[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dirty Harry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9
File: 822570-dirty_harry.jpg (26 KB, 564x640) Image search: [Google]
822570-dirty_harry.jpg
26 KB, 564x640
Are these films actually good or is it just the 'Well do you punk?' meme?
>>
>>71354808

You only need to watch Dirty Harry and Magnum Force, and nah they are legit well made movies, Scorpio is one of the best movie villains ever made, his performance at the time was so chilling he got tons of hatemail for it.
>>
I actually enjoy the series a lot, the first one is obviously the best but the sequels are all really cool (especially Magnum Force which shows the effects of overdone vigilantism).
I haven't seen the last one (The Dead Pool) in a long time so I can't speak on it but the others are great.
>>
>>71354808
The first is great, the second is good, and the rest are crap.

One of the main issues is that Scorpio is the only really good villain.
>>
The Enforcer has its moments.
>>
First movie is excellent: dark, extremely cynical and disturbing (echoing the compliments of the guy playing Scorpio), and relentlessly gritty.

I never saw the sequels.

On a similar level Death Wish is also an excellent movie.
>>
File: Scorpio__boy.jpg (25 KB, 528x321) Image search: [Google]
Scorpio__boy.jpg
25 KB, 528x321
>>71354808
First and second only. Second isn't as good as the first but worth it for Hal Holobrook's character.

But nothing tops Scorpio. That dirty hippie got what was coming to him.
>>
It's the quintessential cop movie
>>
The Dead Pool is considered the weakest of the bunch but it's still better than 99% of the crap that comes out nowadays.
>>
>>71354808
The first one is great, the second one is also great. After that the series gradually turns into "Clint Eastwood is shooting bad guys again, isn't that awesome?"
>>
>>71354808
>using the gun and camera tricks for phallic symbology
>>
>>71357019
so much this: the worst Bronson and Clint movies are still 100x better than today's dreck.
>>
>>71357152
even Death Wish V and the arcade scene?
>>
>>71357152
Yeah. At least Bronson and Clint are good actors who play interesting characters, even if the movie around them is crap.
>>
Magnum Force is absolutely peak 70's noir.
Just a nasty, nasty, nasty fucking film. Check it.
>>
>>71357301
I mean, it's good and all, but the original is the best, and possibly the only pro-fascism film made in America.
>>
>>71357172
Death Wish 5 is total shit but still better than any Jason Statham film, for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG8QUUowbGg

>>71357346
>the only pro-fascism film made in America
Come on man, browse /pol/ less.
>>
File: 2UUlJkq.png (105 KB, 479x378) Image search: [Google]
2UUlJkq.png
105 KB, 479x378
>>71357460
my sides
>>
>>71357460
His reaction before it blows up is goofy as fuck and it's hilarious. also>>71357521 fake as shit to the point of hilarity. Insane movie.
>>
>>71356935
Het all hype for the evilest villain of all time

Get a cackling shrill voiced ginger who is so le evil cause he threatens and kills kids. Omg much bad so evilness
>>
>>71356935
Holy shit, he's got Nicholas Bradford from "Eight is Enough"... You gotta save him or they'll hae to call it "Seven is Enough"!!!!.
>>
>>71357797
Scorpio is just a product of the liberal justice system, and it's up to Inspector Harry "Might is Right" Callahan to clean up their mess.
>>
One problem I have is how people miss the point of Dirty Harry being called that, the movie isn't as black and white un morality as people make it out to be. Even Don Siegel made some statements. There's a great trailer that begins with "this is a movie about a couple of killers, Harry's the one with the badge." The idea that this movie is fascist even with its one dimensional villain is wrong in my opinion at least.
>>
>>71357798
>sensiblechuckle.gif

>>71357797
I guess it might be trite now but a character who... rapes and kills children is still pretty dark in movies.

>>71357521
>>71357687
The later death wishes are total shit. Just look at this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mXXEjhpwJ8

>>71358132
Not to mention the whole point of the scene where Harry throws away his badge at the end of the film.
>>
>>71358271
>>71358132
Yes but the lasting impression of the movie is clear: The police would be more effective if they acted like Dirty Harry.
>>
It's like Rambo or Rocky. First movie is GOAT, then as the series goes along it descends into almost self-parody. Still enjoyable but very different from the beast that wast he first movie.
>>
>>71358271
I'm well aware that every Death Wish movie after the first one is awful. That series pretty much suffered the same fate as Dirty Harry where it just became "Charles Bronson's pissed again and he's out to shoot some more criminals."
>>
>>71358473
No denying that, but at least they were fun and stupid movies.

