[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't directors as flashy with their wealth? PTA has
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: pta_joaquin.jpg (145 KB, 670x377) Image search: [Google]
pta_joaquin.jpg
145 KB, 670x377
Why aren't directors as flashy with their wealth? PTA has more money than a lot of big shot actors but you never see his cars or mansions. just wondering why directors are better people
>>
>>71878242
Is Joaquin 'flashy'?
>>
Cus they save it to finance their own movies and then lose it all
>>
PTA is a bizarre creature
he makes some of the most sensitive and nuanced films in the industry and he seems like an absolute dumbass in person
>>
>>71879800
How so
>>
Director's aren't celebrities. Everything about their lives is indistinguishable from actors' except no one is taking photos of the whole thing and posting them on TMZ
>>
>>71879829
Have you ever seen him interviewed? Watch the Q&A from after the 70mm screening of The Master

not a knock against him, he just seems so laid back and apathetic about his movies. maybe it's a mask, but he seems to me more like a stoner video store clerk than the controlled artist he is
>>
Because most directors don't actually make that much. You're super loaded if you're Michael Bay, Christopher Nolan etc. but most of the not so commercial directors, they aren't exactly rich. Many of them make more money from doing the odd commercial and stuff than from directing films.
>>
>>71879903
>laid back and apathetic
What's wrong with that, and why the fuck does that make him a "dumbass"?
>>
It's because for the most part directors aren't popular for paps to cover, so they get to kind of hide away.

Also a lot of them do not live in LA or NYC, instead live in some no-name place.
>>
Actors have a lot more money because they can do a shitload of projects in a year whereas directors do one every 2 or 3 years or more usually.

The process from pre to post production on a film is usually 3 years.
>>
>>71878242
Because the majority of directors aren't in the spotlight, and doesn't make as much cash.

A lot of people become actors and singers because of the fame, or at least that is a big drive for them. While I think a lot more directors do it because they are passionate about making movies. Of course the fame is a great bonus, but even then for every 30 or even 40 actors there is 1 famous director that gets recognized in the streets.

There is a shallowness that comes with being in the spotlight that the behind the scenes creators don't really take part of as much. You know, we have all heard about Taylor Swift or Katy Perry but not many people know about the people who actually make the songs they sing.

That and of course, they aren't as tasty targets for the press.

If James Cameron was seen driving a sports car there wouldn't be 5000 articles about it, but there probably would be if Ryan Gosling was seen doing the same.
>>
>>71879964
there's nothing wrong with that. he just always seems like his work is kind of a joke. if you ask me it's not a bad way to work, but it's a real dissonance with the kind of stuff he writes and directs.
the master, such an extreme, such a reserved, such a complex film, anyone else would be rattling off at people all the genius that went into it and paul just explains as a movie about two guys and kind of leaves it at that.
>>
>>71878242
Directing is the most roundabout avenue to acquiring wealth. You look at PTA's early work and you'd be foolish to think he was trying to bust into Hollywood so he could throw lavish parties. Directing in general requires a huge amount of craftsmanship and faith in the work itself without a guaranteed return, so directors are naturally less likely to have an endgame of being rich and famous, and more likely to just wanna put good work out there. Actors are more likely to be able to just coast on looks and charisma, so naturally they have personalities trending more towards narcissism and a desire to be famous, throw big parties, sex and drugs, etc.
>>
>>71880107
>rattling off at people all the genius that went into it
Almost no good directors behave this way
>>
>>71879905
>Because most directors don't actually make that much

Directors make a lot of money man, next to producers and leading actor, they're not there for charity
>>
>>71879903
>>71879800
that's because he's besties with Tarantino, who talks non-stop over everyone flaunting his autism
You have to be incredibly chilled to deal with that frequently. Especially when you're more talented than him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHQU2W7-QfU
>>
I love his reaction to losing best directing to the coen brothers. I probably watch it like 5 times a month
>>
>>71880452
Only the huge ones who are Box Office draws themselves. Someone like PTA, whose movie flop everytime, won't make much I'm speculating.
>>
>>71880604
just looked it up and it was underwhelming. you must be easily entertained
>>
>>71880452
>>71880611
There was an article on it the other month
On a $100m film, the director makes like $1.5m I think? I'll look it up
>>
>>71880702
Alright, found it
http://nofilmschool.com/2016/06/video-reveals-what-cast-and-crew-earn-200-million-blockbuster-budget
On a £200m budget, a director can expect to make around $4m
But it probably won't scale consistently
So I'd imagine a good director gets that on a high budget and half that on a low budget

tldr; I'd be surprised if most directors had a net worth above $20m, with a lot probably being worth less than $5m
>>
>>71880702
most directors produce and producers get like 15 - 30 % of gross so they rake it in mate
>>
>>71879903
It's because you don't know how to spot actually intelligent people.
>>
>>71880810
>On a £200m budget, a director can expect to make around $4m

Which is, according to your link, more than anyone but the lead actors

It's a fuckload of money, man
>>
>>71880810
Directors gets 250 000-500 000 for their first Hollywood films.
>>
>>71880107
You have a very strange view of things..
>anyone else would be rattling off at people all the genius that went into it
. .
I don't even know how to comment on that. Honestly, you seem pretty clueless.
>>
>>71878242
There was a video of PTA hanging out with Adam Sandler around the time of release of Punch-Drunk Love.

PTA had a big-ass Lexus SUV with full option that probably cost over $150K.
>>
>>71878242
Hi there...

After this, I'm going to spend more money than the government did on containing the Gulf of Mexico oil spill!
>>
Directors are creators, visionaries, and are thus more concerned with the quality of something as opposed to its opulence.

Actors are prettied-up guinea pigs who bark when you tell them to. They don't have the artist's soul, only that of the consumer's.

I have spoken.
>>
>>71885446
"Spoken" a bunch of fetishist bullshit quite frankly.

As if you were so unaware of whatr you are talking about that have never noticed how many actors turn into directing, or how authoral acting can be.

Next that you plan to be authoritharian, avoid being so mediocre aswell.
>>
>>71885956

The prettied-up guinea pig speaks, and squeals with expected fury. 'whatr' and 'aswell' abound in torrents of palpable rage.

I have countered. Calm thy mediocre heart.
>>
>>71886186
I knew your reply would be about my horrible typing, since they are the only thing in my reply on par with your argumentation capabilities.

Still, your cliché narrow ideas are still worthless regarding some of the most interesting actors/filmakers careers.
>>
>>71886296

The would-be guinea pig retorts, citing his typos as fault and not his second-time displayed misuse of grammatic form as reason for the stick that hath poked the soft and timid underbelly of mad.

Shush now, mediocre one. Thou sayeth so much, yet sayeth so little.
>>
>>71886405
unty?
>>
>>71886405
(You). Who confuses being emotionally opinionated with making an argument.
>>
>>71879800
What? He just seems like a lovely guy
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.