[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 10
File: 1-la-noire-banner.jpg (17 KB, 626x352) Image search: [Google]
1-la-noire-banner.jpg
17 KB, 626x352
What went wrong?
>>
>>257477903
But I liked that game.
>>
He died just as I began to like him
>>
>>257477903
Locked at 30 fps on PC. Seriously, what the fuck Rockstar
>>
The ending. Also the fact that it tells you when you got a question wrong straight away, I didn't like that, it took the mystery out of the cases. I'd know straight away if I was getting a bad result so I'd just restart the case.

>>257478963
Apparently that's something to do with the face capture technology, I've been told it starts acting screwy at high framerates.
>>
>>257478780
this
i got wet eyes at the ending, those faces are just too realistic bro
>>
Forced "video gamey" parts instead of just being a straight up detective procedural
>>
It's crazy how good those faces are though, it literally feels like you're looking at another person, all the tiny muscle movements can be seen in the game. It was just pretty average for a game though. I think it was mostly just a tech demo for R*
>>
>>257479901
This one. GTA overworled felt tacked on, shooting sequences felt forced.
>>
>>257477903
Besides the whole generic shooter section near the ending of a crime-solving/deep thinking game, not much else actually.
>>
I wish there was more bad liars in the game, there was only one or two that I'd slip up on, the rest were incredibly obvious.
>>
It wasn't Ecco The Dolphin: The Tides of Time for Sega Genisis, that's what went wrong
>>
You mean what went right? Cause it'd be a forgettable shit tier game like The Getaway if Rockstar wasn't involved.
>>
>>257480010
>>257479901
>too much of a video game
>artificial gameplay
>forced gameplay
This made me so angry I started screaming and swinging my office chair around above my head knocking all of my action figured won.

I'm shaking with anger so much I can barely type. Just fuck you. FUCK you. You're the reason video games are shit now
>why couldn't it be moree sc nxdsadcimemaic
>>
>>257480335
Fuck off, the good gameplay was in solving the cases. If they gutted the overworld and expanded on the clue system as well as having cases have multiple endings, then it would have been fantastic.
>>
>>257480335
Yes, that's exactly what I said. I want all video games to be dumbed down. It's not that a detective game should have actual detective work, clue-finding, problem solving, red harrings, or a comprehensible story. No, what it needs is corridor shooting that doesn't mean shit and an empty overworld that you can literally just skip driving through 90% of it. Those resources were totally worthwhile.
>>
>>257480517
>>257480728
Fuck off with your memes.
>>
>>257480819
Could you have made a more pointless post?
>>
>>257480050
Are you accusin' me of somethin', mistah?
>>
>>257481183
YOU'RE LYING, YOU WHORE.
>>
File: doubt.png (62 KB, 227x221) Image search: [Google]
doubt.png
62 KB, 227x221
>I KNOW YOU KILLED YOUR WIFE AND PUT HER BODY THROUGH A WOOD CHIPPER
>Oh yeah, what proof have ya got, copper?
>Ahem... I was, uh, just testing you.
>>
>>257477903
I hated how the story didn't really pick up until the end, and if you didn't find those newspapers through out the game, you missed out on a lot of the story. That fucking song at the title screen. I'm not the only one that would wait to actually start the game, am I?
>>
>>257481379
Nah man, Title screen was actually pretty cool.
>>
>>257477903
VERY IMPORTANT
Actor told to "look like you're lying"
Case ratings rather than encouraging living with the choices you'd made
The choices you made didn't make any difference
Player able to savescum

LESS IMPORTANT
little reason to explore the overworld
the inclusion of a "skip to destination" button
Low res facial textures
Dead eyes
>>
Was I the only one that didn't think the faces weren't all that realistic?
>>
>>257482123
I thought the faces were a bit wonky at times, they worked well enough though.
>>
>>257480335
To be fair, you're putting words in their mouth and they're objectively right.
>>
-Shootouts and arcade sequences really broke the immersion, should have been less frequent and a little bit more realistic.
-Ending felt rushed, the actual mission should have been less Rambo, more Chinatown.
-Interrogation system was a bit obtuse and should have offered you more tools in your arsenal, such as good cop/bad cop tactics, bluffing and the like.
-30fps or not, the PC port is sloppy.
>>
I actually liked it a lot.
>>
>>257482452
The doubt option was your bluff card but you're right about everything else
>>
>>257480335
Naw dog, it's people like you that influence the devs to include the shit that ruin the cake. There are other types of gameplay than just shooting a gun.
>>
>>257482420
I mean, it was enough to tell when someone was lying, but it certainly wasn't all they hyped it to be.
>>
File: doubt.jpg (9 KB, 171x211) Image search: [Google]
doubt.jpg
9 KB, 171x211
yfw Cole Phelps announced for smash.
>>
>>257482123
The issue I had with the faces was the textures. They needed to have more resolution. Not too much more, but more than they did.
>>
>>257482836
>lie
>if correct evidence is presented, 1 hit ko to opponent
>if no evidence is presented, phelps loses 1 stock
>>
>>257477903
The ending was shit. Exploring the map was boring and useless. Other than that, good game.
>>
That game had so much potential but it just farted itself into the trash. I don't know why they had to streamline the cases so hard, who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to have the controller go berzerk to find clues?

