[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well this movie sucked, are there any good modern horror films?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6
File: 54f8d648c76cb.jpg (42 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
54f8d648c76cb.jpg
42 KB, 750x750
Well this movie sucked, are there any good modern horror films?
>>
Insidious 1 and 2 are pretty scary desu
>>
It doesn't suck, but it's not a horror movie. A few nice horror movie made after 2000:

>We Are Still Here
>The Descent
>Banshee Chapter
>I Can See You
>Grave Encounters (fite me)
>Across the River
>The Nightmare
>GVOZDI (NAILS)
>>
>>71839611
Come on, you can just barely save the first one.
>>
File: 220px-YoureNext2011Film.jpg (9 KB, 220x339) Image search: [Google]
220px-YoureNext2011Film.jpg
9 KB, 220x339
You're Next
>>
>>71839216
This is literally the only modern horror movie I enjoyed, even if it's not perfect.
>>71839611 sucked. And so did the Babadook.
I'll try some of these >>71840400 I guess. Aside from The Descent, that sucked too.
>>
File: 1467870653236.jpg (2 MB, 1885x2590) Image search: [Google]
1467870653236.jpg
2 MB, 1885x2590
>>71839216
what the fuck do you mean by "modern" you crusty cunt
>>
>>71841273
What didn't you like in The Descent and The Babadook? I enjoyed them both.
>>
>>71841341
Babadook turned into Home Alone.
>>
>>71841334
Reccing:

Antichrist
The Call of Cthulhu
the Descent
The House of the Devil
the Orphanage
Noroi. The Curse
Pulse (Kairo)
[REC]

And, of course, Amer, which along with its "sequel" The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears is one of the greatest movie of this century's start.

>>71841428
Yeah, that bit with the child fighting the possessed mother was a bit too cheesy and in your face, although i guess it can be justified by as part of the overall allegory of Despair.
>>
>>71841428
This, and I didn't like how exaggerated the special effects were in the scenes where she saw the Babadook.
I like my horror movies more subtle.
>>
>>71841491
antichrist - pretentious pleb shitAntichrist
The Call of Cthulhu - dunno, sounds gay
the Descent - good stuff tbqh
The House of the Devil - 10/10 until the ending
the Orphanage - boring shit
Noroi. The Curse - boring and pleb (why does this keep getting mentioned??)
Pulse (Kairo) - its good but its quite boring too. few spooks here
[REC] - good stuff tbqh, dat ending spooks

those are my reviews guys, hope you enjoyed it

watch the bay, and mr jones
>>
Insidious movies and conjuring movies and your butt
>>
>>71841570
What do you think about Blair Witch?
>>
>>71839216
the burning (1981) is pretty scary, its about a killer at a summer camp except he uses garden shears to kill, there are some good kills it also, stars george costanza
>>
Carnage Park and Before I Wake are both alright movies from the last few months.
>>
>>71841655
Not him, but I'll use the occasion to repost something I wrote elsewhere about its relationship with the Lovecraftian idea of horror:

IT [the object of horror in Lovecraft] is something utterly removed from your sensibility, something alien you cannot interface with and thus cannot know; you can maybe see and understand its effects (ie, dead people, warped geography, naturally occurring geometries) but those aren't the thing itself, merely its emanations that we interpret with our categories. Lovecraftian entities operate via inhuman (Reza Negarestani dubs them Cthulhoid in his book Cyclonopedia) logic and ethics that can't be perfectly overlaid to ours, they have a life of their own in the most complete sense - so does the Witch, since its "logic" is just a humanocentric superimposition made by the bumbling fucktards in the movie. They create a map and stick to it regardless of its (impossible?) actual adherence to the territory.
>>
File: krampus.jpg (290 KB, 1024x1637) Image search: [Google]
krampus.jpg
290 KB, 1024x1637
>>71841160
one of my favorite films of the past few years, also pic related
>>
>>71842051
Oh god, I had a friend who found out about this fucking movie and raved about it for months just because the same night he had seen a video of those finnish krampus festivals. He was unsufferable.

As far as I know he hasn't watched it yet. The fucker.
>>
>>71840400
I didnt really enjoy the film it was a cool premise but they way it played out felt a bit stupid, why didnt the guy just sleep with a prostitute and the ending was also extremely predictable.

