[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your honest thoughts on the Jared Leto Joker? I personally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 146
Thread images: 22
File: Jared leto joker.jpg (9 KB, 272x408) Image search: [Google]
Jared leto joker.jpg
9 KB, 272x408
What are your honest thoughts on the Jared Leto Joker?

I personally like the choice, and design... The only thing I don't like is the damn DAMAGED tattoo on his head.
>>
Can't wait to see his performance.
Top tier actor.
>>
>>71581008
I agree here. I think he's a great actor, VERY dedicated. BUT the design is understandably questionable... That's what I was hoping to hear about. I haven't heared anyone in the middle ground on it, it's all I HATE IT, or I LOVE IT... No middle ground.
>>
I think this would make sense for a modern joker. Some of the clubland aspects of his personality are dubious, but also that is a trope of the modern drug peddling super criminal, so we will see.

Excellent actor though, cant wait to see what he does.
>>
>>71580627
I don't know if I can get past my hatred for Jared.
>>
>>71581169
for me its just the tatoos that i dont like , in terms of design, i dont wanna judge his joker untill actualy seein it though
>>
I like the fresh new take, but ultimately it's the performance that matters.
>>
>>71581233
What do you mean by hatred for Jared?
>>
>>71581362
I mean I hate his method acting ways, it pisses me off, and I'm not sure I can get past that hatred for him to enjoy the character he plays.

You are a fucking actor, learn to act instead.
>>
>>71581395
EH, I disagree with that bit.

As an actor myself, I think it's much better to method act than to just act, it makes the character feel more real, and allows you to have great improv moments, LIKE Ledger in Dark Knight, a good bit was improv, if he was just acting a character, you don't get that. And when they do improv it feels out of character. Though, the method acting is probably what killed Ledger...
>>
>>71581424
Well. I didn't much care for Ledger in Dark Knight either for that matter.

It's like they try far to hard to be creepy while not being cartoony creepy and it itself ends up feeling really fake, like you can see the cogs in their brain going "if i do this it will be creepy".

I have a feeling Leto is gonna be similar to that.
>>
>>71581467
What would you like the joker to be like on film?
>>
So is /tv/ just not talking about it or am I looking too far into things?

I got the distinct impression BvS was laying out Joker being Robin fallen angel.
>>
>>71581547
Not sure. I just want him to feel more real, or more cartoony. Not that middle ground that does nothing.

He's not real enough to be creepy, and he's not cartoony enough to be entertaining.
>>
>>71581598
Granted I want to specific that I am nitpicking and I do thing his performance was good. Just not what I personally like in a character.
>>
>>71581547
Mark Hamills Joker
>>
>>71581584
This Joker and Harley have killed Robin according to promo materials
>>
File: 1464897482167.jpg (542 KB, 2016x2520) Image search: [Google]
1464897482167.jpg
542 KB, 2016x2520
>>71580627
>>
>>71581647
That wouldn't translate to film though. Just like any adaption, you have to think of it in the universe that's set up. Which seems to be a universe that's grounded in a semi-realistic world. And the Mark Hamill jokers(Both Batman The animated series and the arkham games) would never translate. He's TOO cartoony and wild with it. They have to make it more grounded. You'd never, no matter how crazy someone is see someone act like the mark hamill joker in the real world, and they notice that.
>>
MOM'S
>>
>>71581700
?
>>
>>71581690
He said defending a character with a forehead tattoo
Leto Joker is just as cartoonist but in an edgy way, the wild swings between moods that Hamill portrayed are far closer to the Jokers true character
>>
>>71581647
Plus in all of the animated series... Joker's not even that good, it's the voice people like... the joker is hyper censored, way too over the top, and all around a bad form of 90s camp.

The arkham games took off the censor, yet still kept him too... ungrounded.
>>
>>71581741
I agree, as I said in my post the forehead tattoo is way overboard, and I stated the design is understandably questionable.
>>
>>71581741
BUT, it is more grounded than a cartoony character. There are real thugs out there with shitty tattoos everywhere(Lil wayne...) SO it's got a grounded feel, even if the feel doesn't feel too good... FEEL... XD
>>
I want a completely crazy unrealistic joker that doesn't care about anything and does the most unexpected things
>>
He's different and that means I need to hold judgement but look what happened with Heath Ledger. It could be great, could be meh.

