[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you consider Mario/Pokemon games good if you didn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 9
File: 1407434455594.png (421 KB, 645x533) Image search: [Google]
1407434455594.png
421 KB, 645x533
Would you consider Mario/Pokemon games good if you didn't grew up playing those?

Aren't they just rehashes with little to no new content?
>>
>>257507959

If I never ever played Pokemon before I don't think I would touch it now.

So no, I don't think so. And yes they're basically rehashes with limited new content each release, but you already knew that.
>>
Yes because they're good in my opinion and don't come out every year. If they came out as often as CoD or Madden I'd think otherwise, I'm sure.
>>
>>257507959
Yes, at least the mainline games. They're still great video games. And they don't have yearly releases.
>>
>mario games
good to fantastic. There are no bad mainline mario platformers (or RPGs). The spinoff are MOSTLY not shit.
>pokemon games
shit to good, nothing mindblowing here.
>>
>>257507959

I doubt I'd play any pokemon games if I hadn't played the first few gens so much from the start.

That being said, there's something lost to the magic of the game. Instead of just grabbing a mon that looks neat and leveling it, you google it, check it's stats, get a movepool, breed for ~3 hours, EV train and pump up to lvl 50 now. Anything less and you feel "uncompetitive."

But maybe I've just gotten old and hate fun for fun's sake.
>>
>>257507959
I was just thinking about something similar today where pokemon is a type of RPG, right? But unlike most RPGs you have a minimum of 150 available party members who usually can only fight in one on one battles. Why aren't there some RPGs with a shit ton of human party members you can get? The only ones that jump to mind are I think Suikoden and Chrono Cross.
>>
>>257513472
Pokemon doesn't have a story. A normal RPG would need a good story and background for each character as well or the players, especially /v/ would bitch about it.
>>
>mario
pretty good mechanics, pretty fun, has decent audio, has limit on how bad games can get usually, enough of them that you can find one that fits right and then you can go find mods/hacks of it.

>Pokemon
Creatively alright, lots of regions+hacks for you to fuck around in, but holy shit Gamefreak sucks at programming.
>>
>>257513993
Why can't it have a throw away story like pokemon usually does? If the game play is fun enough then that's all it would need.
>>
>>257507959
I was going to say kids these days didn't grow up with mario and pokemon but in reality mario is bigger than ever, and pokemon is still pretty popular
>>
>>257513472
>150 available party
But there's 719 Pokemon you stupid shit.
There hasn't been only 150 Pokemon for a very very long time.
>>
File: 1407349268704.gif (430 KB, 480x269) Image search: [Google]
1407349268704.gif
430 KB, 480x269
>>257507959
Mario is good, but it's an incredibly tired formula because it perfected 2d platforming too quickly and had no room to improve, and set the standard for 3d platforming, but did the same thing.

Pokemon could definitely have some improvements, and it definitely seems like a rehash series to someone who doesn't keep up with its intricacies. But each new game tweaks little things to counteract overplayed strategies as well as add small touches to make each game unique. But the core game is always the same and it feels repetitive.

I have nostalgia goggles, but they aren't tinted.

Also, nothing is a bigger rehash than cawadoody. Literally the same mindlessly garbage game rehashed every year like clockwork with DLC out the asscrack and spawning the most obnoxious wannabe-military expert dudebros that snicker at your taste in games because you woulx have to be some kind of babby faggot to not play anything else.
>>
>>257507959
I was a sega genesis kid and never owned a nintendo console until the wii and 3ds a I really liked the mario galaxy games, i think pokemon is ok but not that great.
>>
pokemon is essentially nintendos cod

its rehashed to death with minimal changes. real fanboys defend the games to the death and are blinded to any of the games actual flaws
>>
>>257513472

Check out Radiata Stories.

Amazing RPG where you can recruit pretty much everyone in the game.
>>
File: Radiata.jpg (473 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Radiata.jpg
473 KB, 1024x768
>>257516454

176 recruitable characters to be exact apparently.
>>
>>257516340
Doesn't stop me from putting hundreds of hours into each game
>>
>>257516618
Just like the former.
Both fambases are terrible.

