[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well, this fucking sucked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 219
Thread images: 11
File: everybodysmall.jpg (581 KB, 800x1245) Image search: [Google]
everybodysmall.jpg
581 KB, 800x1245
Well, this fucking sucked
>>
>>71564151
It was great. Captures the environment of an all-male team very well.
>>
>>71564184
It captured a bunch of dudebros being massive retards for 2 hours yes.

I can't believe this is actually the spiritual successor to dazed and focused, that hack Linklater should be gunned down in the street.
>>
>>71564276
>I can't believe this is actually the spiritual successor to dazed and focused, that hack Linklater should be gunned down in the street.
Hi Korinefag :)
>>
>>71564491
Not me. I want to kill Linklater but I don't like Dazed and Confused either.
>>
I don't think I've seen a good Linklater film. They're all 'ok', but not really good.
>>
>>71564544
Stop pretending to be me.
>>
>>71564544
well you two sure are edgy. no wonder you don't like Linklater.
>>
>>71564276
>It captured a bunch of dudebros being massive retards for 2 hours yes.
>da mubie bad because I am a beta male
lmao. It was hilarious seeing the nu-male "geeks" get upset about this movie because the people they were jealous of in high school were presented positively.
>BUT JOCKS ARE DUMB MISOGYNISTS
>>
>>71564151
L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N

pls be my gf
>>
I thought the acting was good and they all had good chemistry, but it all kinda felt blah there was no real conflict at all, and a thrown in cliche romantic plot for some reason
>>
Jake = Randall Pink
Finnegan = Donnie
MacReynolds = Bennie
RawDawg = O'Bannion
Willoughby = Wooderson
Dale = The black guy from Dazed

Did I miss anyone?
>>
>>71564276
>It captured a bunch of dudebros being massive retards for 2 hours yes.

Movie was great and very funny. You are just a bitter loser who got bullied massively in high school and this movie triggers the fuck out of nu-male faggots like you
>>
It was fantastic. One of the best releases of the year.
>>
>>71564616
>lmao. It was hilarious seeing the nu-male "geeks" get upset about this movie because the people they were jealous of in high school were presented positively.

I'm not a "nu-male" whatever the fuck that means, nor was I bullied or jealous of jocks in school. I was actually friends with some of them.

This movie was literally about retards going from bar to bar just having uninteresting conversations with each other and a ham-fisted romantic subplot.

The premise of the movie make it seem like it could be fun to watch, but nothing interesting happens throughout the entire run time. No funny situations, all the parties basically the same, and all the charterers ever talk about is pussy and beer.
>>
>>71564975
You missed a ton of subtext. Shoo shoo, cinematic illiterate.
>>
I liked it. It reminded me of hail caesar in that it didn't attempt to have any sort of plot. it just tried to represent the times
>>
>>71564975
>I'm not a "nu-male" whatever the fuck that means

Only nu-males use "dudebros" as some form of insult and get triggered by a bunch of guys being guys. You are 100% nu-male faggot, don't deny it
>>
It seemed like a very sweet and sincere film. It's not about conflict or drama, it's just about normal people settling into a new chapter of their lives and having good times. Very comfy.
>>
>>71564151
spoiler alert, the 80's fucking sucked too.
>>
>>71564151

It was great.

Some real inbetween-the-lines stuff.
>>
Someone should tell Linklater he's not that interesting
>>
>>71565513
If he's not interesting why do people still fund his incredibly niche stuff, fag?
>>
>>71565201

>get triggered by a bunch of guys being guys.

Is this really all you have to go on? Just because I did not like a movie about "manly" men I'm some sort of feminist beta neckbeard cuck.

Get you head out of your ass you retard.
>>
>>71565542
You tell me, bro
>>
>>71565437
Like what?
>>
>>71565608
this movie is
>funny
>realistic
>earnest
>sincere
>doesn't make fun of its subject
It's a damn good movie about youth that doesn't turn it into a sermon or totally let them off the hook either (Willoughby is clearly a cautionary tale even if the other characters don't realize it yet)
>>
>>71565620
>muh box office receipts
you know how many flops Michael Mann has had? literally almost all of his movies. and yet people still want to work with him, because they LIKE him. Same with Linklater, with the added bonus that most of his movies are successful.
>>
>If you don't like this movie you're a virgin neckbeard loser

Go back to your tumblr Ghostbusters posts, pussies
>>
>>71565854
in the case of this movie it's 100% correct
>>
>too white
>too misogynist
>I don't like people who play sports

The leftists getting upset about this movie was hilarious.
>Kermode going full SJW on this thing and then in the same episode praising Neighbours 2 because it pandered to his feminism more.
>>
>>71565608
>Just because I did not like a movie about "manly" men

They're not manly at all. They are just a bunch of guys being guys thats all. But that triggers the fuck out of millennial nu-male faggots like you who grew up adderall and WoW.
>>
>>71565932
No it's not, the opposite is actually true, this movie is only interesting to losers who never had friends and wanted to see what it was like.

