[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the oldfags thoughts on the DOOM reboot?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 200
Thread images: 33
Do you think it's a worthy successor to the original games or is it just another forgetable modern shooter that tarnishes the name of a genre definer?
>>
>>339804748
it's shit and tarnishes the doom name worse than doom 3 did

MMO style bossfights (dodge this spiraling flame wave attack! dodge this missile volley with big glowing impact circles on the ground!), bosses that spew health and ammo when damaged even on higher difficulties, pathetically low amount of enemies compared to what doom sourceports allow, upgrading weapons is not DOOMlike at all, terrible hamfisted story based around argent energy and doomguy being some sort of powerful superbeing that hell doesn't know how to kill, poor soundtrack with wubstep noises, quad damage powerup which has no place in doom, and last but not least, the fucking melee executions that make you invulnerable while performing them, and cause enemies to spew many powerups when they die from one.

D44M sucks, I have ~12gb of Doom 1 and 2 WADs and I'll continue playing those instead.
>>
>>339804748
Started gaming in the mid 90s around the time Doom came out. I thought the reboot was pretty good compared to what it could have been.
>>
>>339804748

Short singleplayer and multiplayer sucks...

Kinda overpriced for what it offers in my opinion
>>
>>339804748
it's pretty damn mediocre and nothing like doom
they could have called it something else, but naming it doom sells more
>>
>>339804748
It's ok, whole package is a solid 6/10 but very forgettable, instead of leading the genre it's just falling in line with everything else which is a little disappointing
>>
>>339805219
This.
>>
Needs more enemies, Doomguy needs to be talkier, so you don't have to rely on popping demons for health and armor. It was a bit short, but it was fun at times, Could have used more work, and less 'over complicating' The boss battles were okay, I mean Basically all you did in doom was circle strafe, and that's what I did here.
At least they didn't turn it into a pachinko game.
>>
>>339804748
Oldfag here. The original DOOM was the first game I ever purchased for myself, in 1993. For a solid decade, playing wads was how I tested new hardware.

The new DOOM is fucking fantastic.
>>
Its great. Fast paced, amazing gunplay, tough as shit, and tons of enemies.

>>339805219
>>339806004
Oh look, shitposters arrived
>>
File: joker is disappoint.jpg (44 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
joker is disappoint.jpg
44 KB, 576x432
>>339806523
>legitimate criticism is shitposting
t. man without counterargument
>>
>>339805219
>that spew health and ammo when damaged even on higher difficulties

Explain to me how this is a bad thing.
>>
>>339804748
It's a great single player campaign that's fast, frantic, and is really fun to play through on high difficulty levels as things get intense. It feels more Quake-ish than Doom, but no shit, retards apparently seem to forget that DOOM doesn't operate in 3D and so it'd be pretty fucking hard to recreate the exact feel in a large, modern looking game.

Multiplayer and snapmap are technically fine but mechanically are forgettable and boring, so the campaign is really the only thing that's worth it. I would only pay about $40 for it (which is all I did pay thanks to G2A). If you want a fast, modern single-player shooter that's different than most other things out, play it. Codgers on Doom will hate it but that's because most here are autists that despise everything.
>>
>>339806662
managing your health and ammo in a level is part of strategy in doom, when any enemy can just refill your health and ammo, it completely fucks that portion of level design

easy response: it's casual
>>
>>339806668
*codgers of /v/, not Doom
>>
If I play it I'll let you know. I played doom when it first came out.
>>
>>339806662
It's not even true though. I don't know about the noob difficulties but on UV and NM glory kills only give you more than 5HP if your health is like below 40, otherwise you get one tiny little health vial worth 5HP
>>
>>339806004
>and nothing like doom

I can understand if you don't like it, but this is just flat wrong. Even with the Wubstep, it's way WAY the fuck more like Doom than anything made after 1999
>>
>>339806784
And 9 times out of ten on nightmare getting locked into a glorykill animation gets you instagibbed.
>>
>>339806632
Stupid nitpicking is not legitimate criticism.
>>
>>339806909
Yeah, exactly, a lot of my ultra-nightmare deaths are from going in for a meme kill when i have low health and getting killed just as the health pops out
>>
>>339806724
But surely, Doom is all about environmental puzzles and slaughtering demons, and anything that detracts from one or the other, including disengaging from enemies to look for health packs, is just generally bad game design, right?
Enemies spouting health packs both allows the enemies to be more intensive in their attacks, and encourages the player to be more aggressive, and in a game like DOOM, anything that gives those results can only be a good thing
>>
Been playing games since 89, loved Doom on release and I love this Doom as well. Yes ,it's been modernised to hell and back but look back far enough and no series that's lasted since those days is exactly what they used to be.
>>
OP here.

This was my first doom game i've played and i enjoyed it alot but haven't played the multiplayer or messed around with snapmap yet.
though this game made me intrested in the original doom and i'm wondering if i should play it vanilla or install some mods first.

i hear alot of people say i should install brutal doom but i want to hear some ideas of other mods that are good (if not better).
>>
>>339807184
No, No, NO to Brutal Doom. NO! Don't be a fucking meme.
>>
>>339807184
just fucking play it
>>
>>339804748
Grew up on OG Doom and I think the reboot is flawed but great.
>>
File: 1463840637883.jpg (459 KB, 807x1400) Image search: [Google]
1463840637883.jpg
459 KB, 807x1400
Yeah. it wears it's love for the original Dooms on it's sleeves. Nice and fast, surprisingly good story, I love how Doomguy doesn't and does have character at the same time thanks to his body behavior.
One of the most pleasantly surprising releases in recent memory. Shame the multiplayer and SnapMap are trash though.
>>
>>339807184
Original Doom all the way.