I likely won't watch Suicide Squad either way
>>
>>71581667
i feel ill
>>
I like Jared Leto. Top notch actor. I think he's the only element in the movie that might be any good/interesting. But that's not really a good thing unfortunately.
>>
>>71581663
Wrong
>>
>>71581819
I understand. I'm playing the joker for a Youtube thing, and fans HOPEFULLY we'll do that... but probably not. BUT I HOPE moreso that Jared leto can give us unexpected... IDK though
>>71581861
Good point, It's a huge thing, you never know. I HATED the idea of Tom Holland as Spider-man, and I was blown away. Same about Batfleck. I hated it until I saw the movie. BUT I have hopes for Leto, he's dedicated, and a great actor. Plus reviews are saying that this joker fits the theme and aesthetic of the film, so there's a bit of light in the darkness of uncertainty.
>>
>>71581700
GONNA
>>
>>71581667
Mom's gonna freak!
>>
>>71581882
From the reviews the movie's actually really good. The biggest thing from early viewers is them saying "This is the film that should have launched the DCEU"

Which I assume is a good sign. Fans are praising Harley Quinn also. SO It could be good. BUT as a film buff, I have understandable doubts, but I feel it'll do good. I've already got a stack of cash put away to go see an early showing around the start of august I think. It's a few days before the official release.
>>
>>71580627
I like that he's different. We've seen plenty of good jokers in our time but let's face it, they've all been pretty much exactly the same. Maybe once been a little darker or one had slightly different motivations but they're all the god damned same.

I'm interested to see a refreshing take on the character and I'll reserve judgement instead of being a knee jerk fag. I just hope it doesn't catch on and become the new default Joker.
>>
>>71580627
Its not that I hate the idea of tattoos on the joker, ai just wish they were more creative than "Ha Ha Ha", "Joker" and "Smiley Faces".
Just from Visuals alone, this Joker doesn't seem like an unhinged madman so much as he does a teenager in rebellion mode, hence Moms Gonna Freak I suppose. I'm not against different interpretations, but this seems far too much like a Joker designed to be marketable to teenaged girls as "sexy" rather than an actual villain so it reeks of cynical Hollywood rather than creativity.
Finally, everything has been tainted bby how bad BvS was. Its just unavoidable.

As for that Jason Todd idea going around, it worked in animation with Todd as a "host" for the Joker, but if this turns out to be a version who used to be a warrior of justice gone bad it only makes it even MORE of a cynical Teen Girl masturbatory fantasy. "I can fix him.. "

All that said, maybe when I eventually watch the movie via totally legal means honest, his performance will be good and the rest of then film won't be terrible. I'm just not hopeful.
>>
>>71582141
THIS, I like this.

I agree his tattoos should be more creative.

THOUGH, I do not agree with the teenage girl demographic, I think it's more to fit in with the "Young thug" I think the name is demographic. Where they are all tattooed up "Gangsters" kinda people.
>>
>>71582141
You just reminded me how good the batman beyond joker movie was
Him losing his shit over finally getting a laugh out of Batman was great
>>
>>71582201
They are already selling paired Harley and Joker clothes in Hot Topic.

The teen girl demographic isn't even a question any longer.
>>
>>71582229
They have that for starwars, powerpuff girls, batman v superman, and everything else though, it's not a way to judge something.
>>
>>71580627
the memes will be fantastic
>>
>>71582247
Costumes?
In Hot Topic?
For PPG?

If if was just T shirts dude, I'd agree. Thus is full on cosplay sold to Normie's.

And do you deny Jared Leto is an attractive man? Of course his levels of sexy were considered. It isn't just an attempt to distance itself from the Oscar winning murder hobo.
>>
>>71582206
It really was anon, it really was. That whole movie was great. I think I may go rewatch it.
>>
>>71582322
Yea... full on costumes... Dresses and what not... There's full on starwars inspired dresses too, Like BB8, R2D2, Vader, Kylo Ren.

They also have all kinds of dr.who and wonderwoman themed things.

AND He is very attractive... but they've made him ugly af... I mean, Him without the makeup is gorgeous... with it... EEEHHHHHHHHH His eyebrows are gone, his face is fucked up, his teeth are hell... IDK if he's been made sexier to anyone... MAYBE I don't understand teenage girls though.
>>
File: PPG at hot topic.png (795 KB, 1363x458) Image search: [Google]
PPG at hot topic.png
795 KB, 1363x458
>>71582322
>>
>>71582380
Costume Replicas, not inspired. Please look them up.

