[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How important is graphics to /v/? Part 2: "The games industry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: hqdefault.jpg (32 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
32 KB, 480x360
How important is graphics to /v/? Part 2:

"The games industry uses high quality graphics to hide the lack of innovation in gameplay"

How true is this statement?
>>
>>342949579
We didn't need amazing graphics to appreciate games back in the day. They were a luxury, not a defining aspect.
Kids just want shit that looks pretty. Thats it. The proof is in the fact that they continuously have their parents shovel out cash each and every time a new cod comes out. Same gameplay and "improved" graphics > innovation to them.

Hell, i still remember when everyone was flipping their shit about being able to see realistic sweat in one of the new niggerball games. I'm not saying good graphics are a bad thing, but when it's the focus of your game, you're gonna have a bad time.
>>
>>342949893
People who talk like this are children pretending to be adults. Graphics are an important part of the game, games didn't have poor graphics back in the day by choice - they were limited by hardware of the time. Every game should strive to look as good as possible, this mentality of "le graphics should be an afterthought" is why steam is flooded with about 10,000 pixelshit indie games. No, games that look bad aren't attractive or appealing to me. I only play old games for the nostalgia, there is no reason to release one now.
>>
>>342949579
I agree completely but it isn't the only thing to be said on the subject.

I really don't care to write a long argument about why that no one will read.

There exists a limit where graphical quality is satisfied. Once you reach that minimum, anything past that is not required. Games that solely focus on graphical quality at the cost of gameplay are disposable, which is funny considering all the time spent making a great looking game that didn't have any interesting gameplay.
>>
>>342950528
>Graphics are an important part of the game

Depends entirely on the game.
>>
>>342950528
Artistic Direction > Graphics.

Many games that try to look realistic looks like shit nowadays and even a few months after they are released, they are nice to look at for a while but as >>342949893 said if it is the only thing your game can offer than it is a shitty game.
>>
>>342950528
>games didn't have poor graphics back in the day by choice

people back in the day thought those games had great graphics
Doom was thought to be so realistic and violent it caused school shootings.

you're basically saying that graphics will always age, whereas gameplay will last.

no reason why there are people that still play/mod with Doom otherwise.
>>
>>342949893
>uses cod as an example

They actually innovate far more than EA games. And graphics has never been their selling point.
>>
>>342949579
Why does 3 look the best?
>>
>>342949579
I don't care about graphics but since modern games put so much emphasis on it it's pretty much the only thing you can expect to be good.

So yeah, fuck graphics
>>
>>342952593
because muh PBR
>>
>>342949579
Incredibly important, marines don't wear a folded down Chinese collar in their uniform like the army, they have regular collars. I value the small details a lot.
>>
>>342949579
I'd say that's accurate. Actual gameplay only comes from Indie or Japanese games but even Japan is starting to gear towards less gameplay, more GFX.
>>
The BF4 girl looks like Ivanka Trump

Cute. CUTE!
>>
>>342949579

I'd say half true. I'd argue graphical fidelity gets an unreasonable amount of attention and that gameplay suffers as a result, of that, rather than it being used to deliberately smokescreen weak gameplay decisions and choices earlier in development.
>>
>>342950528

No-ones sayingraphics aren't important and everything is a product of its hardware, but Dev cycles have only gotten longer over the past decade and that trend shows no signs of changing, and a disproportionate amount of time is spent on visuals now over gameplay or other elements of a game, because that's proven to be a better selling point. It's simple cause and effect, but it's still shitty.

Every game should strive to look as good as you can make it, but where do you draw the line? 3 years in a render farm? 4? I see visuals as something you work on after you've finished all your gameplay, your level design, control issues and mechanical bugs, personally.
>>
>>342949579
Some of the games industry uses poor graphics to masquerade the fact that they don't want to strive for better quality and use their "focus on gameplay" scapegoat in attempts for you to focus on their usually shallow uninspired gameplay
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.