[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is being able to enjoy older games a rare thing now? It seems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: 1407231317089.webm (1 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1407231317089.webm
1 MB, 640x480
Is being able to enjoy older games a rare thing now? It seems like more and more people, even on /v/, are writing off everything made more than a few years ago as "unplayably aged" or "impossible to appreciate if you weren't there".
>>
You can't fuck with Super Metroid. It will always be golden
>>
Vanilla Doom
>>
>>257275612
Usually this only applies to aged 3D games, as newer 3D games typically make older 3D games look like ass by comparison. 2D games age like fine wine and are pretty timeless. It's evident since even little kids still enjoy pixelshit
>>
File: 1406576447166.gif (1 MB, 1445x1585) Image search: [Google]
1406576447166.gif
1 MB, 1445x1585
>>257275612

People who were born in 1996 are 18 years old and can now browse /v/.

They were 5 years old when Halo: CE got released.
>>
>Is being able to enjoy older games a rare thing now?

If it were retro vidya wouldn't cost as much.
>>
>>257275612
It's really up to the person playing, but yeah a lot of older games are a lot harder to play because of graphics. Doesn't stop me though, I love me some old 3D gaming.
>>
>>257275612
> "unplayably aged" or "impossible to appreciate if you weren't there"

That's how people cope with "classics" like Half Life or Final Fantasy 7 being awful. They pretend they were "good at the time" and of course they seem like shit now because aging.
>>
To be honest, old video games with "realistic" 3D models kinda hard for me to swallow.
Also UIs sometimes could be a bit confusing.

But it's not too bad. Getting used to stuff like that just took a few hours.
Damn. I should continue Fallout 1 again
>>
Not really. It just take some time getting used to them.

After playing Baldur's Gate and Deus Ex for several hours I was able to get into every other older game just fine.
>>
2D is never a problem for me since I grew up with that shit.
As for 3D: Since I've barely played anything new when it comes to AAA in recent years and sticked to older games (most from before 2004) that I've missed, the "aged" graphics ended up growing on me so I actually like them a lot even now.
>>
>>257276459
I remember some faggot tried to make his cousin relive retro game's golden age by letting him play Shovel Knight. The kid gave up at the part where you're supposed to dig down and asked for COD instead.

He went and cry on /v/ and got shat on by us because he never actually instructed what the kid should do.

If the new generation is truly braindead and doesn't know any better, hold their hands as much as possible to make the best chance at introducing them to good games, make them think they're born in "le wrong generation" then tell them about 4chan and let the rest of /v/ whip them to shape.
>>
>>257275612
Kirby Superstar is eternal.

It is still the magnum opus of the Kirby series, with ideal gameplay, content, and artstyle. The only other Kirby game to challenge its supremacy is Kirby's Adventure for the NES, which was so far ahead of its time and pushed the limits of the hardware so far that it too has aged very gracefully.
>>
>>257275612
Some people are faggots, that was always the case.

Post more Umiharas
>>
>>257275612
Only things like early Ultima are hard to play for me, and that's because of the graphics, it's more about the controls.
>>
>>257278889
> that's NOT because of the graphics*
>>
>>257278889
Ultima 4-5 are easy to get into, the control system is basically the type you'd see in any roguelike
>>
File: PHgFN8bfYXhKkh_1_m[1].jpg (99 KB, 450x664) Image search: [Google]
PHgFN8bfYXhKkh_1_m[1].jpg
99 KB, 450x664
>>257277167
>>
>>257275612
Most older games I've done everything there is to do. For the multiplayer ones, the community is usually dead, for the single player ones, well I've beat it at least once. At this point its gotta have serious nostalgia power for me to play through it again.
>>
>>257279060
That's exactly the problem. It takes ages.
But I'm still planning on playing Ultima 4 one day.
>>
>>257275784
the realest and timeliest reply
>>
>>257275612
Im playing lots of NES games lately so no.
No save scumming either
>>
>>257279438
Ages? I dunno , man, it wasn't so bad for me.

But I suppose it would be a bit difficult if you jumped right in. Play DoomRL and Nethack to get used to the idea of key shortcuts.
It has fast gameplay so you can learn right away.

After that, try Ultima 4 sometime. Don't forget to print the map and read the manual,and you'll have a damn good adventure
>>
I'm much the opposite these days. Modern gaming is hot shit.
>>
>>257275612
The only games I have a tough time with are ps1 games. Pretty much everything is fine
>>
>>257278623
No thanks. I don't want my children turning into bitter misfits.
>>
its difficult going back sometimes from playing smooth good looking games to clunky blocks yeah. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nay31hvEvrY
>>
>>257279107
>I disagree so it must be bait

Try again.
>>
I think JRPGs are the biggest offender. There was a time and place for them, but now they're just so mundane. It's like the world is too fast now for the slow paced novelty they used to provide.
>>
i've been playing umihare kawaske recently, i'm just utter shit at it. i end up going back to something i'm better at like megaman or adventure island so i can feel better about how bad i am.
>>
>>257277167

It's not a matter of them being "good at the time" it's a matter of them being good, and you either haven't played them yourself or you're just baiting. Probably the latter.
>>
Umihara Kawase is still fun because it has nice physix. Some games don't have the allure anymore because they just don't work as well and nothing about them stands out anymore.

But hey, some people still love playing through DQ1, so who am I to talk.
>>
I'm guessing the people who grew up with 90s gaming don't mind games without graphical forte and in turn also can appreciate games with graphical fidelity more.

People who grew up later see graphics as a given and a necessary prerequisite, with only a few individuals straying from this.
>>
I don't know if its just nostalgia, but I'm almost never bored with Genesis emulator. I find myself playing old shit way more nowadays than new releases
>>
Modern "gamers" are just way too coddled by the games of today, where punishment for failure is frowned upon. Nowadays, people feel cheated if they get a game over even once, and will drop a game at the slightest hint of difficulty.