After you've played through 1 and 2 vanilla, then do whatever you want, but for the love of fuck, start with the basics
>>
>>339804748
It's a better Doom game than Doom 3.
>>
>>339806969

>I don't agree with it so it's stupid nitpicking

It's reverse mole mountaineering. Quad damage when the BFG exists? Yeah just a small annoyance in that this 5 minute locked room fight is a total waste of time, descending from the last locked room fight that was an okay experience.
>>
>>339807184
Get GZDoom, but just don't enable looking up and down like a stupid casual.
>>
>>339807657

>Leaving the auto-aim on
Just don't enable jumping, THAT would break the game.
>>
>>339807726
>not playing the game the way it was intended to be played

it's like you WANT to be a typical nu-doom fan
>>
File: darkarena.jpg (25 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
darkarena.jpg
25 KB, 450x300
ITT: Nobody knows about Dark Arena

Play a real spiritual sequel scrubs
>>
>>339807726
>not playing the game the way it was intended to be played

No, fuck off. The game was not designed with vertical looking in mind and should not be played that way.
>>
>>339807018
But I liked the fact that you sometimes need to be careful
>>
>>339807835

It changes literally nothing but put more demand on actually aiming.
Unless you play DOSBox with no proper mouse support it's already not how it was "intended", but that comes with a ton of issues that only make the game worse than just using a source port out the box.
>>
>>339807832
>godawful sprites
>no floor or ceiling textures
>massive obnoxious hud
>>
>>339807856
You still do, though
>>
>>339807919

Also on the GBA and actually spooky.
Lighting was really good along with ambience and sound effects.
>>
>>339807968
Except now the game is actively pushing you to play aggressive
>>
>>339807978
Oh, well, for a GBA game, not bad tbqh senpai. I thought it's an early 90s pc game wolf 3d clone like blake stone
>>
>>339808017
You can play aggressively and be careful. Those aren't mutually exclusive concepts
>>
you cant reinvent the wheel
i will never get the same experience of being a little shitter playing doom with my elementary classmate shitting my pants

but its as close as it can get to that

i would have prefered if they keep it even more simple without upgrading guns and secret places that are shown on a map

its great
>>
>>339807906
>DOSBox
>no proper mouse support

I played the original DOS version first and it actually supports mouse controls fine right out of the box.
>>
>>339808097
Yeah, now that you get healed every time you perform a melee executionâ„¢ you'd be a fool to not charge into melee range
>>
>>339808126

Yeah, strafe left and right on X axis and move forward/backward on Y. Great.
And no options to change that either.
>>
>>339808097

Playing careful means spamming BFG/SSG and getting killed by a Pinky with huge tracking while charging grazing you for 90 damage.
Playing aggressive means dodging attacks like that by double tapping F on a zombie.
>>
>>339808314
So you don't actually know anything about the game. Alright then.
>>
>>339808319
It's steer left and right on X axis actually. You can also rebind movement and strafe to WASD and it plays just like a modern FPS, nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>339804748
New Doom is nothing like the originals, but it's certainly better than Doom 3. That game was and is a disgrace. I hate it as a game, and I hate it even more as a Doom game.
>>
File: tumblr_nn4t3jNT0U1ro5y21o3_250.gif (1 MB, 250x287) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nn4t3jNT0U1ro5y21o3_250.gif
1 MB, 250x287
i played doom when i was 9. it got me into videogames. one of the true classics.

new doom is fun. very fun. multiplayer sucks a bit of cock but the single player is pretty damn good. so nice to have an fps all about twitch shooting action instead of hiding behind cover and waiting and being fucking boring as shit.

good job, overall. i like it. most enjoyable single player fps in a LONG time
>>
>>339808603

But it's SHIT how snapmap is based on the multiplayer engine, ffs.

Also 12 enemies lel seriously god damn Bethesda, they're not even that intelligent compared to old Doom
>>
File: Map14.jpg (737 KB, 2560x1080) Image search: [Google]
Map14.jpg
737 KB, 2560x1080
Snapmap has potential. I've put ridiculous hours into Snapmap alone.

It's limited and deserving of criticism but people should write it off entirely. I hope they follow through and keep putting stuff in there.

Also, my maps:

8JDB2WL2
29ZW58TD
>>
File: 1362730303934.png (41 KB, 495x495) Image search: [Google]
1362730303934.png
41 KB, 495x495
>>339808698

should not*

And, its time for bed.
>>
>>339808492
>New Doom is nothing like the originals
There you fucking go again!

