[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As it stands now, the games I've bought so far this year
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 10
File: 1464914917636.png (254 KB, 557x605) Image search: [Google]
1464914917636.png
254 KB, 557x605
As it stands now, the games I've bought so far this year is Stellaris, Dark Souls 3, Total Warhammer, and DOOM. And DOOM is my GOTY so far. That's impressive as hell for a FPS to be so god damn good.

DOOM Thread.
Trying to work my way up to Nightmare, right now doing Ultra Violence play through.
>>
>>340059419
>DOOM is my GOTY

Console gamepad player detected. How are you enjoying your dumbed down FPS experience faggot? How much is Bethesda paying you to praise their fucking uninspired shit campaign like so many "reviewers" shamelessly spouting the same exact PR formulas about it?

Stellaris is great though, and so is Dark Souls 3. Haven't tried Total Warhammer.
>>
>>340060936
This review says it all:

A pitiful excuse for a DOOM game and a game in general. First off let's talk about the gameplay, your character moves so slow compared to the original even when you "sprint" as they like to call it you move at a maximum of one mile per hour. This is especially bad on the PS4 and Xbone versions since they run at a max of 15fps. You may be saying "I played it bro seems pretty fast to me lmao I don't see the issue just turn your brain off lol". If you're one of those people you're missing the point entirely.
DOOM is know for it's fast paced and challenging gameplay which are 2 things this game lacks in a major way. You can beat the campaign in less than an hour if you're even halfway competent thanks to the incredibly OP chainsaw and its weapon drops. I'm on the edge of my seat just thinking about the tensionless "gameplay" in this "game". Did I mention the slapped together multiplayer mode yet? The less said about that the better yowzers. So due to all of that and the fact that when I returned this to gamestop I saw a line of people doing the same this is probably the end of DOOM and hopefully id Software aswell. I can't in good conscience give this more than a 0.
>>
>>340059419
i rented it from redbox for ps4, now i want to buy it on pc

any good discounts / cheap keys anyone knows of? i don't want to use shady shit like gmg though...
>>
>>340060936
Played it on PC faggot
>>
Doom was fun but its not that good, the ending alone should stop it from goty status
>>
>>340061046
GMG aint shady, it's where I buy all my games. It's probably the best place to buy keys.
>>
>>340061148
Why are people so pissed about the ending? It always feels like the people that are pissed about the ending are the same people who get mad that it has cutscenes to begin with and also forget that DOOM 1 had the cliffhanger as well.
>>
>>340061041

Oh nice a review of someone that didnt play the game...of course the faggotrons of /v/ will think its true
>>
I think it's a testament to how good D44M is that the /v/ contrarianism is just now setting in
>>
>>340061275
The two or three cutscenes were fine i just didnt like that robofag locking me away.
>>
>>340061275
Well doom 1 had the episodic releases.
NuDoom will aswell.
>>
>>340061640
>Well doom 1 had the episodic releases
No it didn't. Everything released all at once, with a expansion a few years later.
>>
>>340061276
Never in all my years of /v/ have I seen so many people that can't detect a fucking joke. This place is in such shitty shape.
>>
I think that DOOM 4 is a great game, and one of the best fps games in the last few years. My biggest complaint is that the multiplayer has custom loadouts, meaning there is not a lot to create conflict points on the map.
>>
Is Doom 4 a sequel to Doom 64?

Doom 64 ends with Doomguy wandering in hell slaying demonds forever, Doom 4 starts with Doomguy already in hell like he's been slaying demonds forever?
>>
>>340062439
Does it have replayability? Or should I just pirate for the single player campaign?

I don't give a fuck about the devs deserving it. Should I buy it from a practical standpoint?
>>
Yeah DOOM is pretty great.
I liked DaS 3 too.
While I prefer DOOM to DaS 3, people in here are unnecessarily harsh to it.
I think too many anons just played souls games too much in the last few years, whereas the last main doom game was 10 years ago.
>>
>>340062559
I like to think so.

