[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How was this game so bad? The first two were great, how did they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9
File: Cover.jpg (136 KB, 500x715) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
136 KB, 500x715
How was this game so bad? The first two were great, how did they manage to fuck up this badly?
>>
Miyamoto is getting old. He hgas lost his touch.
So far he's ruined 3D Mario, 2D Mario, Paper Mario, Star Fox, Pikmin, Metroid. The list goes on and on. He's just not the same man anymore. They need to let him go.
>>
File: howdoievendrinkthis.jpg (2 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
howdoievendrinkthis.jpg
2 KB, 125x125
I'm not convinced that you played it.
>>
>>257673696
Because it's good.
>>
>>257674037
>Miyamoto hasn't actually made a game in years.

Pikmin 3 was great. Short, but great. Formidable Oak was a shitty finale, but the rest of the game was really good. What were your issues with it? It was better than Pikmin 2.
>>
>>257674125
>don't like X
>YOU JUST NOT PLAY IT IT GOOD GAME IT VERY GOOD GO PLAY IT BECUZ U OBVIOUSLY NOT PLAY IT I GOOD GOY I VERY GOOD GOY

Please, just stop.
This game is a cesspit of bad writing and bad design choices.
>all the stages are rehashes of previous ones
>all the characters are uninteresting
>all the dialogue is lolsorandumb reddit pandering

It's a bad game. Objectively.
>>
File: pikmin-3-wallpaper-1.jpg (332 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
pikmin-3-wallpaper-1.jpg
332 KB, 1920x1080
I like it. Still need to finish it though, just got the blue Pikmin. Dropped it a few weeks back for some reason, think I've just been caught up in other games like Mario Kart 8, New Super Mario Bros U, and The Wonderful 101, though mostly The Wonderful 101, which I'm in the process of finishing.

My assumption is is that because this game took so long to come out (I believe, just what I heard) that people began to get unreal expectations for it, which is what tends to happen. I quite enjoy it so far though, and really love the way it looks, with that kind of plastic look to it. I think the game itself looks gorgeous.
>>
>>257673696
It's nowhere near bad. It's just as good as the previous 2. Maybe even better.
>>
>>257673696
First off what was bad about it?
>>
>>257674339
>Formidable Oak
>Shitty
Uh, no? It was tense as shit and an interesting variation on the gameplay.
>>
It's best Pikmin.
>>
>>257674339
>Formidable Oak was a shitty finale
Lol?
>>
File: 1407362698708.png (200 KB, 356x256) Image search: [Google]
1407362698708.png
200 KB, 356x256
>>257674439
>buzzwords
Such a shame, I was about to take you seriously.
>>
>>257674439
Yeah nevermind. Not even gonna bother posting the low quality bait pic.
>>
It's got the best overworld but the worst bosses IMO. Nothing made me shit myself until the swamp creature.
>>
>>257673696
2>3>1
eat shit
>>
>>257674439
I would consider replying to this but it's clearly bait.
>>
>>257674439
It's too early in the morning for me to reply to this shit but I'll make you're day by replying anyway.
>>
So what was the deal with the plasm wraith? It stole the gold plating from the ship, but why? Does it just like gold?

Also, I noticed that it's still alive at the end. Will it come back in Pikmin 4?
>>
I'm really hating the loss of the C stick controls when trying to control the Pikmin. Seems like a lot more are dying just because it doesn't have that control.
>>
>>257674682
The only boss that I was truly upset with was the Scornet Maestro, and that's because there's no way to drain more than a quarter of its health away at each attacking opportunity.
>>
3>1>2

Although I like replaying 1 more since it's so short.
>>
>>257674571
>>257674587
Formidable Oak was bad because there was no real threat. When the day ended, you didn't lose anything for it. You just dropped Olimar and went back to the ship. I know you weren't intended to complete it all in one day, but it would have been a much better level if it was built that way.