You might enjoy episodes of jersey shore if you love this movie, just a bunch of bros bro-ing out!
>>
>>71566065
>this movie is only interesting to losers who never had friends and wanted to see what it was like.

Never have I seen someone project this hard in my life. wow just wow
>>
>>71565939
>too white
>too misogynist
>I don't like people who play sports

I don't have a problem with any of this, yet I still hated it, what now?

>They're not manly at all. They are just a bunch of guys being guys thats all.

You're right, they're not really manly at all, but it seems to be what people reefer to them in this thread so went with it as well. My idea of "manly" men are mostly seals and guys in the military, not idiots who just to go to bars and play baseball.

>But that triggers the fuck out of millennial nu-male faggots like you who grew up adderall and WoW.

I grew up playing soccer and I have no idea what adderall even is, must be some drug you fat muricans have to use to be able to leave your chairs or something.
>>
>>71566112
Please faggot, i've been to plenty of parties. You're the one with all the meme words on hand, sign of a fucking pathetic loser who hates himself
>>
Didn't care for this movie. If I want to see guys being assholes, I can just go to school. Surprising that someone as introspective and artistic as Linklater had any interest in these bonehead characters.
>>
>>71566166
Linklater was always fascinated with the common man as they tackle existential issues. If you can't see that then you never understood him at all.
>>
My only complaint was not enough Billy Autrey.

"Dang that sure is Lone Star, that's alcohol right there alcoholic beverage innit, I'll be danged."
>>
>>71566162
>what now?
You are infantile about cinema. Boyhood was capeshit dross but Linklater really brought the kino with this one.
>>
>>71566166
>being assholes

It's called banter with your buddies, if you can't handle it then don't try making any friends faggot. You'll just get upset.
>>
>>71566218
>You are infantile about cinema.

Ok, care to explain what I missed about the film?
>>
>>71566216
What existential issues did the characters face here? None. Just some dumb jocks being ignorant.
>>
>>71566164
>i've been to plenty of parties.

Anime conventions at local strip mall are not "parties" anon. It's obvious you have huge personal issues with this movie and using denigrating sjw lexicons like "dudebros" is a real eye opener on what type of person you are. You probably wake upto your own gut sweat every morning before you have take your insulin like the bitter loner fattie you are.
>>
>>71566246
Right. And a kid getting beaten by his dad is just tough love, yeah?
>>
>>71566276
Well being alive and trying to situate yourself in a new environment is an existential issue, fucking moron, not to mention the times this film went into other areas for split seconds: existence, reality and the connectedness of life.
>>
>>71566166
>Enjoying your youth = being an asshole
>>
>>71566324
>getting your ass kicked by your dad is the same as banter with friends

Jesus Christ, you're pathetic as fuck dude.
>>
>>71566276
>What existential issues did the characters face here?
They were minor and not in your face ,but they were there. Clearly a lot of the guys are uncomfortable with staying from their comfort zone and going to parties that aren't in their cliques. Many of them will also have to deal with the fact that they aren't good enough to be professional ballplayers. And then there's Willoughby, the fraud who just wanted to keep partying, who is actually a cautionary tale for those who don't want to deal with the real world and stay partying.

It's an incredibly well-realized movie about being young and carefree.
>>
>>71566358

Leftists usually are like that, they get crushed in a rational debate so they have to resort to extremes and move goal posts. It really is pathetic
>>
>>71566332
Not saying that. These guys were just jerks. Shallow and juvenile.
>>71566326
Sounds like a lot of wank.
>>
>>71566409
And sounds like you're still a pathetic moron.

Do you understand how conservation works? Did you even know what they were talking about most of the time, let alone the singular little moments?
>>
>>71566381
>It's an incredibly well-realized movie about being young and carefree.
This contradicts everything else you wrote.
>>
>>71566464
You can be young and carefree but still have existential issues you idiot. Even something as minor as "whoa I'm not as good at baseball as I think I am" is an existential issue.
>>
>>71566464
Because college aged kids are always the most rational and responsible people, right? Why are we even arguing with someone who clearly gets no social interaction on an average day?
>>
>>71566409

you need to kill yourself at the soonest opportunity faggot
>>
>>71564800
SOMEONE REPLY TO ME CAN
>>
>>71566499
So I guess they weren't so carefree after all.
>>71566510
You have no clue what I'm saying. You should be the subject of Linklater's next film, Bully Dunderhead.
>>
>>71566602
Do you know what the word carefree means?

