[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GHOSTBUSTERS ETHERED BY DEADLINE!! >The easy go-to excuse
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 76
File: 235334.jpg (305 KB, 989x766) Image search: [Google]
235334.jpg
305 KB, 989x766
GHOSTBUSTERS ETHERED BY DEADLINE!!

>The easy go-to excuse for the the less-than spectacular opening for Ghostbusters was that Sony was too ambitious in re-starting this franchise with a female cast; that they’ve completely put off guys.

>But here’s the root more than anything else as to why Ghostbusters under-delivered: it’s not your typical, bawdy Feig/McCarthy comedy, it’s more family friendly and that’s what everyone noticed and cried outrage about after seeing the first trailer in March (which was one of the worst rated in YouTube history): They didn’t think it was funny. The original Ghostbusters was never intended to be a family brand, it was a special effects tentpole with a sarcastic Saturday Night Live/National Lampoon/Second City sense of humor. Over time, it became kid-ified with its cartoon and videogame ancillaries, and that’s the trap that Sony and the flimmakers fell into in reigniting this film. It’s too goody goody, and audiences can smell that. If you’re going to hire Feig and McCarthy, then they should execute what they’re known and loved for: a raunchy Ghostbusters.

>Granted, most of the actors from the first Ghostbusters make cameos as different characters in the current version, however, for some movie marketing folk, whenever a campaign is inclusive of its original elements, it goes a long way in regards to pulling the legacy demo of the brand back inside the theater.

>Says one rival distribution chief, “They allegedly made this film because there’s an enormous love for the franchise. If this is in fact the case, why would you go and alienate that core group?”
>>
Amazing how other studios know that you don't alienate the audience you're trying to get to see your movie

Sony is fucking clueless
>>
I don't know if its a racist thang or a sexist thang
>>
File: aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg (31 KB, 419x261) Image search: [Google]
aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg
31 KB, 419x261
>>72089185
>>
>>72088850
Imagine you're a 60 year old grandparent. You saw the original Ghostbusters in theaters. You liked it. Your kids loved it. They watched the cartoons and bought the toys.

You see the new trailer. It doesn't look like the Ghostbusters you remember. It's not funny. Then you see a commercial that says "Women are funny, get over it!"

Who would take their grandkids to see the movie after that?
>>
>>72089305
i wouldnt take my grandkids to see ghostbusters 3 no. id say we are just gonna see star trek next weekend get ready for some spaceships
>>
>>72089185
That line doesn't even make sense in the movie.
The crowd clearly didn't catch Leslie Jones just because she's a woman, because they caught Melissa McCarthy and as far as I know she's a woman too.
>>
>>72089305
If I was a grandparent I would be forcing my grandkids to study Shannon's theorems.
>>
>>72089305
60 year old buying the toys?
You realize gen xers were the primary demo for the original movies and millenials for the cartoons and toys, right?
>>
Who knew trying a ham fisted commercial grab would fail
>>
>why would you go and alienate that core group?”

Because it's 2016
>>
>family friendly
>pussy fart within 10 minutes
>>
>>72088850
>“They allegedly made this film because there’s an enormous love for the franchise. If this is in fact the case, why would you go and alienate that core group?”
>>
>>72088850
>“They allegedly made this film because there’s an enormous love for the franchise. If this is in fact the case, why would you go and alienate that core group?”

Because they're fucking morons and we are ALWAYS right
>>
And where were these articles months ago?

Oh right, they didn't want to risk being called sexist themselves. KEKS.
>>
>>72090161
/tv/ is pretty much always wrong. The fact that /pol/ also predicted it to bomb is what is saving us.
>>
File: MTIwNjA4NjMzNzAzNzI4NjUy.jpg (14 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
MTIwNjA4NjMzNzAzNzI4NjUy.jpg
14 KB, 300x300
LOOKS LIKE MEN WIN AGAIN

WE DID IT GUYS
>>
>>72090331
I am starting to think that the best defense force for the "patriarchy" is...feminists.
>>
It's not even a bomb. It'll make its money back. /tv/ just seeing what they want to see.
>>
File: Ch4C52cW0AQforD.jpg (43 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
Ch4C52cW0AQforD.jpg
43 KB, 540x405
>>72088850
>If this is in fact the case, why would you go and alienate that core group?”

The question everyone's been asking, but that's already answered in the Sony leak emails.

In them, we find that Amy Pascal who greenlit this and even pushed for it to be made, wanted female recasts in general, has a feminist ideology as a drive to make movies (rather than any merit or even profit based motive) and was sold on the idea by Feig explicitly referencing this.

Feig sold this movie to her as just a vehicle to launch a women led franchise. Nowhere in the emails does he seem concerned with the Ghostbusters movies or mythos. It's just a convenient label to slap on what was in reality "Superhero Women Team Up And Fight Monsters" as a franchise idea.

It's strange that people act like there's a debate about this to be had, we literally know more about this movie than almost all other movies that have come out, from conception to frantic emails about pressuring people to do cameos in it.
>>
>>72089111
>Sony is fucking clueless

Yeah, that's a given.
>>
>>72090684

You're so adorable.
>>
Why is anyone shocked after the Sony email leaks. They are retarded hate their audience and Amy Pascal is an evil kike whore.
>>
For reference Jurassic World was the last big reboot and it opened at $500 million
>>
>>72088850

JUST.
>>
>>72090684
>t'll make its money back.

It'll be lucky to do that by the end of its run. Maybe it won't go down with Heaven's Gate, Ishtar or The Lone Ranger as one of the great flops of all time, but it's going to be one more notch in this year's summer of discontent.
>>
>>72090684

If Ghostjusters was the only movie out this summer, then sure. All the kids are watching the CGI pet movie right now, and Star Trek is out next week. Warcraft funny enough took in way more than Ghostjusters is ever going to.
>>
>>72090922
It'll still get a sequel based on the sjw goodwill alone.
>>
>>72089492
>Mom, Grandpa is going all brain rot again
>Why don't you take my phone and go outside and play some Pokemon, dear? I'll get you once his episode is over.
>>
>>72089305
>"Women are funny, get over it!"
-THE NEW YORK TIMES

FUCKING ABSURD THE SJW TRASH BLOGGERS THEY LET USE THEIR NAME

IT TRULY IS 2016, JESUS CHRIST
>>
>>72088850
all these tabloid shittingtonpost articles blame EVERYONE ELSE, not the movie makers
They have no sense of agency
>>
They haven't even skirted pass the budget. That's bad. The least you can do as a movie is at least make it past your budget on opening day.
I'm embarrassed for them because they tried so hard to shit on the original fans and romance an audience of women who didn't care. Even after internet stirred up a controversy. Even after critics were bought and others gave it raving reviews at a grab for moral victory. They failed.
>>
>>72089111
>Let's shame them into watching our retarded version of a once-loved kids movie
>>
>>72091050

EW used the term "mouth-breathing" to describe naysayers of this movie. It's incredible how flustered and unprofessional these people can get.
>>
File: 235236.jpg (112 KB, 1249x497) Image search: [Google]
235236.jpg
112 KB, 1249x497
THANK YOU FOREIGN PLEBS!!
>>
>>72090307
We're always right
>>
>>72091211
I don't get how it cost $140m. Like... where is that money going? It's not like there's a ton of hyper-realistic CGI in it. Did they pay McCarthy/Wiig/Feig $20m or something silly ala a Sandler movie?
>>
>>72091277
diversity consultants

considering they only came up with an insulting black stereotype sidekick they should ask for a refund
>>
>>72090873
I just realized that Ghostbusters has almost the same budget as Jurassic World 144 Million vs 150 Million. And that doesn't include marketing.

