[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the most powerful scene in modern cinema? The soundtrack
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 37
Is this the most powerful scene in modern cinema?
The soundtrack alone makes me cry. It just reeks sadness, grief and loss.
This was the peak of capeshit IMO
>>
>>71263189
i wouldn't say it's the most powerful scene in modern scene but Watchmen is definitely one of the top three capefilms ever made.
>>
Scene is stolen from Predator.
Arnie did it better.
Zack is hack.
>>
>>71263189
Synder has his moments of genius. He's like an idiot savant.
>>
>>71263189
Most powerful scene capeshit, yeah. still a good film overall
>>
>>71263189
quick question

how do marvel fans feel knowing they will never have a scene that comes close to this?
>>
File: output9.webm (125 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
output9.webm
125 KB, 720x405
>>
This + TDK ending = capekino
>>
>>71263189
No.

Consider suicide.
>>
>>71263189
>cinema
it was a 1:1 copy of the comic
>>
Watchmen is a steaming pile of shit, made by an absolute hack who doesn't give a fuck about the themes and characters of the source material, instead wanking over costumes and making still images of the film look exactly like the panels to court the reddit-tier OMG SOO AMAZINGGG SO FAITHFUL fuckwits.
>>
File: 1466893457.jpg (145 KB, 1753x792) Image search: [Google]
1466893457.jpg
145 KB, 1753x792
>most powerful scene in modern cinema
>The soundtrack alone makes me cry
>It just reeks sadness, grief and loss

https://vimeo.com/28989315
>>
>>71263333
Snyderfags wish.
>>
File: Jultr.jpg (94 KB, 1212x528) Image search: [Google]
Jultr.jpg
94 KB, 1212x528
>>71263296
Er...
>>
Rorschach is /pol/ personified.
>>
>>71263445

>Existential discussion ends with superpowered being killing the inferior opponent
>Is cartoonish

What did Disney mean by this?
>>
File: 1457699940803.png (152 KB, 438x420) Image search: [Google]
1457699940803.png
152 KB, 438x420
>>71263426
>>
File: 1341685376588.jpg (79 KB, 484x566) Image search: [Google]
1341685376588.jpg
79 KB, 484x566
I would just love to sit down with Rorschach and go over 100 years of statistical data

from crime, to poverty, infant mortality rate, social mobility, equality, ... etc
>>
>>71263373
Fuck off Alan you deranged freak
>>
>>71263652
Yeah him or Rust Cohle
>>
>>71263445
>2 robots talking
lmao
>>
File: 1438557958595.jpg (92 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1438557958595.jpg
92 KB, 500x500
>>71263652
>>71263701
>>
>>71263189
the boat scene from TDK, but then again it's not really capeshit
>>
Fuck this was such a good movie. Synder is a bad screenwriter and also kind of a bad director in many ways, but he nailed it because the source material was solid. His sense of feeling and atmosphere and cinematography is sublime
>>
>>71263806
that scene sucked. you knew what was going to happen the entire time. fuck that shitty movie.
>>
File: 1466789075528.jpg (265 KB, 874x1189) Image search: [Google]
1466789075528.jpg
265 KB, 874x1189
>>71263806
>>71263445
>>71263189
>>71263304
I feel tainted by the amount of stupidity and bad taste around this board
I bet you read in your life less than 5 books
>>
>>71263996
hello armchair intellectual, i wish i was just like you!
>>
>>71263189
if you're a child, then the scene might resonate. if you're an adult, i'd suggest watching actual films.
>>
>>71263373
It was actually better than your funny book
>>
File: Just like good ol days.webm (2 MB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
Just like good ol days.webm
2 MB, 360x240
>>71263189
nah, but this was
>>
>>71263373
The fact that there are people who want nothing more than a verbatim thematic and visual rehash of a comic book story is utterly beyond my comprehension. What would the point of that even be?

With a book, it's understandable, as the imagery is all in the imagination of the reader, and seeing that translated to a visual medium can be a task in its own right. Expecting a comic book story to be done to the same degree of faithfulness is a bit dumb and fanboyish, in my opinion. If the writers and directors aren't free to ignore themes that might not be all that accessible to the general public or even introduce new themes all their own, why not just read the graphic novel again?

