[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Evil Within
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7
File: 4-evil-within-cover-art.jpg (591 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
4-evil-within-cover-art.jpg
591 KB, 1920x1200
Am I missing something here?

I've tried to get into it twice now, and I always end up stopping at Chapter 3. I tried initially on Normal, then dropped it to Casual but I would hardly call this casual.

I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I'm sneaking around, getting stealth kills, got the agony crossbow and shotgun, then I need a "chainsaw" to break open the door, so obviously I need to kill the guy moaning with a chainsaw in the barn.

So I figure I'll just unload on him, since I've cleared the area of enemies. I throw a grenade, blast him with the shotgun while he's climbing up the ladder, shoot him with literally everything I have, 4 dudes bust in out of no where and then I get chainsaw'd to death.

I mean... I want to like it. But I literally cannot get past this part. This is the second time I'm going to drop it. I mean I'm not bad at games. I've done Resident Evil 4 Pro with handgun only, I've done DMC3 DMD with no items and a bunch of other stuff but this is seriously making me feel like the biggest retard.

Does it get better?
>>
The game's just poorly designed anon. It's not on you. I got caught by that Chainsaw guy while hiding under a bed in Chapter 1 when he would have no way of seeing me.
>>
>>316455498
It's not a very good game, that's all. Just skip it.
>>
>>316455640
>>316455674
I can't be the only one who thinks this right?

It just seems all over the place.

>Black bars like The Order:1886
>Stealth mechanics, but its so dark you have to use the fucking lantern to see shit, which exposes you
>Gun accuracy is literally dogshit and your bullet deviation is disgusting
>Enemies don't die to headshots
>Have to use 3 headshots to kill a single enemy, you're lucky if you have a full revolver going into Chapter 3

I don't fucking get it.
>>
>>316455498
>It's stealth survival
>It's pure action
>It's Silent Hill esque
>It's Resident Evil 4

You know, this game bothers me then more survival horror games. Because it legitimately is confused about just how it wants to work. I've seen lots of other horror games, they usually know directly from the start what they want to be about. This... it just doesn't. It's tries to mesh with all horror game genres, and that kinda blows.
>>
>>316455498
It doesn't.
>>
>>316457201
Honestly, thats fucking pathetic.
>>
>>316456008
As I said it's just not well designed.

>Sebastian's leg somehow heals when you get to Chapter 2
Never explained.
>>
>>316455498
git gud
>>
>>316455498
I dropped the game exactly in that level
I thought that i rushed the first two chapters so it was my fault or something

i gently started a DLC run, and it is a lot better IMO
Stealth, puzzles and shit. No weapons at all
>>
>>316455498
the same thing happened to me 4 separate times trying to finally get into it. it gets a lot better after the first few chapters. after i got past like 3 or 4 i played it for two days straight til i beat it
>>
>>316457927
I watched some guy do it on youtube and he uses the flashbolt you get and then just instant kills with a stealth kill.

What the actual fuck?

Who designed that?
If you try and stealth kill the very first chainsaw guy you encounter in chapter 1, he fucking turns around and kills you.

So how am I supposed to think thats a valid strategy.

I may give it one more shot, but I think I may just drop it forever and never look back. Trade it away or something so I don't have to see it on my fucking shelf.
>>
>>316455498
It doesn't know what it wants to be.

>Its action, but you don't get enough ammo to take down everything
>Its stealth, but it forces you into combat all the time
>Its survival horror, but its mostly just gore
>>
>>316457435
Finish the game, then use your brain.
>>
>>316458542
>it was all a dream
2deep4u
>>
File: 1447227654257.png (26 KB, 459x548) Image search: [Google]
1447227654257.png
26 KB, 459x548
>>316458828
there you go, buddy
>>
>>316458087

It's also possible to lure him into any of the houses in the zone and use the variety of traps littered all over the zone (along with the hiding places) to whittle him down.

It's not likely the devs intended people to unload their entire arsenal of ammunition against him and there are plenty of ways through that zone (and taking care of the enemies). It's one of the first zones in the game where all sorts of strategies work (running away, hiding, shooting and killing your way through etc etc.)

I dunno what the fuss here is.
>>
Picked up this game because it was on sale for $20. I've heard that it's a mediocre title, but how would you personally rate it? Haven't sat down and played it yet and was just wondering what everybody thought, in terms of good points and bad points.
>>
>>316457692
this
>>
I didn't have that much trouble, I died like once to him and got past it. Maybe you should play mobile games or something OP.
>>
>>316460303

It's a fine game, perfectly reasonable action-horror experience.