The studio will be saving face because no one likes talking bombs unless it's undeniable. But there's simply no way they'll make a sequel unless it breaks 300 Millions.
>>
>>72091238
Probably Pajet
>>
File: 4346346.jpg (87 KB, 763x417) Image search: [Google]
4346346.jpg
87 KB, 763x417
>BIGGER BUDGET THAN PIXELS

MY SIDES!!
>>
File: 1468597799250.jpg (94 KB, 600x799) Image search: [Google]
1468597799250.jpg
94 KB, 600x799
I'M A HUGE SONYGGER

I watched it only 6 times and even I can say it's pretty good.

would watch again. Don't mind giving money to a good company I can trust.
>>
>>72091396
>Pixels made back its budget and then some
>>
>>72091277
99% of it presumably went on making Harold Ramis' grave 'zombie proof' should he rise again looking for vengance
>>
>>72091397
>SONYGGER

lel

i get it
>>
>>72091426
They probably lost money on Pixels, just not a ton.
>>
>>72091277
Filming locations, building sets, paying extras, CGI, stunts, I can go on and on. It doesn't help that Paul Feig was stuck on doing that dance number and did about three reshoots and still left it out of the real film putting it in the credits.
The reason why Paul Feig gets touted as a "success" is he makes low budget films. A handful of interior locations and very few external shots paired with very few extras you save a lot of money and it's easy to get a box office gross that's over the budget.
I think he got a bit too confident with "Spy" being a comedy action movie and jumped into a Summer blockbuster too quickly.
It shows in the movie and the box office numbers.
>>
>>72091426
>100% of the money made from ticket sales of a movie goes to the studio and marketing is free
They probably just about broke even
>>
>>72091238
It's not out in any relevant European country yet.

>August 24 in France

lol
>>
>>72090795

What was "the joke" here, why are they stomping him?

I am scared to watch youtube clip, please someone explain.
>>
File: 1431135139009.jpg (114 KB, 802x550) Image search: [Google]
1431135139009.jpg
114 KB, 802x550
>>72091238

ONLY $435 MILLION MORE TILL BREAK EVEN!

THAT'LL TOTALLY HAPPEN!

GHOSTBUSTERS 2016 WONT BE A MASSIVE FINANCIAL LOSS! NO WAY :^)
>>
>>72091492
I honestly think it's down to studios just being incompetent and refusing to control costs. Films like this did not cost the equivalent of $150m 30 years ago. Money is being burnt somewhere.

And, yes, the McCarthy films do well because of modest budgets. They're never blockbusters but are solid performers compared to their budgets. She's the white Tyler Perry.
>>
>>72091238
I'm laughing so hard right now like a hardy gutteral laugh
Not even the foreign market wanted this.
This is just too good.
>>
>>72089484
it doesn't make sense for it to be a "lady thang" in reference to Jones regardless
>>
>>72091539

>uk
>biggest market after china
>not relevant

oh wait brexit :^)
>>
File: 1467281260406.jpg (8 KB, 250x247) Image search: [Google]
1467281260406.jpg
8 KB, 250x247
>>72089305
> you saw the original ghostbusters when you were 28
what a fucking loser watching kiddie shit in his late 20s

the answer is: it doesn't matter because you have to do whatever you wife's kids want you too
>>
>>72091238

>The Secret Life of Pets beat it this week.
>Next Week, Ice Age and Star Trek will kill it
>Week after that, Bourne will dispose of the corpse
>After that week, Suicide Squad will find it and rape its corpse.

No way this is making more than 200 million, with no release in china, its competition, and the bad word of mouth its gotten. Paul Feig suicide when?
>>
File: trips prediction.png (171 KB, 1365x761) Image search: [Google]
trips prediction.png
171 KB, 1365x761
>>72090307
>>
>>72091050

MANBABIES ARE MAD AT WOMYN!
>>
>>72091757
Star Trek and Ice Age are going to flop too (well, in the US for the latter, probably do solidly abroad)
>>
I'm watching it just to spite you faggots. I would gladly pay for anything to piss you people off.
>>
new thread

>>>72091674
>>
>>72091457
kek
>>
Plus they decided to name call and talk shit about people who didn't like it by calling them sexist which alienated more people
>>
>>72091623
A movie like Insurgent had a budget $110 million. It didn't even have that big of an audience and was pretty much a Hunger Games like clone made back it's budget and did well financially. Movies like this can be expensive if the director and producers aren't careful. Considering the producer was the an former executive she could cut deals and get more financing. The problem is in a perfect world where Sony and Paul Feig were able to take criticisms and didn't feed into negative remarks with more negativity they would have did well.
If they would have tried to win over the detractors and didn't try to bury the original they would have done so fucking well. Even if the movie sucked showing homage to the original the right way would have paid off.
>>
>whiny pissbaby MRA scum perpetrate a hate campaign against the movie
>muddy the waters
>average person doesn't want to see it

lmao, all this proves is that we're going to have to try harder next time.

Audiences want to see more women comedians, that's a fact, sorry virgins
>>
>>72091574
>females stepping on men is progress and to be applauded
>it's not a joke, it's a statement
>>
>>72091869
>MRA
Stick to manbabies or dudeboys or some other retarded shit.
>>
>>72090872
believe it or don't, although the Sony email hack is relatively well known, most normies don't know any of the details or understand their relevance.

The only place I ever hear or read about them is here.
>>
>>72089111
Trips of truth, I will never understand why their game studio methodology and their film studio study methodology is literally the opposite.
>>
>>72091426
>>72091482
the relevant people got everything they wanted from it i bet.
>>
>>72090684
>>72091238
>>72091629
according to this reviewer
https://youtu.be/XJ0_Ke1-mYA?t=11m50s
Chinese will not be showing the movie due to ghosts being too realistic.
>>
File: 83728462.jpg (350 KB, 815x1024) Image search: [Google]
83728462.jpg
350 KB, 815x1024
>>72090684
>It's not even a bomb. It'll make its money back. /tv/ just seeing what they want to see.

Not very likely, all the press reports suggests a $100+ million promotion to add on these $144 million in production costs (how the fuck this the cheesy effects in this movie warrant that budget !?).