Sin City worked well because its central themes are basically just film noir revisited. Watchmen, on the other hand, is a metatextual deconstruction of the inherent ineffectualness of costumed "superheroes" and the detrimental effect they have on the people who seek nothing more than escape through them.

I don't blame them for not attempting to tackle that on the big screen. Normies can't even handle the messages being put forward in MoS and BvS.
>>
>>71263996
delete that picture its spooky

also your wrong as i've read all 7 harry potter books
>>
>>71264342
Oh Christ, right in the fucking feels every time.
>>
>>71263333
No it wasn't. The comic doesn't go to cartoonish levels by having Dan see Rorschach die and then proceed to beat up Ozymandis in a WWE tier fight.
>>
>>71264342
>tfw we never got to see Dan beat the shit out of the gang
>>
>>71264447
No, the comic has Dan go off and fuck Sally, reeking of Nostalgia while Rorschach dies.

Now go ahead and try to sell that one to the general audience.
>>
>>71264373
>What would the point of that even be?
Adding to a good story with good actors, music, cinematography and special effects.

The Watchmen film didn't do any of this, except for the dude who plays Rorschach who is pretty good, albeit too much of a Batman voice instead of being a monotone weirdo.

>Expecting a comic book story to be done to the same degree of faithfulness is a bit dumb and fanboyish, in my opinion.
The book was said to be unfilmable for a reason. If you can't do it right, don't do it period.

> Normies can't even handle the messages being put forward in MoS and BvS.
People understand the themes of those movies fine. It's just that they're NOT GOOD MOVIES. And any serious is taken away anyway due to the schlock that Snyder likes to put into it.
>>
No, this is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry4OytlcLA8
>>
>>71263189
This is bait.

Do not respond to bait.

Do not post bait.
>>
>>71264545
>Now go ahead and try to sell that one to the general audience.
I care about what's good, not what's accessible.

If some normie doesn't understand why the squid is there, regardless of how much the book sets it up and how it parodies stuff like Starro or Mole Man, it's not the story's fault.
>>
>>71264342
what film is this?
>>
>>71264599
Yes this is good advice...HOWEVER, you simultaneously responded to bait while baiting my own reply.
>>
>>71263996
>why d-don't you like what i like
>>
>>71263445
The most standout juvenile scene in the flick

So fucking bad! You can just SEE Joss Whedon congratulating himself for writing it that day
>>
a complete disgrace compared to the comic
>>
>>71264588
Pretty good movie actually.

I thought this scene was better though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C69RtZzKsFE&t=4m25s
>>
File: 0866-86-6.jpg (70 KB, 602x603) Image search: [Google]
0866-86-6.jpg
70 KB, 602x603
>>71263996
>tfw people seriously think that capeshit is deep
>>
>>71264587
>People understand the themes of those movies fine.

Really? Then tell me why Superman's surrounded with religious imagery and why it's important to what's coming in terms of the continuing story.

Take all the time you need.
>>
not enough quips for me
>>
Why was he crying? I don't get it.
>>
File: :(.png (2 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
:(.png
2 MB, 1366x768
>>
>>71264756
You completely ignored what I was saying and why. Starro and Mole Man would have actually been far easier to explain than why Dan reeks of Nostalgia.
>>
>>71264798
Also Watchmen.
>>
>>71264943
>They built this church in the center of the city so everyone could be equally close to God. It's fascinating - the geometry of belief

I cringed in my seat and almost left the theater

Its like a film student practicing screenwriting by writing out nonsense philosophical quotes, but they actually made it into the movie
>>
Begins and TDK are literally the only capekinos.

TDKR is memekino.
>>
>>71265110
Not really. It's still using foreshadowing.

>>71265041
>Then tell me why Superman's surrounded with religious imagery and why it's important to what's coming in terms of the continuing story.
That he's going to die and come back to life.

