[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need help figuring out the medium most likely to still be around
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: vhs.jpg (5 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
vhs.jpg
5 KB, 275x183
I need help figuring out the medium most likely to still be around in 30 years.

I'm a high school literature teacher. My principal called in all of the history/lit teachers last week and discussed "multimedia education" with us, which is code for "let the kids watch a movie instead of reading one of the books".

I am spitefully buying about 30 worthy adaptations, but I have a question -

If I want to never, ever buy these again, what medium will last the longest for me? The school prefers for me to not use private internet accounts for educating, so because of weird rules I really shouldn't use any form of streaming like Amazon.

That leaves me with dvd, bluray, or I guess putting the movies legally on some sort of external drive. That's important. Has to be legal.

The drive is obviously the most likely to still work in the future, because I can just move the data around freely between new storage methods, but I have no idea if there is a way to buy movies in that sort of way. I imagine not since it would be easy to upload them on the internet without any extra work.

So what do I do?
>>
Do they really care if it's legal? Just rename the files
>>
>>67926503
Or burn them onto a DVD. Cheaper than buying movies and faster
>>
>>67926503
It's pretty important. I'm a 30 year old with a family and I work for the state, have a retirement plan, and make $80k a year with benefits. I would be fired if, through any means, it was discovered I was stealing movies instead of buying them myself or requesting them through the library/grants.

Not worth the risk even if it's convenient. I'm trying to find a middle ground between stealing and having to loan through the library every semester, and the only reasonable middle ground for me is to just buy them and own them personally in a legal and long-lasting format.
>>
>>67926527
Until some smart ass 18 year old realizes I did that and says something about it.
>>
>>67926575
dvd's have a few years left yet and if they're older movies you can get them dirt cheap.
>>
>>67926575
Fuck it then just go with DVD's. Go hit up pawn shops in your area, I'm sure you can build up a decent library of nearly 30 movies with no more than 50 bucks.
>>
>>67926575
Hm, well I think DVD would be better. Blu-ray is still kinda new and maybe you'll run into issues with finding a player or an HDTV or whatever it is. DVD is more common and typically cheaper. Players included.

I would use Ebay to buy DVDs. Typically they're cheaper than Amazon. Or find a local used book store or something that might carry them.

Unless you know blu-ray would be fine, though not everything has a blu-ray release and some blu-ray releases can be butchered (World at war documentary for example)
>>
>>67926456
Just buy the dvd/blu-ray and rip copies to an .mp4 that you put on a $2 usb drive and label them extended director's commentary cut. Tape the usb drives to the inside of the dvdcase so as to avoid the librarian throwing them out.

I believe that its legal to backup the things you own, just not distribute publicly.

You could even suggest the IT department holds backups of discs in digital file storage so that you can retrieve/stream the files from a server with your laptop's VLC should the kids scratch the only disc.
>>
>>67926456
I didn't read the OP but probably DVDs are the best thing to invest in because if they haven't been converted to Bluray by now who knows if they'll ever get a proper touch up.
>>
>>67926619
>>67926633
>>67926639

If I said I wanted specific movies, and a lot of them are kind of obscure putting them at $12-20 on ebay, is there any legal digital non-streaming format that might compete?

Thanks a lot by the way. This is the answer I expected, I just don't really know the state of blurays(I haven't bought a physical movie since I was a teenager) and don't have any idea what the internet is doing for ownership of movies these days. I didn't want to buy dvds and have them be obsolete in 5 years.
>>
>>67926701
some stuff comes with a legit digital copy now when you buy the dvd/br so you say it was that on your hard drive/burned dvd
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.