That's some ~$250 million to make back before any profit is made, and it's not even opening in China, which will severely hamper the foreign box office prospects.

It's not even as this will sell a lot of toys to add to the licensing revenue stream, I'm pretty sure the girls will go on buying Barbie's instead, and boys is certainly not a likely market.

Currently, given that the studio get's around ~55% of the initial domestic movie gross, it has made the studio $25 million domestic during the opening weekend, and it get's much less of the box office gross from foreign markets, which sofar has yielded a measly $19 million (again the studio would be happy to get 8 of those $19 millions).

So unless it has a really long and strong run (unlikely given the poor word of mouth that the user reviews indicate), it will NOT make the money back in it's box office run.

Currently they are back ~$225 million after the opening weekend, I don't see it happening.
>>
>>72091238
too bad the largest market for film consumption outside the us of ass ...china will not be showing it in their theaters because of g-g-g-g-g-gghosts
>>
Looks like it's doing similar to first-week Angry Birds, another Sony film, except this doesn't have a major national holiday or empty release slate to give it legs.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=angrybirds.htm

I'd bet the farm on Star Trek robbing it of adult audience share, Ice Age robbing it of the kiddie audience, and Suicide Squad delivering the killing blow. Sony tried to make a film that appealed to everyone, and ended up with something that ultimately will appeal to no-one.
>>
>>72091426
>>72091482
why do I keep seeing this meme about super inflated budgets that don't exist anywhere

Pixels had over 150 million dollar profit. Period.

If everything was flopping according to /tv/'s made up rules of movie budgets, nothing short of films breaking a billion would've ever worked
>>
>>72090873
Jurassic park is not a reboot it is a direct sequel.
>>
>>72091007
A sequel to a movie that at best breaks even? Ok then. It's a definite that a sequel would make even less. SJW goodwill means jack shit.

Best to leave this turd in the toilet.
>>
>>72092077
CGI films tend to be way less frontloaded than live-action films.
>>
File: whiteknight femcuck.jpg (139 KB, 453x608) Image search: [Google]
whiteknight femcuck.jpg
139 KB, 453x608
>>72091869
I'LL SAVE YOU M'LADY!

>>72091899
DONT TELL HER WHAT TO DO YOU PISSBROING SHITLORD!

SHES A STRONG INDEPENDENT WOMYN SHILLING FOR A CYNICAL STUDIO'S GASHGRAB REBOOT WITH A HAMFISTED FEMINISM GIMMICK FOR SUPPOSED FREE PRESS CONTROVERSY THAT BACKFIRED ON THEM, AND A POORLY MADE ONE AT THAT, BECAUSE... REASONS
>>
>>72091921
>Trips of truth, I will never understand why their game studio methodology and their film studio study methodology is literally the opposite.

Because their game studio is run by Japs, while their movie studio is run by jews who in turn were shunned by other movie studios (all of which are jewish as well).

It's like the handout movie studio for jews, they sign on multiple movie contracts with dead jewish careers like Adam Sandler, and why shouldn't they, it's not their money, it's the Jap's money.
>>
To be fair you can't explain to people how there is "probably"an additional 100+ or whatever millions in costs etc.
Even if it makes like 20mil. or so above its budget normies will think it did ok.
>>
>>72092112
>All the money that was put into this project is reflected in the production budget.
>The production budget reflects the marketing costs.
>The 245 million dollar box office return means a one for one parity in studio returns.

These are the type of people handling Sony's financials.
>>
>>72092112
Pixels did well in the global market but it had no marketing appeal in the US (ie toys, video games, other merchandise). American studios give no shits about the international market and unless you can move some product after the movie is out of theaters and on DVD you're done.
A good example of the other end is Pacific Rim which didn't do to well in the US but did great world wide not only that it made tons in merchandise which is why it's getting a sequel.
>>
>>72092231
>PISSBROING SHITLORD

See that's way better than MRAs.
>>
46M is more than I expected.
Maybe it won't be a flop.
>>
>>72092315
Yep, it just has to do that 11 times over in markets where they receive small fractions of ticket returns, and it's golden.
>>
>>72092264
why would they not include marketing costs in the original budget? why the fuck would a shitty cg movie like pixels cost so much if not for included marketing budget
>>
>>72089305
>"Women are funny, get over it!"
Did they actually put this in a commercial? Got a link?
>>
>>72091741
Not an argument
>>
>>72092315
>>72092112
Even Paul Feig says that for Ghostbusters to be a success it would have to above and beyond budget. His number was 500 million which I think it the dream number Sony wants but if the at least hit mid way around 250 and more they're be good to go. It's not TV making up shit this is how Hollywood budgets and profits work. This is how the movie studios do business.
>>
>>72092315
nope, the budget is too high. this is a major tentpole release.

same shit with tarzan, which had a similar opening, except that somehow has a $180m budget (wtf warner). the fact they're not going to burn hundreds of millions of dollars on it flopping is a fucking miracle.
>>
Why did it open in the UK and Ireland on a Monday?

Why do they open on different days in different countries?
>>
>>72092445
Monday release is odd even in the UK. Not sure why that happened.
>>
>>72092372
Because actors like Sandler and pals demand big paychecks. Jack and Jill cost over 80 million dollars, and most of that went to pay Sandler for acting, writing, producing, ect. Sandler's fee just for showing up on set is 20 million alone.
>>
>>72092381
It was a NY Times review

www.nytimes.com/2016/07/15/movies/ghostbusters-review-melissa-mccarthy-kristen-wiig.html?_r=0
>>
>>72092418
There's also a decent chance that Sony has fudged the numbers and it cost more than they're letting on.

That said, I think they smelt a bomb in the offing and decided not to spend a fortune on marketing. This doesn't feel like it's got some sort of crazy $100m+ push
>>
>>72091757
I have seen next to no hype for Star Trek and people are just confused more than anything that Ice Age is still going on. I think next week people just won't go to the movies except for a few Trekkies.
>>
>>72091396
Pixels is why Adam Sandler is doing movies for Netflix now. Maybe Paul Feig was right there is a movie jail and he's going there real soon.
>>
>>72091238
It's not out yet in many European countries. With some luck it will bomb in USA so hard that theaters will ask for just few copies.
>>
>>72090684
Leslie please, you're not fooling anyone.
>>
>>72092372
Marketing costs have never been included in production costs, because they are dynamic. They come in many forms, and the production companies keep those numbers locked down.

The reasons these productions cost so much is the talent involved. In Pixels case, Sandler (for better or worse) demands a big cheque.