Of course you don't.
>>
>>71566450
Grown Ups 2 is about those singular little moments too, like when Adam Sandler learns to sneeze and fart at the same time.
>>
>>71566602
>So I guess they weren't so carefree after all.
Are you trying to upset me? It's working. Being carefree and having thoughts (however fleeting) of existential dread are not mutually exclusive. As I said, the existential issues are minor, because the movie takes place over the course of three days. But they exist, and will grow over the year. You've been to college, right? Assuming you made a lot of friends the first week, how many of those same friends were you as tight with around finals week? Exactly. Things change quickly.
>>
>>71566673
>>
>>71566661
When I think carefree, I don't think existential crisis. Sorry.
>>
>>71566704
Because you're a half-wit, no need to be sorry.
>>
>>71566704
Jesus Christ, I don't see how anyone can be this fucking retarded? Maybe because you're severely autistic you don't know what being young is like but it's EXACTLY the case of being faced with existential issues, understanding ones identity, being part of cliques etc and yet at the same time the most carefree, hedonistic time in your life. You'd probably understand this if you had a normal, functioning childhood but clearly you didn't. I'm sorry you are the way you are.
>>
>>71566741
Think what you want. Nothing said here makes the film interesting in the slightest. It's just a dull film for aasholes. You pretend it has fascinating moments of keen observation, but it has no more depth than something like American Pie.
>>
>>71564151
It was fucking garbage. You fucking Redditors pretending to like this shitty Linklater dross to fit in disgust me.
>>
>>71566312
Keep projecting, you were that faggot who worshipped jocks in school and thought they were interesting enough to deserve a plotless, boring movie. Now go watch mtv, I probably bullied faggots like you in school
>>
>>71566853
>I probably bullied faggots like you in school
Translation: I went to school before Columbine so I could threaten to shoot people and no one would care.
>>
>>71566833
You're autistic, and I know that's a classic insult to throw around here but you're genuinely autistic.
>>
>>71566795
Yeah. Sorry I wasn't a boring dickhead growing up. I actually had respect for people and sought out intellectual pursuits. I never went through a phase where I fucked pies.
>>
>>71565608
Jesus Christ, you're the most pathetic piece of shit on this planet. It's just a movie. If you're jealous of the guys depicted in the film, go to a fucking gym for once.
>>
>>71566853

Anon you seems really angry for some reason, did I hit a nerve? Seems like my comments and along with this movie made you into rage machine holy shit go outside and get some fresh air.
>>
>it's a thread about my favorite movie of the year (so far)
>it's 95% shitposting
STOP IT
>>
>>71566888
What? Just teller, Did you jerk off to the baseball teams yearbook picture?
>>
>>71566945
>It's just a movie.
A bad movie at that.
>>
>>71567026
Nope, did you jerk off to the thought of murdering your bullies and fucking their corpses?
>>
>>71566945
lol, it's hilarious how again the only thing you guys can go on is "Hur you're just jealous".

Come up with a better defense for the movie you retards. People have brought up valid reasons as to why this movie sucks and the only thing you have to fall back on is the same shit.

And I go to the gym 4 times a week so fuck off.
>>
>>71567026
>wahhhhhhhhhh I was bullied now every little bit of college banter I see in fictional movies triggers my sensibilities
>>
>>71567080
>People have brought up valid reasons as to why this movie sucks
they really haven't. and the exercise bike doesn't count
>>
>>71567026

I actually play baseball (also played in high school) and did a ton of track and field, movie was great and enjoyable for guys like me. Brings up tons of memories and the like.

FACT: Only people who hate this movie are noodle armed nu-male reddit faggots and fat sexless /r9k/ers chad haters.
>>
>>71567052
No that's only something your basement dwelling faggot mind could imagine
>>
>>71567080
>valid reasons: the characters are meanies

Great criticism.
>>
>>71567080
>And I go to the gym 4 times a week so fuck off.

alright lets see some pics with a time stamp
>>
give me the synopsis of this.
>>
File: check_it.jpg (32 KB, 599x449) Image search: [Google]
check_it.jpg
32 KB, 599x449
>>71567118
peep my apartment bruh. no basements here
>>
>>71567080
>only thing you guys can go on is "Hur you're just jealous".

its so obvious you are anon
>>
>>71567109
>wahh, someone didn't like a boring movie that I liked so I'm gonna call then liberal numales because I can't muster a defense of the film because it's just an indiewood version of American Pie wahhhh
>>
>>71567080
>lol, it's hilarious how again the only thing you guys can go on is "Hur you're just jealous".
Ironically it's actually woman logic. When some stupid bitch gets criticized she'll resort to "you're just haterz whatevs YOLO :)"
>>
>>71567080
>the movie is bad because it's just them going to bars and having conversations

