[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do i get better at writing screen plays ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
how do i get better at writing screen plays ?
>>
>>71961526
Stop watching PTA films, they're shit.

Writing talent is something you're mostly born with, but you can become a decent writer with lots of practice, that means reading a ton of scripts (of good movies), watching good movies, and using critical thinking skills to discern what works, what doesn't. Also write, write, and keep writing. Eventually it won't be shit, if you keep improving yourself.
>>
>>71961526
1) Write them
2) (and this is the most important part which can't be stressed enough) FUCKING FINISH THEM
3) Write more of them
4) Go back and re-write the ones from steps 1 and 2
5) Repeat

Do that and you WILL get better. I'm not saying you'll get good, but you'll get better than when you started.
>>
>>71961526
Give up while you still have a chance to do something else.
>>
>>71961526

Tell me more about yourself, OP.

What are you doing to improve?

How many scripts have you read this week?

How many pages do you have so far?

What screenwriting books have you read?
>>
>>71961526

1) Be born into a family or situation with ties to Hollywood
2) Learn how to write
3) Learn how to pitch
4) Use family connections or friend connections to pitch your script
5) Make whatever changes studio wants for profit
6) Become a hack and sink into depression
>>
>>71961746
>(and this is the most important part which can't be stressed enough) FUCKING FINISH THEM

>tfw been calling myself a "writer" for 12 years
>Have never finished one feature length screenplay or novel

How do I stop being such a piece of shit and get more disciplined?
>>
>>71962318
Get off the fucking internet and write.
>>
>>71961602
what are some good films?
>>
>>71962602
I'm at work.
>>
>>71962318
Okay so >>71962602 might sound mean, but he's right. Force yourself to finish even if it sucks. You can always go back and re-write and tweak things on a finished screen play. You can't fix it if you never finish though.
>>
>>71962753
Chinatown
>>
>>71962838
So you can browse 4chan at work, but can't write?
>>
>>71961526
Write screenplays, develop an ear for dialogue and an eye for characterizations, and have above-average intelligence without being too smart
>>
>>71962920
Yeah
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.