In Ghostbusters case, it was McCarthy and Feig, commanding 14 million and 10+ million each.
>>
>>72092580
Money well spent
>>
>>72092543
Jack & Jill and That's My Boy also bombed. His movies stopped making money due to his huge paychecks, and Netflix was willing to keep paying him (and they have lower costs than a real movie studio as they don't do the same sort of marketing).
>>
>>72092580
Honestly, I can understand paying McCarthy $14m (she could easily do another low-budget film and make the same amount) but why the fuck did they pay Feig so much?
>>
It's interesting that Adam Sandler got paid so much for Pixels because through the whole movie he seemed aloof. It wasn't just the character either his performance was less animated like his past few films.
>>
File: JUSTBUSTmyshitup.jpg (306 KB, 827x1228) Image search: [Google]
JUSTBUSTmyshitup.jpg
306 KB, 827x1228
just
>>
Kids like movies where they can project themselves onto the characters. That's why movies aimed at children either star children or small animals. No child will be able to relate to any of the GB 2016 characters. Especially when there are several other movies out that do offer escapist fantasies.
>>
>>72089111
At least most should know this after BvS
>>
>>72092683
Seems like adam is dealing with depression or something. He has been really dark lately.
>>
>>72092653
His movies draw big money in the 'female comedy' genre - shit like The Heat, Bridesmaids, Spy, etc. He basically created an entire subgenre by capitalizing on McCarthy being fat and yelling things.
>>
>>72092683
Everything Sandler does gets funneled through Happy Madison Productions. He knows exactly what he's doing.
>>
File: 1468706984416.jpg (79 KB, 500x660) Image search: [Google]
1468706984416.jpg
79 KB, 500x660
>>72091837
Then you better watch it 10 million times, pal, because once ain't gonna cut it
>>
File: half.png (165 KB, 1474x761) Image search: [Google]
half.png
165 KB, 1474x761
>>72092580
INDUSTRY CONSENSUS IS THE MARKETING P&A FOR THIS MOVIE IS DOUBLE THE BUDGET

SO SONY HAS SUNK ABOUT 300 MILLION INTO IT

THEY ONLY RECEIVE 50% OF THE BOX OFFICE GROSS ON AVERAGE

SO THEY NEED TO TAKE IN ABOUT 600 MILLION TO BREAK EVEN ON THE THEATER RUN

THEY EXPECT SOME MONEY IN HOME VIDEO AND LICENSING, BUT NOT MUCH CONSIDERING THIS PERFORMANCE

THIS MOVIE BEING SUCH A BIG BRAND WAS EXPECTED TO PUT UP MAJOR BLOCKBUSTER NUMBERS $75 MIL OPENING WEEKEND WAS THEIR EARLY ESTIMATE

SO FEIG IS ON RECORD SAYING 500 MILLION AS A LOW ESTIMATE FOR THIS MOVIE TO BE CONSIDERED A SUCCESS, WHICH IS ACCURATE, AND WHICH HE WON'T COME CLOSE TO GETTING
>>
>>72092653
Feig is probably the second or 3rd draw to this film in terms of talent on the production team. McCarthy is obviously the big name, then Wiig, then Feig.

People who liked Heat or Spy would put two and two together that another McCarthey and Feig film would be good. But he's obviously completely unsuited for a movie of this scale.
>>
>>72091277
Jews probably embezzled it.
>>
This movie looks like an enjoyable summer popcorn flick. It's not a work of art but guess what - neither was the original Ghostbusters. That film is very funny, but flawed, and attained cult status because Bill Murray turned in a superb performance as Peter Venkman.

What seems to have happened is that my generational cohort - those of us who grew up in the 1980s - cherish the film because they spent hundreds of hours playing with Ghostbusters toys and watching the cartoon, dreaming of being a Ghostbuster as children often do with favorite fantasies. The reboot has created a kneejerk reaction in my fellow 80's nerds in the way anyone defending a prized childhood memory/fantasy will - though one does not see the same hatred spewed at the Star Trek reboots (which are far worse than this lighthearted reimagining is likely to be).

As a man I am very conscious that my fellow male nerds are often emotionally abusive and sexist towards women when "their" space or fantasies are insulted. It is part of a troubled relationship many of them have with women in general, as they often have a troubling time relating to them in a human way. I have observed it from among their group; the anger when they do not understand how to successfully attract or date a woman can be fierce.

I am not surprised the all-female version of Ghostbusters has caused such hatred, but I am saddened.
>>
>>72092866
I'm not reading all that shit
>>
>>72088850
>Family Friendly
>open with queef joke

please pick one
>>
I took my wife's kids to it and they loved it
>>
>72092112
>why do I keep seeing this meme about super inflated budgets that don't exist anywhere

Because you are retarded, just fucking Google 'box office studio percentages', do you even understand what GROSS is ? When the studio reports box office GROSS, that is money made at the box office, which then has to be DIVIDED between the movie theatres and the studio, early in the box office run the studio gets a larger piece of the cut (%55-60 depending on how popular it is) and then the percentage shifts to the benefit of the movie theatre.

So no, box office movie GROSS is NOT profit you idiot, not even close.

>Pixels had over 150 million dollar profit. Period.

No dumbass, it cost $88 million to make, had atleast $10-20 million extra cost in promotion (that's probably low) and made $78 million domestic, of which they got at best 50% because it was NOT a hit.

Then we had overseas which made $166 million, but you get worse percentage of the GROSS from the overseas markets, typically the studio gets a third of the total overseas gross, so that would make the studio ~$55 million overseas.

So cost of production and promotion: ~$100 million (and that's most likely low on the promotion budget)
Box office PROFITS (not GROSS): ~$100 million

It was not profitable, at best it made the money back. We will not see a Pixels 2.

This is also the reason studios pretty much make two types of movies these days, niche movies for small budgets, or potential blockbusters with very large budgets.
>>
>>72092866

Where did you copypaste that from?
>>
>>72092803
I think Sony brought Feig in because he was willing to pump the tires on the all female girl power narrative. The Sony leaks showed him and Pascal a clearly on another level of stupid when it comes to understanding what audiences wanted. Feig's success with crude humor/R rated all female productions to a PG-13 summer blockbuster wasn't going to be an easy transition, at all.
>>
The original ghostbusters absolutely was family friendly.

It just wasn't worried about terrifying kids, like a lot of 80's films.
>>
>>72092932
>atleast $10-20 million extra cost in promotion (that's probably low)
probably? double that at least.
>>
My barely five year-old son asked me this morning if only boys are "heroes". I was shocked and asked why he thought that. His answer was so painfully simple - in movies and the tv shows he's watched all the heroes are boys. My heart broke - I have daughters also. I can't wait to take them all to see the all female ghostbusters.
>>
>>72092730
Seriously, what boys (or adult collectors) want to buy the new Ghostbusters toys? That's why the shitty toys are already on clearance. They already lost huge amounts of money from the lack of Toy sales.
>>
>>72092996
there was a ghost blowjob scene
>>
>>72093082
No one gives a shit about your kids.
Welcome to real life.
>>
>>72092920
Our bull is letting me take my wife's son to see it
>>
"I ain't scared of no ghosts"
What did he mean by this?
>>
There are a lot whiny men in these comments commenting on a movie they haven't even seen yet. Rather, they are commenting about a review of film they have yet to see.