He's supposed to be sexy yet weird, dangerous sexy, weird sexy. He appeals to teenaged girls like vampires do.
>>
>>71582425
Costume Replicas.
Not inspired.
Look them up.
>>
>>71582432
For what one?

And I just showed the ppg things... Not replicas, inspired outfits and shit.
>>
>>71582380
yet you are typing like one, is this intentional "JoKeR" ?
>>
>>71581667

>dorbz

Is this some kind of pop rip-off. why havent they got sued
>>
>>71582472
It's intentional.

I wanted to make sure the Consonants got capitalized whilst the Vowels didn't, Because generally Vowels are seen as the more important set out of the two, but I wanted to make the Consonants stick out... I'm weird I know.
>>
>>71582453
The Harley and joker ones? I looked them up.

They are inspired, not replicas.

The Joker one is a suit jacket that's black with a million white HAHAHAHA's, and a mouth on the sleve. the Harley one is a pair of shorts, leggings and the DADDIES little monster thing shirt(which is a replica, though baggier and shit)

The
>>
>>71582458
Yknow what, never mind. The more we talk the more you feel like a marketer.

I've said my piece and I guess time will tell.

But I'm sure I'm not the only one who sees him as cynical sexy.
>>
>>71582549
Marketer or mad Autistic.
>>
>>71582559
I think you might be... Sure maybe there are some of the fucking wacko girls who'll dig it... BUT Heath Ledger was an attractive man too, and hot had shit from that movie too.BUT it still wasn't marketed at teen girls.
>>
If Suicide Squad Joker is, like has been theorized, a former Robin that was brainwashed, the design is fine.

The tattoos are just nothing that the real, original Joker would ever choose to get. Under any circumstances.
>>
>>71582586
HOT TOPIC* not just HOT
>>
>>71582596
D... Did you not read the comics??? JOKER HAD TATTOOS... In a few versions at least... I mean... one was a GIANT DRAGON on his back... Joker also had his face removed so he could wear it like a mask... You can't exactly say anything about joker NOT doing something...
>>
File: JOKER WITH TATTS.png (2 MB, 1096x1332) Image search: [Google]
JOKER WITH TATTS.png
2 MB, 1096x1332
>>71582596
COUGH....
>>
>>71582625

It's the nature of the tattoos that's the problem, not that tattoos themselves.

They look like what someone who was trying to be the Joker would get, not something the Joker himself would actually have.

The tattoos would be perfect, for example, for one of the Jokers Gang members from Batman Beyond. Joker wannabees, not the real deal.
>>
>>71582675
WELL, Harley also has them, SO I feel like they will tie into the movie SOME HOW, as a duo thing. MAYBE. I mean, IT COULD have been harley who did them, or they could actually do something.

BUT if they are just something he has, then they are a bit unoriginal.
>>
>>71582625
>had his face removed so he could wear it like a mask
that's just silly
>>
File: Joker.jpg (8 KB, 204x247) Image search: [Google]
Joker.jpg
8 KB, 204x247
>>71582728
It's cannon to the DC universe... THE comic universe... Did you not know about this?
>>
File: Joker 3.jpg (7 KB, 184x274) Image search: [Google]
Joker 3.jpg
7 KB, 184x274
>>71582728
>>
>>71581943

FREAK
>>
>>71582759
sorry, I have some social life
>>
>>71582815
As do I... It's just that I also can have a comic life too.
>>
>>71580627

I'm not too sure on the tattoos, tbqph with you senpai.
>>
>>71582759
>New 52 Snydergarbage
>canon

Not for long bruh. Into the trash it goes.
>>
WELCOME TO THE UUUNIVERRSE
>>
>>71582838
I agree new 52's not the best... BUT It's a decent attempt at modernizing the universes. LIKE the Ultimate series was in marvel.
>>
I feel like they added the tattoos after they realized how weak Jared Leto looks. Heath was a big guy and looked like someone who could stand up to Batman in a fight. Leto looks like a punk bitch with perfect hair and if Batman punched him he would break all his bones.
>>
I think MOM IS GONNA FREAK
>>
>>71582920
xD

IDK though... Jared leto is pretty ripped for the role... BUT He was never meant for a fist on fist match... I HOPE they add some of joker's... TOYS... And according to the trailers... He has some...
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsbIdSGwoEs
>>
File: IMG_3789.jpg (1 MB, 3000x2250) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3789.jpg
1 MB, 3000x2250
Red hood is in the new SKWAD movie. I'm counting on letos joker being Jason Todd. Source is pic related, leaked lego based on the film.
>>
>>71583270
Also it would justify all the stupid shit they did to joker in it, especially the broken teeth.
>>
>>71583270

>giganto killer croc

Mmmhmmmm
>>
>>71580627

Yeah I have pretty much the same opinion OP, really can't fathom how someone thought damaged tattoo would be a good idea.

