[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your opinion on the 1974 Texas Chainsaw Massacre?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8
File: texaschainsawmassacre.jpg (58 KB, 480x309) Image search: [Google]
texaschainsawmassacre.jpg
58 KB, 480x309
What's your opinion on the 1974 Texas Chainsaw Massacre? I personally think it's a great psychological horror.
>>
Horrorkino tbqh
>>
>>71859641
Comedy
>>
>>71859641
One of the few truly scary horror films, along with Alien the first time you watch it and Curse of the Demon
>>
>>71859704
No, that was the one with Dennis Hopper.

Still, both great Tobe Hooper movies.
>>
>>71859641

I watched it last year around Halloween. I was surprised by how intense it was, it actually holds up pretty well desu.
>>
>>71859641
Doesn't hold up well
>>
>>71859641
Good horror movie. It didn't scare me. Instead it filled me with a sense of despair. It has a very grim feeling to it. I've never seen a movie that's captured that feeling again.
>>
>>71859641
she was sooo hot
>>
>>71859757
Same. Watched it a few days ago and the last 20 minutes or so are great.
>>
>>71859728

IIRC, John Carpenter thinks of TCM as primary a comedy. Especially the second half of it.
>>
The only thing that spoils watching it today is that fucking annoying cripple.
>>
>>71859641
It's a pretty good horror film (not great), but "psychological horror" is not a label I'd put on a film featuring a sledgehammer and chainsaw wielding psycho.
>>
>>71860694
He get's killed though, which makes up for it. I like watching crippled people get murdered.
>>
>>71860730

Who doesn't?
>>
>>71859641
It's a metaphor for man's cruelty toward other animals, specifically in the use of slaughter houses and other industries that require animal suffering to be sustained.
>>
>>71859641
Has some of the best commentary tracks I've heard.
>>
One of the greatest horror movies of all time
actually still has a very scary atmosphere today

the style of it almost improves with age
>>
>>71859641

It is an excellent horror film.

In a previous thread on this topic, I was indicating how Leatherface sometimes adopts the role of "mother", both in the original film and in sequels. Strangely, other anons were having a hard time with this straightforward observation - Leatherface is clearly wearing a "woman-wig" in the third act, and in the infamous closing shot, the wig is still on.
>>
>>71859641
I love it. One of the best horror films of all time. The suspense and action are great, and it leaves you with a lot of questions.
I really don't think it's a psychological horror though.
>>
File: image.gif (1023 KB, 500x284) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1023 KB, 500x284
What was his fucking problem?
>>
Everything up through the first two kills is kino. The hitchhiker is the most genuinely scary villain I've seen in a horror movie because he actually seems like an unhinged guy you could encounter in real life. The vibe of that scene is palpable, with the teenagers realizing they shouldn't have let this guy into their van as he gets more and more dangerous. There are great scenes throughout the first act that capture the sense that something is "off" with the characters, but also with the world in a more spiritual or psychic way, like the horoscope about saturn in retrograde was actually true. The scene of the wheelchair guy freaking out while all his friends laugh upstairs, the couple approaching the farmhouse with bold, overstated camera movements while the generator grinds away, it's almost like the opposite of most slasher movies where you meet a bunch of assholes knowing they'll be picked off one by one. Everything actually feels wrong and frightening. The Leatherface reveal/first kill is GOAT too, as is the girl encountering all the fucked up skelly deco in the house.

It falls apart at the end tho, the actor who played the cook wasn't very convincing or scary and you can tell they just ran out of budget in the final scene.
>>
the star of the movie is from my hometown. i still never seen the original though.
>>
>>71860955
I live in Texas and have never seen it.
>>
>>71860941
I can see where you're coming from, but I think the dinner scene is one of the best in horror.
>>
>>71859641
the best horror movie ever

tnx patent office
>>
>>71860640
Source? Not that I'm doubting you, I would just love to hear Carpenter talk about TCM
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 500x279) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 500x279
Could this movie be made today?
>>
File: lol.png (942 KB, 1087x667) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
942 KB, 1087x667
>>71861085
yes, but just in the middle east in every home.
>>
>>71861035

I think I heard it on some podcast where John was promoting his new album and talked about movies for about a half an hour.
>>
>>71861008
Actually yeah, that's a highlight. I still think it generally trends downward in the second half though.
>>
One of the best horror movies ever, and imo the GOAT. Holds up insanely well considering just about every horror movie now not involving hauntings has a theme of twisted characters, torturing, grotesque settings. The first kill and Leatherface reveal is truly disturbing. The body convulsing, the lack of music or "jump scare noise", the shitty sliding door. Fucking intense movie and perfect ending too
>>
File: TCM.gif (989 KB, 500x232) Image search: [Google]
TCM.gif
989 KB, 500x232
>>71859641
It's actually my favorite movie of all time, i love everything about it.
>>
>>71860890
The girl's gradual transition from screaming desperately to laughing, the maniacal dancing and the sudden cut to the end are pure kino.
>>
i liked it when i was shitfaced then watch it again when i was sober and thought it was shit
>>
>>71861185
Brett Easton Ellis'? I heard he was on that recently, haven't gotten around to listening to it.
>>
>>71859641
It was shit. The lead actress had great tits though, shame she didn't bust them out.
>>
>>71859641
It was great but people got used to over glorified garbage and cant appreciate it to its fullest.
>>
>>71861772

That might have been it, yes.
>>
Rented the VHS from the local video store when I was six, father asked me if I was sure and didn't give a shit. Then I tried to watch it alone and barely could reach the end.

Enjoyed a re-watch few years later, and it kinda sealed the genre for me since no other horror could come close to that atmosphere.
>>
>>71859641
Probably one of the best horror movies desu
>>
>>71859641
I actually wrote a paper for one of my film classes, arguing that it is one of the greatest films ever made. No one who watches it is unaffected by it, and the film pulls it off without resorting to cheap gore and shocks, but rather through clever editing, cinematography, and production design.
>>
File: CM_GOAT.gif (1 MB, 180x200) Image search: [Google]
CM_GOAT.gif
1 MB, 180x200
>>71862314
>No one who watches it is unaffected by it
>>
>>71862414
I mean unless you're a hardcore badass.
>>
File: Texas Chainsaw Massacre eye.webm (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Texas Chainsaw Massacre eye.webm
3 MB, 1920x1080
It's magnificent. I should watch it again some time this year.
>>
>>71862414
Or over the age of 8.
>>
>>71862622
This was meant for
>>71862456
>>
File: texas.webm (562 KB, 1074x450) Image search: [Google]
texas.webm
562 KB, 1074x450
I like the 2013 version more desu.
>>
>>71859641
It's good fun. I especially like it when the whiny cripple gets chainsawed.
>>
>>71860890

What did he mean by this?
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.