[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this series worth rewatching?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3
/TV/ never talks about it but I remember it being p good

Hows about dem neophytitties?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6S158_5vLc
>>
File: jimmyfag enters the thread.gif (3 MB, 363x210) Image search: [Google]
jimmyfag enters the thread.gif
3 MB, 363x210
inb4 Jimmyfag posters shit up the thread
>>
>>72004853
>Is this series worth rewatching?

Wasn't worth watching in the first place.
>>
>>72004853
For the sake of style/cinematography, yes

Don't expect the best plot or writing
>>
The first few two seasons are well worth the rewatch. After that the show is just dropcore.
>>
Gyp Rossetti revived the show
>>
>>72004853
both it's strengths and flaws are more apparent with rewatches.
If you liked it the first time you'll like it better the second.
The rise of the "real world" gangsters (lucky, capone, meyer, bugsy, rothstien) Makes the show more interesting.
>>
i can't believe rothstein died off camera
>>
>>72006547

I know right? They couldn't just have a short montage to bridge the gap of s4 and 5?
>>
>>72004885
Why do people even like jimmy? That guy was a fucking twat.
>>
>>72006671
>Why do people even like jimmy? That guy was a fucking twat.

yeah but he can pull MILFs like nobody's business
>>
I just slogged through season 3 and 4. I basically only kept watching for based Nelson. I didn't even like Jimmy that much but him and Nelson were the only good villains the show ever had.

>Gyp Rossetti

>Dr. Nigger

>I can't even remember his name Eli killed him

All shit tier characters with no reason for us to care about them other than the fact that they posed a threat to Nucky. Which...why do we care about Nucky again. It isn't like the Sopranos where even when Tony was at his worst, his actions were semi-justifiable and in a way his flaws endearing. Nucky is just a rich asshole.
I started season 5....wtf. AR dead offscrean, Chalky in chains for an undisclosed reason as of episode 2. Nucky and Torrio talk about a shooting that happened like 7 years ago as if they hadn't spoken at all in those 7 years.

>So far after two episodes of season 5 no clear villain

Trash again.
>>
>>72005710
The second they introduced Gyp I knew the show was fucked.

Why would thugs follow the lead of a guy willing to kill someone for no reason. If he'll kill a random guy who just helped him, whats to stop him from killing you?
>>
Is season 5 any better than seasons 3 and 4?

I finished season 4 like almost a year ago, and can remember barely thinking anything of it, and had no desire to watch season 5.

Its probably the first show in a while that sucked me in and I actually dropped it before completion. I learned my lesson with the X-files.
>>
The first 3 are worth re-watching. 2 and 3 especially, but if you're going to watch 2 you might as well watch 1 first. Re-watch 4 but skip everything but the Chicago and Masseria scenes.
>>
>>72007302
5 refocuses on Nucky and actually makes him semi-compelling for once, but if 4 made you quit i dont know. It's only 8 episodes if that helps
>>
>>72007302
If you want to see a bunch of characters killed off in a rushed way, watch 5.

5 again is worth it for Chicago. And I think Narcisse had one of the best deaths in the series.

5 is shit because they wrote out Rothstein.
>>
>>72006727
Only his own mom
>>
Richard Harrow had the most unfitting bullshit mishandled character death I've ever seen.

I get it. Now that he finally had something to fight for he couldn't do it. Great, why did they make him murder an innocent. Why did they make him even live through the shootout if he was just gonna die anyway?

Also could Eddie have had a more telegraphed death? This character who's been in the show for 4 seasons and barely had more than 1 line an episode is now a main character! Like come the fuck on.
>>
>>72007418
Still Game of Thrones copied Eddies death scene when the Tommen jumped out the window.

That was the point of Eddies arc that season though. He wanted more responsibility and he couldn't handle it.
>>
>>72007476
He asks for the promotion at the end of one episode and dies at the end of the next.

They could have at least kept him around for a season snitching on Nucky in an Adrianna way, that way his death wouldn't have been so obvious.

Also am I wrong or do we never find out what his note actually says? We only have the (most likely) false translation of that prohi?
>>
>>72007418
>Richard Harrow had the most unfitting bullshit mishandled character death I've ever seen.

Fuck. Talk about throwing away your best character. We still have the shoot out at the Commodores.
>>
Show has good characters, themes, and the ties to history are cool.