Oh yeah, with it's open-ended level design, key based progression, fast movement speed, emphasis on hoard control and an utter lack of reloading, it really is absolutely nothing like the originals!
>>
File: 1462557694534.jpg (310 KB, 1200x1188) Image search: [Google]
1462557694534.jpg
310 KB, 1200x1188
>>339808691
oh, i hear you, dude. snapmap having ctf be max 4 player is fucking retarded. and where is the fucking ffa in deathmatch? that should be, like, the number one thing.

still, i stand by what i said: haven't enjoyed a single player fps this much in a long, long time. just running and gunning, throwing my mouse around the screen looking for new enemies. it's cool. everything these days is a slow, plodding, "realistic," piece of boring trash.

also, the game is pretty well optimized. im running a 980 with everything set to ultra, and im hitting around 100 fps constantly. not bad.

but yeah, multiplayer isn't great
>>
File: doom shotgun.jpg (28 KB, 450x248) Image search: [Google]
doom shotgun.jpg
28 KB, 450x248
>>339806363
>doomguy needs to be talkier

No. BJ Blazkowitz and Duke Nukem can talk all they want but I will accept no speech from DOOMguy but wallhumping bumps, pain and death grunts and insane devotion to this particular shotgun
>>
>>339804748
Like other anons said, start with OG Doom and Doom 2, then try this new good one out from there. See how it compares. Make some thoughts.

Back in the day it was a pain in the ass to find friends with connections to deathmatch on Doom and Doom 2. I had one pal with multiple towers prior to college where we could do it LAN.

So the multiplayer is whatever because most of us were gunning it in single player back in the day.

This franchise minted FPS genre.

If I didn't have so much othershit to do as well as a backlog of games, I'd be playing the new Doom right now.
>>
File: 1414505570114.png (250 KB, 600x473) Image search: [Google]
1414505570114.png
250 KB, 600x473
>>339804748

Even though it ain't perfect it's probably the closest that we'll get to a new ultimate doom.
I've also played the shadow warrior reboot and it strays way more from the source material than this game. In fact they did basically everything different and I still can respect it cause it's a good game. D44M on the other hand tries super hard to be classic Doom while the publishers hold it back with obligatory weapon upgrades, tacked on shitty halo multiplayer and a gimped level editor amongst other things.
That said I really love the singelplayer even with all the tacked on bullshit. Only wish the music was less djent industrial bullshit and instead went back to the good old thrash metal midis of yore.
I also love doom 3 for what it is so my oppinion literally and figuratively sucks cocks
>>
>>339809139
doom 3 was cool
>>
>>339808920
>open-ended level design
You mean short linear corridors connecting all those arena shootouts the game is filled with?

>key based progression
Levels like this were very few and each level was limited to only 2 keys.
>>
>>339808920
Doom isn't as fast as people want to believe. Most of the doom wads and source ports made it fast, the originals are not that fast. Doom 4 is hardly as open space or open ended as some of the Doom 1/2 levels. But even then, those levels were spacious to compensate for enemy numbers. Nearly every Doom 4 fight is either a fight in a confined arena, where you should kill spawning enemies in a limited space, or very isolated fights against limited number of enemies. In original Dooms there were levels where you had to fight hoards of enemies almost non stop, unless you purposelessly stop, but new Doom allows plenty of breathing between each fight.
>>
It's an actual DOOM game and not a horror game like 3
>>
>>339809193
>doom 3 was cool

As a Doom game, it was bad. As an FPS, it wasn't terrible but still not anything groundbreaking.
>>
It's definitely more than just a generic shooter.
It has a better feel than Doom 3 and what I played of Doom 64. It doesn't come close to the originals, but it's better than the other attempts to remake them.
>>
Soo.... If D44M is shite in /V/'s opinion, then how was Wolfenstein TNO for all you?
>>
>>339809331
nah fuck you, it was cool
>>
i played doom with the keyboard on a real DOS machine back when it came out

i hate this game. it is not doom. it is halo.
>>
I'd say its a great reboot of the series. The multiplayer and snapmap are garbage, but the single player was fantastic.

Here's hoping they drop the multiplayer and instead release some new campaign chapters and better mod tools.
>>
>>339809424
no it isn't
>>
>>339809360
Mediocre overrated shooter, but I like the aesthetics. I also think you're baiting me and already have an answer to my post.
>>
>>339809093
I think he meant tankier
>>
>>339809227
>>339809303
Yeah alright, all valid points (though I do think "Short linear corridors" is a bit exagerated)

Still though, if you were to make a scale, where Call of Duty is a 1 and 93 Doom is a 10, DOOM is still a solid 8.5 to 9. It's seriously, way, WAY the fuck more like Doom than anything released since, like, 2003.

Unless you count Duke Nukem Forever, in which case, it's more like Doom than anything released since 2003, that doesn't outright suck.
>>
>>339804748
Heavily flawed but fin nonetheless. Objectively a 6/10 game, but I personally would give it a 7/10.
>>
>>339809424
Doom 4 plays absolutely nothing like halo.
>>
>>339804748
Very mixed opinions. I think I'll only ever be happy with DooM but in HD.
>>
>>339808314
>t. Didn't play the game
>>
>>339809424
>memeing on what you saw from the multiplayer beta
>>
It's good. Captures the feel of the original Doom well enough. Doesn't compare to modded Doom, though. And no mod support - that is a crime.
>>
>>339805219
>doomguy being some sort of powerful superbeing that hell doesn't know how to kill
That makes sense though, in-lore the Doomguy from 1-3 are the same person so you can assume that this is the same person too, the man ripped and teared his way through Hell 3 fucking times and is currently attempting a 4th, of course he's feared.
>>
>>339808314
Glory kills suck on higher difficulties.
>>
>>339804748
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euLLcwmNKJI

It's funny you see a lot of old people return to play the game after years of quitting games.
>>
>>339809303
Valid point on new dooms pacing, I personally wish there was a little less down time between fights.
>>
>>339804748
Oldfag here, Doom is the reason I pushed my parents to buy pc when I was 10yo... Doom2 and its wads is probably the game I spent more time on in my life.

