[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I though Ender's game was a great movie. Overall an excellent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 3
File: Enders-Game-Poster1.jpg (102 KB, 640x417) Image search: [Google]
Enders-Game-Poster1.jpg
102 KB, 640x417
I though Ender's game was a great movie.

Overall an excellent adaptation of the book.

But why the FUCK did they make Bonzo Madrid a fucking midget?!

It COMPLETELY undermines the peril of the bathroom scene when bonzo tries to kill ender. In the book ender is naked and alone against an older more experienced opponent twice his size. In the film he's fighting a kid just as scrawny as him and a full head shorter.

What the actual fuck casting director John Papsidera?
>>
The weird thing is Ender's Game was the template for all the teen movies now like Divergent and Hunger Games and Maze Runner...
>>
>>71781332

Oh yeah? How so?
>>
>Bonzo Madrid
damn, everytime anglos try to make "hispanic" names they go with this kind of retarded shit, like "Rico"
>>
>>71781276
The movie and book are a prequel for Speaker for the Dead and meant merely as background and character building.
>>
>>71781552

Speaker of the dead wasn't nearly as good and the subsequent stories only get worse.
Not to say that i didn't enjoy them but just not on the same level as the original.

I don't think they were meant as just a background considering they are completely different stories. At least not the book
>>
>>71781358
Why else you think Ender's Game was made now?
>>
>>71781276
me too
>>
>>71781626

i don't know. Can you elaborate on your initial point?
>>
>>71781695
Not really, it's just a thing. Kid's playing games to save the World. That's what the modern teen movies are.

still better then the vampire sagas.
>>
>>71781760

I get ya. Yeah that definitely is a current trend.I wonder why.
But yeah, definitely better than sexy vampires lol
>>
>>71781276
Having to mandatory read the fucking book in the Army, the movie was utter shit, it should have been like three part movie, they completly skipped his brothers and sisters relationship and them being fucking genius wonderkids and so many other details.

I also always imagined Ender as a quiet Chad, who would get people to do what he wanted by using next level logic instead of forcing his way upon them, instead we got some beta cuck boy a shitty sequence and the movie is over LOL
>>
>>71781852

Nah i disagree. It was a good movie. As with many adaptations it had to eliminate certain parts for the purposes of pacing. I agree that it would have been better as a series. Probably two rather than three but yeah.

I can't comment on how the movie is received without having first read the book. Since i had, i felt the movie did a good job of translating the book to film.

Let's put this in perspective: Eragon was utter shit. It made no sense and just completely fucked with the book rather than simply omitting details for the sake of streamlining
>>
i liked it too 2bh
>>
How is it that not one person on the two opposing teams thought to launch themselves at Ender's dumb formation thingy to break it up?
>>
>>71781276
Also, Ender didn't kill Bonzo.
I forget whether he killed the kid in the beginning in the movie.

The whole point was that he was supposed to have killed them both without knowing. You know, like foreshadowing or something.

Why did they also introduce FTL for reasons?
It automatically kills the sequel before it even gets off the ground.
It wasn't bad, but it really needed to be a miniseries to be really good.
>>
I miss when Harrison Ford tried
Now he doesn't try and it's sad
>>
>>71781276
>Horrible over"acting".
>Too loud and too frequent music.
>Completely skipped over large plot points from the book.
>Harrison Ford being Harrison Ford.
>Rushed and poorly detailed relationships with his brother, sister, and school kids.
>Too much focus on green screen effects.

Face it, the movie was garbage.
>>
>>71782413

Speaker for the dead is my favourite book of all time and I would rather it remain a book.

