[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whens the last time Hollywood broke your soul >Make a Golden
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 10
File: p170996_p_v8_ak.jpg (384 KB, 960x1440) Image search: [Google]
p170996_p_v8_ak.jpg
384 KB, 960x1440
Whens the last time Hollywood broke your soul

>Make a Golden Compass movie
>Cast and Production Design is literally perfect
>Cut out literally all characterization from the book
>Turns out all that stuff was filmed and cut. Director wanted to release Directors Cut but studio said no
>Film the final act and climax of the book. Cut it from the film, and re edit third act into nonsense.
>Remove all subtext
>Coulda been 3 hour epic like LOTR, instead is not even 2 hours long due to all the cuts
>Movie bombs because studio are cucks and sequels never made.

Fuck New Line so hard
>>
File: 1468257861218.png (342 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1468257861218.png
342 KB, 400x400
>>71935318

>tfw had blocked it out until now

Thanks faggot
>>
>>71935318
Bro it's just a narnia rip off
>>
>>71935318
What was this movie about, something about a girl running away from some bitch?
All I remember was she going in a hot air balloon and a big fight in the snow at the end where they run towards a bunker or some shit.
>>
>>71935318
I heard there was some anti-religious subtext to it? Is that why they cut it?
>>
>>71935428
It's the opposite though. The Narnia series are pro-Christianity while the Dark Materials are explicitly athiest and anti-religion beause the writer is a fedora-tipper.
>>
File: 1408703140629.jpg (54 KB, 535x803) Image search: [Google]
1408703140629.jpg
54 KB, 535x803
>>71935318
>tfw DBR could've been a big star if the movie had become a franchise
>>
>>71936086
She's big alright. Maybe not a big star, but big in other ways.
>>
>>71935318
>Film the final act and climax of the book. Cut it from the film, and re edit third act into nonsense.

fucking why did they do this
>>
>>71935428
but in narnia aslaan is jesus
while in GC they kill god, or god is powerless or something

idk i read it ages ago
>>
>>71936134
Boggles the mind

It was the idea of the guys in charge of New Line

They thought it would be a "good" cliffhanger, and they'd stick the ending at the start of the """"next"""" movie.

Easily one of the most indefensible decisions ever made by a studio exec
>>
>>71935318
shame that dfc qt later became a cowtit monster
>>
greatest kids book series ever
>>
>>71936086
HOLY SHIT WHAT
>>
>>71936323
>Easily one of the most indefensible decisions ever made by a studio exec

>lets make the hobbit into 3 movies and kill smaug 5 minutes into the last movie
>>
File: 1438174516852.jpg (65 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1438174516852.jpg
65 KB, 768x1024
>>71936383
what's wrong, Anon?
>>
>>71936323
>hey Jerry why make $2 Billion USD when we can make $3 Billion USD
I can just see the conversation that led to that decision.
>>
>>71935428
Have you ever read the books? They are incredibly mature, complex and deep, and not really books for children. The studio wanted to turn it into Narnia, this is such a lost opportunity. This franchise could have been incredible.

They fucked it hard.
>>
>>71936134
Studios believing audience couldnt handle a dark mature ending I guess.
>>
>>71936411
God damn she blew up nicely.
>>
>>71936436
It was 10 years too early, though the BBC is doing a television adaptation now, though not much has been heard since it was announced.
>>
>>71936465
im looking forward to the BBC adaptation, like I said though, its a shame they botched the movies because the casting was perfect at the time.
>>
>>71935318
/tv/ are so lazy, why can't we do something about it?
>Harass the cunts on twitter
>Create a petition
>Find a /tv/ equivalent of Milo to act as our spokesperson
>>
Ugh I'd blocked this shitfest out like the time OP's mom touched my nonospot.
>>
>>71936537
Its weird. In the books Mrs Coulter is repeatedly described as a woman with perfect black hair. Yet while reading I kept imagining Nicole Kidman in the role of Mrs Coulter for some reason, and eventually they actually cast her.