Man, someone resurrect Ebert. We found his protégé.
>>
pretty good
i hope he makes one for the 90s and 00s like this instead of something like boyhood again
>>
>>71567193
you keep comparing it to American Pie. why?
>>
>>71567115
Only balding morons reliving their glory days like this and boring rotten tomatoes pseudo intellectuals like this
>>
>>71567027
You sure got me, Reddit! XD
>>
>>71567227
>Respect Plebger Cuckbert
lmao everythng you need to know about the infantile Linklater fanbase.
>>
>>71567193
>so I'm gonna call then liberal numales

The fact that you are raging and responding every half minute probably makes his statements about you very true though
>>
>>71567247
Both are coming of age stories about dumbasses and lack any real depth.
>>
>>71567193
Let me get this straight. You start a thread by calling a Linklater movie bad (with trash criticisms), & then you get mad when the people that respond laugh at how pathetic you are?

Consider suicide, friend!
>>
File: 1445454777172.webm (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1445454777172.webm
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>71567115
How can anybody hate Chad?
>>
>>71567286
EWS doesn't lack depth though. THere's no "dude he fucked the pie" scene to get the normies talking. It's a subtle movie about college.
>>
>>71567266
>Plebger
>Cuckbert
>lmao

I now know what's wrong with OP, fellas. He wasn't even old enough to buy the tickets!
>>
>>71567249

You have to be over 18+ to post on 4chan anon
>>
EWS is one of the easiest Linklater movies to enjoy. It doesn't surprise me that some shallow, bullied autist here on 4contrariachan doesn't like it.
>>
>>71567249
>reliving their glory days

At least they had glory days. What past history do modern millennials have that they can fawn over? Shit posting on Chinese image board on a Saturday night? Facebook memes? 9000 hours on WoW? Almost all of millennials history is digital in origin. Your fucking life is a joke and you don't even know it
>>
>>71567334
>You start a thread
Not me.
>>71567368
>EWS doesn't lack depth though.
You're right. Eyes Wide Shut has a lot to ponder about.
>THere's no "dude he fucked the pie" scene to get the normies talking. It's a subtle movie about college.
Just because it doesn't go for gallows humor doesn't mean it has depth. It's an American Pie for the indie crowd. Shallow and moronic, but without going for the LCD.
>>
>>71567379
If you respect the man who infantilized film criticism then you are trapped at the mental level of a 9 year old no matter how old you are. All authentic disciples of cinema rejoiced upon his death.

>positive opinion of ebert = leftist
No leftists allowed here friend, you're in the wrong place. This is a board for uncompromizing right wing art champions.
>>
>>71567412
Funny since you have the mentality and taste of a pretentious teenager
>>
>>71564276
I really hope you're a woman. No man should ever say "dudebros"
>>
>>71567490
Take a look in the fucking mirror bozo
>>
>>71567553

Not a millennial
>>
>>71567509
I don't respect the man though. Didn't care for his shallow opinions. That's EXACTLY why I compared him to you. You're making my point for me. Thanks!
>>
File: 1463369486143.jpg (39 KB, 492x388) Image search: [Google]
1463369486143.jpg
39 KB, 492x388
>Somebody does not like the film I liked
>They're just jealous beta cucks

/tv/ at it again with it's insightful discussion on film.
>>
>>71567514

And you have bitterness and anger of a 40 year old cat lady
>>
>>71567571
Unless you're pushing 40 then yes you are
>>
>>71567593
>posts image from /v/ sensibility autismo manchild trilogy
And you expect to be taken seriously in this discussion of actual fucking Linklater KINO
lmao.

Every adult video game player should cut their wrists imo
>>
>>71567596
But I thought he was underage, hence the reminder of the age limit of this website.
>>
>>71567571
Bash millennials all you want, it's not their fault boomers ruined everything for them by because helicopter best friends.
>>
If you don't like this movie you're a cuck!
>>
>>71567164
>weed
>5 hour energy
>fagbook

Better tidy up before mommy gets home and takes your iPhone
>>
>>71567654
You'd have to be either a leftist nu-male cuck or just plain juvenile about cinema to fail to see the merits of everybody wants some 2bh.
>>
>>71567500
Let me preface this by saying I'm the type of person who uses "faggot" as an insult so you might be triggered by someone like me in real life.