Plus, you can trick the plasm wraith by hiding Olimar in the water or just flying above it. The final boss fight is legit as hell though.
>>
>>257674682
The bosses weren't horrifying until the Swamp and the Final Boss, but I would argue that very few in the Pikmin series are.

The way they kill Pikmin is the most horrifying aspect of the bosses, or how helpless you feel as you fight. That feeling doesn't amp up until the last stage or so.
>>
>>257674957
I didn't even know that but it didn't prevent it from being interesting and putting the 3 captains and all the pikmin types to work. Also the music was the stuff of nightmares
>>
>>257674863
I understand the feeling, but dodging worked just as well for me- even when Pikmin ended up caught somewhere I could easily maneuver them out of it.

>>257674957
Yeah, so you lost a day and failed to bring Olimar back to the ship. Depending on how well you manage shortcuts, etc you still end up losing progress/Pikmin spawned/juice.
>>
File: mushrooms.jpg (28 KB, 468x282) Image search: [Google]
mushrooms.jpg
28 KB, 468x282
I thought it was pretty neat how the mushrooms in the beginning condition the player to toss Pikmin on top of Bulborbs. Especially since the smaller ones were destroyed in one hit if a Pikmin landed on top of them.
>>
File: 31.jpg (43 KB, 510x542) Image search: [Google]
31.jpg
43 KB, 510x542
I started it the other day, and I fucking love it. Sorry you can't enjoy good video games, OP.
>>
>>257674439
>he does it for free
>>
>>257674693
This. 2 had its flaws but the sheer amount of content made up for that. I get why some people don't like not having a time limit, but comfy is a feeling that goes well with this series. Caves were pretty casual but balanced that with atmosphere and tough monsters. Shit felt like a proper dungeon crawl. 3 was back to basics, but made excellent use of the Wii U hardware. The controller is really useful for strategizing. The visuals are fucking beautiful. The pikmin types are also neat. The only real problem with it is the length. I'd also posit that area bosses don't work so well for Pikmin. Multiple mini-bosses and full-fledged bosses in each level is the way to go.
>>
>>257676107
But 3 does have multiple mini-bosses. It pretty much has multiple full-fledged bosses too, but the area bosses are just checkpoints that force the player to specialize around specific Pikmin.
>>
>>257676332
Really? I don't remember minibosses (in the story mode at least). Still, I wasn't a fan of putting a final boss in each level. I guess it's because it felt too cinematic for me the way they executed it. In the other games, all the bosses felt more like actual creatures you might stumble upon on an alien world instead of Boss Monster #3. The designs were cool and all that, but it's the way they framed the battles.
>>
So I will admit I never played the first two, always wanted but always put it off. So I played 3. I enjoyed it, my sibling had great laughs at how retarded the pikmins were(were they always like that?) at getting stuck in a corner ramp or some shit. But the game was super short, neat little end area and boss. Are the previous games just as short and pikmin retarded like 3?
>>
>>257676868
The Pikmin are probably smartest in 3. They get distracted pretty easily in 1, though 2 has some good Pikmin AI.
>>
>>257676868
3 has the best pikmin AI.
It's potentially longer than Pikmin 1, but much shorter than Pikmin 2.
>>
I don't hate the game, but it's definitely the one I like the least out of all. It's got so many little problems that just make it worse in my eyes. The controls are worse than the previous games is a pretty big deal in my eyes, even if I use a wiimote the game still forces the use of the gamepad for basic things like looking at the map.

The way that the areas are all broken up with little transitions really killed some of the cohesiveness, some of the bosses were really annoying to fight due to camera issues. Collecting fruit is a lot more boring than collecting treasures/spaceship parts which all had unique descriptions and little stories to them, where as several fruits are reused multiple times.

Biggest offense in my eyes is the way they completely gutted the Piklopedia from 2 which I really liked and think is unforgivable. I liked reading all that info and it actually gave Olimar much more personality than you'd see just playing the game, which is something these characters really needed. The characters are really one note, every time Britanny opened her mouth it was some bitching about Charlie 99% of the time.
>>
>How was this game so bad?