The new Doom is pretty good, much much better than Doom 3.
Could have look better (wall textures are okayish even on Ultra), iD was usually delivering cutting edge gfx back in the day, and the MP is mediocre, but the SP is solid.
Not a mandatory purchase for 60 euro, but an instabuy with a discount
>>
>>339807253
There is nothing wrong with Brutal Doom, just don't play it INSTEAD of the original Doom
>>
File: DOOMx64 2016-06-03 16-38-14-64.jpg (167 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
DOOMx64 2016-06-03 16-38-14-64.jpg
167 KB, 1920x1080
As someone who has beaten the campaign about twice now

+Gets into the action within a minute
+The combat feels really good, it's quick and the controls are very responsive
+The game does a good job of easing you in to new weapons and enemies
+The majority of the weapons are good to use
+I found the bosses to be enjoyable, easy but fun to fight
+Glory kills seem to work well despite my initial thoughts about them
+The game performs really well on PC and both consoles
+Runes give you some room to change up your combat style a little

-Unskippable story events. I think there's about 6 of these which are about two minutes long. There's also a lot of short ones which are just the Doomguy opening doors or breaking stuff
-On the point above there you have to also stop every time you collect an armor upgrade, weapon or collectible, fortunately this only happens on the first playthrough
-Last few levels don't add anything and are extremely linear. The arena style of the game completely takes over
-Imps seem to be one of the most dangerous enemies in the game, every other enemy particularly the bullet sponge mancubus have very slow projectiles which seems like a major design flaw
-Having to upgrade your armor, statistics and weapons through various challenges and collecting is a bit annoying
-The music is average
-The blaster is complete garbage
-Haven't played much multiplayer but it was slow and boring and had a weapon limit

Overall it was a good game but there's room for improvement. The arena system just becomes too obvious and a bit irritating in the last couple of levels.
>>
I was at the first gameplay footage shown to the private quakecon audience. Been hyped for this game for a long time. It did not disappoint.

Probably the best single player game ive played in over 10 years. It never got old, and by the end I was raping every demon that came at me. Could be a bit longer, I hope to see an expansion pack.

Very fun. 10/10 SP, will play again once vulkan api is released.
>>
>>339811121
>The music is average
They actually put metal in a Doom game. It was recorded with a real guitar and metal drum beats, not just some guy pushing buttons in a program.

I was super impressed with the music. Sounded fucking sexual out of the HD650. They put a lot of effort into the music, more so than the overall sound design I will say.
>>
>>339804748
it's alright i guess, better than i thought it would be.

i don't care for how the enemies/weapons are balanced when compared to classic doom and while the early levels have decent exploration the later ones are mostly linear with lots of monster arenas.
>>
>>339812087
>Sounded fucking sexual out of the HD650.

That's because they color the sound, I however listen to the pure audio-sphere on my neutral AKG K702 and can objectively discern that the music is of lackluster quality.
>>
>>339810353
This review is so incredible

It sounds like fuckin poetry

I think more people should do videogame reviews in the medium of spoken word poetry
>>
It's Doom, too many nostaljizz fags itt.
Doom is about running around fast paced shooting with no real story and not taking itself seriously. Doom 3 Was way to serious,dark and slow paced. Id seems to be the only ones who can make fun single player fps these days (new wolfenstein was good too)

Also doom/wolfenstein dated Horribly seriously i find zero fun in it anymore. Doom 4 is objectively better in every way and if you hadn't spent the last 20 years telling yourseld how great the orignal one was, you'd realise this.
>>
File: Xu Pinghui.jpg (19 KB, 207x213) Image search: [Google]
Xu Pinghui.jpg
19 KB, 207x213
>>339812415
>enjoys AKG
>>
>>339812646
He's a philosopher who never does game reviews. He's just reviewing doom because he's played it after years of quitting games.
>>
>>339812764
I know.
>>
>>339812656
id didn't make the recent Wolfenstieins. That was Machine Games, previously the guys who did the Riddick and Darkness games.
>>
they used such simple mechanics with little to no invention, so that despite the graphical progression afforded by hardware advancement since original doom and the great tech it runs on, making it looks great with great animations etc.
they failed to reproduce the hellish gameplay, hellish level design, and the art whilst high quality, the orignal's use of hand made clay models for enemies and photos of consumer grade weapons successfully created the atmosphere of the army of darkness, there was visual contrast between the player, the world and the demonspawn, whereas this doom is homogeneous in its art style, and that homogeneity seeps into the level design, etc. it's a well made, big, bland game.
>>
>>339812861
Well I'll be damned,new order plays a lot like doom 4 though..
>>
what changes would you like to see to the weapons? since i'm autistic i would like to remove alternate fire modes and upgrades.

also:
- disable weapon cooldown cancellation
- blaster: remove spread, increase rate of fire
- shotgun: increase range
- ssg: shots go through enemies right from the start
- mg: make it more accurate
- chain: make it behave like its q2 counterpart
- plasma: increase damage, knockpack
- rocket: increase damage, knockback, spread
- gauss cannon: hold down m1 to siege mode, can still run, can cancel it by switching weapon
- make off-hand weapons have individual cooldown / ammo
- add off-hand stun grenade (from plasma alt fire)
>>
>>339806969
Hi Dobson.
>>
>>339805219
>poor soundtrack with wubstep noises

