[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Subnautica thread, post your exploration stories.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9
File: 1464495029635.gif (3 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
1464495029635.gif
3 MB, 320x180
Subnautica thread, post your exploration stories.
>>
>Start new game
>Crash
>>
File: 1405680510025.png (342 KB, 394x394) Image search: [Google]
1405680510025.png
342 KB, 394x394
>>339359637
>start up a new hardcore game
>take a day to farm materials to make a basic base
>swim around the early areas to unlock the seamoth
>use the seamoth to go to grand reef and get the monopool
>use the seamoth to head to mushroom forest and farm lithium to make base unbreakable
>use seamoth to unlock seamoth upgrade station
>upgrade seamoth with area shock and hull resistance
>go and repair the Aurora's drive core to stop radiation bullshit
>locate the final parts of the Cyclops in the floating underwater islands
>build the cyclops
>use cyclops to go to floater island
>unlock the water filtration and indoor/outdoor growbeds
>base is now solar-powered with infinite water and infinite food
>stop and wait till the next update

Every game. Devs seriously need to put in some reason to leave your base or actually explore once you're 6-7 hours in, because once you have growbeds and filtration, there is absolutely no reason to ever leave except to hunt for the few end-game areas and unlocks you no longer need.
>>
File: Sub.webm (3 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
Sub.webm
3 MB, 800x450
>>
File: Sub2.webm (3 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
Sub2.webm
3 MB, 800x450
>>
>>339359952
Barely even need water filtration after you have two Hanging Fruit Trees grown in your base. Even enough to power a Bio Reactor now at the same time so you have oxygen in the base.
>>
>>339360232
Yep. Difficulty is a real problem right now. Even on hardcore, for the hell of it, my current base has 2 scanner rooms I never even figured out how to use, 2 moonpools, 4 bio reactors, 4 nuclear reactors, 8 water filtration, a 5-room-tall aquarium, like 20 indoor growbeds with trees, vegetables, melons...

Nothing attacks your base, there's no reason to hunt in dangerous areas since insta-kill Leviathans are bullshit and all the necessary upgrades are in low/mid-tier zones, and the most dangerous thing right now is repairing the Aurora which isn't even necessary. Just makes it so you can wear normal suits and swim a bit faster in zones closer to the Aurora, and makes the Cyclops a bit more energy efficient. Woo-hoo.
>>
>doesn't even have procedural generation

honestly seems essential in a game like this
>>
>>339360702
That's why it's one of those one time play games anything after that just gets dull as fuck
>>
>>339360751
They're slowly getting there with these latest updates; moving blueprints to more dangerous areas, adding more 'things' you can/should get, making the wildlife more hostile, etc.

The main thing they desperately need now is something to interfere with your base and more base-damage mechanics, because right now the only way your base can be damaged is if you're a literal retard and weaken it yourself, and the flooding is wonky as fuck with not wanting to flood areas connected by ladders, randomly being stopped by open doors, etc.

They need to force you out of your base somehow from time to time, otherwise there's no point.
>>
I've finally found the Inactive Lava Zone and apparently there's a fuckhuge structure in the middle of it? I couldn't see well because literally everything in it is huge
>>
>>339359637

Would you recommend this game over farsky? I've seen farsky in a bundle for like 2,50$ so i'm wondering, are those games even comparable?
>>
>>339360702
>honestly seems essential in a game like this
Actually, the fact that it's not procedurally generated is the game's biggest selling point. Yeah, the game will have considerably smaller replay value. As it stands now, it's a game for some 20-30 hours of content, then you ran out of things to do. Considering their road-map, I guess we can expect additional 10-15 hours worth of stuff coming in and that is it.
But then again, the stuff is good. It's much less another Minecraft-like, but rather an open world exploration game with fairly gated and tight progression and an actual story. Given the price, it seems like a pretty fair offering.
>>
>>339360950
>They need to force you out of your base somehow from time to time, otherwise there's no point.
"Creatures Attack" is quite literally the name of the final, most important update they have scheduled up, basing it entirely around active attacks of creatures on your bases. It's true they need to fix the flooding mechanics though, which no doubt is a pain in the ass to do.
>>
>>339360702
>>339360751

>has not even played the game

that's /v/ for ya, always has something to say even though they haven't even touched it.
>>
File: past the brink.jpg (93 KB, 731x654) Image search: [Google]
past the brink.jpg
93 KB, 731x654
been in early access for a very long time and it's definetely one of the early access titles along with the Forest that I am actually happy with. I got more than my moneys worth out of them both but I have to say that Subnautica is definetely taking the cake as to what it means to be a early access game, it's come a very long way and my play time each time an update is released increases by like 2-3 hours each time.