There is no way to make a good adaption without 15 hours of footage.
>>
>>71781997
It was too rushed. The book emphasizes just how much of an emotional the battle school has on Ender and how exhaustee and fucked up he gets but the movie rushes through some of the battles and even combined a couple.
Not to mention there is absolutely NO payoff for all the famous lines from the book. They say "the enemies gate is down" but it doesnt even pay off like being a smaller target for shots or when he is disoriented and looks for the enemy's gate to adjust.
They also fucked Bean up hard too, he was barely in enders game but he became his bff in the movie.
>>71781616
Did you happen to read the shadow series? I thought it was much better than the ender series and scott card is connecting the series with a final book.
>>
>>71781276
>ywn see soaped up teenage boys fight in the shower
>>
File: 1467571425432.png (356 KB, 572x380) Image search: [Google]
1467571425432.png
356 KB, 572x380
>>71781276
the book
>Ender mercilessly delivers a series of brutal strikes against Bonzo killing him

the movie
>Ender puts his hands up and cowers away, knocking Bonzo over and trips who smacks his head on the floor and dies
>>
>>71782398
It wasnt told in the movie but Bonzo would beat someone for disobeying even if it payed off. No one wanted to get beaten.
>>
>>71782643
>>Ender puts his hands up and cowers away, knocking Bonzo over and trips who smacks his head on the floor and dies
He doesn't even die.
We see him getting patched up later
>>
>>71782708
Fucking really? Shit I thought he ended up dying, but that's even worse then
>>
>>71782675

I guess that wouldn't really work when you cast the fucking manlet king for the role instead.
>>
>>71782495

Nah. Acting was fine. No issues with the score.
Certain elements necessarily removed.
No, it wasn't the book. Doesn't make it a bad movie.
Not sure why people have such a hard time with that concept.
>>
>>71782559
speaker for the dead was alright. Nothing like as good as enders game
>>
>>71782708
>>71782774
He was supposed to be killed in the book. They never tell him but its in one of the dialogues between military ppl that "he has killed 2 people" one in his school and bonzo.
>>
>>71782570

I haven't read those. What's it about?
>>
>>71782774

They don't show him dead but they make it pretty clear he died.
>>
>>71781276

>Overall an excellent adaptation of the book.

Nope. It fucking sucked as an adaptation.
>>
>>71782967
It's been a while since I've seen it, but doesn't Ender and whatshername watch him getting his head wrapped up by a robodoc?
>>
>>71781616
Well, that is what the author stated in the forward or whatever section that was in the copy I read of Speaker for the Dead.
>>
>>71782578

Not in American cinema, no.
>>
>>71782906
I have, i read them before the ender series and i really enjoyed them. Hey take place on earth after ender leaves and its a world war with all the countries using Ender's jeet as military generals. It also charaterizes Peter Wiggen in a better light than in enders.
>>
>>71783001

nah
>>
>>71783029

Yeah. And Ender says to Graff "he's not going to make it, is he?"
Graff: "...."

And later they say Ender has killed two boys
>>
>>71783030

lol well then he fucked up
>>
>>71783162

Oh that sounds cool.
But peter is a fucking psychopath. No question.
They try to play it a bit differently in the speakr for the dead series but they just kind of ignore everything you learn about him in ender's game
>>
>>71781276
>I though Ender's game was a great movie.
for 30 years author and fans agree a movie would be shit

turns out shit
>>
>>71782851
It was shit.
>>
>>71781358

>Smaller, underrated child is suddenly thrown into a life or death competition with other kids his age which will eventually lead to changing the world.

I just described Ender's Game, Maze, Runner, Hunger Games, and Divergent at the same time.
>>
>>71781786
I was a fan of the book, but really can't find out why they decided to make a 1985 story in 2013 other then that's just proof it was inspiration for the modern series.
>>
>>71781852
I agree 100% people don't realize how infamous Ender is. They think it's a kids book, but don't realize it's up there with Sun Tzu
>>
>>71784370
But the weird part is that Ender's Game is no small fry in the sci fi world, but everyone else is all like OH SHIT NIGGA HUNGER GAMES!