Not happy with the casting of Lord Asriel though, he should have been uglier and balder.
>>
>>71936537
Looks like there's been a bit more information since the announcement, they're looking at a 2017 release.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/cult/feature/a789641/his-dark-materials-bbc-tv-series-casting-characters-start-date-everything-you-need-to-know/
>>
File: Dougal.jpg (80 KB, 736x986) Image search: [Google]
Dougal.jpg
80 KB, 736x986
>>71936589
>he should have been uglier and balder
How about this guy?
>>
>>71935318
wtf i hate religion now
>>
Thanks for reminding me I should reread the books.
>>
>>71936613
That's our godslayer alright
>>
>>71935318
>Called the golden compass
>Not even a compass
>>
>>71936664
Northern Lights is a better name. Fuck it, call it His Dark Materials already, even better.
>>
Atheists BTFO

God exist. And he's a winner.
>>
>>71936711
Not being familiar with the books and realizing God gets brutally murdered in the books.
>>
>>71936746
I'm talking about the real world.

God > atheistic fantasy propaganda
>>
>>71936746
As an atheist and fan of the books let me play God's advocate for a bit.

Technically they do not murder God at all, but rather an important arch-angel who has usurped dominion of the worlds.

And either way, any work depicting the so-called murder of God would have to posit that He existed to begin with, and so can't really be called an atheist work in any sense. Anti-deity, maybe, atheist, nah.
>>
>>71936595
This will be crap.
Log gone the days that BBC produced quality series such as Robin Hood and Merlin.
>>
>>71936894
>Atheistic
>fantasy
Choose one
>>
File: 1460608758964.jpg (226 KB, 890x890) Image search: [Google]
1460608758964.jpg
226 KB, 890x890
>>71935318

The moment it became transparent, after a bout of childhood naivety, that Hollywood is practically completely run by Jews
>>
>>71937081
>what is marxism
>>
>>71935455
It's about a little girl finding out that sex is great, litterally /tv/:the book
>>
>>71936971
but is he really a god when he can be killed ?
>>
>>71937039
They're going to make a whole bunch of the characters black.
>>
File: communist faggot.jpg (123 KB, 500x638) Image search: [Google]
communist faggot.jpg
123 KB, 500x638
>>71937133

A Jewish, power tripping totalitarian fantasy ideology to control goyim masses
>>
>>71937186
Homosexuality was illegal in Communist countries
>>
>>71937161
Going by that logic that which was killed would have had to have been just a powerful mythical superbeing, and his or her murder would have no bearing on making either a specifically theistic or atheistic statement at all.

Either way calling it an atheistic novel doesn't really hit the mark.
>>
>>71937207
>NOT REAL COMMUNISM
>>
File: commie tears.jpg (24 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
commie tears.jpg
24 KB, 480x480
>>71937269

This meme gets me every time
>>
i gotta say, they completely ruined the message of ender's game when they threw that opening to the second book in at the end or whatever.

>ender you killed all the bugs congrats
>no i didnt want to kill the bugs

would of been decent ending but then

>i found a surviving bug and im gonna save the bugs
>>
>>71936436
>They are incredibly mature, complex and deep, and not really books for children
a thousand keks
I reread it recently for nostalgia's sake and for that pool scene, which ended up being less interesting than my teenage brain remembered. The books in reality are garbage. Poorly executed plot, real world earth should never have been there. Going to hell was stupid. The whole climax is contrived and the whole fight with the angels is both pointless to the resolution of the plot and felt like he was just making up shit to tie up loose threads. The first book was the only truly good one, there is almost not a single memorable moment outside of it. Also the whole "polar bears that talk don't really have souls like us humans do ;^)" shit made me pretty angry.
>>
>>71937234
I'm not that guy who called it 'atheistic', I just like to philosophize about this kind of shit.
But I can't fully agree with you. Having a being that is considered a god in some universe killed could be a statement- the god was false. Being theistic/atheistic depends on where it goes from there. Is it 'that god was false, but it doesn't mean there is no real god' or is it 'the god was false, therefore there is no god'.
>>
>>71936327
>shame
>>
>>71935318
You'll be happy to know the Catholic Church threatened to boycott the movie if they didn't make all these absurd fuckups then boycotted the movie anyway
>>
>>71936746
>brutally murdered

Dude he literally dissolves into dust because he's ancient and can't take a breeze.