Objectivally wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6BbvCC0VI0
>>
File: 1311419547972.png (138 KB, 613x2498) Image search: [Google]
1311419547972.png
138 KB, 613x2498
>What are the oldfags thoughts on the DOOM reboot?
i got tried of arguing about it irl
long as casuals can kill things without effort, they'll think its great. its skyrim all over again.
>>
>>339805219
>it's shit and tarnishes the doom name worse than doom 3 did

You are utterly retarded if you truly think that
>>
>>339813936
>as long as causals can kill things without effort
Should show them the orignal then, they'll have a blast
>>
>>339813936
New Doom is harder than Doom 1 and 2 though.
>>
>>339812764
E D G Y
D
G
Y
>>
>>339811121
>-The music is average
I'm not sure what musical taste you have, but it is probably shit. The music in Doom 4 is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6BbvCC0VI0&list=PLJAC-lVi9SnDI4-V4EEOfL9J1ruUJHOPg&index=34

All your other points are 10/10 though.
>>
>>339814887
>opinions don't exist
mealfags
>>
File: low quality bait.jpg (18 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
low quality bait.jpg
18 KB, 600x600
>>339812656
>>
>>339815067
You know it is possible to be subjective about things and appreciate the work of others even if you don't like the style.

Instead you went with being autistic. Well done.
>>
>>339815360
You're the one implying music taste can be good or bad, retard.
>>
I really like the new one, the single player reminds me of the original Doom crossed with Quake II, the fast paced multiplayer reminds me of the original Doom deathmatch crossed with Quake III. This is a perfect sucessor and the game Doom III should have been, the map editor is just the cherry on the cake.
>>
>>339815579
There are such things as bad personalities, which is a reflection of music taste. So yeah, someone with a shit personality probably can't be subjective and appreciate the work of others without hating on it.
>>
>>339804748
Im old and I love it. People just want to hate it, me too but oh boy, it is fun like the old games we use to play back in the day.
>>
>>339815952
>hating on it
>"The music is average"
>>
File: 1220227799009.jpg (1 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
1220227799009.jpg
1 MB, 1440x900
>>339804748
The problem is that anyone can say they are a doom oldfag because EVERYONE who lived through the 90's played doom at some point.
So even the most casual type of player can suddenly say his opinion matters when it comes to comparing to doom 4.
>>
>>339804748
It's crap.

Seriously overhyped, nothing like the originals. "Return to roots", my ass!
Apparently too many morons have let their brains be melted by the games of Cowadooteh generation, and now anything without regen health is considered A++ and "refreshing".

This crap is literally a "Brutal PainKiller RPG".
Plus, no mod SDK = dead game in couple years.
>>
>>339804748
By itself, its a good game. But It feels too much like Painkiller than Doom. It for the most part lacks the exploration aspect of the originals. Even the so called secrets don't require much exploration. And it LOVES locking you into rooms full of monsters that need to be killed in order to proceed, something the originals very rarely if ever did.
>>
>>339806363
>Needs more enemies, Doomguy needs to be talkier, so you don't have to rely on popping demons for health and armor.

I don't understand this. Someone explain.
>>
>>339804748
Big fan of the original games and found the new one to be really fun. If you like doom and not a typical /v/ "I hate everything" poster you should enjoy it a lot.
>>
>>339819229
I love original Doom and many of its old "clones" (Douk, Blood...), and many more "modern" shooters on boot (STALKER, Killing Floor...), but D44M just does nothing for me.

To me, it seems like the devs were uncomfortable going all the way through with what they were trying to achieve: a "real" oldschool experience, on modern hardware. The result is this schizophrenic product that suffers of an identity crisis; it's like some totally different game wearing a Doom(-like) skin. It's hard to put into words, but it just does not feel or even look like Doom.

Things like the tacked on "obligatory" upgrade trees and shit also annoy me to no end, and partially add to what I mentioned earlier.
>>
>>339805219
it looks so fucking good (thats all i know, didnt play)
>>
>>339805219
This!

Fuck the shills and kids with no argument, D4 is from ass everything mentioned in this post (+ shit like crappy MP and total joke of a map editor) are the reasons why.
>>
>>339805219
/thread
>>
>>339806860
>it's way WAY the fuck more like Doom than anything made after 1999
Serious Sam 3 exists, and was more Doom and #3 and #4 combined.
>>
pbbbbt
>>
How much harder is nightmare than ultraviolence?
>>
Reboot was great really. It really brings a lot of excitement to see an old friend become a new friend
>>
literally cod
>>
>>339823227
It's difficult at the start because imps can two shot you but as soon as you start getting health upgrades and extra speed it becomes pretty easy
>>
>>339824835
>sped up
>fov
>cinematic QTEs
>4 enemies
lol
>>
>>339804748
Turning 30 this month, fml, grew up with the Doom games my whole life.

Doom reboot was fun. No it's not as good as the originals but it's a decent game and I enjoyed it. It's easily the best single player FPS campaign I've played in years and it reminded me what campaigns were all about. I binged through the whole game in just two sessions (though I guess it was kinda short). On the negative side, the music was really fucking bad. That's the worst thing I can say about it. I also wasn't a fan of the Half-Life story moments where they keep you stranded for some boring exposition but thankfully those were far and few in between.