I don't recall this backlash to Jurassic World. Ya'll saw it to the tune of $1.5 billion! And it was a bad film. You also had no issue with the Star Wars reboot last year, which is also not a good movie. It pretty much recycled the first film. Haaa. The only difference with those and Ghostbusters is the cast isn't all women. In fact, Jurassic World is steeped in sexism (looking at Bryce Dallas Harper's character). And you say you're not sexist. Psssh!

If you're not a sexist, then shut up already because only the hit dog hollers, and a lot of you are hollering!
>>
>>72092996
>The original ghostbusters absolutely was family friendly.
Because it had a PG rating doesn't mean family friendly. The original was not meant for children. Teens at best. Ghosterbusters 2 was aimed towards families after Ghostbusters toys and cartoons were all the rage.
>>
File: 1466091610200.jpg (191 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
1466091610200.jpg
191 KB, 640x1136
>>72089305
>"Grandma what's a queef?"
>>
>>72093082
You need to start hitting your kids.
>>
File: 1468733220810.jpg (933 KB, 2058x4416) Image search: [Google]
1468733220810.jpg
933 KB, 2058x4416
we did it bros!
>>
>>72093166
Not reading all that shit
>>
>>72092917
Reminds me of that WB PR guy said that BvS was just a family popcorn movie to enjoy with the family and not meant to be some deep serious movie during the damage control.
>>
>>72092765
apologize
>>
Leslie Jones is the least funny, most grating "comedian" the business. Her schtick is one-note and grating as fuck.

Not being a racist /pol/tard or anything. I couldn't give a fuck about, say, Kevin Hart. I mean, fuck, Keenan Thompson isn't funny but at least he's not obnoxious about it.
>>
>>72093166
t. Joss Whedon
>>
>>72093107
Even though Mattel toys are pure shit, I'd probably buy that light-up Stay-Puft if I saw it on clearance.
>>
>>72091277

It's an overproduced production.

You don't have the costume designer say "here, lets use this jumpsuit and stick a few badges on them" you have a costume designer come up with variety of designs, they go through a committee who then market test them etc.

It adds an order of magnitude to the costs. Everything had lots of people working on it when before it'd have a small number.

They also chose expensive yet unimpressive set pieces. Concert scenes, on-location scenes etc.
>>
A reminder for everyone frothing at the mouth: this harmless movie doesn't erase the existence or the legacy of the original, and no one is forcing you to see it. If those two facts aren't enough to calm you, I wonder what the real trouble is. I don't think it's unrealistic to suppose it might be the extra X chromosomes involved with this movie.
>>
>>72092960
Pascal is such cancer. I can't believe she still has a job.
>>
File: 1438533641563.jpg (213 KB, 640x420) Image search: [Google]
1438533641563.jpg
213 KB, 640x420
>>72092683
Since he turned 40 Sandler has been doing mostly "Rich guy with a hot wife and wacky friends" comedies.
>>
I for one am looking forward to seeing this. I loved the original Ghostbusters as a kid, and look forward to an update. I am looking forward to a light popcorn movie, and it is a refreshing change to have a film like this fronted by women rather than the many men who front the superhero franchises that have dominated the box office of late.
>>
>>72093304
Yep. It's unbelievable how much d this stuff adds up. Not just this movie but other movies too.
>>
>>72093350
whoa, mike stoklasa lost a lot of weight
>>
After all that caterwauling from the haters -- are you the same crowd spewing vile remarks at Black Lives Matter, by the way? -- the Rotten Tomatoes count is 78% of critics give it a thumbs-up and 90% of the audience wants to see it.

I had my doubts for a few moments because the brief TV trailer I saw seemed pretty dumb. But Paul Feig knows how to make a funny movie.
>>
Where's that dickhead studio head that thought everyone shit talking the movie was "the best thing to happen" now?
>>
>>72093372
Well, you better get out and see it asap, because it's going to start losing screens fairly quickly.
>>
>wacky movie about what are essentially roach inspectors that somehow save the world in a charming way that felt normal and silly in how normal it is
>new movie is the roach inspectors are super cool womyn and forced jokes

They just can't write mundane anymore. It's all schlock and joke hamming to keep you entertained.
>>
I like the idea of casting Leslie Jones as a scientist in some kind of movie. Several black women were among first women admitted to Caltech when Caltech began to admit women. Black women have worked in the space program. They can be space geeks and sci-fi fans too. The story of female nerds in general, and black female nerds in particular, is deep and carries a lot of both comedic and dramatic potential.
>>
>>72093350

To be fair IRL Sandler has a hot wife and wacky friends.
>>
>>72091921
The Playstation? They're just as dirty as awful as movie division, they're just able to brand themselves better and Sony fanboyism is cult level loyalty.

Take in point the PS4, it was going to do a lot of things the Xbone was cruxified for. (Couldn't play used games, always have an online connection to play any game, need to pay to play online, etc.) And when the Xbone was officially revealed, it predictably got bashed to hell and back, so Sony immediately dumped the can't play used games and need to be online always angle and quickly put the have to pay to play online into fine print and made themselves look like the heroes of gaming, even though just hours before their plan was the same as Microsofts. And people ate it up. plus their 'games' are just SJW wet dreams now Where they are just movies with minor interactive moments and they shoehorn in minorities because they can. (Never mind the fact that you have villian in the latest uncharted game that's a black woman who beats up both the protag and his buddy single handedly multiple times even though the two of them can take on 10 men at once in a brawl.) Oh and it's a quick time event fight where if you do it wrong, you get beat up and a game over. If you do it right, you still get beat up, just not left for dead.

tl;dr Sony's playstation brand is just as cancerous, it's just they have no real competition based on the market unlike in movies.
>>
>>72091837
Oh no! Please don't spend your money on it! That would upset me and the rest of my frat so much brah, please bro don't go see it multiple times! I just couldn't take it broseph
>>
File: 1466101966650.gif (1 MB, 756x351) Image search: [Google]
1466101966650.gif
1 MB, 756x351
>>72093313
Listen, anon, they drew the battle line here, not me.

I was perfectly happy to let this dissolve away as yet another inferior re-make-boot-imagining-whatever, but then they started calling me a mouth breather and a baby man, saying the movie just isn't for me.

