[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you feel like a hero yet?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 11
File: walker.jpg (233 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
walker.jpg
233 KB, 1680x1050
Do you feel like a hero yet?
>>
>>318423158
what a dumb game
>hurr hey kid do this bad thing
>augh why did you do the bad thing , you're fucking evil kid
>>
>>318424000
But you are not Walker.
>>
>>318423158
>Doing missions for the institute
>Miss the warning when starting the molecular level
>'hang on? why are the BOS shooting at me?'
>play the game, assuming there is a misunderstanding
>get sent to the brotherhood airship
>they are still shooting at me
>paladin Danse and co is in the final room
>They call me a fucking traitor

I didn't mean to hurt anyone.
>>
>>318423158
I still love the unique setting
>>
File: Specops3.jpg (143 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
Specops3.jpg
143 KB, 1280x1024
>>318423158
>Keep using zip lines to go down
>Somehow end up going higher and higher in the skyscrappers

It takes a strong man to deny what's right in front of him.
>>
File: SOTL-PAX-Screenshots-2.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
SOTL-PAX-Screenshots-2.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>318426502
>>
Fuck what /v/ hipsters say, I liked it
>>
>>318424162

they break the fourth wall in loading screens asking stuff like "How come you keep doing all these horrible things, why don't you turn the game off?"
>>
>>318426741
it was going a bit too far, even undertale did this better
>>
>>318426741

Why are you playing a game where you slaughter people for no clear reason, Anon?
>>
File: Specops4.jpg (205 KB, 1680x945) Image search: [Google]
Specops4.jpg
205 KB, 1680x945
>>318427142
I really like this one.

And I'm surprised more people don't talk about the mannequin room.
>>
This game is a pretty neat little adventure.

Any other neat adventure games like this?
>>
>>318427236
because we paid for it
>>
>>318426219
The game literally stops you to say doing this will make you an enemy of the Brotherhood and if you do accept it every on going Brotherhood mission will fail with an audio que accompanying it. You'd have to be blind and deaf to miss that.
>>
>>318426639
I hope i live to see the day when the oil ends
>>
>>318427818
I pressed A without reading it.
>>
File: 1426876769157.jpg (116 KB, 485x571) Image search: [Google]
1426876769157.jpg
116 KB, 485x571
>>318423158
You bet your ass I do.
>>
>>318427236
To tide us over until school shooter simulator comes out.
>>
>>318427236
>turn off the game epic meme

fuck off I paid for it I'm going to finish it
>>
>>318427986
>Dorner was 5 years ago.
>>
>>318427954
Okay, but you didnt notice the loud and ominous sound the failed quests made along with the large Quest Failed his popping up?
>>
>>318423158
This game inspired Kojima to make MGSV.
>>
>>318427673
Why did you pay money to play a game where you slaughter people for no clear reason, Anon?
>>
>>318428252
because i like video games and that's what most of them are about
>>
>>318427236
This is the reason this game fell short. It felt forced as fuck.
>>
>>318427236
Because it's fun, the character progression of Walker was interesting and I liked the locale.

I prefer to think of it more as a visual novel than anything else. The devs can eat a bag of dicks for their retention.

Also FUCK that ravine you fall into. Was stuck there for days.
>>
You turned us into fucking murderers!
>>
>>318426639
How is this possible. That's literally mountains of sand. I can't figure it out.
>>
>>318428710
Jew magic
>>
I feel like a retard for wasting time on this shit game.
>>
>>318427292
Yeah, what was up with that?
the manequins fucking moved
>>
>>318428213
Honestly, this game had a better story than MGS5
>>
File: 1447192250800.jpg (70 KB, 649x488) Image search: [Google]
1447192250800.jpg
70 KB, 649x488
>>318427986
>>318428203

>tfw i was in big bear when it was habbening
>tfw everyone figured he'd gone to mexico or some shit, that there was no way he was still in the mountains
>tfw wasnt held at gunpoint and wasnt able to bro out with the dorner and talk about how shit the LAPD is

