[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why no Warhammer movie?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 15
File: Nurgle.jpg (84 KB, 817x588) Image search: [Google]
Nurgle.jpg
84 KB, 817x588
Why no Warhammer movie?
>>
one, and it was bad.

I don't know what stops it from there. frankly everyone I talk to about it say it should be Imp Guard, but then I just feel like don't bother.
>>
Why no Android: Netrunner kino?
>>
>>71791119
WAAAAAGHH!!!!
>>
>>71791119
Because Warhammer is literal trash that only appeals to 14 year old's and emotionally stunted man children.

But hell, they made a Warcraft movie so you've got a chance.
>>
Do you really want see a Larry Steinbergstein produced Warhammer flick marketed to summer plebs?
>>
>>71791266
Is warhammer popular overseas?
>>
>>71791266
>Because Warhammer is literal trash that only appeals to 14 year old's and emotionally stunted man children.
So it's just like everything that tops the charts in the past 5 years
>>
>>71791266
>Because Warhammer is literal trash that only appeals to 14 year old's and emotionally stunted man children.

wew lad
>>
File: IMG_1757.jpg (26 KB, 240x255) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1757.jpg
26 KB, 240x255
*record scratch*
Yep that's me, bet you're wondering how I got here.
>>
File: 1463454985890.png (394 KB, 631x627) Image search: [Google]
1463454985890.png
394 KB, 631x627
>no movie about Space Rome
>>
>>71791266
I take "what is capeshit" for 500
>>
>>71791290
He's right though
>>
>>71791328
you sound pretty heretical friendo
>>
>>71791266
>emotionally stunted man children do watch movies?
or the collector's edition of movies.
>>
>>71791119
1. because it would be hard to pull off with little profit
2. games workship hasnt given out/sold the movie license

a mad max style ork movie would work just fine
>>
>>71791266
Because Star Wars is literal trash that only appeals to 14 year old's and emotionally stunted man children.

Because Star Trek is literal trash that only appeals to 14 year old's and emotionally stunted man children.

Because Batman is literal trash that only appeals to 14 year old's and emotionally stunted man children.

Because Iron-Man is literal trash that only appeals to 14 year old's and emotionally stunted man children.

Because ... yada yada yada
>>
There's nothing particulary interesting about Wh40k universe that wasn't stolen from earlier, better literary sci-fi classics, and its not popular like Warcraft to warrant Hollywood/China cash-in
>>
>>71791119
there was one. here give it a watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlSlIedTBHk
>>
>its an imperial guard movie, about fightan orks, trying to hold a fortress for a week until space marines show up.

they all die, but the last guys go out like total badasses clearing a landing zone for the space marines. The space marines are only seen for about 2 minutes at the end of the movie when the film switches to the first person view of the last guardsmen alive as hes blacking out from blood loss. A space marine kneels beside him and thanks him for his loyalty to the emperor and recites some space marine stuff. The last shot of the movie is him watching the space marine stand back up and walk up to a big re-inforced fortress door and a dude in terminator armor walks up and spins up his gun before they open the door and praise the emperor as they unload boolets into a horde of orks, and the guardsmen blacks out completely.
>>
>>71791481
Except for the Foundation Series Techpriests and the Space Marines holy fight. The rest has been done, SST did Imp Guard and tyranid, Orks has been done in LotR, Tau is just shit but that's pretty mcuh Star Wars on most levels and the Eldar is just Stargate trash..
>>
>>71791523
so...im supposed to cheer the orks on right?
>>
>>71791119
I have all the Warhammer Kino I need right here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_2nM1GEllg&index=2&list=PLyiDf91_bTEgnBN0jAvzNbqzrlMGID5WA
>>
File: what_the_zog_9270[1].jpg (20 KB, 180x235) Image search: [Google]
what_the_zog_9270[1].jpg
20 KB, 180x235
>>71791546
>Orks has been done in LotR
>>
>>71791546
>orks
>lotr

are we talking about the same warhammer? the only thing the orks had in common with lotr orcs is the first 2 letters of their name. mad max warboys have more in common with orks than fucking anything in lotr
>>
>>71791523
The last Imp Gaurd is Dwayne 'the rock' Johnson. No one saw that he would be the last guy. The one Space Marine you see is Brock Lesnar.
>>
>no movie about brave imperial guardsmen fighting a tyranid invasion wielding flashlights against the worst horrors the universe has to offer
>>
>>71791609
The orcs in the Helms Deep was more what I would expect anyone would do. Warboys in Mad Max is what you'd expect in skirmishes.
>>
File: 1466170227634.jpg (971 KB, 1223x1280) Image search: [Google]
1466170227634.jpg
971 KB, 1223x1280
>tfw people automatically assume OP is talking about Warhammer 40k
>>
>>71791621
SST1 2 and 3 as well as Roughnecks.

