[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The fact that so many books still name The Legend of Zelda:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: gilbert-header.jpg (43 KB, 250x508) Image search: [Google]
gilbert-header.jpg
43 KB, 250x508
>The fact that so many books still name The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" videogame ever only tells you how far videogames still are from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Videogame critics are still blinded by commercial success. Ocarina of Time sold more than anything else (not true, by the way), therefore it must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Videogame critics are often totally ignorant of the videogames of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that Ocarina of Time did anything worthy of being saved.

Was Paul Gilbert right in saying this?
>>
Who?
>>
File: 1459189325964.jpg (24 KB, 570x428) Image search: [Google]
1459189325964.jpg
24 KB, 570x428
Wasn't that originally about rock music?

Anyway, I agree. I'm 26 and naturally played plenty of older games. But the past year I've gone back and played even more classics I missed, even some I wasn't really interested in, just so I'd have some perspective on my main hobby. It's funny to me that a lot of professional critics don't have this experience, and don't even seem interested. It also makes me respect the few who do more.

I wonder, if I really build up this experience more, and take a more inquisitive attitude about the game as I play them, if I can surpass even some of the actual good vidya critics out there. At least in my head, if that makes sense.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYadzOGZGRg
>>
>>345410213
>most significant or most influential

how could something be significant or influential if it wasnt well known and sold extremely well?
>>
>>345410213
Actually Bach is considered greater than Mozart and Beethoven
>>
>>345410213
Fuck, why are music fags such cancer?
>>
>>345411826
Pretentious, superiority complex, special snow flake syndrome, ect
>>
>>345412167
x yourself
>>
OOT already has enough flaws to prevent it from being the best game ever made.

>unskippable cutscenes
>no difficulty
>filler sidequests (the running man)
>huge areas full of nothing
>no replayability

Just to start.
>>
I haven't seen one you fuckers day what it should be instead. And don't resort to le old game (pacman, pong, Terri's, etc....) the only acceptable alternative I can think of is super Mario.
>>
>>345410213
>Jazz critics
>not even bothering with adjusting it
>>
>>345410213
All jazz sounds exactly the same.

Also, the point of entertainment is money. If you don't draw, you're shit at your craft.
>>
>>345413537
Because it's a silly premise to begin with. People prefer different genres of games for one thing, so comparing videogames as a whole to a single genre of music is retarded. My favorite game could be part of a genre a lot of gamers aren't even interested in, regardless of how competently made the game is.

I agree with the general point that's trying to be made - that critics of a medium ought to be experienced with that medium. But just saying "it's agreed that x and y are definitely the best of a genre" is dumb.
>>
File: Scarufficore.jpg (2 MB, 985x1455) Image search: [Google]
Scarufficore.jpg
2 MB, 985x1455
Fuck this stale pasta, favorite Scaruffi approved album?
>>
Great job OP.
>>
>>345414102
The Doors are shit mate
>>
>>345410213

False equivalency.

You need a decent budget and a studio to create great video games.

Not a single individual blowing on one end of a pipe.

Closest analogy to video games are Disney cartoons.

Jazz is shit tier genre for niggers and cucks.
>>
>>345413870
To someone who doesn't listen to it sure, but then that's what everyone says for something he doesn't know, all action movies are the same, all fantasy movies are the same, all SF is the same,all FPS games are the same, all RPGs are the same, all anything is the same to someone who isn't into it and hasn't developed a perception for it.

The point of industry is money, the point of entertainment is to entertain and that will depend on your tastes, that's why it's important for the big industries that everyone develops the same tastes.
If you don't draw you could be bad or people viewing your craft could be dumb.
To use the if it sells=it is good in 2016 is incredibly blind.
>>
>Videogame critics are still blinded by commercial success. Ocarina of Time sold more than anything else (not true, by the way), therefore it must have been the greatest.

If it didn't sell the most, and video game critics are blinded by consumer success, then it shouldn't be the most significant game of all time?
>>
I like that one show where he gets BTFO by Marty.
>>
>>345414535
Most games have one designer, most music groups have one composer.
The commercial side of it - the studio, the labor, the budget - everything that goes into building and selling it to people is irrelevant to the art. Compare video games to movies, which are equally shackled by requirements of implementation and massive budgets. Guess what? Most movies have one director.

Why is Kubrick so well-respected?
Why does anyone care about Citizen Kane?
Why isn't Avatar universally acclaimed as the greatest motion picture created by mankind?

You used false equivalency to claim false equivalency. Good going, you ignorant fuck.
>>
Videogames dont need to be considered art to do what they are doing now ,which is be entertaining.

if they dont are considered art , who gives a fuck and if they are who gives a fuck as well
>>
>tfw trying to get back into music
>too hard
What would I be able to get into? I like:
>The Smiths
>Radiohead
>REM
>The Replacements
>Weezer
>Sonic Youth
>King Crimson
>David Bowie
>Dinosaur Jr.
I probably have the safest taste in the world.
>>
File: 1468295350515.jpg (29 KB, 254x257) Image search: [Google]
1468295350515.jpg
29 KB, 254x257
>>345414535
>Jazz is shit tier

What a pleb
>>
>>345418736
Unwound
Iceage
The Microphones

also very safe recs
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.