[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which version of DoFP is the definitive? Why are there so many?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 91FC-RE3kwL._SL1500_.jpg (332 KB, 1125x1500) Image search: [Google]
91FC-RE3kwL._SL1500_.jpg
332 KB, 1125x1500
Which version of DoFP is the definitive? Why are there so many? And why is the 4K version just scaled 2K? Like why even release a non-4K 4K film? If you have a 4K TV, which is better, 1080p or fake 4K?
>>
>>67829996
This is the thing with a lot of films, especially digital on 4k bluray. The Martian, Sicario etc.

Most of the DI's over the recent years have been 2k. So it's basically an upsale with extra grain, I assume. This will be the case with DoFP.

The beautiful thing about a lot of the films shot on celluloid is that they can be scanned at 4k (like Ran) and will be a 'true' 4k. I remember they scanned Blade Runner at 4k. I truly hope they release the scan. That would be fantastic.

So to answer your question, get either 1080p, or fake 4k.
>>
>>67829996
none, the film is contrived retarded bullshit
>>
>>67830195
Are films with 2k DI's going to be 2k forever?
>>
>>67832907
yes. Upscale to 4k
>>
I want to upgrade my home theatre set up for 4K but this shit is ridiculous.
>>
Did they really shoot stuff in 2K? How long were they doing this?
>>
>>67833133
No, they shot in 4k (mostly), but then post in 2k
>>
>>67833116
Really no point at the moment. Being an early adopter is never a good idea.

>>67833133
They shot this primarily on Alexa, so 4K wouldn't have been out of the question, but apparently it was shot in 2.8K and the master is 2K.
>>
>>67834013
>They shot this primarily on Alexa, so 4K wouldn't have been out of the question, but apparently it was shot in 2.8K and the master is 2K.

aren't there movies from literally 2000 shot in 2K Digital? Why are remotely recent films still shot in 2K?
>>
>>67835800
I believe it is because of budgetary reasons. Most visual effects are still composited at 2K and upscaled to 4K or whatever the DI resolution, because it simply would be too costly to make them in 4K. Movies that heavily use visual effects, like capeshit, etc, are more likely to be shot at a lower resolution for this reason.

Nothing really wrong with it though, I personally think they shouldn't force 4K as much when it clearly needs a few more years to really set in. Which is strange because the japanese are already really pushing for 8K for the olympics.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.