Where you been there's even a CGI SST movie too m8.
>>
>>71791651
OH WELL WHY IS THERE NO WARHAMMER MOVIE

BECAUSE THE LORD OF THE RINGS AND THE HOBBIT AND THE WARCRAFT MOVIE HAVE ALREADY DONE THAT SHIT NOT MENTION EVERY FANTASY FUCKING MOVIE IN EXSISTANCE
>>
>>71791651
its the only warhammer there is op, theres warhammer 40k and age of sigmar
>>
If they were to make a Warhammer movie it would have to be from the pov of an Imperial Guardsmen. Best way for the audience to connect to the world through his eyes.
>>
>>71791670
>>71791518
>>
>>71791523

I will never understand the appeal of WH4K. It's like every anti-war film cliche smashed together and then misinterpreted as glorification.

Nothing about the lore sounds nuanced or intriguing.
>>
>>71791460
horror movie of spess muhreens vs tyranids woud work better
>>
>>71791712
>and then misinterpreted as glorification

its not misinterpreted. it turns anti-war into "war is fun". thats the point
>>
File: Roughnecks.jpg (41 KB, 365x500) Image search: [Google]
Roughnecks.jpg
41 KB, 365x500
>>71791652

There was a whole SST tv show, but the animation does not hold up well.
>>
>>71791652

SST was a great sci-fi source material that addressed moral dilemmas turned into a parody by a libcuck whose nation is now completely Islamified.

The real comedy is what happened to his country.
>>
>>71791670
>THE WARCRAFT MOVIE
>Warcraft
>movie
A fucking Warcraft movie exists and yet you question me?
>WARCRAFT
>>
File: 1466953046887.jpg (26 KB, 552x594) Image search: [Google]
1466953046887.jpg
26 KB, 552x594
>>71791523
>>
>>71791767
warcraft is infinitely more well known than warhammer
>>
File: ORKS def squadron.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1606) Image search: [Google]
ORKS def squadron.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1606
>take Fury Road
>CGI everyone green
>super impose 2D drawings of ork faces onto everyone
>redub the cast in orky voices and change a few lines

Perfection.
>>
>>71791843
orks really are the best, most of you guys dont play probably, but in one of the older ork rulebooks, theres a unit of orks that only use flamethrowers, and in the story bit about them, these orks just really enjoy seeing other people do 'the burny dance' its what makes orks so loveable
>>
File: 1311865110144.jpg (57 KB, 814x294) Image search: [Google]
1311865110144.jpg
57 KB, 814x294
What about a collection of shorter movies?
>IG fighting Chaos cultists, suddenly Daemons arrive and they prepare to die but a bunch of SoB save them
>SM utterly anhiliating some Orks with brilliant tactics
>SM squad, maybe even Deathwatch, is in a drop pod rocketing towards the enemy, the camera pans around the inside and is followed by an important flashback for every marine inside, when all is shown they land and start slaughtering
>IG on patrol after they just captured a Hive City that had risen against the Imperium with minor Chaos forces present
>Rogoue Trader searching for something on the fringes of the Imperium, showcase some of the Xenos too
>Tau are in the process of checking out some distress call when Chaos fuckery happens, the Eldar arrive for some reason and help them win
>SM dying to the last man while holding back the Necrons
>etc
And the last movie that would be at least half an hour long and animated with the best possible assets
>a couple of different SM squads, IG regiments and a Titan Legion fight a glorious last stand at the last Imperial outpost against the Tyranids
>no deep plot, very little character development, only war and slaughter
>>
>>71791843
But that'd be a Gorkamorka film.
>>
Even if by some miracle a good Warhammer movie gets made, general audiences will skip it in favour of Avengers 10: Avenge with Vengeance, and tabletop autists will get butthurt over meaningless shit details
>>
>>71791119
>budget
>niche
>r rating
>>
Inquisition movie with Chaosy stuff, traitors and purging.
Directed by Cronenberg
>>
>>71791119
I wish someone would give the guy working on Lord Inquisitor for the last 5 years or so a team, a barrel of cash and some time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjaYW5Cnr5k
>>
>>71791322
they can share a demographic you know
>>
>>71791119
Because games workshop.
>>
File: WITNEEEESS.gif (1001 KB, 500x207) Image search: [Google]
WITNEEEESS.gif
1001 KB, 500x207
WE GOING TA GORK AND MORKS BIG SHINY GARGANT IN DA SKY BOYZ!

