[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>There are people who unironically like 'classic'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: 1441428309464.jpg (177 KB, 749x960) Image search: [Google]
1441428309464.jpg
177 KB, 749x960
>There are people who unironically like 'classic' ATB systems and will defend them because of their 'potential'

Explain yourselves
>>
>>319601461
People like classic RTS, ATB and isometric tactical games more for the strategy. No one said shit about "potential" except the potential fun you might have.

It's like saying "Why do people still play Chess when we can play Dynasty Warriors?"
>>
>>319601913
As expected of an ATB apologist, implicitly putting RTS and turn based games with grids on the same level as ATB systems and acting as if they deserve anything like the same prestige.

ATB a blunder that has produced not a single actually good game in the history of its existence and is innately inferior to both properly turn based and fully real time systems, with the downsides of both and the benefits of neither. The only people who find them enjoyable are mouth breathing idiots who don't want any distractions or tests of skill as they grind for abilities.
>>
people defend ATB?
>>
>>319601461
Why did CWC rename Blachu into Blake?
>>
File: why pokemon.png (24 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
why pokemon.png
24 KB, 400x400
There is nothing wrong with ATB. There's no reason to bring up potential. Have you ever played a modern Etrian Odyssey game? Imagine that, but with the battle moving in active time so you have to think quicker. It'd make an already hard game harder.

Calm your tits. You might not like turn based games, and that's okay. But they aren't shit.
>>
>>319603113
Have you seen any of the FFVII remake threads around recently? Tons of people who are mad as fuck and who grasp for any excuse to make it seem like changing the combat is some kind of betrayal to the principals of the original game or something.
>>
File: ms.jpg (76 KB, 738x960) Image search: [Google]
ms.jpg
76 KB, 738x960
>
>>
>>319603379
>There's no reason to bring up potential.
But I do, since nobody defending it can give an actual example of it being done well. Even you have to bring up a different game and say "imagine if it was like this instead". I have nothing against turn based games with timed decisions, I just don't understand why all these people coming out of the woodwork are clinging so hard to something that specifically has so few good qualities out of basically a commitment to nostalgia.
>>
>>319604478
Well I'm just a little confused as to what you're asking for. Are you wanting me to explain what's good about turn-based games, what's good about ATB and its version of turn-based combat, or both?

ATB has all the qualities of turn-based combat, but forces the player to think faster. That's it. That's its benefit. It also feels more, well, active. As if you're doing more and more is happening on the screen constantly since time is consistently passing.

Normal turn-based battles are great since they're all about planning and, when at their best, are about using buffs and debuffs and status changing moves and items most effectively to counter and stop enemy turns from causing your party much trouble.
>>
>>319604093

now post the letter he sent
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.