[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best versions of each Final Fantasy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 8
File: image.png (85 KB, 830x357) Image search: [Google]
image.png
85 KB, 830x357
Call me crazy /v/, but I wanna play through every Final Fantasy game out there. But I don't wanna re-tread on any territory or miss out on a better version of a game I already went through, so what's the most optimal (and preferably cheapest) way to play each one? I already own the very first NES game, the V&VI psone anthology collection, and the phone version of XI. Just assume I have every console ever.
>>
>>316839735
My bad, I own the psone version of IX, not the phone version, if there even is one
>>
Daily reminder that FF1 sucks - no matter the version - and that saying "it's a classic" doesn't mean shit. You are a shit person misleading people if you recommend this trash.

>Play Final Fantasy on the NES
>"Oh, this sucks"
>Read about the remakes
>Play the FF1 remake on GBA
>"Oh this still sucks"
>People say to try the PSP remake
>Try it
>"Oh this is the exact same fucking trash as the GBA version."

/v/ has the worst taste imaginable if they think the PSP version is some marked improvement over the GBA/NES versions. Recommending a bad Final Fantasy game is retarded, especially when there are quality SNES JRPGs that one could be playing like Bahamut Lagoon or Glory of Heracles 3. There are just so many good JRPGs somebody could be playing instead of playing a bad one like FF1.

But you know what's stupid about people that defend Final Fantasy 1? They're also the same kind of people that would shit on Final Fantasy Mystic Quest for its insultingly simplistic design and plot.
>>
>>316839968
Nigga I'm still gonna play 1 for shits and giggles, I wanna know about the other ~15
>>
>>316840238
Don't reply to that faggot, he posts that every day.

Maybe give the Phantasy Star series a try, it's not way overhyped like FF can be for many people.
>>
>1 - PSP
>2 - PSP
>3 - PSP/PC
>4 - PSP (for a more traditional experience) or DS (radically different gameplay wise than the originals)
>5 - GBA
>6 - GBA w/ patches or SNES
>7 - PC
>8 - PC
>9 - PS1
>10 - Any
>10-2 - Any
>12 - International Zodiac Job System Version (PS2 patched iso)
>13 - PC
>13-2 - PC
>>
>>316840539
That's great and all and imma let you finish
But what's the best way to play each final fantasy?
>>
File: 1447696380106.jpg (107 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
1447696380106.jpg
107 KB, 768x768
how is the pc version of XIII nowdays??
>>
>>316839735
>Just assume I have every console ever.
Well then, I'll help you with the remakes.
>Final Fantasy I & II
PSP version has a lot of extra shit, has all the things from the GBA version and more. And it looks nicer.
>Final Fantasy III
All three versions of the remakes are about the same (DS, PSP, iOS). Get whatever you want, unless you want the original version, but why would you want that.
>Final Fantasy IV
Now this one is a bit complicated and it may vary depending on what you like.
The 3D DS remake has neat voiced cutscenes, gameplay tweaks and improvements and some extra minigames and content. But you can't change your endgame party like you can in the GBA and PSP version. It's also even harder than the original version, I played both.
The PSP version has all three chapters of the FF IV saga (FFIV, Prologue, After Years) and all the extra content of the GBA version (some extra dialogue and party switching). But you don't get Kain's sexy voice and I don't think it has Job Augments either. And the After Years isn't that great until the very last chapter.

>Final Fantasy V
Get the GBA version for more content but the music is not going to sound as great. There might be patches for that, I think.

>Final Fantasy VI
The GBA is not as pretty nor sounds as good as the SNES version, but you can fix that with patches. So you can have the SNES experience with the extra content of the GBA version. There's decensor, music and graphic patches, get them all.
>>
>>316840664
>>316840698
These niggas get it
>>
FFI: GBA or PSP. Alternatively, Mod of Balance hack is way better but obviously not official
FFII: I don't know I hate this one
FFIII: Can't go wrong with any version, but I like DS
FFIV: DS definitely for gameplay. If you like sprites -that- much you might disagree
FFV: GBA has extra content but it doesn't matter if you don't plan to do it anyway
FFVI: This one really doesn't matter
VII-IX: There's only one real version of each as far as I'm concerned
X: Any will do for a first playthrough, but International/HD's expert sphere grid allows more freedom and fucking around which is fun if you're familiar with the game
XII: I prefer IZJS, even if the game's classes aren't well balance it's more fun than everyone being able to do everything
>>
File: Cidney Nighttime.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Cidney Nighttime.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
PC
>>
Really showing my newfaggotry here, but what happened to FFXI? Is X-II considered 11 and they skip right to XII or is it just shit?
>>
>>316841074
MMO. Pretty good MMO, actually. Dead now.
>>
>>316841074
>Really showing my newfaggotry here,
You really are.
Anyway, FFXI is a MMO. It's mainline but you don't really lose much by skipping it, you know how MMOs are. I heard it's actually pretty good.
>>
>>316840686