Definitely a good game. I haven't tried the MP.
>>
>>339824963
I know, it's shit
>>
>>339824968
*Btw that beginning part where they introduce the game with the Doom logo with the E1M1 music remix and Doctor Hayden saying they were working for mankind's interest is just about the best video game intro I've seen ever. So much fucking hype, short and sweet. I also really enjoyed its story for what its worth, even though I'd prefer it not having you stranded for those few times it hits you with exposition.

Also Hell was shit, unfortunately. I really liked the tech levels but hell itself was really cheesy and reminded me of the power rangers movie.

Overall still a very good game.
>>
Finally played about 2 hours of the PC version yesterday. Honestly, considering the leaked footage from that canceled Doom game, I think this turned out pretty well.

Sure, there are a few things that could be a bit better (Going faster, some of the weapons feel a bit weak, enemy design is not as great as original Doom or Doom 3, having actual mods ALA Doom 3 VS the stage creator, Multiplayer being a bit eh with no co-op). I do think however that id listened to customer complaints about Doom 3 and made it like a mash-up between Doom 1, Doom 3, and modern FPS games, and even left the option to turn off a lot of the newer shit.

I am having fun with it, although I find myself having to take breaks because it does get a bit repetitive since levels are a bit long at times.
>>
/v/ literally shits on every new FPS game so what am I supposed to play instead?

I've finished Timesplitters, NOLF, Painkiller, Serious Sam, Doom, Heretic, Shadow Warrior, Blood, Wolfenstein, Rise of the Triad, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, Half-Life, Black, Metro, Bulletstorm, Red Faction, Resistance, FEAR and Perfect Dark. What the fuck else is there?
>>
I dont understand where in the hell the crack is already.
>>
>>339825475
>DENUVO

Never fucking ever
>>
File: 1452631875575.jpg (65 KB, 450x599) Image search: [Google]
1452631875575.jpg
65 KB, 450x599
>>339825371
>I only play games the hivemind tells me to play.
>>
File: 1433663522761.png (82 KB, 432x486) Image search: [Google]
1433663522761.png
82 KB, 432x486
Q. What are the oldfags thoughts on the DOOM reboot?

A. Who? Oh, everyone has already forgotten about that game already. I hope you felt special for long enough after dropping that 60. But like any game this year, dropped, literally within a month like dark souls 3.
>>
I played doom around age 5 or 6('99 or '00) does that count?

I thought it was pretty good. Not as scary or creepy as Doom 1.

The monster sounds need improvement. ex: the baron of hell in doom 1 was scary as fuck because when you heard his roar you shit your pants. his roar in this doom I don't even recall.

I wish it had a few more Hell levels and hellish spooky tracks.

The boss fights were a bit too easy, but I liked that classic style they did with the fights, reminds me of my old games of my childhood.
>>
>>339809360

Contrary to what I've read it looks D44M has mixed score here in /v/, it's not consensual like other hyped games before...
>>
>>339825887
to continue, I also paid only $45 for it. IMO it definitely IS NOT worth $60. Reason being while the SP is really great it is a tad short. MP is kinda plain.
>>
>>339825784
this

everyone gets on the dick when it's hard

who the FUCK is talking about doom now? or even dark souls 3?

fucking nobody. It's a laugh.

I have a mate on steam who always tries to make me feel bad when i dont cuckbuy a new game (doom. fallout4, mgs5, etc). Haven't bought any of them and he isn't playing any of them to this day. Still playing CSGO and League.
>>
>>339825692
I have to because everything I play is apparently shit
>>
>>339825586
lazy ass pessimist weakling FUDder
>>
I feel like it's a step in the right direction. They can go further with it.
>>
>>339826154
How is it a laugh? Overwatch is the latest game so naturally everyone is talking about it

Even MGSV the most viralled game is /v/s history was forgotten within a month
>>
File: 1378136300761.jpg (109 KB, 406x364) Image search: [Google]
1378136300761.jpg
109 KB, 406x364
>>339804748
59.99 AMERICAN DOLLARS
>>
>>339826154
Sort of agree, except for one game which is GTA V. I kinda missed out not playing with my PCucks. There's a sale atm but i think i missed the boat.
>>
File: 1368198567457.gif (3 MB, 390x293) Image search: [Google]
1368198567457.gif
3 MB, 390x293
>>339805219
>upgrading weapons is not DOOMlike at all

DOOM invented situation appropriate/specialized weapons. Further specialization is a perfectly natural evolution.
>>
File: doomguy_0.jpg (140 KB, 1024x670) Image search: [Google]
doomguy_0.jpg
140 KB, 1024x670
>>339805219
>doomguy being some sort of powerful superbeing that hell doesn't know how to kill

Other than that you're right. It was kinda fun though
>>
>>339826154
Everyone moved to /vg/
>>
>>339825692
>play games /v/ have hard-ons for months
>they are shit not even worth finishing
its not even a "this isn't the kind of game i enjoy"
its the level of "its so fucking retarded bullshit filled with bugs and (if rpg) retarded choices , how did this even got released?
>>
>>339826640
That picture is inaccurate. Doomguy's SR50 speed is about 35mph, assuming a foot=16 map units.