It would be really cool if that theory about him being brainwashed robin was true.
>>
>>71582655

Joker is a weeaboo?
>>
>>71584715
he's just that DAMAGED
>>
Dub and all tripfags ceased to exist.
>>
File: 1304684175439.jpg (66 KB, 528x543) Image search: [Google]
1304684175439.jpg
66 KB, 528x543
>>71585255
>>
He'll probably turn in a good enough performance to make me overlook the design while I'm watching, but I do think they'll prevent him from being viewed as "iconic" in the role.
>>
File: jared believes.jpg (44 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
jared believes.jpg
44 KB, 600x400
Jared is your friend. He probably even means it.
>>
>>71581667
that's fucking adorable.
>>
>>71582655
Miller can fuck right off.
>>
Just an FYI for those unfamiliar with the current DC comic canon. There are three different Jokers right now. Like all along there were three of them.
>>
>>71585944

Comic Canon these days is worth the same as toilet roll.

Wipe your ass on it and flush it never to be seen again.
>>
File: 1467228107083.jpg (32 KB, 240x270) Image search: [Google]
1467228107083.jpg
32 KB, 240x270
>>71581667
>someone somewhere approved of a 'Damaged' tattoo on the Joker's forehead
>and multiple people were okay with this
>>
>>71581598
>I just want him to feel more real
In a movie about an edgy joker who's obsession is 'Batman' a guy who runs around in a costume and speaks deep because he's super badass.
>>
File: 1434788893081.gif (2 MB, 200x293) Image search: [Google]
1434788893081.gif
2 MB, 200x293
>>71587189

Yeah shit like this always amazes me, I mean literally hundreds of people are involved in making of one movie, and decisions like this still pass somehow
>>
I REALLY want this movie to bomb.
>>
>>71582141

>Joker designed to be marketable to teenaged girls as "sexy" rather than an actual villain

This is gonna be all the more funny when Joker starts slapping around Harley Quinn. I can't wait for when all the articles start popping up calling the film "problematic"
>>
>>71580627
actor is good but the joker character is such a fuck
>>
>>71582815
and then it got rectoned because it was a stupid fucking idea
>>
>>71580627
Remove the stupid tattoos and make his teeth a bit less fucked up and I'm sure he'd make a great Joker.
>>
>>71587189
maybe was a inside joke or satire
>>
File: 378872.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
378872.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>71587273
>decisions like this still pass somehow
>>
>>71588120
yea man since wen the joker has bad teeth, he should have a sunshine smile from ear to ear
>>
I think it's boring that he's going for the Heath ledger approach

I find all the stories about his method acting to be fucking cringe, and I can't take the actor seriously anymore if even one of those stories are true

The damaged tattoo makes me think the target audience is 13 year old girls so I'll probably just wait for a stream version and watch it without any high expectations.
>>
>>71580627
looks good aside from the tattoos, seems kinda try hard to me though
>>
File: batman.jpg (151 KB, 1280x818) Image search: [Google]
batman.jpg
151 KB, 1280x818
>>71583298
>>71588272
>>71588120

The broken teeths are perfect
>>
>>71589737

full scans when
>>
>>71585944
Wait... wasn't he supposed to be immortal as well recently?
>>
>>71588288
He's not trying to be like Heath.

He is going for an androgynous design because they are going to play up his bi sexual nature with Batman from the comics.

he's got more in common with the Mexican Cartel than Ledgers Joker.

You can see from a 3 second clip in the 6th TV spot that his performance is going to be waaay more comic book than Ledgers grounded realistic approach.

even if people are into it or not his performance will be the closest to the comics yet.
>>
MOMS
>>
>>71590425
hed look good if it wasn't for that head tattoo, it's going to be so distracting watching his scenes, I'll be constantly staring at it.
>>
>>71581893
Zack Snyder has outright said 'the joker has killed a robin'
>>
>>71590489
That I agree on, I hope in Affleck's The Batman, they have him drop into acid again at some point so all his tattoos get removed. That's how I'd retcon them anyway.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (62 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
62 KB, 1280x720
What I don't get is why they didn't just get unJUSTified Mark Hamill to physically do the role?
>>
>>71590561

Because you're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>71582838
>Not for long bruh
Rebirth isn't stopping 52 from being canon. Its just slamming pre-52 into it and acting like they were the same thing from the start
>>
>>71590578
gob2freakurm0m Leto.
>>
>>71580627
>The only thing I don't like is the damn DAMAGED tattoo on his head.