Of course, PC has always been the casual race, with literal hotkeys for quicksave/quickload for infinite retries.
>>
>>257280640
some of them are still fun, but the grindfests really fell by the wayside. secret of evermore will never go out of style because it's easy
>>
>>257281016
Isn't SoE a ARPG? That's a bit different. I'm talking about the menu based ones
>>
>>257275612
Talking about playing (slightly) older games, can someone help me?
>>257280843
>>
>>257281003
i don't like how some games handle game overs taking you back to the start screen theres really no point in that. hate to bring it up but souls does it right in that respect. (i have been playing re1)
>>
If you give it a fair chance without any presumptions I find most people get used to games that have "aged terribly."

I personally think it's a piss poor excuse for not finishing a game.
>>
>>257278623
>relive retro game's golden age by letting him play Shovel Knight
Well that faggot fucking failed from the get-go. Shovel Knight is shit that emulates most of the shitty parts of old games.
>>
>play an old as fuck game
>start screen
>press esc accidentally
>exist game
>>
>>257275612
Agile development methods and the Internet have given devs a chance to ruin games that once were great. MMO's tend to be the genre that is suffering most from this.
>>
>>257281864
How has Goldeneye not aged terribly?

The game is complete dogshit.
>>
Reddit friend does this.

Likes Skyrim as a platform for modding. Calls it an ocean with the depth of a puddle because of e celeb cancer. He believes that's the best an open world game can do.

I tell him that morrowind was actually dense with a variety of fauna and places to explore. He insists that I must be nostalgiaing. I was older than he currently is when I played morrowind for the first time (2004).

Upon seeing modded morrowind: "that looks like poop. I can't play older games. I grew up with star fox."
>>
>>257275612
If a game is loved at the time for it's technical achievements but those technical achievements have become industry standards, then you have to remember that the game was really important, but doesn't have any of the WOW factor it once did.
>>
>>257282771
Star fox is older than Morrowind though.
Is he gay and retarded? You should punish him.
>>
>>257276241

Brutal Doom made it obsolete.
>>
If anything I don't understand people who say that the original Deus Ex is unplayable. It's challenging, but not unplayable.

In fact it's one of the most versatile and fun FPS games I've ever played personally.
>>
File: 1356950192347.png (18 KB, 272x244) Image search: [Google]
1356950192347.png
18 KB, 272x244
>>257275612
Some people just troll other users to get a ruse out of them since many people on /v/ even if they have good taste will reply to a obvious bait. I think half of negative stuff said about older games in this board are just digs.

There is another problem too, there is people that also handle older games like works of art and go fuckin spastic if you state a few problems of said game. For example Deus Ex, the graphics are not that great and the ai isn't that great. Do I still enjoy Deus Ex? Yes extremely, but some fans will dog on me even if I state I enjoy the game.
>>
>>257283109
My brother wanted to play Zelda so I set him up with Ocarina of Time, Link to the past, and a bunch of other older ones. he didn't like them because "they have shitty graphics" and only wanted to play Twilight princess because it "had good graphics".

He also called uncharted a platformer and failed miserably at the FIRST LEVEL in DKC2 (died to the FIRST RAT) after I explained the controls in detail to him. Then he just went "this game sucks" and left.
>>
>>257282968
I said he browses Reddit didn't I? Why ask questions I already answered. I might if he didn't give me his old vidya card and study calculus with me.
>>
>>257283691
N64 and Psx games have aged bad.I couldnt finish soul reaver or OoT,I ve played older ones in 2d though.

Its not only the graphics ,the gameplay formula have been improved in modern games ,like Eind Waker or Sands of time
>>
>>257284690
I've been playing my old N64 nonstop since I got it about a month ago. I have games I never played that I'm enjoying the hell out of.

Yes, some of them have problems. Graphics aren't an issue though, they have nothing to do with how good a game is.
>>
>>257283109
>pic
Isn't this the result of one of those acid bucket terrorist attacks?

I'm no fucking SJW, but I can't get over this shit. Drive-by dumping a bucket of fucking acid over a woman's head, permanently disfiguring her face, all for the crime of being "attractive" or "independent" (by their standards) and showing it. It's some fucking saturday morning cartoon supervillain shit.
>>
>>257281620
this is something i don't miss that many games used to do. i like that if i gameover i get a chance to just restart from the beginning of the world/level/save point in modern games.
of course the downside is when that reload point in only a few seconds back and it makes the game trivial.
>>
>>257285686
I don't think you understand Sharia law. They treat it very seriously.
>>
>>257275612
>Is being able to enjoy older games a rare thing now? It seems like more and more people, even on /v/, are writing off everything made more than a few years ago as "unplayably aged" or "impossible to appreciate if you weren't there".
I have a huge amount of emulators on my phone.

yet I cant bring myself to play any of them on there .

Last one In played was super metroid and silent hill. even kingdom hearts was hard to get through
>>
I don't play old games because I've played them back them. If you could go back in time and bring every modern game back to the people of that time there would be less people willing to play the games from their time instead of ours, in fact I doubt anyone would pick anything else than our modern games.
>>
>>257278640
>pushed the limits of the hardware so far
In what way? I'm curious
>>
>>257278623
>The kid gave up at the part where you're supposed to dig down

That's because the faggot didn't even give the kid a fucking HINT of what he was supposed to do. Those of us who played old games take for granted things like knowing to try pressing the down button in mid-air to do a down-shovel move (on top of seeing it in the trailers). But a little kid you're trying to INTRODUCE to old games? Just fucking TELL him how to down-shovel and he'll learn for when he plays similar games in the future.