That's really it. There's nothing intelligent about that as Superman has very little in common with Jesus Christ or the Icarus story or demons or whatever the hell else Lex is seen screaming about in the movie. It's Snyder being pretentious.
>>
>>71264447
Adrian lets Dan beat him, and speaks to him as if he were a child having a temper tantrum
>>
>>71264522
He does in the Director's Cut.
>>
>>71263189
God tier trailer

Shit tier movie
>>
>>71263453
>wheres fedora
>wheres trench coat
>hides face
>homeless slob

He's /r9k/ not /pol/ my friend
>>
>>71264342
>tfw they decided to put in the awkward sex scene instead
>>
>>71263189
I have never seen this Synder kino, which version should I watch? Original, directors cut, or ultimate cut?
>>
File: Superman - Apollo.jpg (2 MB, 2580x2232) Image search: [Google]
Superman - Apollo.jpg
2 MB, 2580x2232
>>71265415
>Not really. It's still using foreshadowing.
Either you don't understand what foreshadowing is, or your grasp of Watchmen's themes isn't nearly so firm as you believe it to be. I'm not trying to be smug, just stating fact. Dan, reeking of a cologne called "Nostalgia," making love to Sally while Rorschach dies has nothing whatsoever to do with foreshadowing.

>That's really it. There's nothing intelligent about that as Superman has very little in common with Jesus Christ or the Icarus story or demons or whatever the hell else Lex is seen screaming about in the movie. It's Snyder being pretentious.

OK, here it is:

While the religious iconography present in MoS and BvS, works on multiple different levels, none of it has anything to do with Superman being a god(at least in-narrative) and even less to do with his miraculous return. For brevity's sake, here's how it plays into what's to come in the DCCU:

It's there to indicate that Superman(not Clark Kent, obviously) is being thought of by the people of earth as a god. It's not all Christ imagery. By turns, he's emblematic of a savior deity like the Christ, a solar/light deity like Apollo or Horus(ring any bells?), and a sky/storm deity like Zeus or Thor.

The reason that's important from a narrative perspective is that for the first time in modern society, there's a being walking openly among us that truly is a viable stand-in for a god. Belief is the life-blood of magic, be it of the "magick" or the fictional variety.

By simple virtue of his existence and his heroic sacrifice, Superman, that least "magickal" of characters, is ushering in an "Age of Heroes" and a resurgence of magic in a world that had lost both. If I'm anywhere near correct in my assertions, we'll see this being explored in Suicide Squad somewhat, and probably in even more depth in Wonder Woman.
>>
>creator of suckerpunch
>making a good movie
lol
>>
>>71266074
Go all in. It's amazing.
>>
>>71263296
What is Spider-Man 1 and 2?
>>
>>71266127
My only problem with the symbolism in BvS was that it was so heavy handed. That long montage of scenes of Superman doing godlike things and the newscasters and people talking over it felt like it went on forever and that's time that could have been spent on showing us something like Batman doing an actual investigation or seeing more of Lex's plans behind the scenes... you know plot.

Instead we got a long scene that made its point quickly but then continued to drag on for some reason.
>>
File: SuperMonument.jpg (37 KB, 630x630) Image search: [Google]
SuperMonument.jpg
37 KB, 630x630
>>71266127
Continuing.

That's part of what it's there for, and that's leaving out any discussion of the metanarrative implications.

Remember how color was used to such dramatic effect in "The Wizard of Oz," where Dorothy goes from black and white Kansas to the fantastical, technicolor realm of Oz? Expect to see a more subtle use of that same technique here. MoS and BvS are frequently criticized for being "colorless." As magic grows, expect the world to become more vibrant.

I sort of expect Wonder Woman's film to illustrate this, contrasting a grey "modern" world with a more vibrant past.

That's the ultimate trade-off of a comic book world - the brights are brighter, but the darks are also much darker. If you see hints of these themes in the upcoming films, please do try to remember that you heard it here first.
>>
>>71266127
>implying "magick" isn't fictional
go back to /x/ you daft fuck
>>
>>71265697
/r9k/ is beta as fuck thought
nah he is an edgelord with /pol/ tendencies and /r9k/ relation with women
>>
File: Superman - Stop - Doomsday.jpg (62 KB, 960x943) Image search: [Google]
Superman - Stop - Doomsday.jpg
62 KB, 960x943
>>71266523
I'm not saying it isn't. I just could think of no more concise a manner by which to differentiate between "magick" in a movie and "movie magic."
>>
>>71265551

not really, he beat up the guy in the pub after he heard the news, but we don't actually see his retribution on the actual killers
>>
>>71266451
>That's the ultimate trade-off of a comic book world - the brights are brighter, but the darks are also much darker

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you don't actually read comics?
>>
File: icarus.jpg (54 KB, 711x674) Image search: [Google]
icarus.jpg
54 KB, 711x674
>>71263445
>>71263296
>implying
>>
>>71266756
sorry m8 I just got triggered
>>
>>71266799
Only for most of my life. Admittedly, I've slacked off gradually over the past decade or so. I've got a pretty broad lore base that spans from the late 60s up through the early 00s.