But I disagree wholeheartedly that American Pie and Everybody Wants Some!! are cut from the same cloth, so to speak. For one thing, Everybody Wants Some!! doesn't hinge its entire movie on a premise that is relateable to any dumb high schooler who's never been laid. There's no "lose your virginity" contest. ANother thing about Everybody Wants Some!! that sets it apart from, say, Animal House is that it shows what it would ACTUALLY be like to live in a house full of student-athletes in college. You're on your guard constantly, and everything is a game. Everyone has to take shit, and if you complain about taking shit, you're at the bottom of the totem pole. It's one of the finest portrayals of that dynamic I've seen in film. I highy doubt you will come up with anything better. These type of movies are seen as "problematic" and thus won't be made for too much longer, but Linklater managed to give virtue to this all-male, slightly chauvinistic scenario, and that's the best gift he could give this modern era for film.
>>
>>71567675
>5 hour energy

WHAT A FUCKING UNDERAGE FAG LOL xD
>>
>>71564151
Better than Boyhood.
Watch this and Magic Mike XXl back to back OP, and man the fuck up.
>>
>>71567635
>KINO
You are /v/ sensibility
>>
>>71567709
Yes, that's what I was implying
>>
I liked Everybody Wants Some!!; if you've seen Dazed and Confused and his some of his other work, you'll likely be comfy

Of course, college-aged young adults didn't talk like that in 1980, and they sure as shit don't talk like that in 2016

But if the viewer can overlook this, EWS!! is worthwhile viewing
>>
>>71567654
If you say it's because of the characters then yes, you are.
And this is coming from someone who hates that meme. I actually like Louis CK.
>>
>>71567743
Oh my bad, the laptop makes him a fag and the 5 hour energy makes him underage or living at home.

You're basically a modern day Sherlock Holmes.
>>
>>71567360
He was goat in this movie.

>>71564151
Whole thing was very comfy. Nothing much happened, but it didn't matter because it was still really enjoyable.
>>
>>71567786
And if you didn't like the movie because of the plot (or the lack of one) or humor then you're just not a Linklater fan. Simple.
>>
>>71567720
>Watch this and Magic Mike XXl back to back OP, and man the fuck up.

Possibly the gayest thing someone could do
>>
>>71567695
>These type of movies are seen as "problematic" and thus won't be made for too much longer

Or maybe it was because it was boring as fuck?

You're literally implying that anyone that does not like the film are the sjw type that gets offended by everything.
>>
>>71567857
My problem wasn't the lack of a plot, it was the lack of anything interesting, even dazed and confused had conflict, the main character wasn't a super confident jock, he was on the baseball team but bullied by everyone else. In this movie you couldn't tell one character apart from the other in terms of personality
>>
>>71567695
>For one thing, Everybody Wants Some!! doesn't hinge its entire movie on a premise that is relateable to any dumb high schooler who's never been laid.
Fine, American Pie 2 then.
>ANother thing about Everybody Wants Some!! that sets it apart from, say, Animal House is that it shows what it would ACTUALLY be like to live in a house full of student-athletes in college.
Wow, it's about this one thing specifically which makes it totally unlike every other coming of age movie!
>You're on your guard constantly, and everything is a game. Everyone has to take shit, and if you complain about taking shit, you're at the bottom of the totem pole
Sounds like Animal House. Or American Pie 2.
>It's one of the finest portrayals of that dynamic I've seen in film.I highy doubt you will come up with anything better.
It's not that interesting to begin with.
>These type of movies are seen as "problematic" and thus won't be made for too much longer
What movies? I thought it was one of a kind?
> but Linklater managed to give virtue to this all-male, slightly chauvinistic scenario, and that's the best gift he could give this modern era for film
Take your paranoid delusions to /pol/ or a subreddit. Nobody cares.
>>
>>71564276
>It captured a bunch of dudebros being massive retards for 2 hours yes
>I can't believe this is actually the spiritual successor to dazed and focused.
You can't? They're retards on that film too, man.
And I really like both films. It's refreshing how he embraces and understands that type of people, instead of just looking down on them.
Kinda gives me faith in humanity to be honest.
>>
File: 1465010781678.png (84 KB, 245x316) Image search: [Google]
1465010781678.png
84 KB, 245x316
>>71567919
> In this movie you couldn't tell one character apart from the other in terms of personality

It's almost like this movie takes place over a few days and you can't really get to know anyone over a weekend.
>>
>>71567923
Whatever, faggot.
>>
>>71567786
>I actually like Louis CK
Hey, so you're a cuck.
>>
>>71567951
Dazed and confused took place over ONE DAY you moron
>>
>>71567867
You afraid of human contact, anon?
Come here, I'll give you hug.
>>
>>71568008
Don't forget to cup the balls.
>>
>>71567951
Because Dazed and Confused took place for a matter of months right?