Imagine if there was a way that that stupid shit was taken out, and every interrogation gave you the option to be either Good Cop or Bad Cop instead of the bi-polar autist Cole Phelps was. I wish I had a dollar for every time I chose doubt and he flipped a shit.
>>
File: GH.jpg (153 KB, 440x506) Image search: [Google]
GH.jpg
153 KB, 440x506
>>257483362
>mfw I found almost all the cars
>>
>>257483487
Didn't "doubt" get changed from "accuse" late in development?
>>
>>257483692
It was so difficult. I tried to complete that game but I couldn't get those fucking cars or use all of the guns
>>
>>257483487
If I remember right, if he flips his shit and spergs out when you pick doubt, it means you were wrong.

>>257483864
If this is true, they should have left it as accuse. Because that's what he does when you "doubt", he makes an accusation. And if you don't have the proof behind it he sounds like a crazy person.
>>
>>257483864
Nah, you could only chose accuse if you were at the very end of a case but I think it was a separate process entirely
>>
>>257483970
I think the weirdest car I found was that German front door, 3 wheel car. Slow as shit, but neat to find it.
>>
File: 1329207959240.jpg (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1329207959240.jpg
6 KB, 225x225
>>257482123
>Was I the only one that didn't think the faces weren't all that realistic?
>didn't think the faces weren't
>The only one
>>
>>257484024
Yeah, there's a video somewhere and in one case, you flip out and accuse this did of killing his wife and he tells you he wasn't even there and phelps says something along the line of "I guess I was wrong"
>>
The idea was great, but the execution was horrible in some cases.

Especially the homicide case dragged on and on even though you already knew they're all innocent.
>>
File: bmw_isetta_250_1.jpg (274 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
bmw_isetta_250_1.jpg
274 KB, 2048x1536
>>257484150
Shit, I didn't know L.A Noire had an Isetta in it.
>>
>>257484417
>arson case
>evidence is shaky on both suspects
>both are innocent
>still get points off for choosing "wrong"
>>
Kill count numbering in the triple digits.
>>
>>257477903

what went wrong?

he became a detective... fuck that shit, I wanna work a beat. Piddly shit, motherfucking event traffic, god damned motherfucking hella as welfare checks on the elderly, nigga shit gets real when you're following up on that missing lawnmower in the suburbs.

Ain't nobody need no supercop bullshit. Lace dem boots, shine dat nameplate, go be the face of the peace...

With organized demonstration dlc.
>>
>>257484469
It has a lot of unique cars in the game. A lot of concept cars of the time. It really was surprising when hunting them down.
>>
not really Rockstar's best, but i found it quite comfy for some reason, besides i paid only 10 bucks for it
>>
>>257480050

You mean good liars?
>>
One minute exactly in.
Gives me the fucking goosebumps every time I see it, one of the best lines in the whole game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ5RCRJbWoU
>>
>>257484692
Rockstar didn't make it, they just published it. And I think funded it a little? It was made by Team Bondi, who self destructed pretty soon after LA Noire came out. Apparently the head guy was an asshole.
>>
>>257480335

Kill yourself
>>
File: 1325735076767.png (33 KB, 287x251) Image search: [Google]
1325735076767.png
33 KB, 287x251
>"Cole, how could you cheat on your wife like that, you're being demoted!"
>shit missions the remainder of the game, most of which you don't even get to play as Cole.
>Cole dies offscreen, and his eulogy is read by the jackass that narked on him
>>
>>257478963
God damnit. It's in my library waiting to be played. Now I'm bummed out.

>le silky smooth fps XD
>>
>>257477903
Combat.

Rusty isn't your party for every desk.

Other desks aren't as fleshed out as Homicide either.

Cut content removes transitions in Cole's character arc.

Combat.