I'm also very familiar with comic book history.
>>
>>71264342
The buildup for this was fucking shit

>Hey man
>Yo
>I know where the original Nite Owl lives
>k, lets kill him
>>
>>71266869
Then you should know that "darks being much darker" in terms of color isn't commonplace, even Death of Superman had lots of bright colours for a supposedly tragic story.
>>
>>71264943
>most juvenile scene

well, he was born only yesterday
>>
>>71263189
This best be not b8. Watching it for the first time in 10mins.
>>
>>71267212
Read the comic instead.
>>
>>71267087
I apologize. I didn't make myself clear.

I'm talking about the DCCU and the possibility that it will enjoy an increasingly vibrant palette as the story progresses, signifying the way that Superman's existence, death, and return, elevates a "real," drab world devoid of gods, heroes, and magick into a comic book world where all these things are once again possible.
>>
>>71267212
If you don't like that movie you should destroy yourself completely, like many other faggots in this thread.
>>
Why do people keep hiring Snyder to direct? Are there armies of plebs that actually think he's a talented director? Even the slow-motion aside, he is the worst visual story teller in decades
>>
>>71267278
It's not like the comic is so amazing. The movie loses the intentions of the comic by the end making it pointless, but let's not act like psychic vagina alien is a great idea
>>
>>71266047
Oh, that's why I don't remember that beating. Thanks.
>>
>>71267343
I think you're reading too much into it, we're practically guaranteed a less drab world by virtue of Geoff Johns' increased presence.
>>
>>71263189
What I'm about to say is going to make me sound like an edgelord, so brace yourselves:

Does anybody else really identify with, and by extension, sympathise with Rorschach?

He's a man who's moral compass is so strong, and his sense of right and wrong so black and white, he's driven insane by it. His turning point in life is when he turned from master detective superhero into a vigilante after finding that the missing child he was looking for was raped, murdered, butchered and fed to dogs, he literally lost all faith in humanity. In the comic he talks about the kitty Genovese case, and how most people don't care about what happens to others, so long as it doesn't happen to themselves.

He feels lost in a world where we're led to believe people are good by nature, but in reality, that is not the case.

He is a person who believes that ends do not justify means, which is something I personally agree with. In the end when Adrian's plan has been executed, he is so distraught at the idea of living this lie, he is torn up than so many people had to die, that this new society will be built on the deaths of millions of innocents, that his best friend is willing to comply with such an evil world, he never would have been able to live in veidts utopia, he is a dead breed of person who values human life, the idea of living this lie and existing in this sick world is so painful for him, he practically begs to be killed and taken off this godforsaken planet.

Rorschach is introduced to us in the story as a maniac, a twisted deranged person.

But in the end he turned out to be the most good-hearted and human of all of them.
>>
>>71264342
wait was that Eli Roth as one of the punks?
>>
File: FRANK BY GOD CASTLE.jpg (29 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
FRANK BY GOD CASTLE.jpg
29 KB, 640x360
>>71267599
I'm totally with you. I feel about Rorschach much the same way I feel about the Punisher.
>>
File: Snyder - KinoGod.png (397 KB, 630x472) Image search: [Google]
Snyder - KinoGod.png
397 KB, 630x472
>>71267488
That's true, but multiple coincidences stacked atop one another aren't necessarily coincidences.

Just because one can discern the picture before the puzzle is completely assembled doesn't mean they're suffering from a case of pareidolia.

All I ask is that if these predictions turn out to be accurate, reasonable folks like yourself don't just dismiss it out of hand and acknowledge that there's a chance you owe someone an apology.
>>
>>71266127
You've gotta love when someone askes for another anon's opinion and then completely ignores it in favor of just posting a copypasta.