Fuck off retard, it's entirely possible to get to "know" characters in a movie.

Just because Everybody Wants Some had not a single interesting character you're gonna act as if that was Linklater's point.
>>
So who is looking forward to his 00s movie?
>>
>>71567857
I am a Linklater fan, man. I really liked the film, what are you talking about.
>>
Thought it was absolutely hilarious and comfy. If you hate it you probably browse r9k.
>>
>>71568051
He already made bad news bears
>>
>>71567978
Little wonder you liked this movie.
>>
>>71567919
The fact that this one doesn't have any conflict is what it makes it interesting, to be honest.
>>
>>71567923

> the alternating green text assertion/black text rebuttal format

Literally the most butt hurt of all the post archetypes.
>>
>>71567993
Yet you can't get into their personalities in that movie either, there's a foundation of a personality and if you can't distinguish each foundation from the next that's you're fault because it was incredibly easy to tell these characters apart when provided with how little time we got to see of them.

>>71568034
>comparing the last day of high school to the last weekend of college

One you've had and known your friends for 4 years, the other you've just arrived at college for the first time.
>>
>>71568103
Might I recommend

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_(1964_film)
>>
>>71568130
I watched the 40 min version.
Kinda cool.
>>
>>71568080
I mean a film like Dazed and Confused, Everybody wants some, and to some degree SubUrbia.
>>
>>71568109
>I have no rebuttal so I'll just focus on this superficial bullshit
>>
>>71568122
>Yet you can't get into their personalities in that movie either

Yes you can, there is more complexity and depth in the characters in dazed and confused than EWS.

We see that entire crew for 2 hours and they don't develop or change at all
>>
>>71568218
>Yes you can, there is more complexity and depth in the characters in dazed and confused than EWS.

Because they all know each other you fucking idiot.
>>
>>71568256
What does that have to do with anything?
>>
His best since Bernie, and so comfy is almost zen. Linklater's craft here is so effortless.
>>
>>71568256
There are plenty of movies where characters who have never met before develop and change throughout the movie and we get to know them.

None of this happened in Everybody Wants Some.
>>
>>71568256
I can't tell if you're baiting or not. Who all knows each other? The main character is a kid who is about to be a freshman in high school. In EWS everybody knows each other and are essentially the same person
>>
File: mfw16.png (313 KB, 701x394) Image search: [Google]
mfw16.png
313 KB, 701x394
>>71564151
>it only took 12 weeks to make

I really liked it though. I wish Willoughby was in the movie more
>>
>>71568292
You're a complete fucking idiot.

Is Jacob supposed to know and flush out the characters personalities in conversation? No, it's the awkward first days of college, not the friends who've known each other for the past 4 years.

>>71568335
That's the fucking point of the movie, did you know your buddies inside and out the first fucking weekend of college?
>>
>>71568335
>There are plenty of movies where characters who have never met before develop and change throughout the movie and we get to know them.
oh what, like Lord of the Rings? name some.
>>
>>71568313
He barely made an effort so that's why.
>>
>>71567162
Freshman moves in to a house with his baseball teammates in college, and spends the weekend hanging out and going to parties with them, and then goes on a date with a girl he met early in the movie, and then starts class
>>
>>71568374
>You're a complete fucking idiot.
For asking a question?
>Is Jacob supposed to know and flush out the characters personalities in conversation?
Pretty sure he shouldn't flush it.
> No, it's the awkward first days of college, not the friends who've known each other for the past 4 years.
So character development and depth depends on if the characters know one another? Huh.
>>
>>71568400
You say that as a bad thing, but I honestly prefer this kind of work to filming a kid for 12 fucking years. This is his late Ozu phase.
>>
>>71568053
I was just adding on to your point bud
>>
>>71568385

Lord of the Rings actually handled their characters better than everybody wants some. At least in lord of the rings not everybody is a generic jock.

If you want another example then Memories of Murder is one.
>>
>>71568531
>So character development and depth depends on if the characters know one another? Huh.

You rely on conversation to get to the the characters, so yeah, the fact the character doesn't know anybody else kinda makes it hard to gauge personalities on a weekend. For him and the viewer.
>>
>>71568618
>Lord of the Rings
>Memories of Murder
could you be any more of a 15 year old?
>>
>>71568647
get to know*
>>
>>71568652
Good job not addressing anything though, you really showed him.
>>
>>71568724
I don't have to. Anyone who's watched all three of those movies will know why he's an idiot. I'd just be preaching to the choir.
>>
>>71568652
>if you read a literary classic you are a teenager
Please stop embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>71568724
>needing to address someone comparing LOTR to Linklater movies

Nah.
>>
>>71568768
I was a teenager when I read LOTR though
>>
>>71564276
>that kid who never got picked for team sports in school
>>
>>71568776
>>71568760

It's pretty obvious that if Everybody Wants Some was not made by Linklater you guys would trash it for being a shitty.