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1586811
>>
>>339804748
Depends on what you're into really. I got Doom when I was 12 (god bless the 90s and my parents not being scared of violence) and really enjoyed the SP. The MP was alright but other than a few wads I didn't play it much.

Played 2, Final, and 3. Never even heard of Brutal Doom until like 5 months ago.

Played the beta for Doom 2016 and really liked it. The speed felt just right for a modern Doom. It was never about being fast and ripping through rooms at high speed. The speed running YT kids came up with that.

So when I got the game it did as I expected. SP was great and mostly felt right. Bosses were way too gamey for my tastes but eh whatever. Always hated metal and the midi stuff in 1 and 2 mostly was actually very subdued and soft so I turned that shit off. But the gameplay is godly and feels exactly right to me. MP got dull fast but it always does for me, even moreso than 20 some years ago.

Honestly I don't get the debate. If you like it, awesome. If you don't, why the fuck are you mad that I do? I bought it, not you. Same goes for pretty much every game. I get feeling ripped off or piling on obvious flaws but way too many people take it way too far.
>>
File: 1455845788453.jpg (19 KB, 432x339) Image search: [Google]
1455845788453.jpg
19 KB, 432x339
>tfw you're old enough to remember shareware
>>
>>339805219
>doom 1 and 2
>hold w and shoot to win
>doom 4
>hold w and shoot to win

I don't see the problem
>>
File: 1463669833433.png (42 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
1463669833433.png
42 KB, 500x501
>>339828525
>Bosses were way too gamey
>>
File: topic maker.webm (3 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
topic maker.webm
3 MB, 854x480
>Full of "cinematic" shit, that only disturbs the flow of the gameplay.
>guns suck, unless you upgrade
>barely can hold any ammo, unless you level-up
>Checkpoints.
>maps are linear pipes connecting obligatory combat arenas you get locked into.
>platforming sections.
>you get around half-a dozen enemies on screen at once, at best.
>every enemy is a literal loot Pinata, totally eliminating the point of exploring for supplies.
>rune challenges are just annoying filler.
>everything glows.
>some fucking robo guy literally handholds you through the game, via radio.
>the only good difficulties are locked until you beat the game
>no mods, and the Snapmap is literally just all about connecting handful of pre-made rooms together, with strict enemy limit.
>only 4 players max in Snapmaps.
>MP is Gaylo-tier shit.
>Spider is the last boss, and is not hitscan anymore either.
>bosses have HP bars
>ending was literally a slap to face + "lol, look forward to teh sequel, goy!"
>>
File: 1433103665355.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1433103665355.gif
2 MB, 480x270
"Secrets are hard to find man"
Yeah maybe is you're some blind faggot. I bet if you open your dick sucking eyes finding secrets are as hard as catching an STD from a $2 whore.
>play the first level, only find 1 out of 3 secret
Well that's the first level, I'll have a better idea when I get to the second level
>only find 2 secrets out of 6, 1 upgrade pack, 1 doom guy doll
I.... but...... oh god.... No one told me this game would both create OCD and then trigger it so fucking severely. I'm thinking about restarting before I get any further and REALLY look... and even then I'm probably not going to find a god damn thing.
>>
the omly thing doom 4 did wrong was making glory kills as jarring as possible
i can sort of understand wanting resources to be tied to killing enemies and stuff, but having the music stop and a shitton of DOF come in whenever you bitch slap someone to death is just awful
oh and snapmaps are terrible and apparently only let people use premade hallways
>>
>>339825475
>>339825586
It's impossible to play ;_;
>>
File: 1459332316075.png (422 KB, 1370x830) Image search: [Google]
1459332316075.png
422 KB, 1370x830
>>339805219

Take off your rose tinted glasses fucko. I've been playing DOOM wads nonstop since as far as I can remember. Grezzo, Moon, TnT, Plutonia, I'd sit home and just go ham for hours nonstop playing this same game and it's near infinite amount of mods and wads available from the community.

The singleplayer is a goddamn breath of fresh air. You can even -play- the majority of DOOM I and II in the classic maps with the new enemies in place and everything is exactly the fucking same. No weapon upgrades, no RPG leveling, just bare bones DOOM. And I'll tell you something.

After beating the original games into the dirt and this new variation giving me a good chunk of challenge on only fucking ultra-violence, this is a worthy successor to the DOOM franchise. Secrets abound, plenty of satisfying moments in the game itself and do not even get me started on the level design. The occasional roam around open world is pretty boss, but when shit hits the fan, I haven't seen arena-esque level design like this since fucking quake.

The multiplayer is quazi-hamfisted and my only main gripe is the ending being one of those BUY THE DLC TO FIND OUT WHAT REALLY HAPPENS kind of episode.

The health mechanic from glory kills is a welcomed addition. Especially the way it's implimented. Lower your health, higher the HP you get back from a glory kill. Gonna hide like a CoD faggot and try to sneak some health packs or are you going to nut the fuck up and punch, rip and tear your way through it? And I'll tell you why it's necessary for this game. On the higher difficulties (Nightmare, Ultra), they -only- drop 5 health on a glory kill, and I've yet to see ammo drop unless it's from a chainsaw kill. And on those difficulties a fireball and a fart from an imp will take you from full to dead.

I honestly couldn't give a toss if you posted a bait response, glory kills do jack shit on higher difficulties. It's a bethesda game, add your own OST if you want.
>>
>>339831160
>everything is exactly the fucking same
Spot the shill
>>
>>339831974
>I am the master of cherry-picking
>>
>>339830003
what are you even attempting to convey
>>
>>339830003

...?