It's as if Clive Barker made a cross between Resident Evil 4 and Alan Wake and it's about as good as those games are. RE4 nostalgiafags can go fuck themselves.
>>
>>316455498
You just suck. Chainsaw man isn't like that pussy baby tier faggot from RE4. This nigga is has crazy life. You need step up your game.
>>
>>316460781
>Just Suck
I unloaded everything I had. Its kinda shitty design if I straight up don't have the ammo to kill him.
>>
>>316461178
Then you don't know how to use the environment to your advantage if even on casual you don't have the ammo to kill him.
>>
>>316455498

Anon, there's a trophy for beating this guy with just a knife. It's not that hard.. You're just bad at the game.
>>
>>316455640
>>316455674
>>316456008
Fucking casuals.

>>316455498
Blast him OR use your brain and use the spike trap in the house in front of the barn. Ammo saved + easy kill.
>>
>>316458828
>it was all a dream

That's not even the story you big dumbass.

>>316457775
Chapter 3 / 6 and 10 or 11 are the toughest chapters in the game.

People need to stop complaining if a game is too hard and start to git gud.
>>
>>316461178
>you can use matchsticks to put haystacks on fire to deal him damages
>you can attack him with the axes all around town
>you can use the spike traps that are on two distinct places in this map against him
>you can shoot explosive traps when he walks near them

Is this your first video game or something?
>>
>>316455498
The important mechanic of this game is to burn bodies as soon as you knock them down to conserve ammo.
>>
That's alright anon, not everyone can have good taste and appreciate the 2014's GOTY.
>>
>>316455498
Didnt find it overly hard, but think i hit chapter 4 and I just found it so... boring? Like it just felt really uninteresting and shit, never finished it
>>
>>316462439
I was doing this.
>>316462197
>Chapter 3 is one of the hardest chapters in the game
I would believe this.
>>
If four dudes bust out of nowhere you didn't kill them all. When it's clear of enemies, it'll actually be clear and you 1v1 him. Easiest thing to do honestly is flashbolt and get behind him and insta kill him with your knife

Or lure him into the hay and burn it (iirc there are some on the top floor after you climb the ladder) he's one of the easier bosses
>>
>>316457435
It's all in your head.
>>
>>316455640
I still remember the chapter 1 chainsaw guy changing it's movement, the moment i hid myself hid on the drawer instead of breaking the boxes that he's supposed to do, he just spinning around in the middle of room.
>>
>>316460303

Like a 7/10 for me. Dialogue is absolutely horrible and some things like movement feel idunno kind of choppy? Not sure how to explain it

But the enemy designs are great, the weapons aren't overly powerful but not shitty either, for a while it's a pretty fun survival horror but around chapter 12 or 13 maybe it becomes less "horror" and more survival as now some of the possessed zombie things now have guns and ride around in jeeps with turrets
>>
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 1157x1194) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 1157x1194
>>316462517
My brother of another mother
>>
>>316462957
You beat Akumu mode? That's amazing, I plan to try it sometime next year.

I really, really like the game. The variety of settings is something you won't find in any other modern horror games, and I love that the game is not full blown action nor full blown survival horror, walking on a fine line between the genres. The story is more elaborate than what you'd find in your average horror game as well, and it's a shame that most people are too narrow minded to appreciate it.
>>
File: 1444472071652.png (484 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1444472071652.png
484 KB, 1280x720
>>316462957
Good job, anon.
>>
>>316463086
>too narrow minded to appreciate it
>Mikami literally threw whatever the fuck he wanted in the mix and taped it all together
>>
>>316463086
Don't let the other /v/irgins here you say that

>>316463216

Uh oh, too late
>>
>>316463216
There there anon, shouldn't you be playing the latest Frictional game? Lots of text logs are waiting for you to read them.
>>
File: banner.png (209 KB, 610x250) Image search: [Google]
banner.png
209 KB, 610x250
>>316463086
Yeah I even bought the japanese version of the game and beat akumu there too. It's frustrating on the first playthrough, but it gets easier when you know what to upgrade for what chapters.

The game is so fucking good, as a horror fan it was a blast. Jumping from location to location and never knowing what's coming next was so good. Also, damn was that game long.

The story was indeed really good, though it could have been deeper, like using Sebastian's dead daughter as a ghost to lead him either to safety or insanity. A la Dead Space 2 you know.

>>316463143
Thanks anon, it was a fun ride. The DLCs were bretty gud for once. Especially the keeper arena fighter FPS one.
>>
File: eating desk.png (47 KB, 1384x255) Image search: [Google]
eating desk.png
47 KB, 1384x255
>>316460303
It's a nice game, I'd say 8/10. Decently scary, pretty challenging, I played on the hardest difficulty. Finding ammo can be difficult, forcing you to conserve it and sneak, gunplay felt pretty solid to me. The only real complaint I have is that the story made little to no sense at all because it tried going 2deep4u.