Well, if the movie isn't for me, I'm not going to see it. I'll let its audience see it.
>>
>i-i-it's going to be huge success because you sexist neckbeards couldn't stop attacking it
Haha, fucking retards. People don't go to movies because someone offended them on the internet.
>>
>>72092077
Angry birds had a $500 million promotional budget though.
>>
>>72093419

To be fair everyone talking shit about it is better than everyone just pretending it never happened AKA Point Break.
>>
>>72090795
And that whole "censoring female critics who spoke out against the film" thing.

http://tenaflyviper.tumblr.com/post/140608023070/horhardaho-jennysjetpack
>>
>>72092072

2 skooky for the chinks

but actually they wont show bones and blood

kinda dishonoring the ancestors or sum shit like that
>>
File: 1464068793575.jpg (78 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
1464068793575.jpg
78 KB, 640x427
>>72093082
Please kill yourself. A retard shouldn't procreate, let alone raise the affronts to God itself.
>>
>>72093545
>>72093512
>>72093507
>>72093474
>>72093449

When I was eight, I tore a card from Time Magazine, lied about my age and ordered a complete set of Young People's Science Encyclopedias. Luckily my father was not worried about this PC thing back then. He was just excited to have a daughter who was a science geek. Maybe you could try to be excited too.
>>
>why would you go and alienate that core group?”

because the core group is fucking evil and needs to be overcome?
>>
>>72093519
If they'd spend $500 million on Angry Birds, what's the over/under on them spending a similar amount on GhostJUSTers and underplaying it in the media?
>>
File: triggered-600x524.png (786 KB, 600x1359) Image search: [Google]
triggered-600x524.png
786 KB, 600x1359
>>72093507
>>
men: get out of this /tv/ thread
no one cares if you liked it or not.

not everyone is dying to hear your uninformed take on every issue, happening, or artistic event that is reported here
maybe it wasn't being marketed to you. ever think of that?
>>
>>72093572
>Maybe you could try to be excited too.
Why should anyone be excited for a bad movie?
You dont think that young women deserve better than that?
Fucking sexists piece of shit
>>
>>72093592
>the group that would have made this project money needed to be crushed.

Sony marketing everyone.
>>
>>72093225
Watched it yesterday with some friends and we had a decent turn out. Almost as much as Zootopia on its third weekend!
>>
>>72093628

No, you don't love women. That's like a racist saying he "has black friends." You spew a lot of men-are-better comments and say you won't 'apologize' and then try to say that you "love women." Yeah -- only if they stay in their place. But you do say one thing here I'm happy about -- that movies are dead to you. Yay! The fewer people (especially women) who have to run into you in a theater, the way way better.
>>
File: 1468608289123.jpg (44 KB, 298x640) Image search: [Google]
1468608289123.jpg
44 KB, 298x640
>>72093572
...And what does this have to do with Ghostbusters?

If you wanted to be a ghostbuster as a kid, nobody could stop you or argue that you couldn't be.
>>
File: 1467332331379.jpg (59 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1467332331379.jpg
59 KB, 960x720
>>72093572
>Maybe you could try to be excited too
About what, a shitty movie?
>>
>>72093572
And when you were 13 you lied about being a woman on 4chan.
>>
Having seen (and really enjoyed) the movie earlier this evening, I have to conclude that the negative comments I've read in the run-up to the film's release were motivated either by sexist misogynists with zero respect for some of our finest female comedians or closed-minded aficionados of the original who view it thru rose-tinted lenses every time it reruns on basic cable. This reimagining is a lot of fun, paying repeated homage where due to the original while providing much more interesting characterizations. The special effects are (understandably) light-years ahead of the original as well, which makes the admittedly overlong confrontations between the Ghost Girls and their spectral nemeses quite enjoyable. Paul Feig has made another really enjoyable, if somewhat ephemeral feature and though Kate McKinnoon is fine, we will likely look back on her 2016 as the year she managed to make HRC seem almost human.
>>
>>72093665
>No, you don't love women
How do you know anything about me or what i love? Also stop being an ableist asshole and assuming i am a man or even a straight man, fucking CIS-scum
>movies are dead to you
nope only bad ones
>>
>>72090684
This. There's a big difference between "box office bomb" and "shitty studio investment that has a lousy ROI." Between modest box office performance, product licensing (the studio isn't the one producing the bargain bin toys, ya know), and streaming/rentals/Blu-Ray sales, it'll either make its money back, or be a relatively small loss. This will be looked back at as a misguided attempt at a money-grab similar to Ninja Tutles 2, not a total studio humiliation like Tomorrowland or Jupiter Ascending.

That being said, for a movie that was made specifically to prove that studios can make a summer blockbuster by pandering to 19 year old rainbow haired land whales who read Jezebel, I think the "lol maybe not" returns its receiving (instead of the "bwahahahahahaha suck it" you all are saying it will get) it a completely just outcome.
>>
File: 1468608536419.jpg (110 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1468608536419.jpg
110 KB, 800x800
>>72093519

IF GHOSTBUSTERS HAD A $0 PROMOTIONAL BUDGET IT WOULD STILL HAVE TO MAKE $300 MILLION WORLDWIDE TO RECOUP ITS PRODUCTION BUDGET

YOU THINK IT'LL EVEN GET THERE?

PS, IRL IT NEEDS TO MAKE $600 MILLION TO BREAK EVEN (IE BEFORE IT MAKES A SINGLE CENT OF PROFIT)

ENJOY YOUR FLOP SONY :^)
>>
File: Winking Peps.png (42 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Winking Peps.png
42 KB, 200x200
Sony's going to spin this is as the "Highest grossing live-action comedy with an all-female cast" because Disney has literally every other category for themselves.
>>
>>72093769
SHUTUP YOU MISOGYNIST BABYMAN
>>
File: what a crock of shit.jpg (23 KB, 362x362) Image search: [Google]
what a crock of shit.jpg
23 KB, 362x362
>it's not the (women) actors' fault

>it's the writers' fault for making it for kids!

I am so glad I live in an age where software piracy is mainstream and people just download movies to see if they're shit.
>>
File: 1454569649081.jpg (781 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
1454569649081.jpg
781 KB, 2560x1600
question to americans: how beloved is ghostbusters among the general populace? is it as firmly rooted in contemporary cinema culture as star wars, jurassic park and the like, or is it more of a cable channel cult phenomenon these days? have teenagers seen the original, or is it just some kooky old movie with a bunch of nerd uncles to them? are they even aware of it outside of the theme song? seems to me the franchise hasn't really been relevant in a big way for twenty-five years, or perhaps more
>>
File: 9048902090211212.jpg (772 KB, 1680x1417) Image search: [Google]
9048902090211212.jpg
772 KB, 1680x1417
>>72093417
no. Top critics is only 50%. The positive reviews were largely from SJWs with an agenda to grind.
>>
>>72093774
How is pets doing?

I don't want to see it, but want to see it take the #1 spot.
>>
>>72093182
>The original was not meant for children.

I was 7 when Ghostbusters came out. My mom took me to see it twice. Kids loved it, why do you think they made cartoons and toys in the first place?
>>
>>72093604
The "this is a movie for the little girls" shit totally blew up in their face because obviously little girls never asked for this shit, didn't go see it, parents didn't force -- er-- take them to see it. I think it's time for these PC fucks to stop throwing themselves on the sword for people and groups who literally don't care as much as they thing.
>>
File: image.jpg (115 KB, 749x1098) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115 KB, 749x1098
>>72092765
BvS actually made a 3.5 times its budget profit while this film probably wont even make its production budget back back. SJW's and Sony B T F O
>>
File: 1461552816971.jpg (27 KB, 636x636) Image search: [Google]
1461552816971.jpg
27 KB, 636x636
Reminder that the domestic Box Office numbers are way better than Pixels and that one made $230 without counting China.
>>
>>72093764
A shitty studio investment is breaking even, or ending up with a modest return. Studios don't want small returns, they want big dollars.