What a missed opportunity
>>
You guys do know the producers were tired of making Spec Ops games, but the fans demanded it, so they made one meant to stop people from liking pointless wargames

right?
>>
>>318428937

just in case you haven't played the game or didn't figure it out: the stress Walker experiences trying to hold his team together and make decisions that agree with his orders and his personal values causes him to go completely nuts over the course of the game. After the part where the CIA guy dies, Walker's hallucinations start appearing. By the final cutscene, Walker is seeing people that don't exist at all and talking to a man whose corpse he is looking at.
>>
You have to be an american to get any kind of feels from this. But it was a mildly entertaining shooter anyway so no regrets
>>
>>318429278
>After the part where the CIA guy dies, Walker's hallucinations start appearing.

He actually starts hallucinating a lot earlier than that.
>>
>>318427986
>>318429193
>think Dorner is gonna be a hero who takes out at least a dozen cops and causes widespread uprisings against the police
>he kills two cops, a civillian woman and her husband before shooting himself in the head

My fault for getting my hopes up, I guess

why did no one ever question that the LAPD deliberately set fire to that cabin? Isn't that, like, illegal? and the news didn't seem to care about all those innocent people they shot during the manhunt either.
>>
File: 1419366369753.jpg (56 KB, 520x580) Image search: [Google]
1419366369753.jpg
56 KB, 520x580
maybe they shouldn't have kept those civies so close to the battle line if they were so concerned
>>
>tfw this game was meant to be made by Rockstar with a soundtrack by Queens of the Stone Age.
>>
>>318429120
MGSV is this game's story, among several others. Kojima sought a fusion of many games, movies, and other media with similar themes. Unfortunately, we only got a half-baked experience.

Looking at the source material for many of his ideas, the idea of what could have been eventually realized is tantalizing. I mean, all the other concepts combined on top of this one, the idea that the player is responsible for either continuing the cycle of retaliation, or for healing and saving the world...
>>
>>318426559

This is a genuine screenshot of a loading screen in Spec Ops?
>>
>>318429805
Yes.
>>
>>318429597
[Spoiler] Wasn't it first the radio hallucinations? [/spoiler]
>>
>>318427236
>Why are you playing a game where you slaughter people for no clear reason, Anon?
because people told me it was a good game.
Clearly, they lied.

Too bad there wasn't a steam refunds option yet, I would have returned the game just like how the game wants me to.
>>
File: 1393951937062.png (424 KB, 623x527) Image search: [Google]
1393951937062.png
424 KB, 623x527
>>318426559
>the us military does not condone the killing of unarmed combatants
>>
>>318426559
>>318427292
With heavy-handed shit like that, how the fuck did anyone take this game any seriously?
>>
>>318430621
You have to keep in mind they made this game for the Call of Duty audience. Subtlety is right the fuck out the window if you're trying to explain something to that kind of people.
>>
>>318430621
I didn't because I barely watched any loading screen.
I had to get the twist on my face to undersand how good the game is. I was struggling with the gameplay so much it was frustrating and shit, then the end opened my eyes.
>>
>>318426559
I think its intentional
>>
Can we stop talking about this shitty game yet?

Good story or not the game isn't fun on any level. It is literally the most mediocre third person shooter I've ever laid hands on.
>>
File: 1376220854744.jpg (65 KB, 342x342) Image search: [Google]
1376220854744.jpg
65 KB, 342x342
>>318429642
>why did no one ever question that the LAPD deliberately set fire to that cabin
because nobody cared that some dude who shot a bunch of people died in a fire.
>>
>"Spec Ops: The Line" is a third-person exercise in ludonarrative dissonance - which is to say, a third-person regen-health cover shooter - created by Yager Development and 2K Games. It attempts to "subvert" the "tropes" found in existing regen-health cover shooters despite those games almost all attempting to do the same thing, resulting in a round robin tournament finale where the loser will be declared the boring straight man that all the others are making fun of (spoiler: It's Medal of Honor).