looks great with some slowdown on weaker machines
>>
>>316841074
It's a MMORPG, you millennial babby.
>>
>>316841232
Dead as in no one plays it or dead as in the servers are down and it's literally unplayable? If it's the former I might drag some friends along with me.
>>
File: FF11 Troupe Mayakov.webm (2 MB, 1280x664) Image search: [Google]
FF11 Troupe Mayakov.webm
2 MB, 1280x664
>>316841074
It's one of those MMO things. Some old people shit.
>>
IGNORE ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU TO PLAY THE PSP or GBA VERSIONS OF FFI

THEY ARE HYPER CASUALS WHO CAN'T HANDLE THE ORIGINAL MAGIC SYSTEM

If you didn't play NES, PS1, or Wonderswan you did not play FFI.
>>
>>316841458
Dead as in maybe there are a few people still playing it, but they completely changed the game when FFXIV released and it's nothing like it originally was. Others could probably go into more detail.
>>
File: 51n7p05lcoL.jpg (60 KB, 354x500) Image search: [Google]
51n7p05lcoL.jpg
60 KB, 354x500
best version of FF XI
>>
>>316839735

FFI - Anything before GBA
FFII - PSP
FFIII - Debatable, I prefer DS
FFIV - DS and PSP versions are both good for different reasons
FFIV-2 - PSP
FFV - There's not really a good English port. GBA is probably the best but has some issues.
FFVI - I have only played this on GBA which had issues
FFVII - PS1
FFVIII - PS1
FFIX - PS1
FFX - PS3
FFXI - lol it ded
FFXII - Emulate IZJS
FFXIII - PS3
FFXIV - PC

FFT - PSP. PS1 has less slowdown, a few better lines and some other minor advantages but the translation is ass on the whole, and the PSP brings rebalancing, gorgeous cutscenes, new dialogue and new classes

FF:CC:EoT - DS. Wii version is kind of a shoddy port

I cannot think of any other FF games that are on multiple systems.
>>
>>316841458

Dead as in Abyssea ruined everything and you will never play the true FFXI ever again.
>>
>>316841983

I forgot:

FF Dimensions - Android
>>
I'd just like to say that I find it annoying that they consider the MMO's part of the main series.
>>
>>316840664
Do the new versions of 7 and 8 on pc have the ps1 music?
>>
>>316841983
There's a patch for the PSP version of FFT that fixes slowdown
>>
The best version of FF4 is the DS/mobile version. It has more content and is more difficult and has voice acting.

Anybody who says otherwise is objectively a fucking mongoloided retard and literally has a piece of steel rebar lodged in their fucking autistic shit of a brain.
>>
Alright fags, I think I've got this sorta figured out.
>FF1 on the NES because fuck it
>FF2,3,4&4-2 on PSP
>FF5-9 on the ps1
>FF10&10-2 on PS3
>maybe get some fags together and have an FF11 party one day
>FF12 emulated with that IZJS patch shit
>FF13 on PS3
>I know FF14 is another mmo so I might try that one out
>FF15 when it comes out
Might try tactics and crystal chronicles somewhere down the road. Also I've heard of FF Dissidia, the fuck is that?
>>
>>316842757

I like that version and I think it's a toss up, but it does not have more content than the PSP version, which has After Years.
>>
>>316842757
PSP version of IV has more content desu
>>
>>316842831
>5-9 on PS1

Don't the PS1 versions of V and VI have ridiculous loading times?

Also, I just beat FF1 on NES yesterday. Have fun grinding, OP.
>>
>>316842951
>>316842968
After Years is available on mobile now too so your argument goes into the toilet and all the way to the nearest sewage plant, you fucking mongrels.
>>
>>316843062
Yeah but fuck it I own them already
>>
File: 480.jpg (23 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
480.jpg
23 KB, 640x480
>>316843082
Does it have interlude? also
>playing on mobile
>>
>>316842831

Dissidia is sort of a fighting game. There's two for the PSP (Just get the second one unless you're insterested in the story ((which isn't bad for a fighting game))) and one in Japanese Arcades with a PS4 release coming next year.

It's pretty fuckin' fun, I put some 600 hours into the first one without even having people to play with but I get autistic as fuck about certain things.
>>
File: cecil-load-captain.jpg (41 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
cecil-load-captain.jpg
41 KB, 400x300
>>316842757
>The best version of FF4 is the DS/mobile version.
>mobile
lol, no
>>
>>316839735
Well you already missed the train for XI.
>>
>>316843082

That would be purchasing a second game.