A film looking like its going to come up 200+ million dollars short of breaking even is a bust.
>>
>>72093665
I love women but men are better than them. Simple as that.
>>
>>72093859
Number one spot two weeks in a row with half the production budget.
>>
>>72093592
Evil customers are still customers.
Especially if you don't have another viable group of customers to substitute them.

And anyway there's no group of people more evil and destructive than the extreme left, of which the SJW are the latest and more idiotic incarnation.
>>
>>72093885

Who gave Adam Sanfler a knife?
>>
>>72093885
>Reminder that GB needs to make at least 500mil. to break even.
>Reminder that Star Trek is out next week
>Reminder that Suicide Squad, tracking for a 120mil. opening week end is coming very soon.

Ghostbusters isn't even #1 at the box office the week of its release.
>>
File: gnome.png (110 KB, 172x332) Image search: [Google]
gnome.png
110 KB, 172x332
>>72093885
Reminder that Ghostbusters production budget alone was 60+ million dollars more then Pixels.
>>
>>72093844
Everybody knows the song. That much makes it part of cultural phenomenon.

And even on top of that, there are still kid-sized Ghostbusters costumes sold at Halloween, Ghostbusters songs put into Just Dance games. It is as inseparable from our culture as Star Wars.
>>
>>72092315
>estimated
>>
>>72093862
What do you call a coincidental outcome?
A lot of movies that were no meant for child consumption ended up being big hits among children.
Robocop, Terminator, Police Academy, a few more got cartoons, video games, and toylines and they were not meant for children but it was a different time parents weren't coddling their kids from everything. So these movies ended up with massive crossover with kids when they didn't expect it.
>>
>>72091465
Wasn't really that cryptic.
>>
There sure are a lot of fedoras in this comment section.
>>
>>72093968
AND PIXELS CGI WAS ACTUALLY PRETTY GOOD LOOKING
>>
File: DOUSHIO.jpg (97 KB, 604x405) Image search: [Google]
DOUSHIO.jpg
97 KB, 604x405
>>72093417

>uses the word "haters"
>equates thinking Ghostbusters is shit with being racist
>cites All Critics on Rotten Tomatoes despite the fact it has a 60 on Metacritic and a 57% on Top Critics on Rotten Tomatoes

There's other websites you belong on hon, this isn't one of them.
>>
>>72091301
This is what's most baffling to me. The studio throws all their chips into making a GURRRLLL POWER/BLACK WIMMIN CAN BE SMART AND BADASS TOO! fantasy play, then they make the one black chick... an MTA worker "who knows DA STREETS!"

Sure to be an inspiration to young black women for generations to come...

Heroic work, Sony!
>>
>>72094020

it's a videogame sony playstation thing
>>
>>72093872
That still amuses me. The fact not just random fags on the internet thought this but Paul Feign thought this too. Most little girls had no idea what a Ghostbusters is, hell most little boys didn't. These progressives just want a cause to fight for even where there is no need for it. In the end I think it was just Feig bullshitting and trying to give a reason for taking a reboot assignment for a movie he had no knowledge of or no passion for.
>>
>>72093862
>>72093182
It was meant for all ages retards. Adults could get the deeper humor, the kids loved the action scenes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc0NMJyTc0g
Who didn't want to be ghostbuster as a kid after watching this when everyone in the crowd was chanting 'Ghostbusters'?

>You now realize they also did multiculteralism right in that scene without shoving it down your throat.

>>72093940
Do we have numbers to confirm it'll take the top spot? I'm seriously believing Sony might have used some of their marketing budget to buy tickets for ghostbusters to make it the #1 movie of the weekend. Because they're just that underhanded to try something like that.
>>
File: 1462342190881.jpg (123 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
1462342190881.jpg
123 KB, 450x300
>>72093965
>GB needs to make at least 500mil. to break even.

That's wrong.

The budget is 144 mil + 100 mil from marketing. It only needs 250 million to break even.
>>
>>72093625
kek
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrhpG67XA-8

THIS COST LESS THAN GHOSTBUSTERS TO MAKE! AND WE ALL KNOW THAT ADAM SANDLER MOVIES HAVE A +60 MILLION PAY MY FRIENDS MONEY TAX!!

>>72094133

>low quality bait.jpg
>>
File: elite.gif (1 MB, 337x206) Image search: [Google]
elite.gif
1 MB, 337x206
>Treat their core audience and men like shit leading up to the release
>A few days out Feig and Co. switch gears and start asking everyone to go see it.
>Box office results are disappointing.
>Box office shows the biggest demo is older women, which is a death sentence.
>Back to treating like 80% of their audience like shit.

Bravo Amy. Bravo Paul.
>>
Most of the commenters remark that the original "Ghostbusters" was so very good that it should never have been re-made, which leads me to believe that they must have been living in (man) caves for the last 30 years. Re-makes are Hollywood's bread-and-butter (Dawn of the Dead, Ocean's Eleven, War of the Worlds, 12 Monkeys, and hundreds more). Did these objectors protest when other film classics were re-made, or is it simply because they see some kind of "feminist" message in the all-female cast (no woman I know sees the new Ghostbuters as anything but yet another re-make). On another site, a man claimed that the new "Ghostbuters" had ruined his childhood memories. Sorry, it's not a time-traveling movie so it cannot go back and ruin any part of your childhood--and if you are this upset about a movie re-make, you're probably still enjoying your childhood.
>>
File: professional feminist.jpg (37 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
professional feminist.jpg
37 KB, 640x480
>>72094037
TRUE, LOOKS LIKE THEYRE PASTING SHILL COMMENTS FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE
>>
It probably is closer to 500m.

Studios only tend to get around 50% of box office.
>>
>>72093999
>it was a different time
Remember when every rated are action movie got a video game release?
But you have a point most of those movies weren't aimed towards kids but parents back then weren't pussies. I'm glad my mom didn't care and I could watch movies I wanted. And I didn't become a mass murder or anything from it.
>>
File: 1457438664019.jpg (42 KB, 800x587) Image search: [Google]
1457438664019.jpg
42 KB, 800x587
>>72094154
>posting facts is bait

Spotted the /v/edditor
>>
REMINDER

http://www.vulture.com/2016/07/paul-feig-ghostbusters-reboot-c-v-r.html

>As opening day approaches, Feig can’t help but think about the stakes of making a $150 million movie. “A movie like this has to at least get to like $500 million worldwide, and that’s probably low,” he says. “But the thing I care about most is the industry looking for an excuse to say, ‘See, a tentpole can’t be carried by female leads’” — three of whom are over 40. “I cashed in all my chips,” he says. “I had to use every chip to make this happen. And if this doesn’t work, I will probably have to go back to movie jail.”

