[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why isn't the Leftovers more popular?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 5
File: 1467330416249.jpg (43 KB, 630x390) Image search: [Google]
1467330416249.jpg
43 KB, 630x390
>>
>>71590471

Because Lindelof can't be trusted
>>
>>71590471
Because it's shit?
>>
>>71590471

My first answer is that it's too depressing, but The Walking Dead has reached/maintained the same level of relentless depression and is still as popular as ever 6 seasons past.

I dunno man. I love The Leftovers, can't wait and not ready for the last season.
>>
>>71590532
The only thing the walking dead has maintained is it's innate ability to attract plebs. The Z-meme needs to die.
>>
>>71590471
because it's kino of tv series
>>
>>71590471
Because everyone already saw LOST and they think it's the same thing.
>>
>>71590531
That's not an argument. How so?
>>
>>71590471
Because there's more plebs than patricians.
>>
>>71590495
This is why I'm not watching yet. I'll watch after it ends if he miraculously doesn't turn the series into a dumpster fire like everything else he has worked on.
>>
Because Lindelof
>>
I think a lot of people got turned off by early season 1. Which is a shame because season 2 was one of the best seasons of tv I've ever seen.
>>
>>71590774
Season 1 was really good too.
>>
>>71590774
season 1 was mostly drama when season 2 is MUH SECRETS
>>
Its the best tv show right now
>>
>>71590471

Season 1 was emotionally brutal, and a lot of people can't handle it. And I don't blame them, really, it was rough.

The cast majority of television viewers watch tv to "turn their brains off" and "just kick back." It's why shows like Big Bang Theory and NCIS are such huge successes. That doesn't necessarily make them bad, but when people get used to that level of emotional commitment, going from something like NCIS to The Leftovers is like jumping into a frozen lake.

As sad as I am to see it only get one more season, I'd rather it go out with the writers knowing they have to finish it up, rather than a will they/won't they sense of cancellation. They get a chance to finish the story.
>>
>>71590532
s1 was pretty depressing, s2 I didn't think was that depressing

imo s1 took 3-4 episodes to really click, I can see why a lot of people would not get into it
>>
Gonna start rewatching season one now. Wish I could've been around for live threads
>>
I can't afford HBO anymore or I would watch it. I don't have cable but do have Hulu and I like their cult show The Path even more, mostly because of Aaron Paul and Hugh Dancy.
>>
>>71590471
becuz despite the two cute girls its boring
thats how bad it issage
>>
>no Aimee in season 2
Why?
>>
>>71591454
I'm not sure s1 even had live threads, s2 did but there were only like 30 of us
>>
>>71591561
Can you not into torrents?
>>
>>71590532
twd may have some depressing moments, but it also has le epic zombies and "badass" moments.
it's literally for teenagers.
>>
>>71590471
The teen segments probably killed the show for a lot of people before they could really get into it. They're so ridiculously annoying and off putting
>>
what is it about even
>>
>>71591969
2% of the Earths populations vanishes and everyone freaks out
>>
>>71591166
Am I the only one that didn't think any of the seasons were depressing? Seriously, I think the characters were depressed but the show is not as sad as everyone says. Compared to other show you can argue that it's the most depressive show on tv, but compared to some films and books, the show can't even reach the surface.
>>
>>71591969
grief
>>
>>71591839
And the leftovers is for adults with the mentality of teenagers.
>>
Because everyone over 20 avoids lindelof like the plague and anyone under 18 isn't interested in "nothing happens: the show." Then only a small percentage of 18-20 year olds are far enough up their own ass (and sufficiently stupid) to be impressed by "dude existential crisis LMAO! STAGES OF GRIEF! SO DEEP!!"
>>
>>71592080
Nice one pal
>>
>>71590761
>71590761
whats funny is it keeps trying to have huge "fuck you" cliffhangers, but lindelof lacks the capacity to follow through on any of them, and just resolves them in the most boring way possible.

The main character literally plays a video game, to respawn after being completely and totally dead, twice.
>>
>>71591969
grief, coping with loss
>>
>>71590471
Not only can it be insanely depressing, but Lindelof isn't well liked and there so it's believed that this show is a 'lol its a mystery that's going to have a disappointing finale' because they're totally misinterpreting the show.

I don't mean to do the 'you just didn't understand it, bruh' thing, but almost every person I see complain about the show didn't get it, especially the ones that left early on. Which is fine because the way the show is built, it just isn't for everyone.
>>
i think people expected it to be a mystery show where they try to figure out what's happened a la L O S T but then it's just a depressing show about human nature which maybe struck the wrong chord among the crowds.

anyway, three seasons is more than i could've asked for.
>>
>>71592324
Found the cuck, literally
>>
>>71590471
i tried watching it and couldn't get into it. the premise is interesting but what they do with it is rather lame. the silent smoking cult, the prophet guy, etc., is just nonsense. i gave up after 2-3 episodes. maybe 4. i may give it another try when it winds down and concludes, if it's worth a go.
>>
>>71590471
It's boring and stupid. I watched 6 or 7 episodes and it sucked dick.