Reminder that X and Y is half-baked shit and B2W2 is better
>>
As someone who played sega and sony since way back then

Super Mario bros 2, New U, 3D Land and world are the only good ones in my opinion.
>>
>>257511296
But Pokemon DOES come out as often as cod
>>
>>257516806
I actually skipped out on gen 5
It's true that the post-game of X and Y is almost non-existant, except for competitive gaming of course.
I'm still hyped for Hoenn remakes
>>
>>257517146
Don't they only release new gens every 4 years?
They have 6 gens and they've been making games since what 1991ish?
>>
>>257515149
Pokemon is just as bad as Cod, though
>>
>>257517335
They've released a mainline Pokemon game every year since 2007
>>
>>257517460
And all of them a new gen after the last?
Where the fuck are my gen 11 games then?
>>
>>257517460

If you're going to count remakes and third editions like a faggot then sure.
>>
Would you consider games like Mario Sunshine or Galaxy 1 to be rehashes? I don't think the changes they made were insignificant nor gimmicky.
>>
There are more Pokemon games than Cowadoody. I can't even keep track of them, didn't they already cover every color out there so now they have to move into code name X Y Z shit?
>>
>>257517335
Yeah, but what about remakes and stuff like third versions?
Since 2007 we've got
Diamond/Pearl
Platinum
Gold/Silver remakes
Black/White
Black/White 2
X/Y
and now this year: Saphir/Ruby remakes
That's 7 games in 7 years
>>
>>257517659
There is technically only six.
>>
>>257517726
Personally
I don't count midgen games.
>>
>>257517659
The first and fifth gen were the only ones to be named after colors. Gen 2 - 4 were named after Minerals
>>
>>257517726
Hmm, true. I guess I never bother thinking of them as I only ever buy one of the new gen games. I did buy Soul Silver though and neither of the white/black or the sequel.
>>
>>257517569
Give me a reason why they wouldn't count.

They are mainline Pokemon games, no?
>>
>>257517553
>And all of them a new gen after the last?

When did I say this?
>>
>>257518069
Because it's like counting the different platform releases of games as different games. Ya dingleberry
>>
>>257507959
>Would you consider Mario/Pokemon games good if you didn't grew up playing those?

yes
>>
>>257518167
So Silver and SoulSilver are comparable to, say, Twilight Princess for GC and Twiligh Princess for Wii?

Thats silly
>>
>>257518305
Not really, it's the same game, just using the hardware of the current system. It isn't a new game you silly.
>>
>>257507959
I actually have grown out of Pokemon games, not because they are bad, but because they are always the same. Or at least they certainly feel that way.

I was extremely confused when I saw people genuinely excited for the new remakes, and then I remembered that they were probably some people's first pokemon games.
>>
>>257518305
No that would make more sense if it was Twilight princess for the gamecube to Windwaker on the Wii u, since Soul Silver was on the DS and Silver the Gameboy.
>>
>>257518069
Counting third editions is like counting Fallout 3, and Fallout 3 GOTY edition (With all add-ons included) as different mainline games.
And counting remakes to the mainline is just stupid
>>
Aside from HG/SS, I honestly think Pokemon is pretty terrible. It had very little to do with nostalgia, because I'd go play Yellow for nostalgia.

Mario on the other hand, I think it's actually decent. They change things up enough in the main games and keep it fun and fresh.
>>
>>257518402
So then GameFreak has released the same game 5 times?

Those guys are goofs
>>
>>257518510
>Fallout 3, and Fallout 3 GOTY edition

F3 and F3GOTY aren't advertised as separate games. Pokemon games are.

>And counting remakes to the mainline is just stupid

And the reason is....?
>>
>>257518658
Well actually, they released 3 games twice.
>>
>>257518767
>Advertising decides if a game is mainline or not

The remakes add nothing new to the game, neither story, nor gameplay. They are just a remastered version of an old game.

