[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Best Years of Our Lives
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Best Years of Our Lives, The_03.jpg (599 KB, 736x1134) Image search: [Google]
Best Years of Our Lives, The_03.jpg
599 KB, 736x1134
Seeing this at the movie theater in a few hours. How is it /tv/?
>>
It's a three hour classic about America's fallout after WWII and who and what it affected.

For everything it won and for popular it was in 1946, it's not talked about enough today. Mostly because it has no real famous lines or big climax. It's still a great film that stands in my personal top 20.

Also in the first 15-20 minutes there's a great reunion scene that some other films could end on, but the fact that it's just the beginning is what makes it bittersweet.
>>
It's not memey enough for anyone else to care tho.
>>
>>72087382

sounds boring as fck
>>
>>72087382
OP here, thanks. You'll be happy to now that it's more popular than you think, at least where I live. There will be more than 50 people attending the screening, which is a damn great turn out for a 70 year old film that isn't It's a Wonderful Life. Even so I imagine the age group will be 50+

Anyway I'm hyped, though I sincerely wish the movie had an intermission. It's almost 3 hours long and there's no way I'll be able to last without going to can at least once
>>
it's good but not anything particularly special. Wyler rarely does anything interesting behind the camera, but I do enjoy how much time it takes with the three central characters for what is essentially a kitchen-sink drama. Teresa Wright is as adorable as ever.

The final scene elevates the rest of the movie in my opinion
>>
I'm not even american and I really enjoyed it.
A great film, have fun OP
>>
I watched it a few years back when I had the idea of watching every classic Best Picture. I couldn't help but leave it a little sad thinking how we've absolutely lost optimism in the future and it hasn't returned after the edgy 90s.

Of course it's silly to think life was sufficiently better in the 1940s (although I truly wish we'd go back to dressing nicely as a society). There was still misery, there was drugs and beaten wives and children. But it just didn't seem like life was so negative.
>>
>>72088488
Wyler is one of those studio directors who firmly believed in letting the story and actors carry the film, unlike what Billy Wilder might derisively call "showing off." Not that there's anything wrong with that, but there's also nothing wrong with a workmanlike director who simply shoots and cuts and follows rules of the Classical Narrative Style
>>
It has really great cinematography without showing off, seriously the scene with the phone call in the diner and the final scene make really great use of the frame. The storylines are really well done and it's surprisingly low key and thoughtful for a 40s movie.

Personally for me it's a 9/10 although it's definitely too long which you might feel more in the theatre.
>>
>>72088805

I forgot to add, but the cinematography is by the same guy who did citizen kane, it's a really beautiful film.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.