That people buy in to this "bip" !
I sure hope the marketing devision got a fair bonus, because it sure takes some manipulation to get people to think that paying in order to help someone is a good idea.
>>
Name one AAA "Stealth" game in the past few years that did not include a wallhack of some kind.
>>
>>259564741
The average book or movie is bad though.
Most games have better stories than an average movie and I watch a ton of movies
>>
>>259570116
You might be watching a ton of really bad movies.
It's true that videogames are still really lacking in terms of standards for it's narratives. This is partially because the medium is young and has no accademic backgrounds, and partially because honestly, story is still a lower priority for many developers - and obviously, there are occasional exceptions, but still, the standards are riddiculously low compared to most other media, including cinema.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.