Do you count the Last of Us for PS4 as a new mainline game?
>>
>>257519418
>The remakes add nothing new to the game, neither story, nor gameplay.

SoulSilver added that new Safari zone tyoe thing, Poke-athlon, Following Pokemon, and other shit.

They have different names for a reason.
>>
>>257520318
Following pokemon were in yellow
safari zone is in basically every pokemon game
Technically was in silver and gold
Pokeathalon You can have.
>>
>>257507959
I think Mario games and Pokemon games generally have enough new content to merit not being called rehashes. A lot of Mario games are real gems and there are far lazier sequels out there and tons of different and good spin-offs

Pokemon, I don't know, it's hard to tell. I think if you played the newest one, you'd play the next, but wouldn't rush to go back and play the old ones. But I don't think that necessarily means that they're rehashes. The games just don't hold up after an update without the nostalgia factor.
>>
>>257520738
>>257520318
Oh and not to get all cheeky
But gen 4 had following pokemon already
>>
For Pokemon, I probably wouldn't get into it because it would be too much to process and catch up on. But as someone who has played it since the beginning, I love the new species, regions, music, mechanics, abilities, etc that each new generation brings.

Mario, yes, definitely. Those games are solid and simple, pure fun that just about anybody can enjoy.

Neither are rehashes, outside of maybe the NSMB series, and the hate for that is way higher than necessary.
>>
There has never been a bad mainline Mario game. Pokemon, on the other hand...
>>
>>257521361
I honestly found Mario 3D land and 3D world to be very disappointing
>>
>If you had never played them before, would you consider them rehashes
If I hadn't played any previous games in the series I wouldn't care that they were "rehashes" since it would be 100% new to me.
>>
>>257521826
Be honest, did you play them?
>>
>>257522567
Yes, I played both of them.
>>
>>257507959
no
>>
I know I'm in the minority here, but my console was the PS1 and have been a Sonygger all my life, never touching a Nintendo game.

I played a Nintendo game for the first time in 2012: Super Mario Galaxy. And I fucking loved it. For the past two years I've been mostly binging on Nintendo games, old and new, which I sorely needed to catch up on. Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon, all of them. I can definitely acknowledge that not all games in these franchises are good but for the most part they're consistently great. I really wish I had an idort life growing up now.

So to answer OP's question: yes, yes I would.
>>
>>257517283
>Skipping out on gen 5

Anon, gen 5 has the most evolved in a main pokemon game

Competitively however, you missed out on Politoed and Nintails on every team, so you got lucky there.
>>
>>257524164
Well, I actually finished the main story of White and never touched it again. I rushed the game pretty much and don't even know half of the pokemon. I saw White 2 for 10 bucks a few days ago, but since X and Y are out, I don't think I could really enjoy the game.
>>
>>257524518
You can still enjoy it, especially if you bother doing Memory Links so you can catch N's pokemon and other little things.
>>
>>257524748
Maybe I'll pick it up later today.
>>
I have a friend who didn't grow up with Pokemon at all and he got into it around the time of black/white and he loved it
>>
>>257523663
Holy shit man, I'm doing the exact same thing in reverse. I just finished Kingdom Hearts and it blew my mind how fun it was.

As for OP, a good game is a good game nostalgia or not. People need to loosen up about their favorite games and accept all opinions whether they agree or not, always remembering that it's special to them for reasons nobody can dispute.
>>
>>257524164
>tfw I actually liked weather wars

I don't know why, but comparatively I find sixth-gen meta pretty boring. It was much more interesting before Pokemon Bank.
>>
>grew up with the first Mario
>wouldn't touch the sequels with a ten foot pool
>>
>>257507959
Mario series has plenty of unique series that are different from each other. Pokemon has some other series outside the mainline, but only one that made it past 1 game was Mystery Dungeon
>>
>>257525292

I see where you're coming from. We all kinda to the same shit from yesteryear because we could finally send our old bros over.
>>
File: Dali.png (205 KB, 480x336) Image search: [Google]
Dali.png
205 KB, 480x336
>>257525167
Well, I grew up with Playstation 1 and NES/SNES. I liked the original Mario, I fucking loved the Pokemon anime, franchise and the idea of collecting monster and leveling them up.