Op you just need to git gud, honestly that guy is one of the easiest bosses there is.
>>
>>316455498
It does get better, but not by a whole lot. It kind of switches from fun RE4 style chapter to more horror type chapters, then to weird gimmick chapters, then a couple chapters to shit out the mediocre story, some more gimmick chapters, boss fight.
>>
It gets a lot better. That area is shit and not like the rest of the game.
>>
>>316463941
This needs to be rewritten with "casual" instead of "fat"
>>
>>316460303
It's worth it to go through once and that's about it. There's some cool RE4 style stuff in it.

If the framerate didn't chug so badly and it had no black bars I would enjoy it a lot more. Would be 4 stars, just a 3 currently.
>>
>>316461178
He dies in like 1 explosive arrow shot, 5 pistol shots and 4 shotguns shots. Not difficult.

Just use the spikes. He can't touch you if you keep running.
>>
>>316455498

This game isn't difficult at all. I completed it on Hard but it took me a few months because I kept getting bored and wished I was playing RE4 instead. That final boss fight with the RPG though, fucking awesome.

What pissed me off the most was the 3deep5u story.
>>
I played this entire game and I don't know what burning bodies does, other than allow you to trap other zombies in it.
>>
I had to drop it to casual too but I enjoyed the game after that part.

I didn't like all the collectible shit though.

Ended up giving it 4/5.
>>
First 3 chapters are fucking shit, then it gets good, then boring, then good, then it's just shooting shit for the rest of the game.
>>
>>316464992
Burning bodies is useful to trap living enemies AND avoid enemies from going back up (= save ammo when they fall down but arent dead yet)
>>
>>316455498
the game just isnt that good
it didnt get a 60 metascore for being perfect
>>
>>316464843
If you think you can do it then go ahead
>>
>>316464992
Some enemies play dead. It's rare, but it happens, I started burning bodies religiously when I walked past a guy I shot and he got up and stabbed me in the back. Also using dead bodies as a trap is pretty easy. Another plus is you can kick someone down, and then burn them before they get back up, saving you some ammo
>>
>>316465580
Considering how many casuals and retards shit on this game in this thread alone, I'm not surprised it got a bad score.
>>
>>316465580
Let's face it, the problem here is that op is a causal. The gameplay has nothing to do with him not getting past this early part of the game on easy, he's just bad
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (67 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
67 KB, 1080x720
>>316455498

>i can't beat the chainsaw enemy with miles of ground to run around on

yeah you better just stop now. it gets harder than that.

goddang, you guys remember when this came out and everyone was saying things like "there's not enough ammo!" or "one hit kills, this is bullshit!"

couldn't be simpler. maintain distance and use accurate fire, and he goes down. there is no hidden trick to it.
>>
>Trailer promised a slasher b movie game
>Has silent hill bullshit in it
>Game is not even scary minus the butcher stage where you have to sneak away from him
Storywise
It's shit
>>
>>316456008
>>Black bars like The Order:1886
Turn them off then... You can turn them off on both console and PC
>>Stealth mechanics, but its so dark you have to use the fucking lantern to see shit, which exposes you
I never had this issue, it is supposed to be dark, but if you can't even see then just turn your brightness up. Only a few chapters really use stealth though.
>>Gun accuracy is literally dogshit and your bullet deviation is disgusting
This is true, but is really only an issue on no upgrade runs. Upgrade your accuracy.
>>Enemies don't die to headshots
They do if it's a powerful weapon. Unless your weaker weapons are highly upgraded, your best bet is to either stun them with a bottle and crouch-shank kill them, use your crossbow, use environmental hazards, stealth kill them, or gather them together and use a weapon to knock them down and a match to burn them.
>>Have to use 3 headshots to kill a single enemy, you're lucky if you have a full revolver going into Chapter 3
See the previous point. Handgun is worthless, and it (and the shotgun) should only be used as an accessory weapon for knocking enemies down.

The Evil Within has a really unique combat system that doesn't really play like any game out there. It's not so much that it's extremely difficult or whatnot, you just need to understand the system and its intricacies, and you'll understand why TEW is such a great and unique game.
>>
>>316460303
Probably aI 9/10. It's my favorite game of 2014.

You need to stick with it and try akumu mode to really enjoy it.

Seeing someone speedrun akumu mode (NG, not NG+) in under three hours with no upgrades or keys really showed me the amount of depth and variety there is to dealing with the various encounters in the game.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.