So what you're saying is that the PSP has the content of two games

Which is true
>>
>>316841652
They just released the "last" content update for the game. As of now the official "story" can be completed, but they're going to continue to support it until people stop playing it. Give SE credit, they've kept that game up for a hell of a long time, and while it might not be exactly the same as it was before, it's still fun to mess around in. The playerbase for the most part is super helpful and supportive of newer players (just don't be a dick). I messed around with it for a few months and would highly recommend.
>>
>>316842831

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju0R6vA7iOg
>>
Anyone telling you to play the Steam versions of FFIII, IV, or IVTAY is an idiot.
They're horribly butchered emulations of android ports of the iOS versions. I'm serious.
I'm talking horrid UI, locked 20fps bullshit.
I REPEAT, DO NOT PLAY THE PC VERSIONS OF THOSE TITLES, YOU WILL REGRET IT.

If you must play them on your PC, do so via PSP/DS emulation only. Or if your PSP has CFW, then via RemoteJoyLite since it's compatible.
>>
>>316842831

Don't play 5 on PS1, the translation is a load of fuck and it has additional load times like all the PS1 ports of SNES RPGs. 6 on PS1 also has load time problems but the translation is better at least.

GBA versions are mostly the best for those games and have additional content, but you need patches to fix the slowdown/colours/music, and the audio quality is still lower than on SNES even with the patch.

I hate that there's still no definitive version of FFV/VI when they're some of the best games in the series. FFIV got the great PSP version as a definitive version of the original game, but the only modern versions of V and VI come from the mobile port with that horrible new spritework and clashing interface.
>>
>>316843526
Hot damn that looks fun, thanks anon.
Next question, I'm reading some shit that some of these games have sequels? Like 10-2 and 4-the after years are straightforward sounding, but what the fuck are games like crisis core and lightning returns?
>>
>>316843705

The first game suffers from a similar problem.

Every port after the PS1 uses the MP system instead of spells-per-day, NES has some dated issues (no backgrounds, no switching targets when one dies) so the best port ends up being the PS1 version which has the issues that all of the other PS1 ports have.
>>
>>316843976

The XIII games are a trilogy that nobody asked for - XIII, XIII-2, and then Lightning Returns.

Crisis Core is a prequel to FFVII from back when they were trying to push the "Compilation of FFVII." It's probably the only thing related to FFVII that's worth checking out aside from the original game. It annoyingly retcons a few things but is pretty decent overall.

Most of the sequels are kind of irrelevant/unnecessary to play honestly.
>>
>>316843976

Lightning returns is effectively FFXIII-3 but it has a different gameplay style

Crisis Core is an ARPG prequel to FFVII, don't play it until after you've finished that.

Dirge of Cerberus is an awful TPS sequel to FFVII focusing on a side character. Play it if you're a completionist or if you have a hard-on for Vincent and for no other reason.

FF:CC and it's sequels are mostly all dungeon crawlers, they're all unrelated though story wise. FF:CC: My life as King is a kingdom sim, My life as Darklord is a dungeon builder kind of game.

The FF Legend games are technically the first SaGa games and not FF games, they're all great though.

FF Adventure is the first Seiken Densetsu game, but is also technicalyl an actual Final Fantasy game, it's more of a Zelda clone than a traditional RPG though

Legend of the Crystals is a 90's OVA that takes place some thousand years after FFV or something

Advent Children is a movie that's a direct sequel to FFVII

Revenent Wings is a sequel to FFXII and is a sort of RTS-ish RPG

FFTA-2 also directly sequels FFXII, sorta

Tactics, FFXII, Tactics Advance, Tactics Advance 2 and Revenent Wings take place in the same universe, I think Matsuno was involved in most of these and they carry his style (Ogre Battle Series)

Four Heroes of Light is a DS game that's a throwback to the NES games. People who love the NES games love it, everyone else hates it.

Bravel Default started development as 4HoL-2 but got changed midway. It's still pretty obviously a FF game though.

Mystic Quest is a bad but kind of charming BABY'S FIRST JRPG made for western audiences.