The Mother Demon can be found in Olivia's office in a fetus / embryo form.
>>
>>340061046
>I want a cheap game but don't want to buy games where they're cheap
Idiot.
GMG is 100% safe. And g2a and kinguin have games for the cheapest generally and they're safe as well.
>>
File: 1424296557239.jpg (14 KB, 232x246) Image search: [Google]
1424296557239.jpg
14 KB, 232x246
>want me to buy a game with no demo
>my enjoyment of the game 100% hinges on them not relying on any modern gaming conventions

lol nope. I'd rather never EVER play it then buy it and be disappointed
>>
>>340062653
DOOM is mainstream. ds3 pretend not to be.
>>
>>340062619
Honestly I'm going to replay the game to try to find all the secrets, but if you don't think you'll want to do it then the campaign will only last about 10 hours. If you really don't think you'll play multiplayer or snapmap, go ahead and pirate it.
>>
The level design is absolutely fucking trash in this. Literally just running into arena bullshit. Not even custom made wads in 1 by 13 year olds were this bad.
>>
>>340061041 wew lad, you gave yourself away, you can't sprint.
>>
>>340062619
Has quite a bit of replayability in my opinion, so far I have around 55 hours in SP alone just beating it on different difficulties, and Ultra Nightmare really gives you something to strive for even though it's fucking hard as hell.

My Nightmare run after my Ultra Violence run was a lot more fun.
>>
>>340062619
I would say get it dirt cheap of pirate, as even the single only has three play throughs max, multi n snapmap feel slower so not worth touching
>>
>>340062312
The would be a nice joke if /v/ arent so full of people thar spell soo much bullshit and not being ironic about it

heck in the lass Doom thread i saw a retard saying the game is bad because he thinks Doomguy armor covering his arms is to make people thinking doomguy might be black...soo yeah thats how terrible this place is...
>>
>>340063775
>to make people thinking doomguy might be black.
But you see him naked right at the beginning of the game.
>>
>>340063136
The level design reminds me of the half-arsed "scenario" campaigns you get in some MP games, that are essentially bot matches with appropriated and perhaps slightly tweaked maps.

I don't know what the fuck they were thinking with the demonic presence bullshit.
>>
>>340063775
Youve just got a boner over those battfield one nigger cover threads dont bring that here doomguy is a normal guy
>>
This game is LITERALLY diluted shit:
- Repetitive
- Would be short if it wasn't so repetitive
- Bland weapons
- Meh graphics
- Slow predictable AI tuned to pander to gamepad babbys who can't aim for shit
- Soundtrack is all over the place
- Buggy as fuck
- Cashgrab excuse for multiplayer
- Cashgrab excuse for multiplayer DLC
- Boring campaign that makes no fucking sense
- Rapes (once again) a franchise in hopes of grabbing your cash once more and then shits all over it
- Performance problems with consoles
- Dumbed down PC graphics to pander to console gamers (again)
- Expensive as fuck (where did all that money go btw??)
- Bought reviews left and right (oh, that's where)

And I could go on literally forever, but you get the idea.
>>
I never thought I'd like a cutscene in a Doom game, but I did.
https://youtu.be/x_d54SejEHA?t=5m1s
>>
>>340064283
>- Cashgrab excuse for multiplayer
>- Cashgrab excuse for multiplayer DLC
Only thing you said that's true.
>>
>>340063775
Doom "guy" is actually a woman. It is time for the ladies to rule the gaming arena. Get over it crybabies.
>>
>>340061041
Has there ever been a more thinly-veiled "troll" attempt in the history of the internet?
>>
>>340062772
That Doom 64 final boss was honestly the most terrible final boss I've seen in a game. They take a game were projectile dodging is key and make it pretty much mandatory to use cover to avoid an exceeding strong projectile that will sometimes slip behind your cover and hit you. Most of the videos on youtube are just people using that really OP gun to stunlock her until she dies.

>>340062619
Just think of it like a good single player shooter. It's not exceedingly long but it's pretty good.

>>340061041
>all these people anal devastated that they new Doom isn't like OG Doom

Come on SON. The game has flaws but the combat is downright superior to old Doom. Enemies have diverse roles and actually have pretty varied movesets overall. The shooting is completely movement based so you can easily run n gun the entire game. The bosses were also surprisingly fun for bosses in an FPS game. You can't spam the chainsaw either considering it runs out of gas after 2 big enemies even with all the ammo upgrades. You can also pretty much ignore the glory kills, I did near the end game as just shooting an enemy dead when you're below 50 health causes them to drop noteworthy amounts of health. Glory kills above a set amount of health only reward you with like 5 to 10 health per kill anyways.

