[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Todd Solondz so utterly gifted at making me feel sorry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Dark-Horse.jpg (55 KB, 605x451) Image search: [Google]
Dark-Horse.jpg
55 KB, 605x451
Why is Todd Solondz so utterly gifted at making me feel sorry for people who don't deserve sympathy?

I was incredibly moved by this movie, even though the main character is a horrible person in nearly every way. His spiel about how nobody really cares was incredibly heartbreaking. I wanted him to succeed even though he didn't really deserve success.
>>
DUDE PEOPLE ARE TERRIBLE TO EACH OTHER AND THE WORLD IS AN AWFUL PLACE LMAO
>>
>>72025231
It's not too late. A lot of your problems are caused by you. Step into the sun, anon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giSGcgHGi_Y
>>
>>72025317
Why is the Toys R Us logo blurred out? Is it like that in the actual film?
>>
>>72025448
Yes. I think while that Toys R Us franchise agreed to be filmed, the corporation said "no dice".
>>
Welcome to the Dollhouse > Dark Horse > Happiness > Wiener-Dog > Palindromes > Life During Wartime > Fear, Anxiety, Depression > Storytelling
>>
>>72025933
the first film in storytelling is by far his best, whereas Nonfiction among his worst. Still I would rate the film as a whole towards top of his filmography
>>
>>72026100
It was a bit too short to have a real impact but I agree it was the best part of the movie. Nonfiction was pretty childish, almost what I'd picture a Solondz copycat trying to write.
>>
I felt no sympathy for him at all. All his problems were caused by his own actions, and he was so consistently repellent that any times he came close to sympathy I couldn't do it
>>
>>72026358
>All his problems were caused by his own actions
that's true but we don't know everything about his past even though some hints are dropped. his father and brother were obviously very rough on him, growing up. his older brother was the success, and Abe was supposed to be the artist (hence the dark horse, which he is dubbed by his father). I don't like Abe, but I can somewhat understand why he is the way he is, and I wanted his relationship with the Hepatitis B girl to succeed.
>>
>>72026438
I guess.

There was a brief Solondz thread yesterday talking about what makes a character sympathetic, I'm still not sure what it is. Jake LaMotta is my go to "unlikable" character. Meatheaded, egotistical, stubborn, beats his wife, alienates his family; and yet I still feel immense empathy for him. Then I look at the character in Dark Horse who isn't a fraction as bad and I don't care if he wins or loses at all.
>>
>>72026534
Maybe it's because Jake is talented at something, and he achieved something. With Jake you see realized potential in some way: He's a god in the ring and has to lose on purpose to tank his credibility. Abe in Dark Horse is a big slab of unrealized potential, which to me makes him even more of a tragedy than Jake. And Abe isn't very good at much, sure he can "talk at" people and make himself seem like a big shot but it all falls apart under scrutiny. I think I sympathize with Abe because the position he is in is an extreme case of what could happen to any man who doesn't quite know what he wants out of life. It's a cautionary tale I made that Solondz thread yesterday
>>
File: ToddSolondz.jpg (106 KB, 939x565) Image search: [Google]
ToddSolondz.jpg
106 KB, 939x565
anybody ever watch Fear, Anxiety, Depression? it's a movie Solondz would rather everyone forget but it's actually very cute for a debut. free on youtube: (quality is horrible) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nN1Tj3Ac40
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.