For some reason though I absolutely had no interested in later Mario games, I tried to get into Pokemon during GBA era and found it to be very bland as well.

I've recently bought a 3DS and just wanted to confirm my feeling for these series, I still has no interest in these games but seeing how much they're being praised and being recommended as must play I'm a little confused. But I guess I won't be getting either after all.
>>
Mario is alright. Grew up with Pokemon so I don't know.
>>
>>257525464
>but only one that made it past 1 game was Mystery Dungeon

>Ranger
>Colosseum and Gale of Darkness
>Stadium
>Trozei

Looks like you have some catching up to do.
>>
>>257525574
Don't try to force an interest, that will only make you more sour on the series' than before. If it's not for you then so be it, don't let people tell you what you are supposed to like. I know this is /v/ and those are meaningless words here, but it's the same thing with the board. If everyone keeps trying to force the same interests we end up with the same thread over and over where the same games go under the same scrutiny and praise forever.

Just play the games you enjoy and if you like them, start threads about them or whatever. I hate to see people forcing themselves just because pushy people think the things they like are perfection and mandatory. You can respect the impact and design of Mario and Pokemon games without liking or playing them, and that's a-ok.
>>
>>257512643
No you're right anon. When I got my friends back into Pokemon, it was fun. Then they started EV training and IV breeding. We couldn't have fun battles after that. Their Pokemon were just leagues better than mine. There wasn't much point to the battles anymore when my Friend's Blaziken would just sweep my entire fucking team. I can't imagine it was that much fun for him either. All he had to do was press the same move to win 6 times. Before those times, playing with our non IV or EV thought out Pokemon meant an element well roundedness kept most of the Pokemon on a relative level playing field where our unique team combinations, moves, and Pokemon made the battles interesting and fresh. Once there was a clear difference in the innate abilities of our Pokemon, it was like an NBA player going beast mode in a friendly game of 21. An F1 car vs a Prius.
>inb4 git gud
Ain't nobody got no time for that.
>>
>>257514926
>minimum of 150
Damn get some reading comprehension and stop being so spastic shiiit.
>>
>>257526431
I EV train my Pokemon and battle with friends who EV train theirs. It's fun to try and break highly competitive teams with less-used Pokemon. Or at least, for me and my friends it is.

I will agree that it kind of sucks the soul out of the game, though. Individual Pokemon no longer feel special. I keep the mons I went through the game with, but then I keep finding them to be a waste of space in the PC.
>>
>>257514234
>but holy shit Gamefreak sucks at programming.
Lolwut?
>>
>>257507959
But I didn't grow up with those, I was a SEGA kid and then jumped to the Sony boat.
Yet I enjoyed the Twilight princess, haven't played any other Nintendo game though.
>>
File: 1403854562697.jpg (84 KB, 708x1000) Image search: [Google]
1403854562697.jpg
84 KB, 708x1000
>>257526946
>Twilight Princess
>Mario or Pokemon series
>>
>>257526946
Twilight Princess is very much the sort of game I could imagine playing on the PS2. Some of the forest and castle areas of RE4 reminded me of TP a lot when I played it.
>>
>>257526701
I would love to play with some interesting strategies of EV trained and (maybe) even IV bred mons. I'm not mad that my friends do it, It's just kind of lame when they know you aren't trying that hard and then they bring in their A-Team.
I already have an idea what kind of team I eventually want to put together once I get the time to really get into breeding and team balancing.
What ended up happening was that the first friend I brought in wasn't interested in EVs and IVs either until my other friend got into it. Once he got killed by my friend's EV/IV team, he started getting into it. Then another friend got back into Pokemon, curb stomped both of them, after a little more time, they dropped it altogether.
>>
>>257527963
If you look on /vp/ you can get some great pokes to help with IV breeding. If it wasn't so late I'd help you out myself if you wanted.

