[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you have against him /tv/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
What do you have against him /tv/?
>>
>>71697038
He's popular
>>
>>71697038

He's the Hans Zimmer of film.
>>
>>71697038
Sloppy as fuck.
>>
>>71697038
Every movie he has made is a cinematic masterpiece.
>>
>>71697038
I wish he gave even a little bit of a shit about the non technical parts of his movies

Interstellar was a huge step up in terms of human characters but he's still got a ways to go
>>
>Chris, the script is dogshit. It needs more time.
>Fuck off
Literally every film of his
>>
Compared to Zack Snyder he's a genius.
>>
File: 1432430321131.jpg (62 KB, 535x577) Image search: [Google]
1432430321131.jpg
62 KB, 535x577
>tfw hairline is slowly going the way of nolan
>i'm not rich or professional and cant pull it off
>>
I didn't much care for Interstellar. It was okay, but not a revelation that everyone told me it would be.

I think Nolan is a master of two things in his films: action and details. There's a lot of great reasons to rematch his films, you pick up on stuff that you missed before. Like how Cobb's totem was actually his wedding ring, or how the Joker keeps his thumb on the hammer of the revolver when he confronts Dent.
>>
>>71697038
I like that he uses special effects instead of the CGI Bullshit that has become the norm.
>>
When will he become the next Kubrick?
He needs to take more time with his films.
He's made enough money and gained enough credibility to do some high art.
>>
>>71697038
He is a bad director. That's it. All he does is remakes and adaptations. Yes, Inception is a remake, so as Interstellar. He's extremely uninspired, lacking of originality and inspiration, the worst kind of person that a director can be.
>>
He only casts white males for lead roles.
>>
He makes generic Hollywood trash that "really makes you think", he doesn't register enough on my radar to have anything "against him" or what have you.
>>
>>71697180
>white male makes movies about people like himself
If you want a movie about homosexual niggers then you're gonna have to make them yourself.
>>
>>71697038

Nothing, he is the best.
>>
>>71697101
I know what a dick
>>
>>71697126
If there was anything remotely good in BvS it's because of Nolan's influence
>>
>>71697167
Well I think calling him a "bad" director might be a bit of an exaggeration. I am fairly confident Memento will be remembered for a while, and hopefully some of his future projects will make an impact.

What does Inception and Interstellar copy? I could understand a comparison to 2001 for the latter but even then I think its a a stretch.
>>
>>71697038
He's got the technical ability to take some fairly complex visual ideas out of his head and then get them on screen. That's good. The problem is that none of his visuals are that inspired or even pleasing and on every level other than technical his movies tend to range from okay to holyfuckwhy?
>>
>>71697068
>>
>>71697167
>All he does is remakes and adaptations
What are you talking about?
>>
>>71697480
>What does Inception and Interstellar copy?
I personally think that 9/10 criticisms of 'copying' are stupid since no art is original and it's all in execution, but in these cases Nolan more or less lifted ideas from other works and seemed to misunderstand what made them memorable.

Inception's way of dealing with dreams and imagination was pushed as groundbreaking storytelling when in Japan Satoshi Kon had made a career out of doing the same thing only with a lot more visual flair and energy. Nolan took the basic Kon concept and ran it through his autistic 'Heat' filter and people praised the result. Really, his filmography post-2000 makes a lot more sense when you consider how much he fucking loves the movie Heat. Inception is a Satoshi Kon movie thrown into a blender with 90s Michael Mann. Once you take that away what's Nolan's contribution beyond hiring the same people he makes everything with?

And Interstellar is 2001 all over. The movie really gives my the impression that he was aiming to make an epic people would be talking about for decades to come like 2001, but he didn't really understand why that movie has endured so well. The movie's big, slow spaceships and unconventional soundtrack seem to beg the audience to think Nolan's got his aesthetics game down and he's the next Kubrick but Interstellar has none of the grace of 2001 and cg has been around for so long that no matter how great the ships looked in motion he could never really make a lasting impression.

And the score for 2001 is very Koyaanisquatsi inspired. This isn't really a problem but once you realize it's hard to see the final sequence which everyone loves as anything other than a Koyaanisquatsi knockoff. And even then Hiroyuki Yamaga did the same thing borrowing from Koyaanisquatsi to make a spaceship sequence in Wings of Honneamise much better than Nolan did, and that was nearly three decades before Interstellar.

Everything Nolan is praised for has been done better before him.
>>
Nothing, I think he's a great director
>>
>>71697068
this.

fuck you /tv/
>>
File: xyhNj.jpg (635 KB, 1200x1707) Image search: [Google]
xyhNj.jpg
635 KB, 1200x1707
>>71697657
Inception wasn't based off of Paprika dumbass, it was based off of something a bit older.
>>
nothing, he's overrated by normies and overhated by /tv/
>>
>>71697970
that sounds about right
>>
>>71697888
post the whole thing you mug
>>
>>71697167

>Yes, Inception is a remake, so as Interstellar.

what

>He's extremely uninspired

you sound like you are in a high school lit class leaning back in your chair and dissing the catcher in the rye for being obvious
>>
>>71697657

>this guy has influences so he is bad

an artist who does not copy is a shit artist

and interstellar is not actually anything like 2001.
>>
>>71698130
it's better than 2001
>>
File: Dream of a Lifetime-somepage.jpg (746 KB, 903x1288) Image search: [Google]
Dream of a Lifetime-somepage.jpg
746 KB, 903x1288
>>71698070
No. Find it yourself
>>
>>71697038
A shit director who appeals to pretentious elitists.
His entire fanbase is made up of people who feel like they're above films like transformers, but secretly long for films like transformers. So Nolan comes along and takes normal oscar-bait films, removes all characterisation, inserts constant explosions and shitty choreography and then replaces all dialogue with exposition

Luckily for him, his fanbase is too stupid to notice this so they think his films are well-made and clever. Nevermind that Inception and every other film he's made since TDK (including TDK) is full of plot holes. What matters is that he attempted to rip-off 2001 and that makes him a modern Kubrick despite not having a single original bone in his body and being deeply entrenched in the hollywood system
>>
>>71698130
>and interstellar is not actually anything like 2001.
Either you haven't seen 2001 or your nose is so far inserted up Nolan's asshole that you can't see what's in front of you
>>
I like him

>Insomnia
>The Prestige
>Memento
>Inception
>TDK

bretty gud
>>
>>71698399

you can make a comparison with the whole 'guy goes through fantastical journey into the far reaches of the universe to commute with a race advanced beyond human understanding and constraints' thing but that's just a fairly generic bit of subject matter. the actual films are completely different in tone, pacing, plot etc.
>>
>>71699866
well yeah, i mean 2001's actually a really good film while interstellar is literal dog shite
but the inspiration is still more than a homage
>>
>>71697038
Nothing, but enough with the teenage fantasy films.
>>
File: Interstellar - Wormhole Scene.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Interstellar - Wormhole Scene.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
he mixes aspect ratios

fuck that
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.