Then how would people know he we le edgy hot top employee who only works there so he can pay for new tattoos and clove cigarettes?
>>
>>71580627
I think the design and the casting choice are intersting and could work -- I am not some comic-book purist whop gets outraged if a movie differs from its source material -- if it does not differ, what is the point of making it?

That said, the trailers make the movie look pretty bad. But it won't be the Joker design that ruined it.
>>
>>71581424
>As an actor myself, I think it's much better to method act than to just act

As another actor, I'll take some exception to your categorization of non-method acting as "just" acting. Method is not the only valid technique, and the pompous self-important brand of "look at me, I'm a method actor" that so many of us hate is, of course, not the only )I'd say, not the real) way to be a method actor.
>>
>>71581690
True enough, but I note that movies in general, and super-hero flicks in particular, are not the real world.
>>
>>71581952
>Fans are praising Harley Quinn
>Fans are fapping furiously and mistake that for thinking the character was great.

I suspect, once we see the movie, the latter will turn out to have been more accurate, but we'll see.
>>
>>71582759
>It's cannon to the DC universe...
>>71582728
>that's just silly

These are not mutually exclusive statements.
>>
>>71591263
>>Fans are praising Harley Quinn
>>Fans are fapping furiously and mistake that for thinking the character was great.

sounds like the trolls on /tv/ trying to make Gal Gadot's wonder woman sound like she was a big deal and that Gal Gadot herself is hot.

>le gal gadot spinning gif XD

Fuck off
>>
>>71587273
In a world where nobody ever said, watching the dailies or on the set, "Hey, wait a minute Mr. Lucas, this kid cannot act, he is fucking terrible," nothing will surprise me ever again.
>>
>>71590561
He is a fat old guy.
>>
File: 1467408112810.jpg (20 KB, 523x521) Image search: [Google]
1467408112810.jpg
20 KB, 523x521
>>71591357
I'm sure behind closes doors someone told George how much of an autistic fuckup he was.
>>
>>71591145
Do you really need to be told that the namefag formatting his posts like he's in reddit and claiming to be an actor is just baiting?
>>
>>71585920
Miller didn't write that Joker, it was Morrison.
>>
>>71591598
No dragon tattoo joker was miller and Lee
>>
>>71591682
I thought it appear from the Dick Grayson Batman and Robin?
>>
>>71591598

Check again, All-Star Batman was Frank Miller
>>
File: black man thats good.gif (2 MB, 533x300) Image search: [Google]
black man thats good.gif
2 MB, 533x300
>>71585255
>>
>>71581721
oh fk guys the riddler is here watch out
>>
>>71591700
Batman & Robin boy wonder was miller
>>
I want to like him and think he'll do a decent job, but whoever is in charge of the designs needs to be fierd, they all look so fucking edgy.
>>
Relax. He's in the movie for less than 15 minutes. He's a side story, not the main one. Though his screen time is more than double what they gave to batman.
>>
>>71591934
Source?
>>
File: 1419298236602.png (125 KB, 840x464) Image search: [Google]
1419298236602.png
125 KB, 840x464
>>
>>71587273
I think the damaged thing was letos idea
>>
>>71580627
i don't like how muscled up he is
>>
File: DAMAGED.png (43 KB, 183x206) Image search: [Google]
DAMAGED.png
43 KB, 183x206
>>71581667
>>
>>71591941
The source is my eyeballs watching it. Saw the movie 2 months ago.
>>
File: Kamina Leto.jpg (261 KB, 510x288) Image search: [Google]
Kamina Leto.jpg
261 KB, 510x288
>>71585834
>>
>>71592186

If true that sucks. Big letdown
>>
>>71591980
moms gonna freak
>>
>>71580627
But how would you know he is damaged without the tattoo?
>>
File: 1439286706970.gif (1 MB, 260x195) Image search: [Google]
1439286706970.gif
1 MB, 260x195
>>71592186
Ya, sure.
>>
Think Leto's a good choice for the Joker, the tattoos are a bit too much. The only one I really like is the smile face on his arm. I'm sure they're going to use it to cover his face after he gets hit so that he's "always smiling"
Thread replies: 146
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.