Battle Royale sure, but Ender's game is where it was for something that changed society inside and outside of the game.
>>
>>71785921

Well it's an older book and wasn't marketed to kids with a big movie tie in as soon as it came out. Hell the last Hunger Games movie was optioned before the book was made.
>>
>>71781760
Did you know it was as inspiration for Evangelion too? you can see what they were aiming for at least with the theme.
>>
>>71781552
Enders game was already a short story when OSC decided to write Speaker he just extended it in to a novel.
>>71782570
The author and a studio decided that the movie would mix the plots of the enders game and the book about Bean that set parallel to it. The script was bounced around and they ended up not really doing that but they didn't remove Bean completely either.
>>
>>71786762

Speaker was alright though a bit boring. Children of the Mind was horse shit garbage. I'm glad they ended it at one movie.
>>
>>71785855
Enders game is more relevant now than ever. Co side the Bradley manning leaks. And the implications of children being funnelled through the military machine, and tough to kill through computer games with zero conscious.

So we've had kids using remote drones to kill. What does that tell us about human morality at this point.

The movie however didn't touch on any of this. Not adapting the source material to be topical. Instead being a butchered version of the book.
>>
entertaining movie i agree
>>
>>71781276
>But why the FUCK did they make Bonzo Madrid a fucking midget?!
He was the only actor actually properly cast. Everyone else was too big and too old.
>>
>>71781997
But the Eragon book was pure shit. Ender's Game is read in schools and even armies over the world for a reason. It's a very good young adult novel.
>>
>armies only have 20 kids
>there's only 4 armies

Battle School felt so small and empty in the film, I hope that this was due to budget and not that they thought that was better than the 20ish armies of 40 + launchies in the book.
>>
>>71782559
>There is no way to make a good adaption without 15 hours of footage

Why? It's really not that long bro, it's a pretty short book, and a decent amount can be shortened. It would work best as a miniseries imo, cutting out absolutely nothing, but you could adapt the story and all the themes in under 3 hours if you wanted.
>>
>>71786971

The only way to depict more is just with more battle scenes that add nothing. The scale wasn't important.
>>
>>71782570
>They also fucked Bean up hard too, he was barely in enders game but he became his bff in the movie.
To be fair, the shadow series makes Bean a total badass and a hero on par - if not exceeding Ender. The fact that Bean uses mercy and peace to establish dominance in multiple situations shows just how much smarter and emotionally in control he is than Ender, even though he's even more ruthless when he needs to be.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (26 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
26 KB, 480x360
At least Bonzo was more of a physical threat, yeah he's smaller, but the actor is very muscular. Asa Butterfield is just skin and bones to Bonzo's defined muscles.
>>
>>71783162
>It also charaterizes Peter Wiggen in a better light than in enders

I really liked Peter Wiggen, he felt kinda one dimensional in Ender's Game, but he was great in the subsequent books.

>mfw it's revealed that he didn't get into Battle School not because he's too aggressive but because no one will follow him because he's so unlikable
>>
>>71784370
>life or death competition

Not really, only once was his life in danger, and that's not normal. Also most kids were much older than him.
>>
>>71786792
>Children of the Mind was horse shit garbage
You know that Xenocide and Children of the Mind was one book until Scott Card decided to put all that terrible Chinese planet bullshit in? Without that crap it would have been a fine book, but the Chinese shit just drags it down so hard.
>>
>>71787007
Or how about kids with other uniforms walking in the hallways? I can't be the only one that noticed no one was ever walking in the hallways, it was always quiet. Not to mention the cafeteria is absolutely minuscule.
>>
>>71787196

Well it would have been better but it still wouldn't be great. That Chinese shit is really bad, it's just Card spending half a book to paint a non-Christian religion in a bad light.
>>
>it's an "Orson Scott Card writes his one homosexual character as an evil guy before renouncing both his past actions and his homosexuality to have children with someone he's not attracted to because children are the only thing that matter" episode

The Mormon themes got a bit heavy handed towards the end there.
>>
>>71785921
Ender's Game itself would be considered very shallow and thin on substance if it were written today. When it was written in '85 though it was worthy of the Nebula. But the rest of the series is where the actual substance is contained.

