[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he right? >"With this generation, we launched against
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: Screenshot_2015-12-16-17-50-33-1.png (548 KB, 1080x1222) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-16-17-50-33-1.png
548 KB, 1080x1222
Is he right?

>"With this generation, we launched against a background of considerable media scepticism about the role of consoles overall,” he says, in an exclusive interview with the Guardian. “People were saying that consoles were dead, and that mobiles and tablets were the only gaming platforms around. But what I see in the developer and publisher community is a sense of returned confidence. That translates into something great for the gamer, because if developers are feeling confident that there’s a fan-base that wants their content, then they will tend to take more creative risks. They will feel more comfortable about launching brand-new IP, which I think is the life-blood of the industry.”
>>
>>320424728
On Microsoft:

>“I think since Phil Spencer took on leadership of [Microsoft’s Xbox division], he has been very honest about their approach. He’s been, in a very gentlemanly way, complimentary about us in the past. But if you look at something like Augmented Reality for them or virtual reality for us, we’re both trying to build a category overall. At the end of the day, there is a shared goal of great experiences for gamers.”
>>
>>320424843
On VR:

>“In its early iteration, the principal audience will probably be enthusiast gamers looking for something brand-new,” he says. “I tend to see the first phase as providing short-form but very intense experiences – I use the analogy of a theme park ride. It’s something you’ll do for 10 or 15 minutes and go, ‘Whoa, that was fantastic.’ Even those short-form experiences, which don’t necessarily have massive development costs, can be very magical and exciting. So there’s an opportunity for indie developers to be more prominent in the VR life-cycle than they are on console.”
>>
>>320424728
>Is he right?

Yes.

The PS4's success saved the industry.
>>
>>320424946
On Playstation Now:

> “There are a couple of factors in that. In the beta phase – and we took a little bit of flak for this – we looked at what different rental prices should be. What we heard very loud and clear was that people want a very robust subscription service; ‘I want the Netflix of games,’ was what a lot of the users said. So we worked hard on getting the right value proposition for that, but more importantly, building out a great content selection. There are well over 200 games available on it now, and that has created a tipping point in the US.”

>"We’re obviously doing this in a staggered way, so we’re launching in what I’d call commercial beta in the UK. We’ve got work that we need to do in the UK, again in building up the right content selection. For Sony, PlayStation Now is very much about a long-term play. I’ve always believed that with the sense of convenience and immediacy that people get from streaming, whether it’s in music or video, that same attraction will be there in games eventually. Increasingly in service businesses, it’s a case of launching the service, listening to what your consumers are telling you and then iterating on that and making it better.”
>>
>>320425034
Just can that shit.

Anything about Jap games?
>>
>>320424728
I actually like how the big 3, Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are right now, they are being really nice to each other lately.
>>
>>320425267
All he said was:

>“Usually it’s in the second or third year of a lifecycle that you see developers really getting into their stride around a new platform,” he says. His contention is that the likes of No Man’s Sky and Media Molecule’s bizarre game-creation sandbox Dreams show that Sony is still willing to publish more edgy games than its rivals. “When we started out in the business, the founders of the organisation had a very strong focus on taking creative risks, and believed that bringing something new to games was what we should be all about,” he says.

>“You look back at some of the early Artdink games that came out, like Aquanaut’s Holiday and PaRappa The Rapper; the latter wasn’t a huge seller, but we all still talk about it. It’s great to see that spirit still in the organisation: it’s certainly something I encourage.”
>>
success of any of the consoles right now is good for the industry
until we return to the heights of the golden age, gaming could always get better
especially with the growth of casual gaming
>>
>>320424728
He's not wrong. Anything is better than mobile and tablet "gaming".
>>
File: ocelot.gif (179 KB, 540x336) Image search: [Google]
ocelot.gif
179 KB, 540x336
>>320424728

PCbro here.

Despite what elitist shitheads tell you, PS4's success is good for the industry as a whole. The more popular gaming as a whole is, the more games are made.

The more games made, the higher the amount of good games released per year is. It's that simple.

Success of consoles isn't the cancer killing the industry, shit like paid mods and day one DLC is.
>>
>>320424728

Yes. Any successful video game platform is good for the industry. Even though it's consoles it's not all that bad.
>>
>>320425719
Paid mods are meant to encourage there to be more mods, no?

And day-one DLC is usually a result of developers needing something to do in the three months between a game going gold and releasing to the public.
>>
>>320425370
they always were
>>
>>320425719
>The more popular gaming as a whole is, the more games are made.
Yeah, great games like CoD, AC, FIFA, FF7R in episodes, walking simulators, cinematic experiences and HD remasters
How lucky! bless Sony
>>
>>320425949
Why would you do that?

