[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Something about the unironic nature of all of this, how genuinely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1000x1426) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1000x1426
Something about the unironic nature of all of this, how genuinely strange and bizarre it is, is really fucking charming to me.

The really cheesy acting, effects, fucking ninjas and shit flying around everywhere, Kurt Russell fucking radiating charisma, it's good stuff.

That being said this is as far from Escape From New York as you can get, which I find fascinating since they're gonna be crossing over in a comic later this year.

What do you all think of Big Trouble In Little China and the works of John Carpenter?
>>
Just rewatched this and The Thing, love 'em both.
>>
John Carpenter is a great director on the whole, his audience just dried up somehow sadly. Big Trouble is one of his best, you'd figure Hollywood would applaud the fact the hero is actually a minority and not a fucking WHITE MALE.
>>
>>71946880
Probably one of the greatest funnest movies ever made. Truly patrician taste, OP.
>>
>>71947288
>>71946880
They Live is his best work
>>
>>71947288
I think the fact that the entire movie is a massive racial stereotype kinda cancels that out

But yeah it is kinda funny to look at Wang as the hero, considering how Jack is mostly useless here.
>>
>>71947288

>his audience just dried up somehow sadly

His work is being fully embraced by our generation though, EVERYONE loves his movies now. And rightfully so. Some of his movies might've flopped when they were released, but at least he's lived to see people rediscover and embrace his work
>>
>>71947378
Delete this!
>>
>>71947288
Village of the Damned (1995)
Escape from L.A. (1996)
Vampires (1998)
Ghosts of Mars (2001)
The Ward (2010)

>his audience dried up somehow
>>
>>71947392

>I think the fact that the entire movie is a massive racial stereotype kinda cancels that out

God, you're just the worst type of person
>>
>>71947405
>>71947419
I was talking mostly in terms of box offices numbers, which can sadly hold back a director from being given the same opportunities they would have had to make movies like they did 30 years ago.
>>
>>71947378
Nah, good try though. Super contrarian.
>>
>>71947443
And I'm saying he made bad movies that lead to his box office numbers drying up. It's not a ''somehow'', he had an audience and like Stallone in Cop Land HE BLEW IT
>>
>>71947444
>>71947409
I'm serious, though I do confess I've never seen The Thing
So my opinion might change if I do watch it.
>>
>>71947431
Not that I give a shit, I'm just saying I can see why Diversityshills don't like it.
>>
File: 1446854887541.jpg (25 KB, 331x241) Image search: [Google]
1446854887541.jpg
25 KB, 331x241
I think it's genius for an audience who maybe isn't so knowledgable about how weird kung fu movies could be. Jack burton is the salt of the earth, everyday Joe type who is watching the movie, completely baffled and confused by every single detail. He's like an annoying relative asking questions during the movie, or saying "Should have done this or that". He's completely out of his element without realizing. It's part of what makes him so likable despite being an idiot, because the whole situation is out of OUR understanding too.
>>71947288
Sadly, Carpenter was attacked at the time for stereotyping asians. He mentions in the commentary for this movie that it really made him apathetic to politics, because he was used to conservatives attacking his films, and he was a liberal. He never thought his own party would attack him so awfully.
>>
>>71947489
>The Thing
Go watch it, really well made and not appreciated as much as it is now when it came out.
>>
>>71947494

I have Chinese friends who love this movie. I don't think there's a single person who ever watched this movie and thought "Yup, this seems like it was meant to be a realistic portrayal of Chinatown and all Chinese people." Accusing this movie of racial stereotyping is like saying "The Warriors" makes New York look unsafe. It's fucking fantasy, and it cast many Asian actors in prominent speaking roles
>>
>>71947828
The movie was criticized at the time by some asian groups, before they saw the movie of course. Carpenter asked his actors and they said basically what you said. The movie was good for asian actors, even if it wasn't a "realistic" portrayal. They understood the satire in the movie. Carpenter turned the "white savior" on his head.
>>
Loved this movie growing up. Really gotta rewatch it.
>>
Is this redditcore?
>>
>>71948001
>people are actually discussing it
Yes.
>>
> no one has posted the music video yet

SHAME ON YOU

https://youtu.be/QvYEdmW47gQ
>>
the remake is going to suck

all the asians will be replaced by blacks for diversity
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.