Speaking of fake people blowing up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emt-ufnM58I
>>
>>71358601
>>71358271
>>71357460

Where did it all go so wrong?

https://youtu.be/DyvzfyqYm_s
>>
>>71358601
Dude on the right looks passable but Trejo looks like a cheap doll. KEK
>>
File: 1466992302707.gif (2 MB, 623x340) Image search: [Google]
1466992302707.gif
2 MB, 623x340
>>71358353
>It's like Rambo or Rocky. First movie is GOAT, then as the series goes along it descends into almost self-parody. Still enjoyable but very different from the beast that wast he first movie.

Magnum Force is the best Dirty Harry movie u niggers. Here's why...

> Dirty Harry is a nihilist two hander that doesn't know what it is.
>Is criticised for being fascist by muh love and peacers, feminists, other useful idiots
> Siegel and Clint Wood are like oh, my bad, how about this new film?...
>New film is non stop, highly stylised conveyor belt of filth getting ventilated in every room in the house, out on the street, round the pool, on the freeway, in the garage. It just can't stop killing.
> Ends with more violence, this time bent coppers who seem a bit gay getting all fucked over
> Harry shrugs, winks, kills boss, end credits.

It knew what it was, and it was fucking bliss. And they will never make anything like it ever again.
>>
Did Dirty Harry invent the action hero one liner? Magnum Force has the whole " A man's got to know his limitations" thing and I wonder.
>>
>>71358933
>Did Dirty Harry invent the action hero one liner?
No, westerns and the Bond series pre-date it
>>
>>71359003

Yeah this

>FILL YOUR HANDS YOU SONUVABITCH!
>>
File: milius.jpg (1 MB, 1369x1629) Image search: [Google]
milius.jpg
1 MB, 1369x1629
The first two movie's screenplays were written in part by John Milius, probably why they are the strongest.
>>
>>71359437
>le manly pop-history, combat fetishist screenwriter
Peckinpah shat on him at every turn
>>
>>71359437
will Hollywood ever again be graced with such an alpha male? Could a Milius script even be greenlit in this day and age?
>>
>>71359437
A real hero and a real human bean.
>>
>>71358933

I read clint eastwood one liners with his voice kek
>>
>>71359540
>will Hollywood ever again be graced with such an alpha male? Could a Milius script even be greenlit in this day and age?

Nope, his output was pretty much the case study the fags used in the eighties for fencing off actual politics from cinema.
>>
>>71360277
People listened to gays in the 80's? Why?
>>
>>71354808

A few of them are fine visceral cop-doesn't-fuck-around films. Rest are trash.
>>
I liked all five movies.
>>
>>71360631
>People listened to gays in the 80's? Why?

Not THE fags, just general all round sell outs and panderers. It was the dawn of the age of quips.
>>
>>71358601
>No denying that, but at least they were fun and stupid movies.

I unironically love Bronson's measured performance and prop handling here.

I have a copy of The Mechanic anon, still not seen it, should I watch it?
>>
File: Garak.jpg (24 KB, 635x348) Image search: [Google]
Garak.jpg
24 KB, 635x348
>>71356935
His performances are always a little off-kilter.
>>
>>71358353
Dirty Harry never went into parody territory.
>>
The Dead Pool is way better then the Enforcer
>>
>>71358271
Death Wish 3 has the best soundtrack ever!
http://youtu.be/Vk3W4RNX1z4
>>
On the subject of Clint, how bad is paint the wagon.
>>
>>71364430
not as bad as Trouble With the Curve
>>
>>71354808
They're cliche, but only because they invented most of those cliches. If you can understand and see past that, they're good.
>>
File: image.jpg (331 KB, 1600x861) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
331 KB, 1600x861
In Death Wish 3 one of the thugs has a plunger as s weapon during the riot.

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>71359437
You just know the guy fucked around with his katana when he was alone.
>>
>>71365332
I bet he is more of a broad sword kind of guy, probably has a replica Conan sword.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.