Thanks for the list too.
>>
>>71841920
So, in short terms. What do you don't see is what's really scary. Due to your imagination of how the "witch" in this case, might look like.
>>
>>71839611
Insidious 2 sucked

Don't even remember the first one
>>
>>71842144
>krampus
>finnish

and how is only 1 guy mentioning The Conjuring? both ones are great
>>
>>71842192
Uh, it goes a bit further than that, at least for me - what's scary is that you understand the effects of the thing you're encountering through your logic (as in, the logic inherent in humans due to how they just ARE as livig beings), but you have a sense that you're not even remotely understanding the whole thing, you're just interpreting a part of it. Like, the kids in the movie think they have disturbed the witch because they moved around the little piles of stone, but that's not strictly true, it's merely how they give meaning to the fact they find other piles of stone outside the tent; they're thinking about what THEY'd do, because they can't think outside their humanity.
>>
File: 6rGBQuL.gif (2 MB, 350x199) Image search: [Google]
6rGBQuL.gif
2 MB, 350x199
>>71842370
>>
>>71842367
they're both very average, though I guess they're "great" in the context of shitty modern horror
>>
>>71842367
Dunno, he told me it was Finnish. What is it actually?
>>
File: TheBurningfinal.jpg (181 KB, 696x1044) Image search: [Google]
TheBurningfinal.jpg
181 KB, 696x1044
>>71841813
>the burning (1981) is pretty scary
I really liked that this movie had such a big cast, and a good number of extras, but too many of the scares were "musical cue" scares.

The poster is one of the greatest horror posters of all time.
>>
>>71839216
I liked Oculus.
>>
>>71839216
Considering it's as much a horror movie as It Follows is, at least in my opinion, I'll say Beyond the Black Rainbow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyZiiq2Up5w

Actually after posting this scene I remembered about Begotten (which was the inspiration). That's another good one.
>>
>>71839216
It follows is pretty good. Better than the retarded shit they pump out. Check it out. You won't be disappointed.
>>
>>71844483
Nope. It's shit. This is the only good part in this shitty flick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnrT_zyumAM
>>
>>71844643
Not him, but WHY is it shit?
>>
>>71844397
is this actual kino
>>
>>71844707
Have you watched it?
>>
>>71844747
Yes, a couple times. I liked it a lot, honestly. Gave me a good sense of the ineitability associated with a curse - or at least, how it'd be like living with one and how it'd change your morals. The visuals were also quite nice, if a bit too much pastel/field of color/neon-ish.

Also, Carpenter Brut would have done a much better soundtrack if we want to stick in the same genre.
>>
The first 30 minutes of It Follows was good, the rest was just pretty shit. That whole beach scene where the kids fought the invisible alien was fucking retarded. What topped it all off, though, was when that guy was humped to death by his mom. Zapped any and all mystery or intrigue from the film, for me.
>>
>>71844714
Yes, but there's better if you like that kind of stuff

https://vimeo.com/41789826

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_j2leCH7OQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmoh-x4dDTw
>>
>>71839611
Factually incorrect.
>>
>>71844921
This. This fucking movie doesn't follow its own rules.
>>
>>71841334

I never see May brought up on here. I love that movie. Can I save this image?
>>
>>71841626
>The Call of Cthulhu - dunno, sounds gay

Congrats, you made me REEEEEEEEEEE

This is also decent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjBfUOqIRlk
>>
Any upcoming movie you guys hyped for? I have no idea about the horror scene for next few years.
>>
>>71846134
Friday the 13th(2017)
>I liked the remake
Leatherface(2016)
>Leatherface as a teenagers apparently might be like the Rob Zombie Halloweens
31(2016
>I worked at an amusement park during the night shift and it can get pretty spooky
Don't Hang Up(2016)
>Kinda give me a Joyride feel

Thats a couple I don't follow horror as much as I used to.
>>
>>71839216

I absolutely disagree with your opinion, sir, but I would fight to the death to defend your ability to have that opinion.
>>
>>71846919
What did people enjoy about it?

Personally found the film to be to silly, like did she fuck the guys on the boat and then in the next scene she says she wouldn't pass it on to anyone.

Also the endlijg was cliche and obvious since we already know it can't be killed since it was shot at the beach.

It was a cool premise but was a bit to silly for me, and not in a fun way.
>>
>>71846134
I watched a trailer for "don't breathe" it looked pretty cool might be good.
>>
>>71847215
What I wrote here >>71844869
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.