My biggest issue with the game is how few enemies there are outside of arenas and how easy the game is on UV. Beyond that it's a genuinely great shooter that people are only calling shit because it has the name Doom on it.
>>
>>340061041
I love this copypasta
>>
File: DOOMx64 2016-06-04 18-15-53-350.jpg (921 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
DOOMx64 2016-06-04 18-15-53-350.jpg
921 KB, 1920x1080
>>340059419
I'm enjoying quite a bit it so far. although it's bogged down by some changes, it doesn't impact the overall gameplay much especially with some runes equipped.
original dooms were better but seeing as how modern AAA FPS games have been recently it could have been a lot worse.
>>
>>340065569
>The bosses were also surprisingly fun for bosses in an FPS game
This. FPS bosses are notoriously shit or mediocre at best but Doom 4 did a really nice job with them.
>>
note to id
add more enemies
make them faster
>>
>>340064854
It's a user review off of metacritic. There's also another negative one with the guy stating how much he loved the atmospheric horror of Doom 3 and how he was disappointed the new game didn't have the same aesthetic.
>>
>>340065919
They almost reminded me of Metroid Prime bosses, they just weren't on that level though. It's because the game has a big focus on movement based shooting, so it's easier to make bosses around that. When you're forced to make a boss in a cover based shooter things can fuck up hard.
>>
>>340066392
I fucking loved CyberDemon boss fight. Easily best fight in the game, god damn.
>>
>>340063775
>thats how terrible this place is
It took you that long to figure that out?
>>
>>340059419
leak when exactly?
>>
>>340066003
They are already fast as fuck, faster than they were in the original
>>
>>340067356
already been cracked amigo. according to what's being thrown around.
>>
File: 379720_20160531180507_3.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
379720_20160531180507_3.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
bought d44m for 30 bucks, here is what bothers me

>never fight against big monster masses
>every room is just waves of monsters
>as long as you let one of the big guys live, no next wave spawns
>no ammo management required, just use chainsaw
>playing like shit and getting cornered by pinky? chainsaw
>weapon upgrades make weapons ridiculously strong, making the game even easier
>difficulty settings are ultra "cakewalk" violence and "lmao imp one hit kills" nightmare
>the first two difficulties are actual joke difficulties
>everyone says it's fast, but I can't even outrun pinkies and dodging their attacks with moving or jumping feels slow and sloppy
>you have to equip a rune to be able to fully control mid-air jumping

for the game getting actually fun, I had to restrict myself from using most weapon powerups (like manuel explosion on rocket launcher, plasma stun and bonus damage mods like the charged gauss shot) and never touch the chainsaw. I don't get why you can just use the chainsaw normally and has to be this gimmick instead.

also, snapmap, why the demon limitations? I refuse to believe that consoles can't handle more than 12 demons, this is some over-sensitive bullshit. I want a 30 demons room, or more, and bigger rooms. this is 2016, we already had titles like series sam in the meanwhile, showing everyone that it's possible to let the players fight a hundred 3d enemies, not just sprites.

a plus though is the optimization. steady 60fps on ultra with a rig that runs dark souls 3 with 40fps on max. makes we wonder even more about the demon limit per area.
>>
Even with its problems, Doom 4 ended up being 100 times better than I expected. Just wish they never tacked on the weapon/armor upgrade system. It felt like they made most of the game without it and then Bethesda told them to put together last minute. Don't know if it's GOTY, but it's definitely a good game.

expect the new pinky and cyberdemon designs what the fuck were they thinking?
>>
>>340068340
then just add more 10% more at least

In a DOOM game you have to have that feeling like it's always some demon behind you while you shoot the fuckers
>>
>>340069174
New Pinkies look great.
The original ones were the most retarded looking enemies in the game.
>>
>>340069174
>new pinky
>bad
What? They're one of the most faithful to the original design in the entire game.
>>
Hey guys, remember when the following were considered a sign of a game being dumbed down?