That isn't a discussion, that is waiting for turn to say what you want.
>>
>>71267462
>It's not like the comic is so amazing

It is though.
>>
>>71267599
I agree.
>>
>>71263189

this was the only scene that i think the movie did better than the graphic novel
>>
>>71268055
Don't get me wrong, I love it and I appreciate it for what it was and what it did for comics, but the ending is ridiculous
>>
>>71268052

That's freshly typed, friend. You can only state your case in so many different ways. You gotta love when someone dismisses you without consideration. Really sells their side of the argument.
>>
>>71265697
He's living the NEET life
>>
>>71264342
It's not the same without sound
>>
I wanted to love this movie so bad but they fuck up the pacing and dialogue and sound track so its only decent
>>
>>71268123
It's a good way of showing how extreme an event it would take to trivialise all human conflict.
>>
>>71266127
>Dan, reeking of a cologne called "Nostalgia," making love to Sally while Rorschach dies has nothing whatsoever to do with foreshadowing
I was the talking about the cologne and the rest of Veidt's products being sublimity shown throughout the book, foreshadowing the kind of control Ozymandis has over people and why the squid is convincing at all.

>By simple virtue of his existence and his heroic sacrifice, Superman, that least "magickal" of characters, is ushering in an "Age of Heroes" and a resurgence of magic in a world that had lost both. If I'm anywhere near correct in my assertions, we'll see this being explored in Suicide Squad somewhat, and probably in even more depth in Wonder Woman.
There's nothing scientifically accurate about Superman, he's as magical as Wonder Woman or Martian Manhunter. So this point doesn't make sense, especially with all of the new stuff we've been learning about the pack between the three races on Earth (humans, atlantians and amazons) over the motherboxes, souls and the afterlife being an established thing in this universe and shit like that.
>>
>>71263426
Literally god tier movie and probably the best score ive ever heard. Patricians are hard to find during the summer.
>>71263189
That scene is powerful but i found the rest of the movie boring and draggy. Plus the entire concept is so try hard and doesnt make any sense. He literally couldve just killed nixon and the russian cabinet and threatened them into peace. Plus the common enemy meme lasts a few years at most. Theyd be back at eachothers throats in 5 years tops.
>>
>>71269962
>He literally couldve just killed nixon and the russian cabinet and threatened them into peace.
And they would hunt him down.
>>
>>71263996
>I bet you read in your life less than five books.

How does it feel knowing that, regardless of all the books you might read, you will never be capable of writing a coherent sentence? Beyond this, I guarantee that I've read more books than you.
>>
>>71270131
>And they would hunt him down.
Isnt that what they are doing anyway? He mass murdered 300 million people or whatever, arent they hunting him? PLus he can go to mars and is indestructible. Is there something i am missing?
>>
>>71263996
>>71270232
The amount of books someone has read means literally nothing. My Grandma reads a book a week and im not even joking and she is borderline retarded.
>>
>>71270131
hunt him down and do what? He's indestructible and pretty much immortal.
>>
>>71263189
>The soundtrack alone makes me cry.
>soundtrack
If a movie needs musical cues to tell you what to feel it has FAILED completely.
>>
>>71270273
>The amount of books
It's number, not amount. Books are countable and you are a retard after your nana.
>>
>>71263189
Of course it is, specially when you only watch capeshit garbage for mouthbreathers like you.
Funny how entry-level cinema usually makes people look for similar or better stuff and get more into movies, but capeshit only makes its fans compulsively masturbate like chimpanzees.
That's what these daily zack snyder threads of yours are, masturbating out of stupidity.
>>
>>71270273
Please don't talk that way about your grandmother
>>
>>71263445
>not "He killed my mom."
>>
Got you covered OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwVogZQtjI4
>>
>>71270342
Its literally the same thing you idiot. Theres no difference you are just splitting hairs. Now put on your fedora, light up your vape and crack open your copy of The god Delusion.
>>71270389
I love her and she is super sweet but its still true.
>>
>>71270544
>Its literally the same thing you idiot.
It really isn't. Ask anyone who's not your family, senpai.
>>
>>71263189
What fucking movie is this? I've scrolled half the damn thread.
>>
>>71270668

Captain America: the undersized edgelord
>>
>>71270667
>It really isn't. Ask anyone who's not your family, senpai.
Yes it is faggot
>Amount
>1. a quantity of something, typically the total of a thing or things in number, size, value, or extent.
>2. come to be (the total) when added together.
Explain how im wrong
>>71270668
Get out
>>
>>71270668
Don't listen to >>71270750

It's Braveheart
>>
File: come and see hitler painting.jpg (147 KB, 1676x954) Image search: [Google]
come and see hitler painting.jpg
147 KB, 1676x954
1985, but still.