Changing Force to Doubt because people are idiots.
>>
>>257484469
Actually I had it misremembered. It was this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uExXkEKfC3U
>>
>>257484640
Nah man, it felt great to move up through the ranks in the LAPD. I felt bad for phelps when everyone found out about your affair and you got demoted to arson
>>
Lifeless city
Boring story and a horrible ending
Cases usually solved themselves
Character models looked ridiculous
>>
>>257478780
>>257479380
>Cheated on his wife
>Gave the order to burn a field hospital full of injured civilians, then told his men to kill them and put them out of their misery

I get that that one guy was unjust in exploiting Cole's affair to keep the wealthy of LA wealthy, but I really don't understand how people can find Cole likable by any means. Please explain.
>>
>>257484731
Man, I liked that case. That guy was one of my favorite partners, too. Traffic and Homicide were the best.

>>257484931
Well, it was part of the genre they were going for. I was so, so mad about that eulogy.
>>
Empty world
>>
>>257483864
I dont think so, there was that one case where you interrogate a teenage girl in the hospital, and I remember choosing doubt in attempt to be nice to the girl, and Cole started yelling at her.

>>257484024
Nah, you can choose doubt and still get a new answer of out people.
>>
the fact that you couldn't really fail a case, meaning you weren't really a detective at all

you were a person who pushed A at best
>>
>>257485328
The longer the game went on, the less I liked Cole. I thought that was kind of the point, though. By the time you realize what kind of man Cole really is, you get to play as Kelso. I liked Kelso better.
>>
>>257485328
Not him, but war is a different world entirely. I saw the whole game as him trying to put the war behind him while it slowly and suddenly creeps back into his life. The whole affair thing just made him seem more human to me
>>
>>257481348
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rNV61Rpo-0
>>
>>257485328
Protagonists with heavy character flaws is kind of a recurring theme for Rockstar.
>>
File: lelosangelesface.jpg (335 KB, 851x980) Image search: [Google]
lelosangelesface.jpg
335 KB, 851x980
The best cases were DLC.
>>
>>257485328
I think they were trying to make a tragic hero that made serious mistakes.
Issue is they have him act stonewall and stiff the whole time so he just comes off as a sociopath when he makes a mistake.
>>
>>257485838
And that's what makes this game so jarring. I get what they were going for but they should have had the "oops" moments.
>>
This is what I expected

Instead I got a shitty story about insurance fraud and a bunch of World War 2 flashbacks
>>
>>257485869
I get character flaws, but there's a point where the character just kinda becomes unlikable.

I mean, you have to consider the fact that Cole Phelps existing is basically the whole reason why the morphine got out onto the streets in the first place.
>>
>>257486228
shouldn't.
>>
>>257486042
Nicholson Electroplating Company was so damn good.
>>
I just didn't think there was much to do in L.A., and that's a problem, considering I actually live in L.A.
>>
>>257486459
what was really bad was it was telling 5 stories that would have been great separately with enough time.
instead it was just mash together almost bipolar like, with nothing going together till the very end and by then it was pointless.
>>
>>257485328
>likable
Who cares if he's likable or not? This isn't a romantic drama for women.
>>
>>257485838
Interesting to note that anytime you call out lie with a relationship he's actually projecting his failing marriage.
>>
>>257486609
How do you figure? I'd say it was Courtney Sheldon's fault it happened.
>>
>>257487452
Not the same guy, but it's a bit of both. Courtney proposed the idea, though Cole was the one who kept getting awards for things that he either didn't really do, or was done by someone else, and while he was given the opportunity to refuse, he took it anyways, despite being fully aware of how it would look to everyone else.
>>
What went RIGHT?
>>
>>257487753
Ideas. Interviewing mechanics. Homicide desk.
>>
>>257487753
Traffic and homicide.
>>
>>257487215
Pretty much this, I don't know why people are demotizing the game for having a character that isn't perfect. As the game grows you begin to learn that Cole is trying to redeem himself, and does it by pushing his family out of the way so he can focus on his cases.
>>
I really liked the opening mission as a beat cop. Almost wished there was more of that, maybe where Phelps is frustrated that he has to be a beat cop and isn't automatically a detective.

He became an officer straight out of training, right?
>>
>>257487753
The cars were great.
>>
>>257487753
Only the concept. I was so fucking hyped for this game you have no fucking idea, then it came out and I played it and the more I got into it the more bored I got. Most of the cases were dogshit and the interviewing mechanic was dumb as shit, the script is almost the same unless its lie where Phelps just goes batshit insane and starts accusing you of the holocaust.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.