Instead, the faggot was like, "Guys, he couldn't even figure out how to down-shovel! He asked me for help and I refused to tell him, so the dumb kid gave up!" He was the epitome of the autistic faggots that everyone hates.
>>
>>257286313
sounds like something a casual would say
>>
It's a part of video games moving from releases which are meant to be played over and over again to annualized shovel ware that is meant to be enjoyed for 10 to 20 hours and then forgotten about.
>>
>>257286593
>buzzwords
>>
>>257286578
he could have checked the manual
>>
File: kirbysadventure.gif (24 KB, 744x696) Image search: [Google]
kirbysadventure.gif
24 KB, 744x696
>>257286315
For an NES game, the colors, animations, and sheer size/content of the game were quite remarkable.
>Lots of powers
>Little to no sprite flickering
>hours upon hours of minigames, levels, collectibles, etc.
>>
>>257286313
Words of someone who's never actually picked up an older game.
>>
Old games are simplistic and look like shit. I don't get how people can stand them let alone play them.
>>
>>257286593
Whoa, your so hardcore, are you made of dragonforce, the hardest metal known to man?
>>
>>257275612
What game is that?
>>
>>257286742

>manual
>digital only game

But seriously, you have to help people out with hints or something, especially when it's a kid. You want them to have a good experience so they desire more of it instead of just giving them the experience of being stonewalled by their massive faggot of an uncle.
>>
>>257287049
Umihara Kawase

>>257286904
I don't get how somebody can look at something like >>257286868 and say "I can't bear to look at this".
>>
>>257286886
words of someone who was too young to play the games at their time. Tell me how it is to be underage.
>>
>>257287151
Probably because someone thinks "old = shit". Of course the inverse happens often as well("new = shit").
>>
>>257286904

>simplicity is inherently bad or ugly

The opposite is more often true, you idiot.
>>
>>257286951
sorry i can't enjoy your 'oh so hard' dark souls garbage, faggot
>>
Last 3 games i played were Icewind Dale, Deus Ex and Gothic 2.

I pity you if you can't enjoy games due to aged graphics.
>>
>>257283072

Yeah, no. Brutal doom is awesome and shit, but I still prefer the no reloading and running around at the speed of light.
>>
>>257287092
the digital copy comes with a digital manual. if you hold his hand he'll just keep asking you to do it for him.
>>
>>257287303
>too many numbers i'm playing something else
Stick to shit where the gameplay is a jump button
>>
I'm almost the opposite. I have difficulty enjoying games that play like they were made this decade, but give me something that plays like something from the mid 90's to early 00's and I'm golden. A fantastic example is RE6 vs. REmake. Never touched an old RE before 2008 with REmake but it took me about 5 minutes to get the controls down, whereas I spent 45 minutes with RE6 and despised the controls. Hell, I just started King's Field II the other day and I dig the way it plays, and Tearaway is one of my favorite games in recent years because it feels like a throwback to 5th/6th gen 3D plaformers, while games like TLoU and TR 2013 were alright but kinda bland in terms of gameplay. Seems like I prefer more "aged" design to more modern stuff.
>>
>>257278640
>pushed the limits of the hardware

Bullshit. If you want to see a game that pushes the NES hardware go play Shatterhand, Gradius II, or Blaster Master.

Having "a lot of content" doesn't push shit.
>>
I find it hard to enjoy new games, I keep wanting to just go back replay like the same 5-6 games all the time.
>>
>>257287483
>stats are complex
>>
>>257285686

It's not just terrorists that do it. Women get splashed with acid by spurned lovers so much that there are multiple support groups for them.
>>
File: balloon fetish.jpg (210 KB, 684x746) Image search: [Google]
balloon fetish.jpg
210 KB, 684x746
>>257275612

I'm 19 and even though I love the retro graphics

I can't stand playing old 3d games for some reason.

Anything I played back in N64 Ps1 and 2, xbox.

I just cant do it. it's honestly annoying.

Now the older games like super metroid are fun but I do have a lot of problemswhen I play them

For example

Mega man X. fun game. but goddammit I have to write down a pasword to save?
I stopped playing that after beating some penguin because of that bs

Final fantasy 6. I stopped playing after some clown poisoned water. because it stopped giving me the objective.

Super mario 2. wtf that shitty game felt bad compared to the original

Castlevania 1. Got stuck on the rd boss then I found out I couldnt save.

They need to modernize alot of these games. fix their problems.

Only then I will play them...
>>
>>257277167
FF7 is better than anything released in the last 10 years you underage scum
>>
I compromise.
>>
>>257287678
>>257287925
I just can't stand AAA titles really. I'm fine with newer niche games or japanese games still. But I definitely appreciate older games more.
>>
>>257288139
>Mega man X. fun game. but goddammit I have to write down a pasword to save?
quicksave

now play it and dont come back onto /v/ till its finished
>>
>>257287925
autism
>>
File: A little hoarse.jpg (98 KB, 342x424) Image search: [Google]
A little hoarse.jpg
98 KB, 342x424
I don't think it's impossible, but sometimes you come across nasty surprises. I remember loving Medievil a long time back, and when I played it again recently I noticed that the camera was fucking horrible. The game still was fun though.
>>
File: 1398503918493.jpg (144 KB, 850x650) Image search: [Google]
1398503918493.jpg
144 KB, 850x650
>>257287151
It's fine to look at, it's just goofy. How do you immerse yourself in a game with almost zero plot and a score bar taking up a third of the screen. If all you have to show for your efforts is a big number, might as well be at an arcade. I'm not exactly in favour of the recent walking simulator games but I think there's a middle ground somewhere and we have trouble finding.
>>
>>257288245

I cant do quicksave wtf are you talking about?

I'll just play the Psp remake .
I heard it was better.
>>
I like some old games
I like some new games

Yeahhhhhhh
>>
>>257280760

Then how come Half Life and FF7 are regularly panned today? They were never good and the only reason you liked them in the first place is because you were a retarded kid at the time. And if you still like them, you still are.
>>
>>257287461

You have to at least help them a LITTLE. Are you saying as a kid you never once read a Nintendo Power walkthrough or asked for a hint from your friends? Come on, man. You weren't born with your ability to figure shit out in games, you learned it. So it needs to be learned by that kid as well. He could have asked some guiding questions, like "Which direction do you think you need to go?" or "Have you tried doing EVERYTHING? I think there's one thing you're missing..." You have to engage the kid, man. Help him learn how to deduce things in video games and how to try shit out.
>>
>>257288428
>I heard it was better.
christ no

get higan and a rom
>>
>>257288487
Because Seinfeld is unfunny.
>>
>>257288139
Fuck you
I'm 18 and I have better fucking taste than you
>doesn't get a direct objective
>hates super mario 2
>doesn't like not being able to save
>doesn't like old 3d games
>will only play games when devs remake games to your liking
Go play Final Fantasy XIII faggot
>>
>>257285686

It looks like she was ugly in the first place. Who cares?
>>
>>257275612
I don't think so. I find it easier when I'm not distracted by my PC or the Internet.
>>
>>257288487
It's "regularly panned" by contrarians with their heads up their ass, aka most of /v/.
>>
>>257278623
>>257286578

NO FUCK BOTH OF YOU.
BACK IN THE DAY SOME OF US JUST POPPED THAT CARTRIDGE INTO THE FUCKING NES,SNES AND FIGURED SHIT OUT WITHOUT ANY MANUAL.
WE ACTUALLY TRIED TO BEAT THE GAME,WE HAD PASSION.IF SOMETHING DIDN'T WORK FOR SEVERAL TIME THEN WE TRIED EVEN HARDER.
>>
>>257288624
>I'm 18 and better!

woo
>>
>>257288139
> Didn't give an objective.