This film changed my soul.
>>
>>71270668
Braveheart
>>
>>71270668
Minutemen: Revenge of Moloch
>>
>>71270791
>Explain how im wrong
I could but you still wouldn't understand.
>>
>>71268546
>There's nothing scientifically accurate about Superman, he's as magical as Wonder Woman or Martian Manhunter. So this point doesn't make sense, especially with all of the new stuff we've been learning about the pack between the three races on Earth (humans, atlantians and amazons) over the motherboxes, souls and the afterlife being an established thing in this universe and shit like that.

There is nothing "magical" about Superman. Historically, magic is one of his weaknesses. I don't get how you think scientific accuracy has any bearing on how he doesn't fit in an ostensibly "real" world.

Also, where are we learning about that? All I've heard confirmed so far is that Ares is the villain in Wonder Woman. Got a link?
>>
>>71270518
Great scene in a TERRIBLE movie
>>
>>71270880
As a kids movie it's fucking A+ but as a movie movie to watch for depth and meaning you are correct
>>
>>71270668

Prison Break 2: You're Locked In Here With Me
>>
>>71270791
It's not like it really matters, because language rules are retarded like a solid 3/4ths of the time, but amount of is used for uncountable nouns and number of is for countable.

Again, it's not really meaningful in any capacity, but yeah he's right.
>>
>>71270750
>>71270791
>>71270806
>>71270844
>>71270924
I would've guessed the secret life of Walter Mitty (that looks like stiller, and there were snow scenes in the trailer), but now I'm assuming watchmen. I don't think I ever saw the end of that one.
>>
>>71270975
>that looks like stiller

fuck i need to get off 4chan if these are the retards populating it
>>
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 360x360
>>71271012
You're the one who puts watchmen on a pedestal, capemanchild.
>>
>>71271210
Yeah you go ahead and believe you're talking to someone who was posting at all in this thread.

You're either retarded or did something retarded, stop trying to slide.
>>
File: underwater neckbeard.jpg (4 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
underwater neckbeard.jpg
4 KB, 150x150
>>71270905
No, it's bad. Like, really bad. They had a such a great idea with the circus of fear and Screweye's backstory with the crows, and they completely fucking squandered it.

Fuck them.
>>
>>71271298
The entire thing was for morality and progression for a child. Drugs making you violent and stupid, giving into your emotions being negative, running away instead of dealing with your issues, harming others to protect yourself leads to self harm and being alone. It was a very nice movie especially for a kids movie.
>>
>>71271266
What makes them look so different?
>>
File: 1445632553822.png (104 KB, 237x200) Image search: [Google]
1445632553822.png
104 KB, 237x200
>>71271413
It was insulting, even to a child's intelligence.
>>
File: ABSWTCHMN-B-401.jpg (286 KB, 800x1246) Image search: [Google]
ABSWTCHMN-B-401.jpg
286 KB, 800x1246
Just catched Snyder's Watchmen on Syfy last night.

Damn. It was worse than I remembered.

I remember thinking adding Dan to that scene was unnecessary. Dan should have stayed in with Laurie like in the book. Dan yelling just took away from the moment. It was sound and fury signifying nothing. Snyder keeps wanting to make Dan some macho hero instead of an everyman. He even has him beat up Ozymandias after because Snyder thought his version of Watchmen needed more needless fights.

I now remember going with friends opening night and being really annoyed about it. I had forgot how distracting it was from this poignant scene from the book.
>>
File: 1460502115182.png (131 KB, 1160x420) Image search: [Google]
1460502115182.png
131 KB, 1160x420
>>71271568
Explains why you're angry
>>
File: ABSWTCHMN-B-402.jpg (324 KB, 800x1249) Image search: [Google]
ABSWTCHMN-B-402.jpg
324 KB, 800x1249
>>71271608
The book had a quieter scene, which made Rorschach's angry final yell all the more punctuated.

