[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm not the only stupid person who barely understood this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: the-big-short-1.jpg (252 KB, 800x432) Image search: [Google]
the-big-short-1.jpg
252 KB, 800x432
I'm not the only stupid person who barely understood this movie, right? RIGHT?

It was good, don't get me wrong; but I'm not gonna pretend I understood it. The whole movie is just complete financial jibberish.
>>
It's certainly complicated, but this movie did just about the best possible job explaining everything as efficiently and entertainingly as possible. The book is great, too.
>>
> the whole movie is complete financial jibberish

They explain everything in terms that a 12 year old could understand

If you don't fully understand the inner workings of derivatives and CDO's, thats fine, you're not meant to. But if you missed the basic idea behind what caused the crisis, then you weren't paying attention
>>
>>71651726
Banks were giving out loans to people who couldn't pay the loans back, which eventually led to a collapse of the housing market, because many of these loans were mortgages? I think that's the overall jist of it, right? If the money you lend somebody can't be paid back, it basically just gets written off. So basically billions upon billions were lost due to wreckleasly lending to people who couldn't pay but nobody seemed to care.
>>
>>71651892

That's the first part of it, but the problem was exponentially worse due to the bets people were making on the mortgage bonds. A mortgage bond bundles thousands of mortgages into a single bond, which people assumed was a safe investment because not everyone is going to default on their mortgage. These mortgage bonds, each consisting of thousands of mortgages, were then bundled into CDO's, which could contain hundreds of mortgage bonds. Then there were CDS's, which were basically insurance on the CDO's. Since each of these instruments are heavily leveraged, their market cap is exponentially more than what the underlying mortgages are worth. The CDS market capped out at around $60 trillion. So when all these bad mortgages got bundled into CDO's and the mortgages defaulted, then all of these leveraged instruments also failed, causing the crisis.
>>
>>71651726
>They explain everything in terms that a 12 year old could understand

no they do not.
they set up plenty of analogies USING those terms, but the analogies themselves are still complex. you're juggling too many ideas at once.
at the end of the day it takes the exact same amount of intelligence to hold it all together as it would to take an actual class with real hours put in.

you think you're understanding because it's so fun to laugh at quips, but if you were to take a test you'd realize very damn quickly how little you remember.

it's a pointless movie and i guarantee you all anyone walked out of it with was a loose plot about two teenagers teaming up with brad pit to earn money against the big boys.
>>
>>71651573

literally all of those actors on the poster I'm sick of

all it's missing is maybe Clooney and Jonah Hill
>>
>>71651573
they literally explain it in the movie with examples and shit
you don't need to get everything but you should've picked up on a bunch
that said, it is a bit complicated and it's easy to become lost in how it all works together
>>
I can't tell is this is some sort of meta humor
>>
>>71651573
The key scenes to understand the financial plot are the one with Gosling explaining why the system is going to collapse and the one with Selena Gomez.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7z8yQGRUzM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2o81aJSEAM
>>
>>71652278
In english, doc
>>
>>71654570

If you really want to understand CDO's and CDS's you'd need to read a textbook chapters worth of material on them, its very hard to cliffs them
>>
>>71654615
it was a goof.
it's that old movie trope

it's just a little goof
>>
>>71652470
Whats complicated in
>unpayable loans get bundled, these bundles get bundled, people holding these bundles want their cash, cash is not there, everything collapses?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.