You litterally just wander a bit, and find a forest. Have some sense of exploration jesus.
>>
>>257288139
>Mega man X. fun game. but goddammit I have to write down a pasword to save?
Use save states on the password screens, then. Also, rereleases like the X Collection add a save feature or suspend features.

>Final fantasy 6. I stopped playing after some clown poisoned water. because it stopped giving me the objective.
How the fuck do you get lost in a Final Fantasy game SNES-onward?

>Castlevania 1. Got stuck on the rd boss then I found out I couldnt save.
CV1 is too short to warrant a save feature. It was also an arcade game.

I'm as old as you and I can't tell if I'm more embarrassed by how casual you are, or how poor your typing is.
>>
>>257288292

Same. It's still one of my all-time favorite games though. That said, MediEvil 2's camera was worse.
>>
>>257288776
BECAUSE WE WERE POOR AND THERE WAS NOTHING BETTER TO DO
>>
>>257288776

Oh, fuck off.
>>
>>257288567
not him but it is.
>>
>>257288141
>FF7 is better than anything released in the last 10 years you underage scum

It definitely is. But also, it's terrible.
>>
>>257288898
Yes you should.
>>
>>257288871

Not him but what are your favorite games.

I'm 20 and would Like to meet people with similar taste.
>>
>>257288245
>>257288624
>>257288856
>>257288871
>falling for that bait

You fucking suck, /v/.
>>
>>257288487
>>257288945
I really enjoyed the battle mechanics and the sense of exploration in FFVII. I don't think its super crazy amazing, but I find it enjoyable.

FFVIII is also great, if you like Korean soap operas.
>>
>>257287860
Try Gimmick
>>
>>257289059

But what if the other Anon doesn't want you to put your dick in his butt?
>>
>>257288891
How could it possibly be worse? Well, I haven't played Medievil 2 in 13 years so how could I remember.
>>
controls are the most important thing to gameplay
old games commonly have atrocious controls

new control standards keep spoiling me more and more too
well, that was till these newer console generations ruined controls again
>>
>>257289236

No real improvements plus some truly painful areas, namely the last level before the final boss. Seriously, the opening section to Cathedral Spires: The Descent might just be the most egregiously bad 3D camera I've ever endured.
>>
>>257289090
>FFVII isn't amazing but I enjoy it

This is an acceptable answer. Everybody else, get in the fucking oven.
>>
File: 2607561-5380891350-l_531[1].jpg (35 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
2607561-5380891350-l_531[1].jpg
35 KB, 400x240
>>257288328
>How do you immerse yourself in a game with almost zero plot and a score bar taking up a third of the screen.

Why the fuck would I play a platformer for immersion? There are cinematic platformers, but games like Kirby, Mega Man, Umihara, etc. are distinctly outside that genre, and neither old or new games of their type aim for immersion.
>>
>>257288174
These days I only shell out the $60-70 (CAD) for a new release if it can guarantee longevity/replayability.

So I really only buy large sandbox games, certain open-wolrd RPGs, or the occasional fighting game (bonus points for SCV, of which I've sunk a good 200-300 hours into the character creator alone).

With the "as quick and cheap as possible for the lowest common denominator market" approach AAA game devs are taking these days, I can't justify spending that much money on some (lackluster) story-based game that I'll play through maybe once or twice then shelf as a dust collector.
>>
>>257289249
Pretty much this.

I can play an old game with shit graphics if the controls are fine.

See Doom 2, I find it wonderful to play.
>>
>>257289214

I'm not gay.

I just want to talk to people with similar intrests that are around my age.

Everyone I know at college doesn't know their shit.

gamer college club is nothing but people talking about the latest games.

I just want to know about old games. and people with taste.
>>
>>257289458
you do play it without a mouse right?
>>
>>257289089
It's not bait, it's Oblivion/Skyrim quest marker syndrome!
>>
I'm playing Earthbound at the moment and it's aged very well. Same for Super R-type and Gradius 3, which I played a little while before this.
>>
>>257287678
King's Field is utter shoi is it not? Never played it you see, I simply remember seeing terrible reviews for it.
>>
>>257275612
No, it's just because a somewhat large amount of /v/'s older demographic figured out a way to leave this shithole and carry on with their lives while a bunch of newfags and edgy 14 year olds filled in the gaps.

That being said games don't age. Control schemes and visual appearance on the other hand can "age" very poorly.
>>
File: 1398612634788.jpg (61 KB, 164x234) Image search: [Google]
1398612634788.jpg
61 KB, 164x234
>>257275784
>Introduce Metroid to my younger sister
>She loved Fusion
>She really loved Zero Mission
>Boot up Super Metroid
>10 minutes in she says the game is too slow and it's putting her to sleep
>Wants to just go back to Zero Mission instead

This new generation is lost, anon. We lost the war.
>>
>>257275612
For the life of me I still do not understand why the hud is so close to the centre of the screen in that game.
>>
>>257289465
>I just want to know about old games. and people with taste.

And put your dick in their butts.
>>
>>257289447

This. I didn't even know that was a problem for people.
>>
>>257289665
>utter shoi

What the fuck is wrong with me? Utter shit even.
>>
Personally I find it hard to enjoy older games (that I didn't already play when I was younger) because of tired gamer syndrome. You know what I mean, you download a giant list of every game on a console ever made and you just have zero urge to play them. Kinda like how everyone has a billion games on steam and plays none of them.