SHINY AN CHROME!

WAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!
>>
File: witnessed.gif (2 MB, 500x190) Image search: [Google]
witnessed.gif
2 MB, 500x190
>>71791843

>WITNESS ME is just replaced by orks yelling WAAAAGGGHHHH!!
>>
>>71791712
The stakes were high but GW are niggers and won't allow the story to move forward

The Imperium will continue to sacrifice millions each day but population will not falter

The Orks will continue to destroy everything but nothing is actually affected

The Necrons will continue to wake up

The Tau will continue to be backwater communist but somehow end up in areas where warp travel would be needed

Chaos will continue to sprawl out of the Eye of Terror

Eldar will continue being knife-eared cunts
>>
>>71791712
Horus Heresy is fucking cool, and would make a decent movie if done right. But yeah, other than it's pretty stupid and goes nowhere.
>>
>>71792173
>but GW are niggers and won't allow the story to move forward

Like they didn't move it forward with Age of Shitmar? Honestly mate, looking at the previews and the rumoured plastic primarchs and shit I can see Age of the Emperor coming.
>>
>not just playing DOW and pretending its a movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_ZgyNoHtjw
>>
>>71792271
>not listening to DoW 1 voice lines set to Requiem for a Dream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gGG4fpGB_w
>>
>>71791712
GW proper has fucked any sort of nuance out of the setting, it was interesting and had decent stories until maybe 6th edition. The vibe they were going for from 5th to 6th was half-ironic and half-serious, a setting where everything was so terrible that a hyper-militant bureaucracy was the best possible way they had of keeping mankind alive and that's a joke but also terrible. 4th edition was edgy, 3rd and before were ironic. 7th is written like some children's cartoon.
>>
>>71791119
>event horizon
>starship troopers

We had 2 and they were great.
>>
If you haven't watched Damnatus.
You're a pleb and frankly should go back to 9gag because you wouldn't know Kino if it bolted your heretic ass.
>>
>>71791712
Somewhere along the way GW forgot it's meant to be so stupidly dark that it's funny
>>
>>71792254
At best they might make Conquest and Heresy era rules, it's not like Fantasy where the player base was so much smaller
>>
File: Chaos_Lord_and_Master.jpg (161 KB, 1092x1280) Image search: [Google]
Chaos_Lord_and_Master.jpg
161 KB, 1092x1280
>99% of the human cast are WHITE MALE
>The rest needs heavy CGI like the orks, eldar and Chaos
>Even the Space Marines needs heavy CGI to make them huge and superhuman like
>The setting is devoid of romance
>The incomprehensible horrors of Chaos and Tyranids are difficult to pull off. Either they become a generic evil threat or they end up becoming an exaggeration that borders on humor.
>The lore dates for tens of thousands of years so most people won't even know who the Emperor is.
>it's too expensive to make for a niche thing most people won't even watch
>>
>>71792254
40k is doing much better than fantasy. Not to mention the fluff is different. Every faction, barring Tau, is a few decades or at most a couple of hundred years away from achieving their win condition and thus steamrolling the entire galaxy. Without massive retcons it's impossible to move the timeline any forward without eradicating a few factions.
>>
>>71791119
Because Warhammer Fantasy has been trashed.
>>
>actually wanting a Hollywood Warhammer movie