But yeah that's kind of dickish of your friends to bring trained mons to a funsies match.
>>
>>257528667
I frequent /vp/. Been there since that first bulba post actually. I'm actually a pretty big fan. I don't generally go on showdown threads or wi-fi general but I did get a nice shiny treecko from some good anon in anticipation for ORAS.
>>
>>257519418
>The remakes add nothing new to the game, neither story, nor gameplay
Thanks for letting us know you've literally never played a Pokemon game.
>>
>>257526732
Pokemon X/Y has framedrops out the ass, usually running at lower than 30 FPS
Yet much better looking games like RE:R, Kid Icarus and Smash never dip
>>
>>257529228
In a turn based strategy game, it's hardly a big deal. It was also Game Freak's first jump to full fledged 3D models instead of sprites.
That said, you are pointing at one hiccup. Do you have any other anecdotes because I've played all generations of Pokemon and by and large, Game Freak seems to put out well polished games.
>>
>>257529436
I believe it was Iwata that had to come down and work on G/S because Gamefreak couldn't fit all of Johto on one cartridge. Iwata shrank it so much that they decided to throw on Kanto too since they had room.
>fps doesn't matter cause it's an RPG
It makes the game look like shit, and adding to the fact that it isn't a graphically demanding game at all makes it unacceptable, especially from a gigantic company like Gamefreak.
>>
>Mario
Yes. Amazing gameplay, replayability and creativity.

>Pokemon
No. People only like it because it's babby's first RPG. Explorers of Sky is the exception because Explorers of Sky is a fucking masterpiece.
>>
>>257529581
You should have brought up the first games which are notorious for having a lot of bugs and glitches.
Now you are bringing up examples from when the company was still new.
Regardless, Game Freak took steps to have it properly coded. The Game Freak of 1999 isn't the gamefreak of 2014. It's bigger and more resourceful.
RSE, FRLG, DPPt, HGSS, BWB2W2 all seemed relatively well put together. It's not as if any game isn't without it's faults.
Not perfect=/=shit
>and adding to the fact that it isn't a graphically demanding game at all makes it unacceptable
It's a 3DS game recall. Also it probably uses a lot of data just on the 700+ pokemon alone and the battle mechanics. The FPS drops are usually in horde battles and even then it's noticeable but not "shit". It doesn't make the game look like "shit". I really wanted to hear why you felt that way because I haven't heard anything about modern GF being shit at programming before. I wasn't expecting hyperbole.
>>
>>257529928
I liked Blue explorer team
>>
>>257516597
Holy shit those eyes
>>
>>257530160
That's like a prototype of Sky
>>
>>257507959
>Aren't they just rehashes with little to no new content?

That's usually a statement I hear from people who've played little to none of the games in the first place.
>>
I didn't play a main mario game until I was 14 because my parents never got me a nintendo console. I still fucking love the series.
>>
>>257529928
>People only like it because it's babby's first RPG.
Whenever I hear people say this I know they are talking out of their ass.
Something on the order of 718 different party members in any combination of a 6 member team. Each has access to some dozen moves; 4 at a time. Each has one or more possible unique abilities. 6 different visible stats, and a few that aren't apparent. DIfferent status effects; burn, paralyze, sleep, and so on. Effort values, and individual values. Held items. Type effectivenesses. Forme Changes. Priority. Weather. Double battles.
Go try to battle someone on wi-fi and see what happens.
>>
File: 1407136539400.png (222 KB, 408x462) Image search: [Google]
1407136539400.png
222 KB, 408x462
>>257530380
I still liked it
>>
>>257529928
>People only like it because it's babby's first RPG

Most multi-million selling RPGs are all babby's first RPG. Games like Paper Mario: TTYD, FF7, FF6 and Chrono Trigger which make the top RPGs of all time lists are all in the same boat as Pokémon.
>>
>>257531073

Oh yeah WRPGs like Fable and the later Elderscrolls games are babby's first RPG as well.
>>
>>257530785
I get wrecked by a point-pinching OU-toting autism with way too much time on his hands? The people who actually care enough about the game's mechanics to grind invisible statboosting tasks for every Pokemon for months is a very, very small minority. You did not play Red or Silver with intricate knowledge of the system, or multiplayer for that matter.
>>
I grew up with mario games and never got that into them.
I mean they're well made games and enjoyable platformers but I don't find them very exciting.
>>
>>257531073
Babby's first RPG refers to the fact that people are blown away by everything mainstay to RPGs - Leveling up, the presence of a story and characters etc. Thing is, with those other games, the fact that they're baby's first RPG is hardly the main focus at hand.