But I recently dug up/repaired some of my old consoles and I'm falling in love again. I've even started buying more used genesis games that I didn't have, since they're pretty cheap relatively speaking.

It's purely psychological though. There's really no logical reason not to just play them all on an emulator for free. But there's something to be said for that feeling of getting and actually owning a physical copy and wanting to actually play it. I don't get it but it works.
>>
>>257289730
>really loved zero mission
Eh, maybe not all hope is lost.
>>
>>257289745

why do you keep saying that. you want me to do that to you?
>>
>>257283072
lol
>>
>>257289454
Sounds like you just have shit taste
>>
>>257289780
>Personally I find it hard to enjoy older games (that I didn't already play when I was younger) because of tired gamer syndrome. You know what I mean, you download a giant list of every game on a console ever made and you just have zero urge to play them. Kinda like how everyone has a billion games on steam and plays none of them.
I downloaded tons of roms and old games.
I am having that problem...
How do you fix it anon. I want to play these games.
>>
>>257289658
>liking Super R-Type

Oh jesus, is there something wrong with you? R-Type 1, 2, 3, and Delta all completely shit all over it.

I hope yours' is just a crime of ignorance, Anon.
>>
>>257289780
You don't get as much a sense of obligation to play a file you downloaded in a second as opposed to a game you spent money on, and likely thought about a bit before doing so. People's steam games pile up because they buy them all because they were cheap, not out of thoughtful interest.
>>
>>257288139
>hating on castlevania 1
Holy fuck man fuck you

You are so fucking tasteless it's not even a long game you can beat it in one sitting easy and has some of the best atmosphere/music/stage design in the genre

Fuck you
>>
File: 1396824376007.webm (164 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1396824376007.webm
164 KB, 640x480
>>
>>257290062
I've only played Super R-type and R-type 3 and while I enjoyed both, I thought the former was better (too short though).
Might just be because I played it first.
>>
>>257289730
>Loved the pale imitations of Super Metroid
>Doesn't like Super Metroid

I'm calling bullshit.
>>
>>257290023
original copies is what I'm doing. but it can be really fucking expensive, especially for SNES games because there's a bubble and everyone is hording stock and selling it for like 5x what it should go for.
>>
>>257289665
Kings field isn't great, kings field 4 is pretty good once you get used to it, can be a bitch knowing what you're supposed to do next though.
>>
File: 1405921724576.gif (203 KB, 639x299) Image search: [Google]
1405921724576.gif
203 KB, 639x299
pc-98 dithering gets my dick rock hard.
>>
>>257290123
Yup, exactly what I'm saying.
>>
>>257290259
A bubble impies they'll ever stop
>>
>>257289639
Yes, I do.
>>
Very few games 'age badly' and it's usually just an excuse for underage faggots to drop a game

A game that's aged badly is shit like Quest 64, shit with low res textures or a password system is just you being a fucking idiot
>>
>>257287678

I feel the same way. Most modern games ESPECIALLY AAA games are so bland to me. I get bored with them so easily. I've tried quite a lot of the newer big stuff like Uncharted series and they always bore me yet I play older games that are actually meant to be GAMES and not interactive movies and I have fun.

This is why I bought a Wii U this gen. Nintendo at least does things differently from the other 3rd party companies with game development. They are still in a time lapse in a way by making their games actually games and not trying hard to be anything other than that unlike what most game companies are doing now trying so hard to appeal to artfags and shit.

Just how it is now. All you can do is vote with your wallet on what games you want more of and like which is what I do and hopefully what others here do as well.
>>
>>257289665

From what I've played it's definitely of a niche appeal. If you really enjoy the Souls games, that's an indicator that you MIGHT like them, seeing as they're spiritual successors. Really there's a lot of issues that hinder its likability, first and foremost being how unforgivably slow the pacing is. The simple act of turning takes forever, attacks are pretty slow, and simply running drains your stamina almost immediately which takes a few seconds to recharge, problem being there is that it also takes stamina to attack. There's also the extremely simple AI, it gives less explanation and direction than even Zelda 1, the RPG mechanics are relatively simple yet not well explained, and menu navigation in general is very archaic.

Despite all this, I still like it. It has a unique charm to it that I can't quite put my finger on, but despite it being mechanically archaic as all hell I just feel it. I won't say it's BAD, but it's definitely not for everyone and it certainly isn't for anyone who has issues with playing games older than the 6th gen. It's an absolute no-go then.
>>
>>257290448
>complains about underage faggot
>then low res textures or passwords make a game bad

lel
>>
>>257290619
no he's saying that if you think those age a game you are an idiot
>>
>>257289870
>I don't want to put my dick into guys' butts, what are you even talking about Anon?
>W-want me to put my dick in your butt?

Sorry freak, I don't swing that way.
>>
>>257290123

Exactly. This is half the reason why I don't bother pirating games. I know that's exactly what'll happen if I do. If I get off my ass and actually buy a game though, I'm more encouraged to play it because I actually gave up something for its acquisition.
>>
>>257290764

Look whos talking
>>
File: 1428493827345.jpg (35 KB, 500x545) Image search: [Google]
1428493827345.jpg
35 KB, 500x545
I don't know. I guess I don't see the point. There are plenty of games released in the last decade that I haven't even touched.

There are even "old" style games getting released from indie developers that are slightly more forgiving, and a hell of a lot easier to get running.

Did kids in the 90s spend a lot of time wondering why nobody plays pong any more?
>>
>>257290761
Well it's time for me to get some sleep.
>>
File: 1406673501011.jpg (27 KB, 397x461) Image search: [Google]
1406673501011.jpg
27 KB, 397x461
Were basically the early adopter generation. Game design changes over time for better or worse, but standards are finally being made even though it's a stubborn industry. Give it awhile and people will finally be able to enjoy old games the same way they enjoy old cinema. The sad part is that when this happens, old games will be considered anything after this current generation of gaming. So everything we are playing will be outdated garbage that's unplayable.
>>
>>257275612
It depends, often because of nostalgia people exaggerate how good games were when they originally played them, chances are if I didn't play the game when I was 8 then I'm not going to be as into it as you are. That usually gets interpreted as "Go play CoD then you fucking casual."
Often older games were made purposefully difficult or frustrating in order to drag them out rather than just make more content (NES difficulty), so if you find a game to be unenjoyably difficult, and some aspie only had that game when he was 12 and mastered it over the summer by playing for 10 hours a day, you're gonna get called a casual again.