I hope you're ready for black and female ultramarines as well as American accented Orks, a romance between a space marine and an Eldar, and cooperation between the "good" races
>>
>>71791712
It used to be semi-satirical, the Imperium was so over the top religious and grimdark it was obviously parodying the glorification of zealotry and war. That seems to have dissapeared from the writing though.
>>
>>71791996
He's got a team now. Aaron Dempski-Bowden became their writer and rewrote the story.
>>
>>71791266
So mature and grown up. A real man right here.
>>
>>71794295
>Aaron Dempski-Bowden
I did not know that. Fits perfectly though. He did a good job starting to unfuck the Grey Knights lore.
>>
>>71791348
Epic meme
>>
>>71791119
Lore is too huge. Im not saying you have to be super smart to underatand warhammer, but that you need to be invested in lore to understand it. Ald lets face it 90% of moviegoers have no idea about it. There is no "starting point", not eaven in 30k where you begin with clean slate.
And if you butcher lore, you get Ultramarines the movie, a move that is really bad by normal standards, and complete trash for warhammer fans.
Also, what it will be about. Imperial guard? Eldar? Tau?
No it will have to be about Space marines, cuz you know they are not only the poster boys for GW, they are also making around 60% of its profit. So it will have to be Space marines against chaos.
So before the movie you need to know who are space marines, who are chaos space marines. What is chaos? What is Imperium. Who is Abbadon, who are primarch, why are Ultramarines the best (yes they are) and so much more.
>>
>>71791119

Flip the script and basically make Shrekhammer, it's about one ork fighting his way to the top to become Warboss done in a Guy Ritchie style, the main antagonist is played by Jason Statham who is obsessed with killing him because 1) he's an Ork and 2) he's not a dead Ork, he just seems to recognize this one fucking ork out of thousands and it pisses him off.

"I've fought in more battles than I count, served the emperor for centuries, held back several WAAGHs with nothing but a broken chainsword and an empty bolter pistol. Nothing surprises me anymore. But I absolutely fucking can't stand to see that same blood ork every time. It frustrates me you see. And I know what you're thinking: "it can't be him. must be some other ork, you killed him already. But I know it's him. And I'm gonna kill him. I don't care if I have to beat him to death with the Codex Astartes, I'M GONNA KILL 'IM!!"
>>
>>71793215
Pretty much this sadly.

I want an animated universe more than live action for warhammer, 40k or not, that could be fun to see (and don't talk to me about the fucking animated heresy space marine movie)
>>
>>71794496
Just start with the intro being narrated over some expositional pictures or short animations. I never played Warcraft but I understood the movie, so if it went something like that it could work.
>IG is fighting Orks on some planet, barely holding the line
>preparing for another wave to hit them
>Deathwatch squad arrives that just happens to be in system
>IG holds
>Deathwatch does some hit and run tactics to draw out the Warboss
>IG push a counter attack
>finally the Deathwatch is shown proper and they kill the Warboss
>have to fuck off, IG are left to clean up the remaining Orks
>go investigate the nearby moon because it has some unknown life signs
>it actually has a Chaos outpost on it, preparing to invade the planet
>Deathwatch splits up, some remain behind to hold them off for some time, the others race to prepare the IG for the assault
>the delaying Marines all sacrifice themselves
>invasion happens
>it's just CSM and cultists
>maybe they try to summon a Daemon, but it's destroyed before it can fully materialize or something
>the Imperium wins in the end

The IG should be some minor OC regiment that is based on the Cadians, that way they look nice and somewhat generic but some exposition can be delivered through them.
Deathwatch is pretty much a must. The Marines would be hard to portray as really humane and unique movie characters, making them all different Chapters makes this easier. And the black armor with unique pauldrons is pretty baler. Plus small references would be eaten up by those that know the lore. They are shown when they land, but we see them fighting only when they confront the Warboss. All previous fighting is just alluded to, to hype them up.
The CSM should be some Warband that hasn't fallen completely to Chaos, so they would have little mutation amongst themselves and their followers. Easier to animate, easier to understand. No actual Daemons, I think any kind of explanation would be too clunky.
>>
>>71792271
>he thinks im going to play dawn of war 3 after that shitshow of gameplay presentation
>>
>>71791266
You mistook it for Warhammer 40k.
It's OK, happens a lot to plebs.
>>
>>71791266
MMM, BOYS!
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.