Are you thinking of Metatron?
>>
Catholic Church rant about how fantasy books trigger the fuck out of them:

http://www.catholicleague.org/the-golden-compass/

Press picking up that the poor Catholic Church had someone say something negative about them:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/is-golden-compass-anti-catholic/

Smarmy little smug shit opinion that the film bombed because it sucked, not because of the Catholics while having as much research and depth as a reddit comment not realizing the Church was the one that forced it into shit editing:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2009/dec/15/golden-compass-sam-elliot-catholic-church
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Compass_(film)#Controversies

Attempting to reassure fans of the novels, Weitz said that religion would instead appear in euphemistic terms, yet the decision was criticised by some fans,[34] anti-censorship groups, and the National Secular Society (of which Pullman is an honorary associate), which said "they are taking the heart out of it, losing the point of it, castrating it..."[35] and "this is part of a long-term problem over freedom of speech." The Atlantic Monthly said also "With $180 million at stake, the studio opted to kidnap the book’s body and leave behind its soul."[36] The changes from the novel have been present since Tom Stoppard's rejected version of the script,[14] and Pullman expected the film to be "faithful,"[33] although he also said, "They do know where to put the theology and that’s off the film."

----

On October 7, 2007, the Catholic League called for a boycott of the film.[38] League president William A. Donohue said he would not ordinarily object to the film, but that while the religious elements are diluted from the source material, the film will encourage children to read the novels, which he says denigrate Christianity and promote atheism for children.[39] He cited Pullman telling the Washington Post in 2001 that he is trying to undermine the basis of Christian belief.[40] The League hoped that "the film [would fail] to meet box office expectations and that [Pullman's] books attract few buyers",[41] declaring the boycott campaign a success after a North American opening weekend which was lower than anticipated.

Yeah, I'm still fucking bitter about this film
>>
>>71936411
wat
>>
>>71935318
>movie has to give super evil roundtable guys their own evil pokemon to show how evil their souls are
>one man gets a baby corn snake
im sorry what?
>>
>>71935318
I kind of enjoyed it, not the film of the year but good enough
>>
Don't remember anything about the movie except some cool Bear fight at the end, why do catholics hate it?

Raised catholic, and don't remember anything about the movie bugging me.
>>
File: 1431620908982.jpg (92 KB, 255x288) Image search: [Google]
1431620908982.jpg
92 KB, 255x288
>>71935318
>mfw His Dark Materials is probably my favourite children's book series of all time and this film was butchered
>we will never see Cittagazze on screen
>>
>>71938396
the anti daemon group is easy to draw catholic parallels to is basically it, and the books are heavier on them being more evil badguys, and a clear "not the church, jk totally church"
in the movie though, it could be argued the badguys love their alt universe jesus, but really they're just weirdo wizards in big ole church looking buildings
>>
>>71938396
The series is set in an alternate dimension where the Catholic Church never had a reformation so they are the central authority of the West. Also, souls are called daemons and they are physical animal shoulderbros. The climax of the book was jamming poor orphan Timmy's soul between two electrodes and opening a portal between dimensions.

The movie spazzed the fuck out about Catholic Church references and ended in a clusterfuck
>>
File: 1441113009984.jpg (11 KB, 460x368) Image search: [Google]
1441113009984.jpg
11 KB, 460x368
>>71936051

>section of the church doing bad things means the entire book is bashing religion
>>
>>71939770
The author is an atheist who wants to write fiction to counter Narnia. He's a de facto fedora tipper.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.