>Paper Mario: TTYD
Fantastic writing and very creative.

>FF7
Revolutionary approach, modernized the entire genre.

>FF6
Unique interpretation of steampunk, broke many typical RPG clichés.

>Chrono Trigger
Simply a masterpiece.

>Pokemon
Grinding and tedium. Barebones RPG with quantity before quality.
>>
>>257531162
That didn't stop it from advancing as rpg. People don't just say this because it was their first rpg. It isn't like most rpgs. People don't play it for it's great story or characters. People play it for the hundreds of monsters with unique attributes. They play to explore the region and collect. They play for the competitive scene. It's a little ignorant to think that Pokemon has maintained it's spot in the industry solely on nostalgia.
>>
>>257512063
>>pokemon games
>shit to good

The reverse is true, noob-to-earth faggot.
>>
>>257531506
No, it has maintained its position based on marketability and absolutely rabid fanbase. You're extremely naive if you think quality is what keeps Pokemon going, not even Mario has that luxury. Galaxy 2 got beaten by the vastly inferior NSMB in every regard.
>>
>>257531704
New super mario bros 1 and U were pretty good. Just saying. Luigi U too if you want to count that.
>>
>>257531447
I think you misunderstand the appeal of pokemon. It doesn't appeal for the usual reasons most rpgs appeal to people; story, characters. Pokemon like other great rpgs has deep battle mechanics however it can also be easily accessible. How many other games can appeal equally to casuals and tourneyfags, children and adults? The story and characters in pokemon are pretty bland and redundant. But people love pokemon because people love to customize, they love favorites, they love variety.
>grinding and tedium
You described the whole genre of rpgs. Pokemon doesn't require you do any obscene amount of grinding to get through the main story. It just happens to allow different styles of play and post game content.
>>
>>257531704
> it has maintained its position based on marketability and absolutely rabid fanbase
Hmmm and I wonder why?
>>
>>257532006
>How many other games can appeal equally to casuals and tourneyfags, children and adults?

See, that's the issue. To enjoy Pokemon, you're a either casual or a tourneyfag. I'm neither.

>>257532253
The worst TV show ever known to man, porn and toys.
>>
>>257532391
Well I'm sorry it's not for you. That's like really fucking ok
>>
probably not. to be honest with you, i think the only reason i liked pokemon r/b+g/s is because i could remember the first time i heard the anime theme and fell in love with the show when i was like 8 years old.

i remember freaking out when i saw a mew sprite after getting missingo and cheaking my elite 4 record.

pokemon is kind of bland otherwise
>>
It seems that people who call Pokemon a rehash tend to be the people that know very little about it

Yes, the series follows the same general progression of collecting badges and defeating the evil team/Pokemon League in the main games. That's part of what made the original games stand out. It's not like they don't make games without that, they make lots of them and they're called spinoffs. The same thing happens with plenty of other series but nobody ever seems to call that out.

Despite following the same kind of progression the games differ greatly mainly in the optional content. Emerald, Platinum, HGSS, and BW2 are all games that I think to be great and arguably the best in the series because they all have different optional things to do in them. Emerald has the best postgame battle area with the original Battle Frontier. Platinum has a largely expanded story from DP and a fair amount of postgame content. HGSS fixes some of Gen 2's biggest flaws by making Kanto into an actual second region with plenty to do, even just simply maintaining the original content from RBY/FRLG, while also adding a lot of extra content to Johto to make it less barren, notably a Battle Frontier and the Pokeathlon. BW2 has the Pokemon World Tournament and a massive postgame checklist, from tons of legendaries old and new to unique concepts like Black Tower/White Treehollow. If Game Freak had any sense they'd simply add on to the content with each new game rather than removing things regularly, but at least it makes the older games worth replaying.