Snyder adding Dan yelling in the background just was pointless and cluttered a beautiful scene. Moore and Gibbons had a perfect scene there and Snyder just doodled on it like a child with crayons drawing on a finely drafted adult drawing.
>>
File: 1466652233320.jpg (77 KB, 575x568) Image search: [Google]
1466652233320.jpg
77 KB, 575x568
>>71264342
>>
File: ABSWTCHMN-B-260.jpg (352 KB, 800x1250) Image search: [Google]
ABSWTCHMN-B-260.jpg
352 KB, 800x1250
>>71267770
>>71267599
Rorschach is Alan Moore's Holden Caufield.

Just as Salinger never intended for Holden to be a beloved hero, Moore never wanted Rorschach to be someone admired. Yet idiots like Snyder wanted to make a simpler narrative and his admiration for Rorschach sadly comes through. The book was a grey narrative with flawed characters in a grey moral area. Even with NiteOwl, Snyder made him into a generic action Batman superhero instead of actually having him be more human as Moore did.

Just look how Snyder had him and Silk Spectre do his dumb slow mo action fight scenes in the prison instead of just having them briefly punch some guys in the middle of a messy prison riot.
>>
File: ABSWTCHMN-B-269.jpg (400 KB, 800x1249) Image search: [Google]
ABSWTCHMN-B-269.jpg
400 KB, 800x1249
>>71264342
Another scene that Snyder's delusional need for machismo fucked up.

Moore and Gibbons had Hollis as an old man who couldn't defend himself contrasted to the strong vigilante crime fighter he once was. Nope. Snyder had to have Hollis land some punches against a whole gang that surprise attacked him.
>>
>>71272060
Who the fuck are you talking to? Shut the fuck up the movie did it better faggot.
>>
>>71271608
>>71271689
>>71271948
>>71272060
jesus christ this pretentious fuckwit is SO proud of himself for having read the comic.

>AKSHUALLY in the ORIGINAL GRAPHIC NOVEL...
>>
File: ABSWTCHMN-B-270.jpg (352 KB, 800x1248) Image search: [Google]
ABSWTCHMN-B-270.jpg
352 KB, 800x1248
>>71272060
Watchmen was just as much about small scenes as it was big set pieces. Snyder tried to have his cake and eat it too. I think this is a problem with his DC / Superman films as well. He wants the spectacle of typical cape flicks, but acts like he's making some art house film.

And Watchmen is more about the smaller more 'arthouse' scenes, even if it plays with the big set pieces and science fiction.

It's an intricate story whose small scenes and details are just as important as a blue glowing godlike being or superhero who flies around in an owl ship.
>>
File: ABSWTCHMN-B-276.jpg (179 KB, 800x1206) Image search: [Google]
ABSWTCHMN-B-276.jpg
179 KB, 800x1206
>>71272120
>>71272280
No. The movie did not do it better.
The movie is watered down shit.

I used to think Snyder had his hand tied with the time allotted, but even the scenes he did adapt in the time he had were poorly done. He wastes time trying to turn Watchmen into an action movie while leaving out the little bits that tied themes and ideas together.

Rewatching it last night clarified how poor Snyder's ideas for the scenes he could fit were.

Hell, would it have killed him to have Larie with a bag of things on Mars and throw her Nostalgia perfume bottle at the crystal ship on Mars? Hell. THAT would have been something to show in slow motion between scenes, the bottle spinning in air before shattering Jon's construction. Instead Snyder just has her bluntly punch the thing and it shatters.

Blunt is exactly what Snyder's approach to the material was.

The reason I keep bringing up the book is because seeing the film again made me realize how many details Snyder did not understand and lost in translation.
>>
File: 1466271398541.jpg (51 KB, 415x392) Image search: [Google]
1466271398541.jpg
51 KB, 415x392
>>71272466
Good god I'm not reading that wall of words go home and rethink you're life.
>>
>>71272060
>The old guy hit me!
He did fight back, you fucking retard
>>
File: rorschach.png (2 MB, 1106x1263) Image search: [Google]
rorschach.png
2 MB, 1106x1263
>>
>>71271608
I agree 100% on everything other than the movie is bad. All the changes Snyder makes detract from the movie but its still so much like the comic despite a lot of flaws its still amazing, just like the comic but not nearly as much.
>>
>>71272624
Are you blind? Nowhere in those two pages did Hollis fight the punks that smashed his head in. The only punches he throws are against other criminals as Nite Owl in flashback panels.
>>
File: ABSWTCHMN-B-109.jpg (352 KB, 800x1248) Image search: [Google]
ABSWTCHMN-B-109.jpg
352 KB, 800x1248
>>71272805
It's relatively bad.
It's relatively good.
Everything is relative.

