[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this game worth playing? I've heard mixed things about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: drkcld.jpg (16 KB, 215x300) Image search: [Google]
drkcld.jpg
16 KB, 215x300
Is this game worth playing? I've heard mixed things about it but im not sure about getting it.
>>
One of the comfiest games I've ever played. If you liked playing any jrpg during PS1 and PS2 days, you'll like this.
>>
Understand that it's a product of its time. There are some frustrating features, but overall there is a good game inside of it.

+positives
>varied cast of characters
>georama is fun to mess with
>lots of cool weapons
>combat is interesting enough
>customization of your weapon stats is through the roof
>fairly difficult on your first playthrough
>varied levels and dungeons to sprawl through
>the OST is pretty damn good

-negatives
>dungeons are randomly generated. You'll always have certain rooms and bosses at certain points, but for the most part prepare to feel like you're playing a roguelike
>weapons break easily, and you will never get them back if you let them break
>bosses are a complete joke
>half your characters are kinda useless
>not much replayability after you beat it, unless you count the 100 floor bonus dungeon
>the story is completely and utterly laughable.
>>
It's pretty good, although the roguelike bits may take some getting used to.
>>
>>343025328
>dat boxart

How did that shit go through? It looks like fucking link yet they release it like that? Didn't they think people could call it zelda ripoff by simply looking at the boxart? God Sony is so stupid.
>>
>>343026245

That was their plan, Einstein. They didn't care if people called it a ripoff, they wanted to consider it a Zelda Killer. think of it like a WOW killer.

>see, we can do gay fairy boys saving the world from evil sorcerers too! nintendo has met it's match! - t.sony
>>
A bit clunky and repetitive, but super fucking comfy and bleeds charm. Town building is great, especially trying to get them exactly how the people want them. Neat weapon upgrade system. Bonus points for cool as fuck sunken ship dungeon.
>>
>>343026456
I think the most accurate impression back in the day among gaming normies (kids mostly) would have been something like "DUUUDE ZELDA IS ON PS2!!" rather than making people think it's a zelda killer/ripoff
>>
>>343025842
I wouldn't say anyone's useless except maybe Goro. Possibly Xiao after you get Osmond but that's the last character you get.
>>
File: Dark_cloud_2_us_front.jpg (141 KB, 640x908) Image search: [Google]
Dark_cloud_2_us_front.jpg
141 KB, 640x908
This was my first PS2 game. I got it included with the box. Good game, but Dark Cloud 2 is superior in every way
>>
File: 45141679_p0.png (3 MB, 2480x3425) Image search: [Google]
45141679_p0.png
3 MB, 2480x3425
>>343027219
Dark Cloud 2 doesn't have a cute protagonist.
>>
>>343027219
>fewer characters
>vastly inferior world building

Otherwise yeah.
>>
>>343027219
I didn't get far into it, but picture taking felt like a choir and was annoying that you could miss a shit ton of missable pictures. Also, I'm hours into the game and I STILL can fucking build anything. Town building was one of the best parts of DC, so why are you gonna make me go through half the game to get to that shit? All in all, DC2 felt like a step down from a gameplay perspective, although the story does seem a bit interesting. DC still feels a little bit more comfy story wise though.
>>
File: 1464356135604.jpg (40 KB, 850x638) Image search: [Google]
1464356135604.jpg
40 KB, 850x638
the soundtrack alone makes it worth playing. The same goes for the sequel. They are atmospheric as phuc and 2 has a compelling story to boot. only drawback with these titles is repetetiveness and a combat system that never really evolves, gets a bit stagnant and repetetive. But they are both worth checking out, mostly the second one because it improves on the first in terms of presentation and feel
>>
The game gets old after the first town
>>
>>343028559
I actually think it gets better after the first town. As soon as you realize there's way more to it than that and it gives you all these new locations and characters.
>>
How many dungeons do you need to go through before you actually start getting georama shit in 2? 2 dungeons in and I'm still waiting for the real fun to begin.
>>
>>343027348
this, also dc2 wasn't comfy for me
>>
>>343025328

I liked it, but Dark Cloud 2 was better

Dark Cloud 3, when?
>>
>>343025328
The water mechanic pissed me off I had to quit the game. What a piece of shit chore, the game might have been fun without it
>>
>>343029276
It's really not a big deal. Carry like five waters at all times, use your gourds, and you'll almost never notice it.
>>
It's definitely worth playing.

It's comfy as fuck, the georama mode is interesting without being overly tedious, the combat is simple yet solid, and if you're smart, you can just play one character and use a Synthsphere to make your less-played characters viable for the floors you have to use them on (Seriously, do that. Build up a good weapon, break it into a sphere and keep it around so that your shitter allies aren't useless when you have to use them if you don't want to level up their weapons).

On the negative side, it's old, the systems in the game are limited compared to what they could be, and the weapon variety is OKAY, but nothing spectacular. I think Toan the MC gets the most weapons at 20-30ish, everyone else has about half that.

>>343026927
>Goro
>useless
He and Toan are the only two who can take down the dark genie without taking damage. Use them in phase 1, charge their attack and release it right as the hand comes up for HUEG NUMBERS.

Xiao is useless though. The only time I ever play her is during dran and during her limited floors. Sony really dropped the ball making Osmond's movement gimmick completely superior to Xiao. There's no reason to switch to her since her jump is slower than Osmond just floating over gaps...
>>
>>343029896
>He and Toan are the only two who can take down the dark genie without taking damage.

The only two MELEE, I mean. Xiao Ssmond and Ruby tend to do less damage than Goro Toan and Dindunuffin in my experience.

>>343029276
>carry 8 water in your quickslot up top
>visit pools when you're thirsty

I literally never had a problem with it.
>>
>>343029896
Goro's problem for me was that I didn't see a reason to use him over Toan, and since you -already- have Toan when you get him... eh.

Xiao is really useful until you get Osmond because she can hit evasive enemies like fliers and those fucking moles.
>>
>>343030072
You know those burrowy mole guys? Goro is the only melee who can reliably get rid of those. Ranged have an easier time with them, but hey, goro can do more damage.

Goro's weapons are also overall stronger than Toan's until Chronicle 2, I think, in terms of raw damage. Toan's are faster, but I always though speed was useless.
>>
>>343030330
That's the other thing on Goro, though. Yeah, he does moles better than Toan but Xiao handles those better than Goro... so... why use Goro?

I get his damage is a bit better, but his actual movement speed and attack speed is a lot slower and stiffer. I never found Goro fun to play and instead he felt awkward. He's the only character in the game I never felt like there was a reason to use.
>>
>>343026764
I remember on the issue of psm it was featured on, the cover had in huge letters "Zelda Killer" on the cover.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.