You faggots are breaking your backs trying to protect a hack like Linklater for nothing.
>>
>>71568900
if it wasn't made by Linklater it'd be a completely different movie you fucking idiot.
>>
>>71568900
Linklater sucks but this movie was fun.
>>
>>71568547
But Ozu was an accomplished master who practically invented an entirely different standard of film grammar from the western world. Linklater films look like television.
>>
>>71568924
Do you have fucking autism?
>>
>>71568986
Do you? Making up an imaginary scenario were some literally who would make this exact same movie. Who would direct this movie if not Linklater? David FIncher? Paul Thomas Anderson?
>>
>>71568986
>if it was made by someone else you'd X it

Wanna quantify that? How exactly could two different people make the exact same movie?
>>
>>71569024
This guy is retarded, I wouldn't bother anymore.
>>
>>71569024
>Who would direct this movie if not Linklater?
Some other middlebrow director with television aesthetics? I think his point was, if this movie were directed by a no-name, you wouldn't be so eager to ride its proverbial dick.
>>
File: f.jpg (21 KB, 480x600) Image search: [Google]
f.jpg
21 KB, 480x600
>>71566925
>In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
>>
File: 1411496014162.jpg (49 KB, 546x658) Image search: [Google]
1411496014162.jpg
49 KB, 546x658
>>71569068
Yeah, and you guys are so manly because you enjoyed a flick about jocks.
>>
>>71569108
>if this movie were directed by a no-name

Literally makes no sense at all, what you saying is "if someone made an entirely different movie you'd have a different opinion on it!"
>>
>>71568959
Neither of what you said is right. Ozu developed a very particular style, yes, but is not an "entirely different standard from western world",don exoticize him, you're missing the point of his films.
And Linklater's films doesn't look like television at all, in this one less than ever. He has an eye for movement and montage that few directors have today, particularly in the US.
>>
>>71569131
Gotta project a little less than that, anon. I'd be embarassing myself to divulge this much information about myself.
>>
>>71569144
No, autismo, what he's saying is, if this exact film were released under another director's name, you wouldn't be so quick to proclaim its brilliance.
>>
>>71569214
>if this exact film were released under another director's name, you wouldn't be so quick to proclaim its brilliance.
prove it ;)
>>
>>71569214
Not him, but it has all the signs of a Linklater film, if it was directed by someone else it would be a entirely different film. That argument is pointless.
>>
>>71568034
all of them were pretty interesting though.

willoughby was a 30 year old phony who couldnt handle being in the real world so he kept playing college ball

mcreynolds was arrogant but could back it up since he actually got drafted, actually was a good hitter

Plummer was a perpetually stoned jock but even he could be introspective about what he was doing in college.

Finn was a guy who accepted he'll never play pro ball so he just tries to enjoy whatever time he has left in college. he justified dressing up as a cowboy or a punk to get laid wasn't being fake, it was being "adaptable".

how can you not like at least some of these guys.
>>
>>71569214
Well what I told you before, autismoob: I don't even like Linklater, he's a fucking hack but this movie hit all the right marks.

>No, autismo, what he's saying is, if this exact film were released under another director's name

Except that's not what he said.
>>
>>71569162
> Ozu developed a very particular style, yes, but is not an "entirely different standard from western world"
Um, yeah he did. You can argue the semantics, but Ozu's films are completely different than films in the western world at that time. Nobody made films like this. It was more than mere style.
>don exoticize him
Oh brother.
>you're missing the point of his films.
Do tell.
>And Linklater's films doesn't look like television at all, in this one less than ever. He has an eye for movement and montage that few directors have today, particularly in the US.
Even if I'm being generous, he's a very minor talent who specializes in character stories, but has no real rigor in his craft. Ozu on the other hand was a master and one of the finest filmmakers to live. I think you're the one who doesn't understand.
>>
Such a fucking tiresome film to go through. It's like Linklater made a cliff notes version of Dazed & Confused while being smug and self satisfied at spinning his wheels.

Nostalgic americana only works so many times before the well runs dry.

It was rather disturbing film in that sense, it was like watching Richard fellate to himself
>>
>>71569402
>Nostalgic americana only works so many times before the well runs dry.