There are some great retro games, I'll never get tired of Sonic 2 or Mario 3, even though I only played them as an adult, they're good games and they hold up, but so much stuff that came out in those generations was shovelware or artificial difficulty or just plain bad.

Take the Mega Man games, I find them unenjoyably difficult, I don't think they hold up, yet this whole elitist sub-culture has evolved around Mega Man treating artificial difficulty designed to piss off 10 year olds as some kind of holy grail of skill. If I don't feel like investing the time to learn level layouts and develop the muscle memory required to beat that shit that doesn't make me a casual.
>>
>>257275612
>Is being able to enjoy older games a rare thing now? It seems like more and more people, even on /v/, are writing off everything made more than a few years ago as "unplayably aged" or "impossible to appreciate if you weren't there".

Keep in mind that on /v/ a lot of people that are older and liked those games have moved on to /vr/.

I've seen nostalgia threads on /v/ where people who were 12 when CoD4 came out were gushing over it. It certainly was an eye opener to the changing landscape of this place and gaming in general.
>>
>>257288894
This.

Even if your family was well-off financially, games like Megaman and Castlevania were the epitome of electronic entertainment. It didn't get better. The only other options were PC games of equal simplicity, or playing sports and socializing like normalfags.

I remember sitting down as a kid and trying to beat Sonic and Knuckles. It was frustrating as hell. I would die constantly, sometimes not even making it through the first level, only to have to start over at the beginning and try again.

Not because I loved the challenge, not because I valued the development of my video game skills, and not because I adored the gameplay. I simply kept playing because there was nothing better to do. I liked video games, and if it wasn't S&K, I was trying to beat Mortal Kombat or Shinobi or Vectorman or Dinosaurs For Hire. That was video games. They didn't get better than that at the time.

These days I still love my old favorites, and I'll fire up my Genesis once in a while, or download an emulator, or pick up the odd "Genesis Collection" for modern consoles, but many games in recent years (not the by-the-numbers AAA shit we have now) blow almost everything I used to play out of the water. If I could go back in time and show my younger self Mortal Kombat 9 or Fallout 3/NV or GTA: Vice City, younger me would go fucking nuts over it and choose that over anything else I could play at the time, every time.
>>
>>257290526
>PAY ATTENTION TO MEEEEEEE

Nobody cares, tripfag.
>>
>>257291092
Bullshit, I'd never played ninja gaiden or contra until after I was 20 and I loved them both. You really are just a casual.
>>
>>257275612

Well, after playing the newer games in the series I don't think I could handle playing the original Etrian Odyssey again when it lacks really basic shit like sidestepping, faster battles, and any real sense of balance due to shit like Immunize. I think it's a good thing I played the original game first (and this was several years after it released by the way, in preparation for EO4) because otherwise I would've completely hated it, and looking back on it I still did kind of dislike it for a number of reasons but it still got me interested in the series.
>>
>>257290853
>Look whos talking

An Anon trying to solicit gay sex from /v/. Pretty sad.
>>
You guys who play the older retro games.

how old are you..

and will you be my friend.
>>
>>257291092

Butthurt casual detected
>>
>>257291349
Nope, you wasted your time in order to beat games designed to artificially extend playtime by making them unreasonably punishing and time consuming.
That doesn't make you skilled, it's no different than a factory worker performing the same task over and over and over and over until they get good at it.

If you feel accomplished, you shouldn't.
>>
>>257291497
Nice post dumbass.
>>
File: 'kay.jpg (35 KB, 292x365) Image search: [Google]
'kay.jpg
35 KB, 292x365
>>257291092

>tfw Mega Man 9 was arguably my favorite game this past gen

It's one of the few games I would dare consider to be perfect. It makes no mistakes, and the level design oozed creativity. The biggest "flaw" I can think of with it is that the powers you got were absurdly strong, but event that was offset by how fun they were to use compared to most MM games.
>>
>>257291105
>I've seen nostalgia threads on /v/ where people who were 12 when CoD4 came out were gushing over it. It certainly was an eye opener to the changing landscape of this place and gaming in general.
Everything was better when you were 12
These 12 year olds will be saying the same shit about CoD4 that the older generation says about Planescape Torment
>>
>>257291786
>Trying to make up excuses for why it's okay he's a casual

I'm sorry, Anon. There is no excuse.
>>
>>257291092
Mega Man isn't hard though. The most popular game, 2, is already easy, and was made ridiculously easy on US Normal. The second most popular, X1, is similarly easy.
>>
>>257290852
Yeah, it applies to pirated games too, but only when I stockpile. Like if I go find a list of games to download and I just go to town and get a bunch (just like if downloading roms) But if there is a game I'm actually interesting in pirating and I pirate it alone and immediately hop in and go to town, I'm usually fine.
>>
>>257289986
Can't help it. Modern story-based games are simply garbage.

They can't come close to the writing quality or length of books (or even fucking hollywood movies) due to development constraints (expertise, deadlines, budgets, hardware), and the one thing that separates video games from other media - Interactivity - always ends up taking a severe hit these days, to make way for "deep characters and story" (see: a sad thing happens to an established character HOLY SHIT GOD-TIER STORY), "immersive" graphics (see: poly-count for showpiece models), and being able to railroad the player through only the scenes and environments that the devs want the player to see.
>>
>>257293121

Funny thing is that if you come up with a b-list tier story AT best for a video game, reviewers go rabid over it like it's god's gift to the world. Not to mention those "art" focused "games" like Journey that also get cock-slobbered just because it's not really a game.

