[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay, so I'm bored and looking for some free horror/indie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 9
File: maxresdefault.jpg (32 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
32 KB, 1280x720
Okay, so I'm bored and looking for some free horror/indie horror games to play. My computer is kinda shit so I can't really run really high graphics without lag.
>>
File: SH PC Guide - Jan 2016_SML.png (2 MB, 1300x3453) Image search: [Google]
SH PC Guide - Jan 2016_SML.png
2 MB, 1300x3453
>>343907125
How about you skip the indie crap, and go straight to the undeniable kings of the horror genre, the original Silent Hill games? Being so old games, any wormbox should run them just fine nowadays.

Here's the neat SH PC Guide, and the DL links:

SH1 NTSC DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" fix works as a no-cd crack as well, and is included in the pack.

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.
>>
>>343907470
here's the recommended emulator settings for SH1. Works great on all other games too.

The plugins used are:
-Pete's OpenGL 1.78; (more options & better performance than 2.x version)
-Eternal's SPU Engine.

alternatively just use a software renderer for very 1:1 PS1-like graphics, including 240p only.
...OR just buy the game from PSN Store for few bucks.

Obviously you should play the games in the release order. Don't play under the Normal difficulties, adjust down the in-game Brightness setting, and don't rush. I'd recommend avoiding trying to kill everything that moves, especially if you have enough room to just leg it / turn off the lamp and sneak past foes.

I'd also recommend replaying each of the games. There's plenty of endings, unlockables, and just details you tend to miss on first run.
>>
>>343907125
if you got HL1 on Steam, look up the Afraid Of Monsters: Director's Cut mod.
>>
>>343907470
Thanks man.
>>
File: harry thumbs up_2.png (346 KB, 546x546) Image search: [Google]
harry thumbs up_2.png
346 KB, 546x546
>>343908446
Np bro. Always happy to spread SH love!
This series has been seriously mistreated the past decade, and you can't even get the games anywhere anymore.
>>
>>343908659
I honestly never played any of the Silent Hill games, I heard the first one is pretty scary. I enjoy playing this kinda games late at night for the spooks. lol
>>
File: sh1 1080p alt school door.jpg (463 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
sh1 1080p alt school door.jpg
463 KB, 1920x1080
>>343908912
What a chance to experience them for the first time, right now, then?

And yeah, the games are definitely spooky, and not in that modern "BOO I'M A SCAWY THING WITH LOUD SOUND!!" jumpscare way. SH1 is stil my favorite of the bunch after all these years, and definitely the one people should start with. SH2 is the big cult-hit that everyone raves about, and it definitely belongs to the list of games that prove vidya being art. Maybe not quite as terrifying as SH1, but still has neat atmosphere.

I used to be a total Resi-kid back in the day, until I played SH1. Coming from the B-movie splatter style zombie shooters (that I already considered "scary" at first) to these terrorizing mindfuck trips with low-tech weaponry and low visibility seriously fucked me up at times.
>>
>>343907470
>You will never be this ready
>>
>>343909524
it's just matter of saving the image + the links & tips in the post. You never know when it will become handy.
>>
I remember Cry of Fear was great horror. It was a mod for HL2. Not sure what's up with it now.
>>
File: CoF - Beware of trees.jpg (342 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
CoF - Beware of trees.jpg
342 KB, 1920x1080
>>343910923
>I remember Cry of Fear was great horror. It was a mod for HL2.
Wrong. It's a HL1 mod.
And it was released on Steam as a free standalone game ages ago. The original mod version was already quite well received, and I too liked it quite a bit, no matter that it's not quite as insane-scary as the Afraid Of Monsters:DC was.

Just a tiny warning though: many people on /v/ greatly dislike CoF and AoM these days. Most of it is related to the fact that the author was literally like 15 when he made them.
>>
>>343911963
>Ctrl+F Ao Oni
>no results
Please, OP, play this game.
It's made in RPG Maker, but it's easily one of the best RPG Maker Horror games.
>>
>>343911963
I stand corrected, it was a long time since I played it. Gonna give this Afraid of Monsters thing a go.
>>
I just replayed them all and it really is : SH1>2>3>4

3 feels a bit linear
>>
Eversion is a very short little platformer with a twist.

There's a "remastered" one on steam but you can get the original for free here. http://zarat.us/tra/eversion/
>>
>silent hill
>horror
lol
>>
>>343910923
it was half life one, and i think it is stand alone now
>>
>>343907470
Boss that torrent you linked for 2 has no seeds.
>>
I'd recommend an indie horror game called Anatomy. I bought it last night for $3 or something like that and it was definitely memorable. Definitely give that a look.
>>
>>343907125
If you have Half-Life then Afraid of Monsters Director's Cut is pretty good.
>>
>>343914606
also, They Hunger
>>
With all the other HL2 mods being posted in this thread I'm going to rec Underhell. It's a mix of horror and action and both are done really well.
>>
File: SH2ini.png (16 KB, 717x438) Image search: [Google]
SH2ini.png
16 KB, 717x438
>>343907470
So sh2proxy tells me to use the widescreen fix.
The PCgamingwiki says that I can forces 60fps with the widescreen fix, but the ini file only has these settings.
Whats up with that?
>>
>>343914606
Afraid of monsters is awesome!
>>
>>343915374
Nevermind, there was a second .ini file in the scripts folder that came with the fix. I'm all good..
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.