Just come into a nice thread and shitpost?
>>
>>320425868
>Paid mods are meant to encourage there to be more mods, no?

Sure, but the end result is you want to play modded Skyrim #2 or whatever the fuck it is, instead of $70 you are paying $200.

That's retarded.
>>
>>320425994
Are you saying I'm lying?
>>
>>320424728
>they'll take more creative risks
>every single video game controls like 1 of 5 games
very creative.
>>
File: 1450294004137.png (54 KB, 248x257) Image search: [Google]
1450294004137.png
54 KB, 248x257
>>320425949
There has always been shit video games, and there always will be. Franchises will always be milked, games will always be remade and ported.

It's always been like that, and it will never stop being like that.
>>
>>320426023
I think paid mods can be viable if the developer pools the cash and gives most of it out for free to the developers of unpaid mods.
>>
If they didn't go the route of M$ with paid online I'd agree
>>
Nintendo and Microsoft went insane so someone had to step up.
>>
>>320424728
>>320424843
>>320424946
Someone get this guy a splint, he just broke his fucking arm whacking himself off.
>>
With how consoles are all essentially identical as of this generation, we should be moving towards a future where platforms are open and games are available on all systems; without being held ransom for money and politics. Consoles, in their current state, are against the evolution of the medium.
>>
>>320425719
I'm happy I can play SFV with Console players. Sony allows that so that's good.
>>
>>320424728
>They will feel more comfortable about launching brand-new IP, which I think is the life-blood of the industry.
Where are they? It's the beginning of year three, the mid-point of most generations is almost here, we should at least have an announcement by now. I can name an ass-ton of sequels and remakes and spiritual successors and clones but I genuinely cannot name an original new IP on or coming to PS4 or Xbone.
I guess we have indie games, maybe?
>>
>>320427560
>Dreams
>Horizon: ZD
>Bend's Game
>Ni-Oh
>Until Dawn
>TLG
There's also the ones that failed at stabilishing a franchise, even if they were a new IP, like The Order 1886 and Driveclub (even though I think in it's current state it's an easy 8/10) and Knack; it's not like they're not trying, but a lot of shit has been pushed back or had some bad reception.
>>
>>320425719
Yeah man, gaming is so much better now than it was when it was less popular XD

Fuck off. AAA gaming is utter cancer, like capeshit is to movies.
>>
>>320424728
>People were saying that consoles were dead, and that mobiles and tablets were the only gaming platforms around

Why do big console execs ignore the existence of PC? Or are they really this out of touch?

The "Core" gamer has been increasingly been moving to PC, and if anything that is what they should be concerning themselves with. Not fucking phones and tablets.

though i bet the "consoles" of the future are gaming phone lines by Sony and Microsoft. like playphone 1, and then the playphone 2 etc
>>
>>320428224

Sony doesn't view PC gaming as competition.
>>
>>320426023
as opposed to what, call of duty: rehash 12 for $120 + $60 season pass, limited-time exclusive only on the ps4?
>>
>>320425719
>paid mods
>encourages shoveled mod shit to band-aid broken games
>everyone jumping on bandwagon to make a quick buck
>cancer

>day 1 dlc
>encourages selling games piecemeal for masses who don't care about value
>everyone follows the example as they figure out the majority audience don't really give a shit about length of content
>cancer

>success of consoles
>encourages shovelled shit for dudebros who don't care any more
>games come out broken on launch to meet demand
>saving the industry

it's literally the same shit, newfriend.
>>
>>320428224
why? core gamers are a fucking tiny majority and shitpost on /v/ muh value instead of actually spending money. it's literally the worst group to focus on.
>>
Good to see that he's leading Sony in a good direction. I like his emphasis on new IP and unique experiences.
>>
PS4 definitely succeeded to fooling people to buy it
>>
>>320424728
I wish their success would kick Nintendo's ass into gear.
Remember when they produced normal consoles without gimicks? Funny enough the quality of Nintendo games have diminished since the Wii era with few exceptions. The NX is looking to be gimmicky too, whose dick do I have to suck for a normal console with a normal controller?

It wouldn't even be that bad if the gimmicks were actually used. 3D is just a novelty that gets old quick and drains battery and requires power.
The gamepad is literally just a second screen, barely any games use it effectively.
>>
>>320428224
Legitimately hardcore gamers are a small and impossible to please minority, Sony has no reason to care about them. The new core gamers, the ones sales come from, are the CoD and FIFA rabble. Those certainly aren't moving to PC.
>>
>>320427560
>I genuinely cannot name an original new IP on or coming to PS4 or Xbone.

You don't pay much attention then
>>
>>320428224
But that's wrong.

Most PC owners run a toaster and only play LoL or WoW.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.