Because it's gonna segway right into those those nostalgic 2000's in a decade or two, right? The 80's were the height of youth in the West, it's all downhill from here.
>>
>>71569273
Again, the gist is that Linklater is a pretty unremarkable talent. You're taking this a bit literally. Nobody is saying, "imagine this film directed by Paul WS Anderson! Not so good now, is it?!"
>>
>>71569452
>The 80's were the height of youth in the West, it's all downhill from here.
Well cong fucking ratz somehow you've missed Linklaters point about 'if you really think this is the best time of ur life ur pathetic' which is written in Dazed And Confused, EWS andS lacker
>>
>>71569452
>The 80's were the height of youth in the West

Let me guess, because that was when you were a teenager?
>>
>>71569508
>if you really think this is the best time of ur life ur pathetic

That has nothing to do with what I'm saying.

>Linklater's coming of age films are about the decline of Western society

Get fucked, no they aren't.
>>
>>71569541
Nigger, are you blind to the world around you or what? We're going to be on the brink of collapse come a few decades, maybe some more global warfare.
>>
>>71569581
>We're going to be on the brink of collapse come a few decades
every generaiton ever spouting this shit read fucking history books nigger
>>
>>71569368
Ozu's films are completely different from ALL the films of its time, even the japanese. This is why i say you're exoticize him, there is no east-west division there, he actually only saw western films for long periods of his life.
And Linklater's craft is there, like it or not. Just because he uses reverse shots and music cues doesn't mean there isn't a cohesive, fluid style that is present in veryone of his films. And I compared him to late Ozu because he made light, effortless films about simple people and everyday life, but of fucking course he doesn't hold Ozu a candle, no one has.
>>
>>71569581
>We're going to be on the brink of collapse come a few decades

People have been saying this for the last 5 decades, yet the world just keeps on getting better.
>>
>>71569607
I find that Ozu is at his most interesting visually when his focus strays from people to instead observe their surroundings and the places they don't fit as opposed to listening to anecdotal histories and observing the places they do fit. Unlucky me, then, that Ozu's films are people telling stories from within their own homes. I've said it before but I feel it bears repeating here - narrative is a valuable facet of filmmaking, but not when it is the sole commodity. And yes, Ozu's compositions are specific but eventually he loses steam instead preferring to give his actors the space to hold our attention. This would all be fine if I found his stories at all interesting, perhaps if I agreed with his ideologies (or at the very least, the ideologies of his characters) - but I don't. I wish I found something in Ozu - that spark of recognition and emotive connection that would pull me through the narratives I'm uninterested in, pull me through the only-intermittently interesting aesthetic choices, but I don't. I get nothing from watching people talk about doing things - I'd prefer to watch people doing things, thanks. Or watch places, without people at all. For these reasons, this may be the final Ozu for me.
>>
File: 1378184591194.jpg (7 KB, 245x250) Image search: [Google]
1378184591194.jpg
7 KB, 245x250
>expect to see some semblance of discussion about this movie
>cuck cuck cuck numale gay
Troubling.
>>
>>71569597
>read history books nigger

History books on the fall of the Roman Empire are extremely relevant to today, fuck you're an idiot.

>>71569625
>yet the world just keeps on getting better.

Kek. You do realize come 100 years Islam is going to dominate most of the West, right?
>>
Ozu's failure as an artist is a reflection of the Japanese people as a collective lacking empathy and conception of the numinous. His films lack 'that spark of emotive connection' because his people lack the internal awareness and emotional volatility that permit European art to communicate on a more profound and abstract level, just as they lack the ability to relativise their experience of reality. The results – as women are incapable of making art about anything other than their vaginas, so too are the Japs incapable of making art about anything other than being Japs.
>>
>>71569687
First day on /tv/?
>>
>>71569700
>You do realize come 100 years Islam is going to dominate most of the West

Humans won't even exist in a 100 years, by then we'd already merged with AI.
>>
>>71569786
We're not even going to be colonizing space in 100 years, put down the video game controller.
>>
>>71569607
>Ozu's films are completely different from ALL the films of its time, even the japanese. This is why i say you're exoticize him, there is no east-west division there, he actually only saw western films for long periods of his life.
But traditional film grammar is of western descent. I'm not saying Ozu wasn't influenced by western films or that he invented an eastern method of grammer. I'm just saying he invented a grammar that is unlike anything in the western world, where film grammar developed.
>>
>>71569625
When white countries become less white we won't get better bro
>>
>>71569959
>But traditional film grammar is of western descent.
You sure about that? They invented the medium, that's for sure. The actual grammar, was developed, bits by bits, almost at the same time all over the industries fo the world, with different results. Unless you still think it was invented in Birth of a Nation.
Also, would you tell me how is Ozu's grammar so different? He broke the 180 rule and his camera's position was different, but is that enough for calling it a different "grammar"?
>>
>>71564276
>dudebros
I want this summer of tumblr to end already.
Thread replies: 219
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.