[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This year I'm going to audition for acting conservatori
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 240x160
This year I'm going to audition for acting conservatories, and I just started working on audition monologues.

Here's my "dagger" monologue from Macbeth:

https://youtu.be/1bOqWs4do-o

What do you think?
Am I any good?
>>
Wow would ya look at that it didn't even bump. Trying again
>>
Can't bump your own threads nigger.

Thanks for sharing, now I've got more material for cringe threads.
>>
>>71898975
I appreciate negative criticism, but only when it's constructive.
You're just being a dick. I know this is 4chan, but all I'm doing is asking for feedback.
>>
Bumping again
>>
>>71898303
>Not referring to it as the Scottish Play.
You're in for a bad time.
>>
>>71899988
Oh shit looks like I'm not getting into college :(((
>>
Last bump
>>
>>71898303
seriously,
>the scottish play
holy fuck never be an actor
>>
>>71902487
Wait what's so wrong with "the Scottish play"??
>>
>>71902824
nothing call it right if your really getting into acting, jesus christ man how do you fuck that up.
>>
>>71902875
The superstition is only if you're in a theater..
Also I'm just typing not, not saying iy
>>
>>71902935
your really saying you walk into an audition and say
"now i'm going to do the dagger monologue from Macbeth"
no of course not you say
'i'll be doing the dagger monologue from the Scottish play, its just common sense you don't who is or isn't going to be offended
>>
>>71903420
Don't be a faggot by calling it the 'Scottish play.'
Fuck theater superstition and most people involved in it.

I really don't like this soliloquy for expressing acting ability, since most of it is just exposition on Macbeth's action and detailing a knife which the audience can't see. You also eliminated the best parts of the speech, towards the end. The bit about 'Whiles I threat, he lives, words to the heat of deeds too cold breath gives.' which gives you the opportunity to show the depth of the shallow resolve of Macbeth's character.

My gauge on Macbeth's character at this point in the play is that he isn't really in a crazed fear which you seem to be heading towards. The language like 'Thou marshall'st me the way that I was going.' suggest to me that he understands completely the apparitions meaning. Contrasted with Lady Macbeth's blood on her hands where that breaks her, Macbeth here seems to think of the knife as another, albeit gruesome and foreboding, encouragement for him to murder.

Cont.
>>
Hey, OP.

Frankly? It's not good. You're shrill, awkward, your delivery is halting and strained, and you competently lack gravitas. But that makes sense--you are way too young and, well, green for Macbeth.

If you're going to be doing a Shakespeare monologue, pick something within your range, likely a lover. Berowne from Love's Labors Lost would suit you.
>>
>>71903563
>Don't be a faggot by calling it the 'Scottish play.'
Fuck theater superstition and most people involved in it.
If your getting into acting your really going to have a bad time
>>
>>71903585
>>71903420

Honestly, bud, if you're not in the industry it really shouldn't be such a big deal for you. And if your were in the industry, it wouldn't.
>>
>>71903420
>British
>>71903563
>American
>>
>>71903571
Listen to this guy, OP. And if you're serious about auditioning then film it correctly -- get a plain grey backdrop and build a makeshift sound stage. Have the camera sit higher so it's at an neutral angle, too.

My friend just got into NYU's acting program and I was wondering how it was so easy. But if everyone else was as shit as you then I understand now.
>>
>>71903563
Beyond my quibbles about your motivation and the speech itself, I noticed right away that you spaced out quite dramatically on the 'its handle... towards my hand.' I've noticed that a lot of raw Shakespeare actors randomly do this, and I'm curious as to why you chose this line to do so. 'Translating' it to modern English to something like, 'yo, it's facing my hand' and you would sense that the pause would be unnatural. (yo, it's facing ... my hand).

When Macbeth goes to clutch the dagger, he knows immediately he doesn't have it. It isn't like he's catching a bug, more like trying to hold onto a shaft of light. I think having your eyes focus on the nothingness rather than his hand would be more appropriate.

Don't put your head to your head when you initially say 'dagger of the mind.' Your audience won't be stupid, I don't think they need that at the start.

My questions are, What's the most important line to you in the speech? What are the emotions of Macbeth that you are trying to express and how do they change?
>>
>>71903661
Yea man when you grabbed the dagger you acted as if you had it briefly and then it like teleported back. You should be shocked instantly as your hand phases through it.

It was really shit desu you don't have the charisma to pull off a Shakespearean lead. Do you have any other auditions to show us?
>>
>>71903691
>you don't have the charisma to pull off a Shakespearean lead
Bit early I think to say that, I'd like to see him try and do something else that is simpler than Macbeth. Like Angelo's 'The tempter, or the tempted' or something that forces a more subtle delivery like Iago or something.

Macbeth, Hamlet (although 4.iv would probably be doable), Henry V, Lear are all kinda tough for him, I'd agree.
>>
>Over-acting
>Slack-jawed the whole time
>Wheezing
>Awkward cadence
>No subtlety
>Phoney "Shakespearian actor" affected accent and delivery

Literal dogshit
>>
John Barton did a sort of series on acting out Shakespeare which is phenomenal. It is worth watching the entire thing before you start again with a new audition. He had to greatest impact on turning Shakespearean acting from the stagey Olivier to the fluidity which the last 30 years or so has produced.
Start with this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2VnxiW3oqk
>>
>>71903862
>>71898303

Great series. There's a book out, too, same title. Check out Patsy Rodenburg's Speaking Shakespeare, as well,
>>
Speak the speech, I pray you.
>>
>>71898303
I don't understand why, of all places, you would come to 4chan for constructive criticism. You ask if you're 'any good', so naturally people will want to discourage you now.

If what you're really asking is if I can picture you on a stage or screen, then the answer is probably yes, if you toned down your overacting. Work on your pitch as well, since your voice tends to break often. You also tend to dramatically contemplate quite a bit between lines, which indicates that you're not exactly sure what the character may be thinking at that moment. It's a catch-all technique that doesn't actually work.
>>
Only way you're going to make it as an actor in Hollywood is if you're British (or, to a lesser extent, a Kangaroo fucker)
/thread
>>
Cringe thread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjZrDKd1WIM
>>
>>71898303
Currently you lack the gravitas for a major character, let alone Macbeth. Tone down your performance, and most importantly ask somewhere else than 4chan.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.