Compared to other superhero films, yeah, it's ambitious and far better than others.

Yet compared to the original book, it falls far short of what that thirty year old comic did with its story.
>>
>>71270668
The men who watch goats
>>
>>71272875
Holy shit fucks are you actually retarded?

All of the dialogue is present day, he unequivocally fights back.

Fucking dullard.
>>
>>71273881
He says he hit him once. Doesn't mean it was a good hit. They never show it. Snyder made sure Hollis landed some good hits because he needed more machismo instead of showing the tragedy of an old man being beaten to death.
>>
>>71263189
>people will already know the truth because of the diary
>gets himself killed anyway
pointless and retarded, ginger wasted his life
>>
>>71273998>
>HE DIDN'T FIGHT BACK AT ALL!!!!1
>err I mean he didn't fight back well, yeah, that's the ticket
The intersection of flashbacks and the dialogue clearly imply that he put up far more of a fight than the punks expected, in the relative context of the media, the movie scene is a fine translation. <spoiler>Cuck.</spoiler>
>>
>>71263296
How about Stark discovering the truth? Or Rogers deciding to crash the plane into the ice? Starlord trying to save Gamora?
>>
File: batman.jpg (131 KB, 1800x1368) Image search: [Google]
batman.jpg
131 KB, 1800x1368
>>71271948
>Even with NiteOwl, Snyder made him into a generic action Batman superhero

This guy was clearly Snyder's Batman anon. In fact I think it's safe to say Batflek borrowed from this guy more than Baleman.
>>
File: watchmen charlton 1331155273082.jpg (130 KB, 451x1123) Image search: [Google]
watchmen charlton 1331155273082.jpg
130 KB, 451x1123
>>71274588
So you admit Snyder got the character entirely wrong.

Nite Owl was supposed to be a worn out retired Blue Beetle. He was never supposed to be Batman. Yet that idiot Snyder and his idiot fans only care about Batman and mainstream shit, so they made him more into a Batman analogue.
>>
>>71274715
Give it a rest. You've yet to prove any point. The comics are sub par children's entertainment by a hack who hates you and all his fans.
>>
File: rorschach kitten 1330889459976.jpg (27 KB, 350x339) Image search: [Google]
rorschach kitten 1330889459976.jpg
27 KB, 350x339
>>71274588
Ah. Read that wrong. I am tired. You meant Rorschach.

Still, having him be Batman or BvS Batman be Rorschach is actually even more of a muddled mess.

Snyder getting Rorschach wrong and making him more of an actual hero is a whole other can of worms. Again, it's like the idiot fans Salinger hated who thought Holden Caufield was a great person to be idolized.

And I do still think Snyder was thinking of Batman too much making his movie Nite Owl. I think he even said it in interviews which was a giant red flag for me that Snyder wasn't serious about focusing on the actual material he was adapting. He was throwing everything else into it.
>>
>>71274897
>The comics are sub par children's entertainment by a hack who hates you and all his fans.
Yes. It's Moore who's the hack, not Snyder.

Honestly, I do think Moore and Watchmen are very overrated. Moore is a very cynical and flawed author.

Yet his old comic books are still miles above the superficial garbage Snyder shits out on screen.
>>
>>71264342
DELET THIS
>>
>>71274957
Maybe that's because the Batman is a more accessible pop culture touchstone than the Blue Beetle is or ever could be. Even Moore wanted to use the Charlton characters, but had to settle for the pastiche characters of Watchmen, only making them more remote and inaccessible in the cultural landscape.

Snyder managed to adapt something that the wider audience could have never digested in its native form and remain faithful to a goodly amount of the source material while doing so, and all the MMQs can do is second-guess, criticize, and belittle the effort.
>>
File: durn.gif (1 MB, 386x281) Image search: [Google]
durn.gif
1 MB, 386x281
>>71263996
fewer*
Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.