As for the competitive scene, they actually make a large effort to make drastic changes to the metagame with each new generation, from gameplay mechanics like the Physical/Special split in Gen 4 to simply adding more diversity in moves and pokemon. It's a testament to that design that the usage rates and cookie cutter teams of each gen are vastly different and that people still play simulators of all those different generation metas.
>>
>>257533656
That doesn't explain why it isn't a rehash. It's still the same game, with some improvements, add new monster and shuffled their abilities.
>>
>>257535640
> It's not like they don't make games without that, they make lots of them and they're called spinoffs. The same thing happens with plenty of other series but nobody ever seems to call that out.

It's the same template with significant differences. If you think it's the same game every time then that boils down to you not liking the core mechanics and therefore naming any differences that exist as superficial and unimportant. Not sure what other way to say it considering that you're stating something I already addressed in my initial post.
>>
>>257536005
Other games usually comes with a new story, new game mechanics and sometimes completely new battle system. Excluding obvious rehash like Cowadoody of course.

Pokemon doesn't have any significant change beside new monsters each "generation", think deep and tell me you are not defending it.
>>
>>257536391
Pokemon games do have a story. It's always been very minimalistic with the exception of Gen 5. You're confusing a simplistic overarching goal with a story. I already pointed out plenty of other things that change in each gen, and of course I'm defending it, why would I claim any different, and why is surprising in the slightest when people are so eager to nitpick Pokemon in particular compared to other series and do so in a way that simply parrots widespread opinions rather than provide their own thoughts? You know, like you're doing. If you wanna complain about rehashes so much why not start with your posts?
>>
>>257536391

You know that's rarely true. Nowadays we see new IPs that are more similar to older unrelated IP than differences in some existing ones between entries.
>>
Probably not. The combat is far too simplistic for my tastes.
>>
>>257536391
pokemon game mechanics change plenty, sure its still a turn based rpg but why should it be anything else? Majority of sequels these days change their gameplay less than pokemon does. usually major gameplay changes only happen when there's something fundamentally wrong with said gameplay, an issue pokemon does not have
>>
>>257537820
pokemon is simple largely cause of the shitty AI, the underlying mechanics are reasonably complex
>>
>>257517726
They have two different dev teams

A team and B team

A team did DPPt, BWBW2 and XY

B team did HGSS and are doing ORAS
>>
Most games in a series are simply rehashes though OP. So I can't subscribe to your selective logic.
>>
File: mirrors.jpg (180 KB, 934x1222) Image search: [Google]
mirrors.jpg
180 KB, 934x1222
>>257507959
What does one thing have to do with the other?

A rehash can still be a good game, especially if you don't know any prequels, which is pretty much what your question is aiming at (->getting previous experience / nostalgia out of the equation )

So, if you didn't have experience with a game series whatsoever, how would you be able to tell it's a rehash?
>>
>>257540597
That's nice to know.
I wonder if they're actually doing a gen 1 remake
I hope
>>
>>257542174
>I wonder if they're actually doing a gen 1 remake

FRLG already exists.
>>
>>257542392
well, FRLG were the next games after RS.
It also wouldn't make sense if they'd make a DPPt remake when FRLG is still older.
>>
File: 1375202776134.gif (2 MB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
1375202776134.gif
2 MB, 960x640
>>257507959
Yes. I don't even necessarily like games I happened to grow up with. For instance, Super Mario World was my first game ever, and I consider it a far more inferior game than, say, Yoshi's Island, which I played first when I was older.
>>
>>257507959
yeah. i used to hate Pokemon anime didnt even knew the games existed

but after i played the games
they prety good.
>>
File: Awesome mario.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Awesome mario.webm
3 MB, 640x360
Mario games are too hard
they dont teach you how to run. or how to jump
why does the enemies kill me in 1 hit
>>
>>257546829
>that webm
Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.