- Objective markers everywhere.
- Infinite ammo.
- Regenerating ammo (or grenades).
- Push a button to kill (and regenerates your health to boot).
- Health is handed to you instead of you needing to manage with what you find on the map (limited resources vs respawning resource).
- Enemy waves based progression.

I'm serious. Barely five years ago this would've caused an uproar in the gaming community. Now this game (which is just mediocre gameplay with a forgettable story and cool music) is being praised as the second coming of Christ (or the second coming of Doom).

What the hell guys?
>>
>>340068340
>They are already fast as fuck

yeah, let me list them

the fast
- the fast running imp AI (about 20-33% of imps)

the stop-and-go enemies
- the red pinky (but only if it's looking directly at you - but mostly, it just looks at a wall and waggles it tails for you)
>the grey pinky (same as red)
- the hellknight (but is sure to make many, many stops, swinging into air and crashlanding into the floor)
- baron of hell (but same as hellknight, stop and go AI)
- lost souls (never more than 6 per room, just to add this fact)
and theoretically summoner, but he basically never moves, just teleports

but on the other hand, the slow ones
>soldier
>shield soldier
>laser gun hell soldier
>zombie and 2 more differently designed zombies
>exploding zombie
>imp with stand still AI
>imp with climb somewhere up and stay there AI
>mancubus
>cyber mancubus
>cacodemon
>revenant

did I forget an enemy?

tl;dr a few imps are really fast, but most enemies are either only fast for a short time or slow as fuck
>>
strawpoll.me/10406226

strawpoll.me/10406226
>>
File: 1410459821283.jpg (36 KB, 500x283) Image search: [Google]
1410459821283.jpg
36 KB, 500x283
I hate the glory kill mechanic so much.
>>
>>340069845
>- Objective markers everywhere.
Can and should be turned off.
>- Infinite ammo.
Wrong.
>- Push a button to kill (and regenerates your health to boot).
Only finishes off low health enemies.
>- Health is handed to you instead of you needing to manage with what you find on the map (limited resources vs respawning resource).
Rewards aggressiveness instead of breaking pace searching for health packs.
>- Enemy waves based progression.
What's wrong withs this?

Fuck off faggot.
>>
>>340070339
do you hate fun
>>
>>340069845
because people are extremely desperate nowadays for anything even remotely close to a good fps experience that they're leaping on this "doom" despite all the horrific flaws it has, like all the shit you pointed out and more. You'll have no luck convincing anyone though, the aforementioned desperation for some kind of quality fps experience is blinding them all to the severe problems the game has.
>>
>>340070339
it would be fine if it wasn't a locked animation. enemies dropping a bit of health reminded me of painkiller. the entire gameplay really was like painkiller for me, that's why I enjoyed it.

but if you are looking for doom here, nah. it's like someone took a game and make a doom mod for it.
>>
>>340070339
You can literally complete half the game by mashing the F key lol

Console kiddies love this shit!
>>
>>340070514
You are a spoiled child. You don't know what actual gaming fun is.
>>
>>340070843
Blatantly wrong.
On nightmare, going for Glory Kills is in fact, usually not worth the risk, as even though you are invulnerable during the 1 second animation, you won't be invulnerable after it, and during that one second, the enemies have already sent a salvo of potentially life ending firepower at your direction, while you were busy fucking up a deamon.
>>
>>340070514
infinite ammo and one button kill is chainsaw. at least I think he meant that.