The last game that gave me this much hope was BRINK and that game is dead in the water
>>
>>339361070
That's the sea emperor prison. Apparently there's a bit of story going around that.
>>
>>339361653
Geez, Brink.
That was so hyped up and let down so quick.
>>
>>339360702
Well... you just ruined it for me.
>>
>>339359637
>singleplayer

Game is amazing, but it needs randomgen maps and multiplayer to be truly great.

Got about 11 hours out of it. Good fun.
>>
>>339361884
It's all because they want to have a story with the deep exploration. Imagine if the world generated so that the story trigger was inside a no-entrance cave?
>>
>>339361884
>>339361958
>wanting proc gen delivering an uninspired world instead of something where everything is designed
>wanting multiplayer to bog down and sap all the other features
This is why all the games like this inevitably fail.
>>
>>339360702
Have you ever played a game with procedural generation? The world is dull, the world is meaningless and the world is empty. Compare the world from a game like Spore to this one. Every reef has been placed where it is by a level designer, not a computer.
>>
File: 1463988434661.gif (1 MB, 291x260) Image search: [Google]
1463988434661.gif
1 MB, 291x260
>>339362048
>>339362115

It's hard to expect people that have not played the game to understand any of these things
>>
>>339362028
Make the algorithm better then.

>>339362048
>universe is uninspired and boring cause it wasn't made for me
>>
>>339361958
>but it needs randomgen maps and multiplayer to be truly great.
Again, it is precisely the non-randomized maps and lack of multiplayer of any sort that actually make it not fucking awful. But Jesus Christ there probably isn't anything more annoying than the multiplayer whiners of the Subnautica steam community.
>>
>>339362115
Have you ever played a game with good procedural generation?
>>
>>339362361
No matter how good, I don't want to have a 3km area of Stalker feeding grounds and a 20m area for one Reefback.
>>
>dumb fish bash their heads in attacking seamoth
>before the update made them respawn you'd slowly depopulate the ocean by snatching up small fish and cooking them alive

But the game isn't about killing though guys, there's no killing in survival, exploration or study :^)
>>
>>339362475
Make the algorithm better then.
>>
File: 1463930203253.jpg (28 KB, 480x352) Image search: [Google]
1463930203253.jpg
28 KB, 480x352
>>339362418
nice job making this post but failing to name some if it is apparently so easy
>>
>>339362619
You kind of sound like you were trying to get to a point but before you actually got there your brain shit itself and what was left behind was that post
>>
>>339362703
So its a no then.
>>
File: 1464246612319.jpg (32 KB, 557x612) Image search: [Google]
1464246612319.jpg
32 KB, 557x612
>>339362851
>it's a subjective question

nice posts! Got to love how you are contributing!
>>
>>339362763
You right there little fella? Need a hand? You see the game is apparently not about killing, despite all the killing you do. Get it?

There you go champ, watch that potty mouth around your mother now.
>>
>>339362361
>universe is uninspired and boring cause it wasn't made for me
The universe is quite boring indeed. Most of it is actually literally empty, and the things that take any room are mostly just desert landscapes or unvisitable gaseous blobs, not to mentions the great balls of fire. Sure, every few millions unremarkable planets you'd find something truly wonderful, and that's exactly procedural generation for you.
>>
File: 1464457657625.jpg (29 KB, 600x579) Image search: [Google]
1464457657625.jpg
29 KB, 600x579
>>339362913
>killing for sustenance is the same as killing something just because it's in your way

You right there little fella? Need a hand? You see the game is apparently not about killing, despite all the killing you do. Get it?

There you go champ, watch that potty mouth around your mother now.
>>
>>339362992
>killing all the biters and leeches with your seamoth isn't killing something just because it's in your way

You "no killing because the devs said so" drones are pretty slow aren't you?
>>
>>339362907
Irony.
>>
aren't the devs SJW?
>>
>>339362978
Wow, you sure sound like fun and inspired kind of guy, people must gravitate towards you like you're a black hole.
>>
>>339363340
But what if I could honestly say I didn't enjoy any procedually generated games?

Oh, wait a minute, you would have made the post saying what games were good if you actually knew any, at this rate you are literally just shit posting.

>>339363192
That is killing something because it gets in your way though.

being contrarian on the internet sure is fun huh /v/

:^)

maybe you should go back to playing overwatch
>>
>>339363595
>
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.