That's all the other Final Fantasy media I can think of off the top of my head. Other than Chobobo's Dungeon/Racing and stuff.
>>
>>316844882

Forgot Bahamut Lagoon, it's a SRPG for the SNES never released over here. You control human units directly and give general orders to your dragon partners.
>>
>>316845187

Jesus Christ I forgot Theaterhythm

Two great Rhythm games for the 3DS featuring Final Fantasy Music and parties with unique abilities and stuff

Just get the second one, and only if you end up loving the series.
>>
>>316842419
Yes
>>
What are the mobile games like?
Like, Record Keeper and Mobius, are they just the standard gacha games with ff characters or is there anything more to them?
>>
>>316839968
Thanks for reminding me I wanted to replay FF1.
>>
>>316839735
FF1 - PSP
FF2 - PSP/GBA
FF3 - PSP/DS
FF4 - PSP
FF5 - GBA
FF6 - PS1 but this one's really up to opinion
FF7- PC
FF8 - PS1
FF9 - PS1
FF10 - PS4
FF11 - PC
FF12 - PS2 for now.
FF13 - PS3
FF14 - Doesn't really matter but I guess PC
>>
>>316843272
>playing games on an autistic nintendo/sony dedicated gaming device instead of a normal smartphone like everyone has

*tips fedora*

*unsheathes katana*
>>
>>316843297
The mobile version is the DS version with better resolution and framerate.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>316847432
>FF4 - PSP

Whoops
>>
>I - GBA (PSP graphics look like ASS)
>II - PSP (DEFINITIVE version)
>III - Famicom holds up well enough to play fan translated. PSP/PC (Same version) if you want the upgrade with new story elements but worse gameplay.
>IV - GBA for definitive vanilla version, DS for an actually good game.
>V - GBA (Best localization of any FF game ever)
>VI - SNES or GBA with sound patch
>VII/VIII/IX - The first two have PC ports with small differences in accessibility that make them better, but are mostly the same as on PS1. IX is PS1 exclusively.
>X/X-2 - It really doesn't fucking matter, but PS2 emulated looks better than PS3 HD.
>XI - You're too late.
>XII - IZJS
>XIII Trilogy - Don't play it.
>>
>>316847640
>Comes with all 3 parts and GBA extra content
What's wrong with it?
>>
>>316847782
It's piss baby easy compared to DS version
>>
>>316847935
And we all know you play Final Fantasy for the extreme challenging gameplay right?
>>
>>316841458
Servers are still up, the SE store even has a sale on it, $10 for it and all the expansions
>>
>>316842831
Why play 10-2 but not 13-2 and 13-3?

Also do you just want to play all the main games or all the spinoffs? Because there's like 100 of them.

I'm interested to know why you're so keen to play through all of the final fantasy games when you seemingly know so little about the series.
>>
File: that shit isnt perfect.png (356 KB, 597x394) Image search: [Google]
that shit isnt perfect.png
356 KB, 597x394
>>316842831
>Playing The After Years.
>Skipping 4 DS despite being the best version.
>Playing 5 and 6 on PS1 despite being the worst versions.
How can one man be so fucking retarded?
>>
>>316848129
>>I'm interested to know why you're so keen to play through all of the final fantasy games when you seemingly know so little about the series.
Not him, but isn't that how you learn about a series? By playing them? OP is at least trying, which is more than I can say about most people here.
>>
>>316847782
The "second" part is exclusive to it and is shit.
The "third" part is also shit and started as a really bad mobile phone game.
PSP IV is pretty much the GBA version with higher resolution sprites. The problem is that the GBA version is based on the Wonderswan version, which is based on the original...which is the easiest goddamn roleplaying game ever made.

If you want authenticity and accuracy for 4, you're better off playing the original Super Famicom version fan-translated or the GBA version. If you want an actual good game, you have to play DS.
>>
>>316839735
>FF1: PS1
>FF2: PSP
>FF3: PSP
>FF3: PSP
>FF5: GBA
>FF6: GBA Patched if emulating, SNES on actual hardware
>FF7: PC
>FF8: PC
>FF9: PS1
>FF10: PS2
>FF12: PS2
>FF13: PC

The later versions of FF1 fucked with the magic system and the additional content isn't really noteworthy compared to games like FF2 or FFIV.
>>
>>316848356
Usually you'd learn something like "what is lightning returns?" by googling it. Most people also wouldn't arbitrarily decide to play like 15 games without even trying one first. Not that I have any problem with what Op is doing - I just think it's a bit unusual.
>>
>>316847542
with a horrible UI and fucking touchscreen

whereas emulating the DS version gives better resolution, framerate, models, textures, controls and everything else
>>
>>316841958
Thats not AU. WotG was the period of absolutely fucking nothing for months on end then getting either a couple nothing missions or some attempt at a new side content that they completely drop the ball on.
>>
>>316841074

it's solo friendly nowadays.

and once in a while it's free to play online. I think the game plus all expansions is like 10 bucks now.
>>
>>316841458

the starter areas are mostly empty and you'll do a lot of solo play. nobody groups up for anything anymore unless it's endgame stuff.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.