>>339829651

If you're going to copypaste, tag the picture with it too.
>>
File: images.jpg (4 KB, 276x183) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4 KB, 276x183
>>339804748
It's okay. The changes are understandably there to pander the mainstream i.e. main sources of money, but there are enough classic FPS elements to get by. My main gripe is that these 'elements' are not something revolutionary, and those 'fun' I have with them is just me reliving the memory of playing old FPSes.

It really reminds me that I really have to move on with my obsession with games and get on with life, video games taken aside and see them as they're first conceived to be: electronic toys to have fun with. Nothing more nothing less.
>>
File: 1384767307560.jpg (97 KB, 811x680) Image search: [Google]
1384767307560.jpg
97 KB, 811x680
>>339831974

Shills post nothing but positive. I stated that the multiplayer was fucking garbage and wasted potential aside from playing co-op with some buds on some Garry's Mod 101 tier level.

And to be straight up honest, I didn't even purchase the game myself. It was a gift from a close friend of mine. I wasn't going to shell out money for a single player experience already knowing the multiplayer was garbage from the beta. I can't thank him enough though, the campaign is fun, bloody, full of controller throwing moments of frustration. Then again I did a starter shotgun only run because that gun is raifu for laifu.
>>
>>339804748
It's fun, but the over emphasis on melee is kind of a downer. Making the guns just tools to weaken enemies means weaker guns in general. When I'm playing Doom, I want to be able to kill the jobbers with two shotgun blasts from a mile away.
>>
>>339830003
So you're saying secrets are piss easy to find, but you can't find them?
>>
>>339818417
>dead game in couple years.

That's okay i'll be playing D44M 2 by then
>>
>>339804748
>ITT people who haven't played Vanilla Doom or heard of Djent or Industrial
I played Doom 1 and 2 a month before the release of this game and it is 9/10 GOTY but multiplayer is garbage. A singleplayer campaign hasn't been this good in over a decade.
>>
>>339833819
You should hope D55M happens pretty soon, it's not even breaking 10k players on Steam anymore.
>>
>>339834350
>Djent
That music is for djerks.
>>
>>339804748
Pretty great I think.
>>
>>339833319
>ever having wanted or thought about Doom for the multiplayer in the first place
>"I wasn't going to shell out money for a single player experience"
>>
>>339804748
It looks alright, and it's a refreshing change from the average modern AAA shooter. Not worth full price for me though, so I might get it later.
>>
It's le shit xD
Do I la fit in yet? xP
>>
>>339834350
This.
And fuck this guy:
>>339834563
>>
File: Nine Suspicious.png (47 KB, 434x510) Image search: [Google]
Nine Suspicious.png
47 KB, 434x510
>>339831160
>All of those relatively new wads to prove your authority.
Anyway I think we can all agree that 4 hour single player game isn't worth 60 american dollary doo's and any sane person will wait for the price to drop to something more reasonable. Like $20
>>
File: 1434210537926.jpg (22 KB, 600x361) Image search: [Google]
1434210537926.jpg
22 KB, 600x361
>>339835579
>4 hour single player game
At least try.

Besides that, you can easily beat the original Dooms in 4 hours or less.
>>
>>339826154
>Still playing CSGO and League.

Never thought I'd see someone so proud of being a retard.
>>
its honestly more of a painkiller game than a doom game
and it lacks co-op
>>
>>339835778
The original Doom has modding tools and doesn't cost $60+tip.
>>
File: one shilling.jpg (642 KB, 1727x1727) Image search: [Google]
one shilling.jpg
642 KB, 1727x1727
>>339835778
>4 hours of non-modifiable single player action!
>$60
wew
>>
File: Untitled.png (227 KB, 905x338) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
227 KB, 905x338
THIS GAME IS A FUCKING RIPOFF!!
>>
I'm 28, does that count to being an oldfag? Anyways I thought it was a really good game, but I don't think it can be categorized as a worthy successor to the original game or a forgettable shooter; more of a middle-ground? I played through campaign 3-4 times before making a daily ritual to play Ultra-Nightmare until I die and it's simply my personal way of enjoying my day. I initially did not like the MP whatsoever, but after giving it another chance it grew onto me mainly because I started playing against people who knew what the fuck they were doing: keeping timers on weapon/demon spawns, optimizing run-routes to get all the armor/health kits while fighting, etc.

Worth $60? Hell no, $40? Yeah probably, if you can get it at $30 though that's a good deal.
>>
>>339821068
You're retarded
>>
>>339834369
It's SP who cares?
>>
>>339837458
He's not wrong though
>>
>>339837781
Yes he is
>>
>>339837781
SS is nothing like Doom. SS doesn't have level design, enemy placement, or item placement.
>>
File: 1462481881687.jpg (121 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1462481881687.jpg
121 KB, 1920x1080
>>339837781
>3/4 of the game is Cawadoody level design with unearthly spawn count
>he's not wrong though
>>
>>339828273
>ignores all other facts and focuses on one thing that is wrong
>therefore the entire picture is inaccurate
>>
>>339837661
Nobody's playing it because the game's hot garbage and there's nothing to do once you beat the singleplayer.
>>
>>339838287
ok
Thread replies: 200
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.