Simple, it wasn't. It was fucking great. 9/10 game would play again and again to get better at it.
>>
>>257674439
>These reasons

What the fuck am I reading. Have you EVER played a Pikmin game?
>>
>>257676868
You get more control over your pikmin's movements int he earlier games.

One stick would direct the pikmin to move, within a certain distance of the player.
You could hold a direction to make the pikmin assume a line formation in the direction to get them to move across narrow terrain without falling off.
You could move them out of the way of danger
If you move them into an object they can interact with, they would interact with it. So you didn't have to throw or focus and "charge" like in 3.

Basically, the old games actually control better.
>>
>>257677346
>they completely gutted the Piklopedia from 2

Holy shit, this.
>>
>>257677547
>the old games actually control better.
I wouldn't say that. It's just the one feature that is missing.
Frankly, I prefer the charge command to the c-stick control. The only reason I miss the c-stick march is the music that plays when you do it.
>>
>>257674863
Are you playing with the Wiimote? The mass attack thing made up for it.
>>
>>257677816
Charge command is less versatile and requires more inputs to preform.

Strict downgrade
>>
>>257678134
It's actually a lot better because you just shake the nunchuck and all your Pikmin charge. It's much quicker than having to direct them all into the enemy.

Also, I think c-sticking flying Pikmin would have been incredibly awkward and confusing.
>>
>>257678134
It's important to remember that this game was initially in development for the Wii and that C-sticking was not an option for them. The two ports on the Wii used down on the D-Pad plus the cursor to direct Pikmin, which isn't quite as easy to control.
>>
I have had this unopened for 6 months now sitting on my shelf. How bad is it? I've never played a Pikmin game before so I don't have expectations, just how is it as a game?
>>
>>257678513
>The two ports on the Wii used down on the D-Pad plus the cursor to direct Pikmin, which isn't quite as easy to control.
It was easier than having to lock on to something and then shaking the nunchuck.
>>
>>257678654
It's fine, actually really good.
>>
>>257674037
How did Miyamoto ruin Metroid?
>>
>>257678654
It's an easy 8/10.
>>
>>257678654
If you've never played a Pikmin game you'll probably enjoy it.
>>
>>257678669
It's finicky at times.
Really, I never had problems locking on to targets. It takes less than half a second to pull off and most targets are big enough to lock on easily.
>>
>>257678654
I had never played a Pikmin game or even an RTS before Pikmin 3 and I fucking loved it. I think the progression is spot on, and I really had a blast with all the time management stuff.

I have since played 1 and 2 and I still like 3 the best.
>>
>>257677346
Also the game and areas in general just feel a lot less large then the first two.
And maybe it's just me but something just felt off about the way the levels were designed, like they weren't as good in some way that I cant put my finger on
>>
>>257678654
It's a solid game. It's just depressingly short, especially compared to how much Pikmin 2 had to offer
>>
>>257678787
He let them release Other M.
>>
>>257678669
I just played through both and I found the lock on to be much more helpful. The dpad trick always left a handful of pikmin with me any time I was trying to send them all to a wall or an enemy.
>>
>>257678964
It's because of all the transitions that they have when you move from one 'section' of the map to another. All of the areas in 1+2 were just one big cohesive map, where as in 3 there all broken up.
>>
>>257678759
>>257678798
>>257678820
>>257678896
>>257678965
Thanks. I've seen posts in other threads negative about so I was beginning to worry.
>>
>>257678441
>Also, I think c-sticking flying Pikmin would have been incredibly awkward and confusing.

How so? It would just be like directing all the other pikmin. it wouldn't direct them in three dimensions, just on the X and Y axis, they can simply pass over any terrain.
>>
>>257679045
Yeah, because a director who has no experience or stake in the franchise should have just shut down production on a game that had nothing to do with him. Its clearly his fault and not anyone else involved.