The paralax series is more along the lines of what young adult fiction is like today though.
>>
The ending was one the most retarded shit I've ever watched asides from that fucking Scarjo movie Lucy.
>>
>>71787467

Why?
>>
>>71787475
He launched himself to the unknown in a small ship not meant for the task on a virtually impossible task of finding an habitable planet for the alien race that brought their own doom, maybe if the tone was different and the movie made it clear he was commiting suicide out of guilt then it would had been a good ending.
>>
>>71787641
>He launched himself to the unknown in a small ship not meant for the task on a virtually impossible task of finding an habitable planet for the alien race that brought their own doom
I feel like you're just making all that up in your head. I mean this is a universe where they have massive fleets that travel in space, why would it be so impossible for him to jump into that ship? You don't know how fast that ship travels, if he's got destinations he can stop at in between. Feels like a pretty autistic thing to get hung up on.
>>
>>71781276
I read the books, still need to finish 3rd one, and went in expecting it would show stuff about Bean.
>6-7 year old leading military, hardly 4 feet tall, while everyone else is in their 15-17 years.
>Going in vents and all that shit as espionage.
>Showing the kid prostitutes, murders and crazy survival of 1 bean to survive a week.
>Ender described as a silent characters only speaking when needed.
The action and effects were good but they changed too many things to make it pg-13.
That whole Russian fiasco and when Achilles starts betraying/killing everyone would have been interesting.
It should have been 2 or 3 parts.
>>
>>71787938
I'm not making shit up, by the logic and level of technology shown in the film its suicide but the tone of the movie says otherwise hence its retarded.
This is what happens when hollywood tries hard to shoehorn a happy ending.
>>
>>71788346

Maybe he's just hopping to the nearest planet for a bigger ship.

Problem solved.
>>
>>71788346
Well their technology was mainly stolen from the buggers, and it's shown that they've had the tech to survive in space for years. When they showed that the kids were controlling ships that were traveling for some 10-20 years on old tech. But yeah it's got some bullshit moments where it went away from the books.
>>
>>71788447
If those fuckers numbered in trillions with millions of spaceships could not find a planet what makes you think an autistic boy in a small transport ship is getting it done?
He starved and ended up eating the egg and then commiting suicide by ejecting himself to space without a suit out of guilt.
>>
>>71788609
>If those fuckers numbered in trillions with millions of spaceships could not find a planet what makes you think an autistic boy in a small transport ship is getting it done?
That's why it takes him literally thousands of years, but time dilation makes it only feel like a few decades
>>
>>71788975
Correct me if I'm wrong, aren't ships in the movie incapable of FTL travel? thousands of years in sub light speed can simply not cover enough star systems to find a habitable planet.
>>
>>71789161

They can travel at near light speed.
>>
>>71789161
Thousands of years is more than enough if you have enough ships looking. He didn't discover the planet, he heard about it and realized that it might work so he went there to check it out. Just read Speaker for the Dead, it's amazing.
>>
It was OK but the ending killed it.
>I'm going to cry about killing the evil invading aliens who massacred millions of humans during their invasion
>>
>>71781276
i think i managed to binge 2 minutes
>>
>>71789582

Good job completely missing the point.

Ender's biggest problem his whole life was worrying that he was a violent monster like Peter and always wanted to find a non-violent solution to any problem. But in the end he ends up beating the enemy by callously destroying them all, just like Peter would have.

So he's not only destroyed an entire race but he's also confirmed his own worst fear about himself.
>>
>>71789643
You forgot that you have to know your enemy to defeat them and you have to live your enemy to know them.
>>
>>71789683

Well that is part of it. It's gone into more detail in the books but he does grow to know the buggers and thus loves them, making his genocide of them even harder to handle.
>>
>>71789643
"if you kill your enemies they win" - /tv/
>>
>>71789770

This is an American book written by a proper American Christian author.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.