[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Had it not been for Disney, these two characters would have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: batman-superman-header2.jpg (42 KB, 640x357) Image search: [Google]
batman-superman-header2.jpg
42 KB, 640x357
>Had it not been for Disney, these two characters would have gone Public Domain in 2013 and 2014 respectively.
Why does Disney ruin everything?
>>
>>72041049
After Walt Disney died the few amount of Jews already at the company quickly hired many more to completely overtake the company.

So the answer to your question is money.
>>
>>72041049
Disney?
>>
>>72041123
It was Disney's lobbying that extended US copyright law an extra 20 years in 2003.
>>
>>72041123
The company has been working around the clock to fuck the American public out of our birthrights for decades. White culture is owned by corporations because these greedy kikes.
>>
>>72041211
Ok.
So DC wouldn't have continued to own them?
I'm no expert on public domain works, but I was sure one of the caveats was that the ownership of the copyright be uncontested. DC would own the copyright, so public domain stus would be x time after the copyright was last renewed.
>>
>>72041349
Essentially yeah. Once its in the public domain anybody can do anything they want with the property. (Kinda-sorta)

It's why you see so many cartoons and books use classic characters, like Dracula, Frankenstein's monster, Moby Dick, etc. etc.

If the copyright law wasn't extended, Batman and Superman would have just become considered cultural icons (like they fucking ARE) that can't be owned by own company.
>>
>>72041349
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiEXgpp37No
>>
>>72041088
jews don't run disney, gays run disney
>>
>>72041551
No that's applel
>>
>>72041480
That doesn't really answer my question though.

DC still own, ie contest the copyright. Meaning regardless of time passed, they wouldn't become public domain until DC ceases to renew the copyright.

Older publications may be public domain, but not the characters.

As an example, the works of HP Lovecraft would have been public domain, if not for August Derleth and the publishing house Arkham House. So long as Arkham House contests the copyright, Lovecraft won't become public domain.
>>
They only did to keep Mickey Mouse a Disney's property
>>
>>72041602
You can only renew a copyright so much. After so much time (67 years as of now), it enters public domain.

Trademarking is a whole different entity that I don't understand much of, so I can't help you there.
>>
>>72041708
No, that's not how it works.

A copyright must be UNCONTESTED for x amount of time before it enters public domain.
>>
>mfw because of Disney Peter and the Wolf the composition got yanked back out of public domain and bought up by some rich fuck with no affiliation whatsoever to its creator

Honestly intellectual property laws should expire on death of the author. If I make something culturally iconic I'm not gonna give a fuck what happens with it after I'm dead it's like donating your body to science.
>>
>>72041759
And that's the crux of it all-- characters like Mickey Mouse, Batman and Superman are easy to protect as long as their owners have a good legal team. Sometimes people make mistakes and forget to renew stuff like certain old cartoons and movies and they go public domain, but a billion dollar a year franchise is going to be guarded like Fort Knox.
>>
>>72041759
Only after a certain date. Works between 1923 and 1977 don't have that protection, due to how copyright laws changed.
Anything made between 1964 and 1977 can be renewed (seemingly indefinitely?)

Meaning, Superman and Batman, for example, should have been eligible. However due to the extensions, they have not.
>>
>>72041811
That is already how it works. In all these cases, ownership passed to a company. That was the case pre disney.
>>72041856
I'd agree but for the good legal team part. It's not like they exploit some loophole to keep ownership, they are just owners.
>>
>>72041925
Which is odd given my Lovecraft example which predates Disney, is between 23-77 and hasn't passed to public domain as Arkham House still own them.
>>
>>72041811
How the hell do you remove something from the public domain? Who do you even pay...?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.