[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The B&N sale starts tomorrow, what films are you guys considering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4
File: the-criterion-collection.jpg (19 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
the-criterion-collection.jpg
19 KB, 620x350
The B&N sale starts tomorrow, what films are you guys considering buying?

I'm getting:

A Brighter Summer Day
Yi Yi
Solaris
Lady Snowblood
Persona
Throne of Blood
La Haine
Salo
>>
>>71649932
>buying movies
KEK
>>
>>71649955
I never get what's wrong with buying movies
>>
Fantastic Planet and Inside Llewyn Davis.

I'm going to be getting their release of The New World as well but they never have their pre-sales marked down w/ the discount.
>>
>>71649955
first post worst post

only on /tv/ a place for shitposts.
>>
>>71649932
Red river
Early summer
Samurai Rebellion

McCabe and Mrs Miller and chimes at midnight come out in August so come have to save those shekels for those 2
>>
>>71649932
Tokyo drifter for sure. Don't know if I should get another criterion, or wait for the Amazon sale to pick up the Vengeance trilogy on bluray
>>
>>71650180
He's poor.
>>
>Sale

Buying a movie at the normal price because they inflate prices before the sale, isn't a sale.
>>
Hopefully amazon has a sale after The New World releases, that's all I want.
>>
I'd buy movies if hooking my PS3 up to my monitor wasnt such a hassle. maybe I should get an HDMI switcher
>>
>>71650257

This

Fuck criterion. $40 for one fucking movie.
>>
>>71649932

Dekalog would be my first choice. Have it on DVD but Blu Ray would be great.
>>
>>71649955
Waste of dubs.
>>
>>71649932
A Brighter Summer Day is a nice pick
Not sure I'd buy the others.
>>
>>71649932
Barnes and Noble? We don't have them here
>>
File: image.jpg (418 KB, 634x819) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
418 KB, 634x819
>tfw the sale is happening a month before McCabe and Mrs. Miller gets released
Why is Criterion so cruel?
>>
>>71650382
You can order online I think
>>
>>71649932
Good picks OP. Gonna be picking up Like Someone In Love myself, maybe some others too.
>>
>>71650421
Tbh I don't have any money. How long does this last?
>>
>>71650492
I believe it lasts a week usually
>>
>>71650492

Don't listen to this fag>>71650561

It'll last for the month and then come back in November like it does every year.
>>
>>71650616
Hm, well I'll still have no money then
>>
>>71650225
The Red River release is fucking great.

I'm gonna pick up The Seventh Seal
>>
How much lower are the prices normally?
>>
>>71650680
Get a job poorfag.
>>
>>71650561

It lasts until August 1 I think
>>
>>71651193
>being a wage cuck
>>
Is it true there's more shit criterion movies than good ones?
>>
>>71651181
50% off the usual Barnes and Noble price, but they usually mark their blu rays up $10 so most will probably cost $20.
>>
File: 1318364579001.jpg (15 KB, 251x206) Image search: [Google]
1318364579001.jpg
15 KB, 251x206
I'm thinking about getting Paris, Texas and maybe The Graduate

>mfw Pan's Labyrinth is getting a release
>>
>>71650340
As someone who enjoys watching the supplements and are a frequent re-watcher of movies, then I don't find them to be overpriced. The time and care they put into each disc is unmatched. Getting Cronenberg's Stereo with Scanners and Crimes of the Future with The Brood made them both day one purchases for me.
>>
should i get Vivre Sa Vie?
>>
Blow Out and Dazed and Confused are the only ones on my list this year. I've stocked up pretty well in previous years, and recently ordered Strangelove and Carnival of Souls through Criterion.com (birthday giftcards!). So I'll probably get BO and DaC, and pick up one or two blind buys. I'm thinking maybe Stagecoach? I wish Young Mr Lincoln was out on blu instead of just DVD.
>>
>>71651687
nah
it sucks
>>
>>71651827
get Stagecoach and My Darling Clementine
>>
>>71650180
>>71650221
>>71650253
>>71650360
>being this much of a sucker that you buy movies when you could have them for FREE
>>
>>71649932
First year participating and I just started my collection with Dr. Strangelove
looking for:
Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas (Seen Before)
Seven Samurai
Inside Llewyn Davis (Seen Before)
Hunger (Seen before)
On The Waterfront
Undeiced Wes Anderson movie (Seen about half)
Breathless
Mulholland Dr. or Eraserhead (Seen both)
Undecided Terrance Malick movie
Bicycle Thevies
Paris, Texas
A Man Escaped
Undeiced Bergman Movie
12 Angry Men (seen before)
Definitly narrowing it down tho to only like five maybe six recs are welcome
>>
>>71651893
Thank you! If i like Ford, would I be likely to enjoy Hawks' Red River? I'm very new to Westerns.
>>
Could someone give me an Essential Criterioncore? I don't know what to buy.
>>
The Graduate and Days of Heaven
>>
>>71652024
Bottle Rocket and Rushmore are the Anderson films I return to the most often. Moonrise Kingdom is getting up there though.

I never know if I should tell people to start on Bergman with Wild Strawberries or The Seventh Seal. If you are only planning to get one, I'd say TSS might be the one to go with. (Some people might lead you toward Persona, but I don't know if that's a good starter. Winter Light is my personal fave, but it's DVD only so far.)
>>
>>71652036
What are some films you like? Older? Newer? Any particular genres or filmmakers you're interested in?
>>
>>71652024
Those are great choices for someone getting into the label. If you're looking for an accessible Bergman, definitely go with The Seventh Seal. For Malick, go Badlands. If you're looking for stuff a bit deeper, go with Cries & Whispers and Days of Heaven.
>>
>>71652143
Nothing in particular. The only ones I own so far are Kwaidan and the Samurai Trilogy.
>>
>>71652036
Pretty much everyone starts off with Seven Samurai. Looking to buy that film was actually how I was made aware of Criterion.
>>
pre order touch of zen or buy tokyo story?
>>
>>71652250
Touch of Zen
>>
>>71652219
Yeah, I was thinking of getting that and Ugetsu because I like pretty much anything samurai, but I also wanted to pick up some non-Japanese stuff.
>>
>>71652036

Kurosawa
>>
>>71652250
Is Tokyo story good? What're some good Ozu's?
>>
>>71652036
>>71652211
https://www.criterion.com/explore/3-akira-kurosawa
https://www.criterion.com/explore/22-yasujiro-ozu
>>
>>71652036
8 1/2 and Ran
>>
I'm such a cinephile, I buy everything released on criterion! Have you heard of Ozu, he's my favorite director!
>>
>Why yes m'lady I do spend my money buying blu rays of dead directors at half price. I guess you could say I'm a modern day Medici. Supporting my local film society? No, no, I support film by buying the 142,082 copy of Seven Samurai at half price.
>>
>>71652417
i got kagemusha instead
>>
>>71652024
I always have to suggest Mullholland Dr. and Eraserhead, Fear and Loathing is great. Breathless is great too.
>>
I don't even have a fucking blu-ray player.

I'd get Picnic at Hanging Rock, but it's about as VHS comfycore this side of Evil Dead as they come and not worth it to me on that basis.
>>
>>71649932
>falling for the criterion jew
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.