Somehow combined with some predictable writing it all measures up to just an average show. Some episodes/seasons much better than others though.
>>
>>72004853
Rewatching it really highlights how shapeless the show really was. At the end of season 2 i thought killing jimmy was a smart, bold move (and i like jimmy). i held out hope that this was a tragedy confidently ending its first act with a bang, to clear the table for even better stuff. but then season 3 introduces literal cartoon villain gyp rosetti. this was exactly where terence winter went from the guy who learned his craft on The Sopranos, to the guy who completely flopped trying to make generic HBO drama #567 Vinyl. All storytelling restraint goes out the window, it's all big gunfights, crazy evil villains, Harrow being le totally badass, etc. Season 4 tried to reel it in a little and sprawl out to be almost like 1920s The Wire, but by then the show was too far gone, and the midget final season made for a clearly premature death. by the end it was clear the writers had no grasp on the series as a whole in terms of storytelling, character, themes, aesthetic, anything. the final ep was a tiny whimpering popcorn fart of an ending.
>>
>>72008095
Season 1 and 2 seem like it should be just the first chapter in an epic. Even if the actual writing wasn't always top tier, the stoylines were pretty cool.

Then you watch the rest of the show hoping they'll fuck off with nucky and show you more nelson
>>
>>72008154
Nelson was based as fuck from beginning to end
>>
It got really boring around the second season, so I dropped it with the intention off marathoning it when it was done, but I'm just not that interested
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr5jSg58Hf4 Satisfying as fuck.
>>
>>72008154
Even Michael Shannon said he was unhappy with the direction Van Alden went.

>“I wasn’t always happy with what was happening with Van Alden. I honestly thought it could have been a lot more interesting,” he told Variety. “I thought it fell into a very repetitive thing, particularly toward the end where he’s just being constantly humiliated and he tries to take it, then he loses his shit and does something bad and then he does it again. It’s a classic structure – it’s almost like a very dour Three Stooges. The great dark secret of humanity is that people love to watch other people squirm. They love to watch other people suffer, which is really strange.”
>>
File: 1446942037517.jpg (83 KB, 412x441) Image search: [Google]
1446942037517.jpg
83 KB, 412x441
>>72008221
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51B-sXtV_6g
>>
>>72007404
>Only his own mom

still counts
>>
>>72005560
I liked season 3.
Season 4 was meh and season 5 was garbage though.
>>
>>72007180
>no clear villain
Kill yourself pleb fuck
>>
Probably up until the massive flashforward. I mean it's an okay show but I'd rather rewatch The Sopranos
>>
>>72004853
It's my all time favorite show. Season 4 is kinda weak in the middle but it ends on a high note
>>
It was complete clusterfuck behind the seasons

First 2 seasons are OK/good

The rest is shit, it's sometimes a rushed mess, othertimes a directionless mess
>>
1>2>3>5>4
>>
>>72007302
5 is the best season togetehr with 2
>>
>>72011432
spot on
>>
>>72011399
Your opinion is shit
>>
>>72011531
It's still shit
>>
I loved it. I miss BE threads on /tv/

Last season sucked hard though. Winter totally gave up on the show. No Rothstein at all? Go fuck yourself, Winter
>>
>>72011553
You have shit taste
>>
>>72004853

Only first 3 seasons.
>>
>>72011566
Last season was great. It sucks that we didn't get a season before that showing Rothstein's death, but they wanted to end it in 1931 because of everything that went down that year like the arrest of Capone and the founding of the five families
>>
>>72004853
You really can't have good Boardwalk threads anymore without Jimmyfags and people who think it's a mess because they're too slow-minded to follow it shitting the thread up
>>
It's basically a cheap Sopranos knockoff with almost the exact same characters yet no actual direction

You can see tits in it. You can also see tits anywhere
>>
>>72004853
Loved it the first time round but haven't bothered to rewatch yet.

Perhaps in a year or two.
>>
>>72007262
Fear.

Pretty simple really.
>>
The first few season were okay.
>>
>>72011566
That was the mistake, they should have had an extra season or two. To show the Atlantic City Conference, Rothsteins death, Lucianos ambush. Still loved the show, but yeah, final season suffered.
>>
>>72012531
It has nothing in common with Sopranos other than gangsters. I'm guessing you've never watched the show
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.