[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why are B&W movies so much aesthetically pleasing than color
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: man-with-a-movie-camera-1.jpg (159 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
man-with-a-movie-camera-1.jpg
159 KB, 1280x720
why are B&W movies so much aesthetically pleasing than color movies?
>>
>>72054400
probably because you're a pleb who just "got into" film within the last year and are comparing very small sample sizes and are prone to sampling error, leading you to believe such a stupid thing
>>
so if i take a color film and turn down the saturation in MPC, it gets better? do explain, OP.
>>
>>72054439
/thread
>>
File: The.Red.Shoes.1948 (2).webm (2 MB, 992x720) Image search: [Google]
The.Red.Shoes.1948 (2).webm
2 MB, 992x720
>>72054400
I prefer them for sure. I think black-and-white gives films an otherworldly, larger-than-life vibe that enhances my enjoyment.

Old Technicolor films are objectively the most beautiful though
>>
>>72054734
one of my favourite movies, alongside A Matter of Life and Death
thanks for reminding me to finish watching powell/pressburgers filmography
>>
Here's a related question? Why were 70s movies almost uniformly ugly and drab? That desaturated earth tone color pallets and grainy handheld works makes 9/10 New Hollywood films look the same
>>
>>72054973
Yeah, I hate it. I'm pretty the late sixties is when they came out with cheap and affordable color cameras which is why B&W quickly died. I think everyone started using this cheap cameras with shitty film stock which is why so many films in that period look like ass.

Then in the eighties the technology improved immensely
>>
Probably because your tiny peanut brian doellllllll h
>>
>>72054477
Just about every black and white film produced after 1950 took careful consideration in shooting in B & W, even avoid filming colours like green that show up shitty in B & W. Post is you can't just take some colour film and expect it to look good in B & W.
>>
Because you dislike colors?
>>
Humans dream in black and white. Who doesn't know this?
>>
>>72054973
Because of the 70s fashion, hairstyles and mustaches.
>>
>>72055613
>Humans dream in black and white
Wut?
>>
>>72055161
>color cameras
>>
>>72055780
What about them? Are you implying they didn't exist?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.