the chainsaw design is extremly tacked on, and you can't even use it normally. if you use the chainsaw, it's for one hit kills ONLY. very disappointing that you have to never use a weapon because it takes all challenge from the game. and that they pretty much made the weapon useless for every non-casual player.
>>
>>340071179
You don't get enough Chainsaw fuel to use it whenever you want. It is a clutch weapon for situations where you have ran out of ammo, so that instead of backtracking to find some ammo boxes on some corner of the map you passed 10 minutes ago, you can instead stock up by chewing trough a demon in close combat. It is brilliantly designed mechanic given the focus of the game, which is constant aggression, and being on the move.
Having to backtrack to find ammo would completely kill the flow of the game.
>>
File: HELL_GUARDS_1.png (594 KB, 732x841) Image search: [Google]
HELL_GUARDS_1.png
594 KB, 732x841
Can somebody please explain what the HELL is abomination supposed to be?
>>
>>340071805
It's a strawberry encased in armor
>>
What are people's opinions on the multiplayer? I think that it is shockingly different from the campaign, but it's actually decent as long as you accept that it isn't an arena shooter.
>>
>>340071006
Nice arguments you utter retard.
>>
File: PrimoScavenger.jpg (74 KB, 532x692) Image search: [Google]
PrimoScavenger.jpg
74 KB, 532x692
>>340071805
Someone at id really liked the concept of the Primordial Scavengers in Diablo 3.
>>
>>340071908
idk can you 1v1 and remove the demon powerup

I guess it doesn't really matter because of the stupid loadout system
>>
>>340070339
The game's easily beatable without using them.

>>340071006
>make a bunch of hyperbole points
>get upset when someone calls them wrong.

>>340071179
At its largest ammo pool the chainsaw can kill like 2 big enemies and ammo for it is somewhat scarce, you can't really just pull it out and M1 through combat. The way it works is fine, ammo pools are exceedingly small at the start of the game and it's easy to run out of ammo for multiple guns, it's pretty much there so you can use half your gas to chop down a big guy and get bullets for it.
>>
>>340070339
I'm glad you hate it.
I don't want you to be happy. Your opinion is shit and you're a shit person.
But you're not as shitty as catdog was a show.
>>
File: 1434154509116.jpg (106 KB, 532x664) Image search: [Google]
1434154509116.jpg
106 KB, 532x664
Snapmap is underrated.

If I listened to you faggots I'd have thought there was no potential there at all and not even looked at it.

I've spent over thirty hours on that shit so far.
>>
>>340068774
I think the idea between the glory kills and chainsaw is that you're meant to have to sustain yourself through the larger fights in terms of both weapons and health by knowing when to execute them and on what enemies.
>>
Getting DOOM tommorow, what difficulty should i start on for maximum FUN 1st time though? Im patient enough to play most FPS's on their hardest difficulty, and also have great reflexes, just dunno if there is bullshit systems that get highlighted in harder diffs.
>>
>>340074294
Ultra-Violence first
>>
File: 1322785662001.jpg (28 KB, 600x573) Image search: [Google]
1322785662001.jpg
28 KB, 600x573
>>340073325
>we want the minecraft audience
It's pretty entertaining, I agree.
>>
>>340074294
ultra violence
>>
>>340060936
>Console gamepad player detected.
PCfag here. It's the goddamn best FPS we had in ages. Also it's already hard to conceive how people play FPS with a pad, but Doom 2016 with a pad would be a nightmare.
>>
>>340061640
>Well doom 1 had the episodic releases.
Not really, though.
Episode 1 - 2 - 3 were released at the same time. There was however a shareware version that was just the Episode 1 as a demo that ended up in a cliffhanger.

Later Episode 4 was added as a expansion bonus, but that's it.
>>
I was honestly expecting you to break out of robomans trap with your pure strength then end the game with you just beating the shit out of him with your fists alone.
>>
>>340070339
>I hate the glory kill mechanic so much.
Turn the glowing of in the option and just roll like it. It never felt mandatory to me.
>>
>>340059419
>That's impressive as hell for a FPS to be so god damn good
>hell
omg he said it! he said it guys!
>>
>>340071179
>infinite ammo and one button kill is chainsaw.
Clearly not played the game, then. Chainsaw "ammo" (well fuel) aren't exactly commun and go down pretty fast. A handful of small demon or two big one.
>>
File: 1422923635606.gif (566 KB, 215x194) Image search: [Google]
1422923635606.gif
566 KB, 215x194
>>340075221
>Chainsawing a baron
felt good man
>>
>>340060936
Doom is up there with Shadow Warrior and Serious Sam 3 for best FPS franchise come-backs.
>>
yeah I really liked DaS3, X-Com 2, and Total War: Warhammer but I agree DOOM was my GOTY.
>>
>>340060936
DOOM is great and Stellaris is fucking incomplete on release like all Paradox games you faggot.
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.