>A movie like this has to at least get to like $500 million worldwide, and that’s probably low,”
>>
>>72094169

Xe is right though.
>>
>>72094037
>this comment section
Way to out yourself as not being from this website.
>>
>>72093250
I'm sorry I thought the Ultimate Edition would improve the film
>>
>>72094238

That's the same thing as Batman v Superman needing 1 billion to be considered a success.

The film made profit, but it's not the success people were expecting.
>>
>>72088850
That's amazing that someone recognizes the original ghostbusters wasn't anything, but a perfect comedy movie with a bunch of funny people fighting ghosts.

This new movie is too caught up in decades of hype and nostalgia and completely misses the fucking mark by a million miles.
>>
>>72094282

Batman V Superman needed 800 - 900 million to hit even
>>
>>72093523
Haha, no one talks about the Point Break reboot. It must've been a major piece of shit.
>>
>>72094238
>>72094282
Well, that has to do with all of the marketing and business people pushing out the entertainers and only wanting to make ALL of the money, not some money.

Hence how a $700+ mil box office can disappoint them.
>>
Movies that women would rather go see than Ghostbusters:

Tarzan
>Alex Skarsgard

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates
>Garbage-tier comedy film

Movies that parents would rather take their kids to than Ghostbusters:

Finding Dory
>Disney Pixar

The Secret Life of Pets
>CG Animals doing the same annoying reactionary topical "comedy" as every other CG children's movie

Ghostbusters was Dead on Arrival even without alienating half its audience.
>>
File: 1460586012910.jpg (220 KB, 1269x1269) Image search: [Google]
1460586012910.jpg
220 KB, 1269x1269
>>72094315
>ghostbusters
>perfect comedy
>>
File: z2CvR6.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
z2CvR6.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>72094133
>The budget is 144 mil + 100 mil from marketing. It only needs 250 million to break even.

144 million for production
150 million for marketing
Add interest on production loans
Multiply by two to break even.
Adjust ticket returns based on foreign BO (25% in some cases) and individual distribution/chain deals.

Hitting anything less then 500 million in ww retuns would be considered a failure.
>>
>>72094168
Did he just knock himself out, or did he break his spine doing that?
>>
>>72093844
It's a very popular movie and has stayed popular for decades, through home video, television and cartoon spinoffs for kids.
>>
Hillary's presidential run was dependent on this movie's success.

Trump 2016.
>>
>>72094343
>Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates
If this movie did better financially I'm going to die from laughter.
>>
>>72094282

>The film carries a massive $144 million price tag, plus at least $100 million more in marketing costs.
>>
File: 1468712685680.jpg (910 KB, 2058x4416) Image search: [Google]
1468712685680.jpg
910 KB, 2058x4416
Cinemas are empty on first screening of Ghostbusters.
>>
>>72094324

That's according to an estimate that said that the film total cost was 400 million and inflating the share cinemas get.
>>
File: 1468075405620.webm (82 KB, 302x356) Image search: [Google]
1468075405620.webm
82 KB, 302x356
yfw Lawrence of Arabia cost like $115 million adjusted for inflation
>>
File: 1462832362924.jpg (68 KB, 304x423) Image search: [Google]
1462832362924.jpg
68 KB, 304x423
>>72094389
Remember Judd Apajew said all the people who were against this movie were Trump supporters.
>>
>>72094343
>Tarzan

You went too far with this one though. That movie is an even bigger flop.
>>
>>72088850
>Both Mad Max and Casino Royale could easily depend on overseas ticket sales; neither alienated their core fan bases, not to mention more critics loved Mad Max than Ghostbusters; and the George Miller movie went on to earn 10 Oscar noms including Best Picture and six wins.
>neither alienated their core fan bases,

Seriously, I don't get why Sony allowed this to happen.
>>
>>72094282
BvS rolled a lot of their production costs for Justice League into BvS. It needed a massive box office return to account for that.
>>
File: 1468018125299.jpg (302 KB, 992x744) Image search: [Google]
1468018125299.jpg
302 KB, 992x744
>>72094389
TYBT
>>
>>72094133
Do you think its going to rake in even 250m+ when the next Star Trek and Ice Age film is out next week?
>>
File: 1455918955023.jpg (236 KB, 691x625) Image search: [Google]
1455918955023.jpg
236 KB, 691x625
>>72094361
>150 million for marketing

You literally just pulled that out of your ass.

Also the 100 mil estimate is also just an estimate, they probably saved millions thanks to /tv/ constant shilling.
>>
>>72094461
Everyone expected that to flop. The rumor is the studio bosses just wanted to see Eric from True Blood half naked a lot.
>>
>>72094133
It needs to make 500 mil to be considered a success and guarantee a sequel faggot.
>>
>>72094363
Knocked him self out by the look of it
>>
>>72094471
>BvS rolled a lot of their production costs for Justice League into BvS. It needed a massive box office return to account for that.

That would explain why they didn't executed Snyder on the spot.
>>
>>72092185
>A sequel to a movie that at best breaks even? Ok then. It's a definite that a sequel would make even less.

Sony is that retarded, I wouldn't be surprised honestly.
>>
What did the $150 million go on? The effects were shit.
>>
>>72093744
>zero respect for some of our finest female comedians
I see no Tina Fey or Amy Poehler in this movie. The fact that you would call Leslie Jones one of our "finest female comedians" is a fucking slap in the face to women comedians everywhere.

If you wanted an all-female cast, I'm not throwing Wiig in there because her comedy is flat as a board. I'm also not throwing Jones in there because her schtick is being loud and angry. Replace Wiig with Fey, Jones with Aisha Tyler (who would be a better straight man than Jones would), and recast Thor with someone more like Rick Moranis. Hell, throw Rami Malek in there so you've got a good actor and someone who fits the nerdy role.

There, half of the problem solved.
>>
File: int meems.jpg (5 KB, 170x250) Image search: [Google]
int meems.jpg
5 KB, 170x250
>>72094133
>It only needs 250 million to break even.

>THINKS STUDIOS GET 100% OF THE BOX OFFICE GROSS

250 X 2 = 500

TO BREAK EVEN! FORGET ABOUT PROFIT

L M A O @SONY
>>
>>72094585
Actors and advertisement will eat most of a budget. Especially advertisement.
>>
>>72094610
Don't reply to spam.
>>
>>72094462
Because they are idiots. They're so fucking stupid that even with Marvel co-working on the new Spiderman movie, they're still pushing for a Sinister Six franchise despite the fact that to set that up they'll take so much away from Homecoming.

Sony is run by fucking idiots.
>>
>>72090684
Yes technically not a bomb and will probably break even but for a movie that was suposed to spawn a new franchise with sequels and spinoffs that's fucking pathetic.

Sony is stupid enough to make a sequel, tho.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 76

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.