>One of the most notable and cited scenes of "Spec Ops: The Line" is the White Phosphorous scene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-b7TaLjdXMc

>This scene depicts a scenario in which the protagonist, while burning enemies alive to death with 84mm incendiary rounds fired from a mortar, accidentally (air quotes) kills some civilians. The player is shocked and surprised to learn that they have killed civilians despite the civilians in question being visibly unarmed and not engaged in combat. From this, gamers learned several valuable lessons. Well, one valuable lesson.

>1) Sometimes when you are shooting at people, the people are civilians and shooting them is bad.

>One might assume that the basic concept of not shooting unarmed people would be simple enough, but apparently Spec Ops: The Line was a daring piece for breaching this otherwise untouched subject. Perhaps in the future of gaming we can potentially address even more controversial subjects, like "White Phosphorous is technically banned by the Geneva Convention anyways" and "soldiers are actually people so maybe don't kill them all either, especially if they surrender or something".
>>
>>318432732
>-ALTERNATIVES-
>While many gamers are still reeling from this incredible revelation, it's worth discussing the ways in which other games have discussed similar subject matter with a bit more aplomb.

>Call of Duty 4, one of the games that Spec Ops is supposedly subverting, makes it very clear in its equivalent gameplay segment that civilians are not to be targeted. While it could easily be possible to make commentary on the joy that the player is meant to feel by exploding hundreds of enemy soldiers from an invulnerable gunship a mile in the sky, Spec Ops declines to challenge this aspect but instead focuses on the fact that you might be killing civilians. In CoD4, the few civilians in this segment are noted by the fact that they are neither carrying nor shooting weapons, a nuance that apparently escaped Spec Ops' target audience.

>Full Spectrum Warrior is a tactics-based game where the player commands one squad composed of two US Army fire teams. In this game, the player does not directly control the soldiers' guns, but rather assigns zones of engagement. The civilians in this game exist in normal gameplay, and unless the player is quick to stop them, soldiers may engage enemies when civilians are in the way. This kills the civilian. Going by the testimony of actual US military personnel, this is far closer to the reality of civilian death in war than Spec Ops' scenario.
>>
>>318432839
>ARMA 2 devises similar scenarios - civilians inhabit towns during regular gameplay, and will often be caught up in battles between factions. The high usage of explosives and artillery in this game makes an even more direct statement than FSW, as entire areas will sometimes be targeted for artillery or mortar attacks by individuals incapable of judging the presence of civilians. Contrasted against the direct thermal visuals of Spec Ops' scenario, it's much more reflective of the haze of war. This is compounded by the multiplayer mode in which one side consists of guerillas posing as civilians, a scenario much more in line with the reality of the insurgency in Iraq.

>Metal Gear Solid and Rainbow Six even go so far as to say that maybe even killing hostile soldiers is bad - MGS offers non-lethal alternatives such as tranq darts or stealthy avoidance, while Rainbow Six sees some enemies surrendering and offering themselves up for capture.While simplistic, these measures humanize enemies and make the choice of killing or not killing them more meaningful, whereas the always-hostile, always-angry enemies of Spec Ops and similar shooters cannot really be treated like humans from a moral standpoint.

>-CONCLUSION-
>Killing is wrong and bad. This is a lesson that gamers actually had trouble learning and needed help to internalize. Despite this, they seem to still think of themselves as being intellectuals. This is itself a mystery.
>>
>>318430621
It's not as heavy handed as it appears in a screenshot.
>>
>>318429278
I know, but the manequinn room is long before the CIA guy dies
>>
>>318427236
Why did they make a game that requires you to slaughter people for no clear reason and then act as though they've taken the moral high ground because you don't -have- to play the game?
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.