The fact that a developer actually described games as "too gamey" should put things in perspective as to how the majority of game companies think of how they want games to be.
>>
>>257292825
Most really popular games are relatively easy. Super Metroid got shit when it came out for being so easy!
>>
Games don't age and the people who keep on saying they do are just retarded. A good game will always be a good game.
>>
>>257293902
>standards don't change
>>
>>257289730
>Start your sister off with the most casual Metroid game
>Have her play a slightly less casual Metroid game and the Metroid game responsible for casualizing the series in the first place
>She doesn't like it

Not really surprising here.
>>
>>257294246
Standards changing doesn't mean a game has aged seeing as standards are fucking opinions as well.
>>
>>257294246
You're proving him right. Games don't age. A game that's 20 years old is exactly the same as it was 20 years ago. What changes are the players.
>>
Well you could start by thanking that retard moot for trying to split up /v/ with /vr/.
>>
>>257289730
>>257290237

It does have a really fucking slow start though, not saying it isn't a great game but that's definitely a thing.
>>
Probably 90% of the games I spend my time on over the past 5 years now have been a decade or more old. Fuck modern vidya.
>>
>>257294576
I think when people talk about "games aging," it's mostly player expectations. A game that "ages poorly" probably had rough mechanics that could have been more easily forgiven or overlooked at the time because there wasn't a shining example of doing it correctly.

Players certainly didn't love the shitty camera work of the N64/PS1 era, but a game with a slightly shitty camera didn't stand out as much then because it was normal. A game ages poorly when it is taken out of context.
>>
>>257293902
Not inherently true.

A game can only be considered "good" or "bad" compared to its competition.

Games made in the 1990s were not made to compete with potential games made post-2000. They were made to compete with other games made in the 1990s and earlier.

Megaman 2 is shitty, directly compared to Megaman X. But it is an overall huge improvement over Megaman (1), and a great game in that regard.

As such, games that "age" well are a rarity by nature. They have to maintain an entertainment value that surpassed other games of the past, yet still provide quality entertainment amongst games made today.
>>
>>257294246

Standards do change, but it's not fair to hold older games by modern standards because they were from a time when such standards, more often than not, were unattainable. You'd like to think things taken for granted like enemy targeting, 3D cameras, and modern control schemes were always the norm, but they weren't. They had to figure that shit out through trial and error, and in the case of 3D games for example the 5th gen was one huge-ass period of trial and error. Considering what little knowledge of 3D space they had going into that gen, I'd say they did pretty damn well for themselves. I'd like to see someone on /v/ do better in the mid 90's, knowing nothing about what came later on.
>>
>>257291092
>Mega Man
>artificial difficulty
>>
>>257295164
So what you're saying is that entertainment value determines if game "age well". Entertainment value is an opinion, everyone is entitled to their own opinions but that doesn't mean that games "age". Once people stop trying to argue about games aging because of their opinions and actually lay down some facts then I'll consider the fact that they can age.
>>
File: 1407273499563.jpg (30 KB, 500x556) Image search: [Google]
1407273499563.jpg
30 KB, 500x556
>>257288141
Maximum nostalgia
>>
>>257289730
But she's right, Super Metroid feels much slower than the more responsive and snappier GBA games. It's still my favorite one but I can see why people don't like it as much after playing the other games.
>>
>>257295164
>Games made in the 1990s were not made to compete with potential games made post-2000.

Which makes it all the more hilarious and depressing when games from the 90's shit down the throats of games from post-2000.

>Megaman 2 is shitty, directly compared to Megaman X

You've got that backwards m8. And I don't even like MM2.

>But it is an overall huge improvement over Megaman (1)

You mean leap backwards from.
>>
>>257296227
And that's why the people who say games age are fucking stupid. They try to use their own opinions as facts just because they don't like a game. Literally no one has stated a fact on why games age and it all boils down to their standards/entertainment value/ which is just another word for opinion.
>>
>>257296227
>Which makes it all the more hilarious and depressing when games from the 90's shit down the throats of games from post-2000.

Not always. Post-2006 perhaps, but 2000-2006 was still pretty damn good, and basically one big refinement of late 90's 3D games.

>You've got that backwards m8. And I don't even like MM2.

I'm gonna agree with the other guy here, but I love X while I'm not the biggest fan of MM2. Compare X to MM3 or MM9, and I'd have to think.

>You mean leap backwards from.

That's straight-up wrong in some ways, and strangely correct in others. MM2 established many of the series' conventions like E-Tanks, help items (that would go on to be represented by Rush), and having 8 bosses instead of 1's 6. And yet, 1 is a much more fairly balanced game overall than 2 is. Metal Blades faceroll 90% of MM2 and the Crush Bombs miniboss in Wily's castle is a series lowlight IMO.
>>
>>257291786
Well done you just defined skill
>>
>>257291786
>it's no different than a factory worker performing the same task over and over and over and over until they get good at it.
That's how you get skilled at something you fucking idiot.
>>
>>257296612
>Old game innovates with new mechanics and gains a lot of praise
>Future games are made with the same innovative mechanic and make small improvements to it
>Old game now seems outdated/aged
>>
The only game I think is horribly aged that I've played is Metroid
>>
>>257297701
Only if you've played the new game and come into the old game expecting mechanics from the new game. 2 solutions:
>work on your backlog chronologically
>recognize what goes into a game's design and appreciate the changes without taking them for granted
>>
>>257297912
Try system shock then
>>
>>257276459
I'm 23 and I don't know what I'm doing on 4chan.