You're the type of person who will blame the president for anything that goes wrong in the country no matter what it is, aren't you?
>>
>>257679229
And how would you direct flying pikmin to an object on the ground? And blue pikmin to an object at the water's surface?
>>
>>257674439
>pikmin
>worried about the writing and characters
Holy shit. You're being serious aren't you?
>>
The Pikmin are still too fucking retarded to excuse the lack of manual c-stick pikmin control. If I want to make them to hug a wall to stay far away from a snoozing enemy, too bad. If I want to send a chunk of them to pick something up, I can't; instead, I have to individually throw the amount I want one at a time like a jackass or force them all to "charge" the object and whistle back the ones that stayed behind because there was no room. It's unnecessarily tedious. There are no interesting treasures, upgrades, and the game is pretty dang short.
>>
>>257673696
>>257674439
What the fuck is wrong with you? I think you need medical attention.
>>
>>257679374
>And how would you direct flying pikmin to an object on the ground?
Move them over the object like every other pikmin.
>And blue pikmin to an object at the water's surface?
What do you mean here? I don't remember the charge command being able to do that either. Either way you just throw them instead in that case.
>>
>>257679374
The detection range for intractable objects would be infinite in the Z direction
So if there's any object above or below them that they can interact with, they'll just go to it.

Then just add rules so that flying pikmin don't try to go under water, and ground pikmin don't try to go for stuff that's a certain distance off the ground.

easy
>>
>>257679834
Blue pikmin can swim to attack enemies off the floor of the water body.
>>
One of my biggest gripes was how the three player characters are just expys of the three from Pikmin 2

>Olimar=Alph
>Brittany=Louie
>Charlie=Prez
>>
File: Quaggled_mireclops.png (1 MB, 678x564) Image search: [Google]
Quaggled_mireclops.png
1 MB, 678x564
Guys any tips for this boss?
>>
>>257680680
Throw Pikmin at it.
>>
>>257680680
Use flying pikmin and spicy spray
>>
Only thing I really disliked about the game was the missing product placement treasures.
>>
>>257680680
Bring 20 rocks and 80 blues.
Once the stone is broken get the rocks out of the room and just use blues. Swarm his feet the second he puts it down and he'll blow before he takes another step.
Remember the telegraph for his tongue attack and retreat as soon as you see it.
>>
>>257680680
Bring mostly blue pikmin so you don't lose random units to drowning

Focus a foot.
It changes up the animation it does for it's charge attack when it gets low health.
Watch first so you don't throw pikmin off cycle and get them stomped on.

When it's down, run on top and throw everything at him.
If you do enough damage, the stagger that happens will release any pikmin he might have grabbed with his tongue circling attack before he actually eats them.

All in all, not actually that tough of a boss.
>>
>>257674439

I think you're confusing Pikmin with Boarderlands. I don't know how.
>>
File: 1385934645043.png (221 KB, 400x410) Image search: [Google]
1385934645043.png
221 KB, 400x410
>>257674439
These are all stereotypical /v/ shitposts.
I say we de-rail the thread into actual discussion
>>
File: normal speed.png (260 KB, 820x689) Image search: [Google]
normal speed.png
260 KB, 820x689
>>257674339
>It was better than Pikmin 2
>>
>>257677346
>In my eyes.
>>
>>257680530
>Brittany=Louie
>Olimar=Alph
>Charlie=Prez
Are you retarded?
Olimar is the only sane man and is an experienced captain. Alph has a unhealthy relationship with Charlie.

Charlie himself is a grizzled idiot while the president is a big nervous bafoon instead.

Brittany is a smart conniving bitch while Louie is just an idiot who can't keep his hunger in check.
>>
>>257676868
I've only ever got one Pikmin stuck, and that was while figthing one of those giant spiders things

The guy landed in the middle of the non plyable stage and pretty much went underground

He didn't even showed up to be eaten after dark
>>
>>257683249
May I take advise on W101 here?

I don't see another Wii U thread that is not shitposting bait anyway
>>
>>257680680
Also once you get its health in yellow it'll swipe its tongue twice.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.