After 7 hours of nothing people turn it off
>>
>>71592375
using huge hooks, building the entire work around said hooks, then trying to pretend the hooks don't matter and are irrelevant because its actually about the characters does tend to piss people off, yes.

So the only people that type of "show" is for are literal retards who enjoy having hacks shit down their throats.
>>
>>71592046
Season 1 was pretty fucking depressing, it really made me anxious (didn't help I watched half of it on acid)

Season 2 was still pretty depressing and really terrifying seeing Kevin's slow descent into insanity and the way he cut himself off from his family at first, but then it starts to have some catharsis with the Nora handcuff scene
>>
>>71592793
kevin starts off completely insane in season 2 and all that happens is the viewer is shown more of his insanity as the season goes on.

its to the extent the kevin in season 2 is a completely different character than the kevin from season 1. But that basically applies to everyone except the daughter.
>>
>>71591642

Because he has Nora now. He can't have an underage cumdupster walking around
>>
i honestly think justin theroux gives the greatest performance i've ever seen in a tv show or movie
>>
File: 1467442853222.webm (3 MB, 711x400) Image search: [Google]
1467442853222.webm
3 MB, 711x400
>>
>>71593389
really? why is that?
>>
>>71593638
because of how good it is
>>
File: fuck.png (2 MB, 1920x1090) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
2 MB, 1920x1090
>You're home
>>
>>71593624
So did that actually happen?
>>
>>71590471

Do I need to be a self hating Catholic to get this show?
>>
>>71593714
No, are you retarded?
>>
I've seen first 3 or 4 episodes and it was just shit. Was I wrong?
>>
>>71593681
really convincing reply, mate. you could almost say it was very Theroux.
>>
>>71593742
no
>>
>>71593742
No, I'm a self hating fedora tipper and I love it.
>>
>>71593754
Are you?
>>
>>71593389
>Gods cousin does a good job
I'm so shocked.
>>
>>71593832
Not that I know of.
>>
>>71593877
oh
>>
File: 1029238381.jpg (38 KB, 674x379) Image search: [Google]
1029238381.jpg
38 KB, 674x379
Because absolutely amazing shows sometimes pass under the rader

This and Justified are two of the best TV shows i've seen and I have never seen a single person talk about Rectify and /tv/ Justified threads died near season 3 when /tv/ became movies and capeshit posting
>>
>>71593987
Nobody wants to watch your shitty hick dramas
>>
>>71593987
Don't put Justified in the same league as this or rectify.
>>
Maybe its just me, but I thought the opening credits for season two was just fucking perfect. the song with the imagery was just haunting. one of my favorite things about S2
>>
File: crying_2305002a.jpg (40 KB, 620x388) Image search: [Google]
crying_2305002a.jpg
40 KB, 620x388
Because mainstream audiences thought it'd be a scifi drama about aliens abducting people and shit and those types are turned off a show entirely fueled by character emotion/grief. It's certainly had numerous best scenes in modern television over it's two seasons. The fucking leitmotif makes me want to cry because I think of all the extremely depressing and good things in the show.
>mfw Matt sees Mary awake
>>
>>71593987
there have been multiple threads about Rectify but they do indeed trail off quickly. i would say that is probably the best show currently airing. i also wouldn't put The Leftovers in the same category as Rectify and Justified, though.
>>
>>71593987
Rectify, this, and S1 of Bloodline are in the same league imo. Justified is pretty campy with a ton of bad acting, totally different
>>
>>71594121
the three leitmotifs are overused and very distracting, probably my biggest complaint about the show. but in general hinting at all this supernatural shit without expanding upon it is pretty unsatisfying, especially the way they frame it as if it was so important only to drop it later on

like what was up with the packs of dogs in mapleton
>>
>>71594131
>i also wouldn't put The Leftovers in the same category

Do you mean that it's better?

>>71594182

I think Rectify is tons better then Justified, I still think Justified is better then most TV shows though
>>
>>71594213
The dogs went feral because they witnessed the departure. That's a hint at what the people are going through even though they try to hide it and suppress their feelings, it's not a big plot point so much as it is a narrative frame meant to show Kevin's worsening mental state. Hinting at the supernatural stuff and using it to tell a story about the characters and what they're going through emotionally is the purpose of the show, not an overt explanation of any of that.
>>
Is this the only truly original drama on tv now? Every other current tv drama just looks like variations on the same old soap operas.
>>
>>71594213
>>71594556

I think 90% of the "supernatural" shit is easily explanable symbolism which relates to the characters.
>>
>>71594602
The first season is based on a book.
The second season is original, but Lindelof and the book writer re-team to write basically every episode.
>>
>>71590774
s1 was great, what do you think turned people off?
>>
>>71594266
no, i wouldn't say Leftovers reaches the heights of Rectify nor Justified. the bad outweighs the good in the Leftovers most of the time. just my take. i'd rate them thus:

Rectify
Justified
The Leftovers
>>
>>71594861
leftovers is much better than justified you madman
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.