Atleast there's actual people in the 30s and 50s at /vr/
>>
>>257298912
hell im 27 and i want out, everythings gone to shit here since /b/ went public with meme spouting fags i'd see irl starting about 08'. my only issue is that i have no where else to go for vidya news and shit.
>>
>>257300443
I wonder how long 4chan has left in it before it gets shut down or overrun with cancer.
Where will we all go?
>>
>>257301049
To our graves
>>
>>257301147
Likely we'll all go to IRC/forum/chan splinter groups.
You should enjoy this place whilst it lasts, there'll never be anything like it again after it.
>>
>>257301465
Why would it get shutdown. moot loves being the kind of retards.
>>
>>257294780
Shut the fuck up, it means we have a place to actually talk about older games, all the shit that goes with it and without all the faggotry that comes with /v/.
>>
>>257302080

You know what faggot, maybe if moot focused more on making /v/ less of a shithole instead of just making another board then the faggotry wouldn't be a problem, not to mention that /vr/ as it is now is mostly stagnant, boring discussion about the same shit every time.
>>
>>257302080
>it means we have a place to actually talk about older games, all the shit that goes with it and without all the faggotry that comes with /v/.
Yeah, it's called /v/, fuckface. Splitting up the boards has only reduced the quality of /v/.
>>
>>257301881
When Moot decides he's had enough of running it, or if he ended up dying or something.
>>
>>257302617
That's /v/'s problem, not /vr/'s.
>>
>>257300443

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHK_HoOM1xo
>>
>>257302710
/vr/ doesn't deserve to exist.
>>
>>257278640
But the remake is better.
>>
>>257302710

It just epitomizes how much of a shit moot and most mods do not give about the quality of /v/.
>>
>>257288650
ayy
>>
Enough vid games exist now to make selling games to wanton consumers who don't understand anything they're doing and who may not even play the game but just have to participate in capitalism so as to appease the hunters profitable. Does that answer your question?
>>
>>257301049
>overrun with cancer

UUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHH...
>>
Have you played a NES or gameboy game recently?

They are practially unplayable or move at slower than a snails pace
>>
>>257303158
>>/tumblr/
>>
>>257288139
>I'm 19.
>found out I couldn't save.
>>
I actually just started dipping into my retro games collection again because of the lack of new games.
>>
Younger gamers seem to have trouble appreciating older games.

It's this modern iPhone usability mindset of if it isn't instantly accessible - it's shit.

It's a shit opinion that isn't new and hopefully it's just the opinion of more casual gamers who will move onto some other hobby in a few years.
>>
>>257303621
Kill yourself
>>
>>257303621
tfw can't play Pokemon and other RPGs without speed up anymore
>>
>>257301049

it's already overrun with cancer. /vr/, /vg/ and /vp/ have all been attempts to stall what is inevitable.
>>
>>257305625
/b/ is overrun with cancer.
I mean, overrun with cancer to the point where you can't stand it here anymore.
>>
>>257305806
I haven't been to /b/ in years. I should see how much it has changed. I'd rather play video games though
>>
File: 1403440063126.png (36 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
1403440063126.png
36 KB, 640x400
>>257290326
>dithering
BROTHER!
>>
>>257275784

The only thing that game got right was the exploration. Everything else is garbage. Getting one element right doesn't make a game great.
>>
>>257306243
It's worth a look to see what I mean, and then I recommend you play video games.
>>
>>257275612
>It seems like more and more people, even on /v/, are writing off everything made more than a few years ago as "unplayably aged"

That's because there are more faggots who were born in the mid 90s on /v/ than ever before. Bunch of mindless fuckups with no critical thinking skills whatsoever.
>>
>>257288545
>Come on, man. You weren't born with your ability to figure shit out in games

It's called common sense. Basic fucking logic.
>>
File: 1404671795947.gif (3 MB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1404671795947.gif
3 MB, 360x360
I don't mind graphics as much as archaic game design. Not to say that modern trends are, great, but still.

I think King's Quest games are the perfect example. Your goals are always extremely vague, they don't bother to give you proper objectives. Some faggot just sat there, came up with scenario (The guy looks in the barrel, finds apple, gives it to another guy yadayada) and slapped it on the world full of otherwise useless props without ever bothering to actually think about the player himself.
The fact that you can actually die (without any repercussions other than time loss) by trying to explore aforementioned props and figure shit out is like a cherry bone on top steaming pile of shit.
>>
Kind of. Most of my friends won't give retro games a second glance, despite them all being 26+ years old.
There are a few of us that still break out the SNES for some Contra 3 or Super Mario World though.
>>
>>257275612
Nah, just takes some time to get used to.

I've started getting into a lot of old pearls too as of late, just like >>257277951 said, you just gotta adjust to the different generation.

Just get past it, and enjoy the old gold.

But you might be right.
>>
>>257291150
>younger me would go fucking nuts over it and choose that over anything else I could play at the time, every time.

My younger self would choose older games with actual gameplay instead of shit that basically plays itself.
>>
File: 1405470495306.webm (416 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1405470495306.webm
416 KB, 1280x720
Fuck that noise, i play more old games these days than i do new ones, so old classics i played when i was young some old classics some on consoles i never owned thus missed out on good games. God bless emulators and the nerdfags that make them.

Also people need to understand what nostalgia is, if you replay an old game every few months because you really love its gameplay, saying its very fucking good has nothing to do with nostalgia.
>>
Can someone tell me what game is in the OP webm? It looks fun.
>>
>>257307195

Umihara Kawase. If you have a 3DS, Yumi's Odd Odyssey is the only game in the series to ever make it stateside. Otherwise, rev up those emulators.
>>
>>257280495
>its difficult going back sometimes from playing smooth good looking games

Silky smooth 24 fps.
>>
>>257307195
Umihara Kawase.
SNES and one of the newer portable Nintendo consoles. 3DS? DS? I dunno.
>>
>>257298912
>>257300443

>I'm [x age] and I'm still on 4chan

and where else would you be supposed to be? Facebook? Tumblr? Reddit?

In all honesty, children are going to be in every corner of the internet, you're not suddenly going to enter any "adults club only" on the internet, anywhere.
>>
>>257307492

It's on DS and 3DS, though the 3DS one is the only one that's localized. DS is a collection of the first game on SNES and Shun if I'm not mistaken. Also, DON'T play the PSP version.
>>
>>257307462
>>257307492
Awesome, thanks dudes
>>
Have you ever been in one of those "you must play with anons that have the same birthday as you", or just threads where people talk about how they are? Wouldn't be surprised if most people in here were around 20, or even younger than that.
>>
>>257283072
Brutal Doom is an abomination made for gamers who weren't even alive when Doom came out and were reared on CoD shit.
>>
I've been playing Quake for the first time and really enjoying it.

I'm playing the original, without video acceleration, too. I actually prefer it with the janky animations and low FPS than the smooth 60fps version with openGL. I have no idea why.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.