[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In This Thread: Moments in Academy Award History where films
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 14
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 980x490) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 980x490
In This Thread: Moments in Academy Award History where films or actors or people got duped out of an Oscar.

>Oscars 2015
>Academy Award for Best Original Score
>Goes to The Grand Budapest Hotel
>Should've got to Interstellar
>ok
>>
>>71200742
Hans has don't much better than interstellar anyway
>>
interstellar score was garbo and even I liking the movie I'm feeling that I'm being memed since everyone loves this shit score
>>
File: jenniferjasonleigh&slylosers.jpg (40 KB, 615x440) Image search: [Google]
jenniferjasonleigh&slylosers.jpg
40 KB, 615x440
I like Vikander, but JJL deserved it for H8tful. It's long overdue and she should've already had at least 4 nominations before 2015.
>>
>>71200802
Pardon?
>>
>>71200742
Speaking of 2014
>Jake wasn't nominated for Nightcrawler
>LEGO Movie wasn't nominated for best animated film
>>
Interstellar score was so powerful, but it wasn't all that complex or diverse.
>>
>>71200742
Best animated not going to Anomalisa. Best documentary not going to The Act of Killing.
>>
File: 1463374731636.jpg (5 KB, 219x231) Image search: [Google]
1463374731636.jpg
5 KB, 219x231
>>71200854

Hateful8 fucking blew.

> SPR not winning BP over Harvey Weinstein presents Shakespeare in Love

> Joker fucks Donnie Darko doesn't win BP over "Everyone in LA is racist as fuck"

> Denzel as Malcolm X loses to "HOOOOAAAAHH"
>>
>>71200926
inside out deserved it
>>
>>71200854
Vikander should have won for Ex-Machina
>>
>>71200869
Nightcrawler should've been nominated for a couple more things
>>
>>71200854
Hateful Eight is just a shitty movie, they wouldnt give the best supporting actress to someone who did great in a shitty ass movie, unless you're Ennio Morricone and you got no oscars at all at age of 90.

The shittiest moment is Joaquin Phoenix losing to DDL for fucking Lincoln
>>
File: 1466538837899.jpg (48 KB, 470x475) Image search: [Google]
1466538837899.jpg
48 KB, 470x475
>>71200742
>Hans Zimmer
>reward that hack for his lazy kitsch

that Oscar should have gone to Birdman, pleb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufzapZMTlCo
>>
>>71200945

Kino-comment right here
>>
Fury Road, The Revenant, and Room lost to... whatever the fuck won last year
>>
>>71200926
Yeah, documentary was a fucking steal.
This year too, the Joshua new doc was 9/10
>>
>>71200943
Inside Out was good, but it was just another one out of a million movies churned out by Disney.

Anomalisa was different and had an amazing form of animation. The work of hands looks better than the work of computers.
>>
>>71201018

TAOK not winning was a fucking disgrace. What beat it again?
>>
>>71201003
I'm super still angry that The Revenant didn't win. Spotlight was just an episode of Dateline for 2 hours.
>>
>>71201003

Spotlight was pretty clutch though DESU
>>
>>71201057
Twenty feet from stardom, the one bout backup singers, they didnt even make everything allright by giving it to The Look of Silence (that deserved it, also)
>>
>>71200943
it really didn't, at least not over anomalisa. Inside out was good, it's for sure one of the better pixar movies released in the last few years, but it is woefully paint by numbers.
>>
Mark Rylance winning last year. He was both the worst performance of the five and the least interesting pick. Tom Hardy acted circles around Leo and Sly won most of the other major shows. I was so hyped for Sly too with everyone chanting 'Rocky' very loudly and enthusiastically on the red carpet.
>>
>>71200990
Birdmans score was interesting, but the score for Interstellar was godly. The breathing of the organ gave the movie an almost religious feel, but also a sense of humanity as the air was pumped through the pipes.
>>
>>71201128
The academy has a hard on for music related film
>>
>>71201144
Anomalisa was not really that great.
I mean, its cute and everything and Kaufman is a genius but in the end the movie is just not that good.
>>
>>71201037
Animated means "film my kid liked the most". Fuck anomalisa, that's a hard sell, Song of the Sea is the real snub as that's a very accessible film.
>>
File: image.png (313 KB, 600x620) Image search: [Google]
image.png
313 KB, 600x620
>>71200933
Fucking Shakespeare in Love over SPR still makes my blood boil.
>>
>>71201191
Then why didn't Whiplash win for 2014? I mean it was easily the strongest of all the films nominated.
>>
>>71200742
>pretending interstellar is more than medicore

Nolan did a good job raising a brainless drone army
>>
File: tumblr_mwkownyhgr1sn7wjto1_1280.jpg (194 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mwkownyhgr1sn7wjto1_1280.jpg
194 KB, 800x500
>>71201128

Ahhh

Now I get it
>>
>>71201037
Anomalisa wasn't different. It was the samey old samey serious animated movie with the same old Charlie Kauffman preoccupations. It was not new. I loved it, but my main problem with it was that really, it was conventional in every way. I mean, if you have seen some similiar cinema. If you're just used to Pixar and Dreamworks, then of course is a fresh breath of air.
>>
>>71201211
It also means "which studio pays us the most for the award". The multibillion corporate giant Disney will win every time.
>>
>>71201234
Agreed. As much as people talk about Crash not deserving it, that was a weak year. 1998 was not however and Saving Private Ryan was such a powerful and important film, as well as a technical masterpiece and critically and commercial darling.
>>
>>71201304
I haven't seen many of that similar form. I think you're correct. What other movies are there that are similar to Anomalisa?
>>
>>71201262
too much of an outsider production wise. They won't give out the big awards to something like that, but musicals and historical music docu-dramas tend to do well when their made by mainstream productions, far better than they should.
>>
>>71201306
Look at the article where the academy voters anonymously write about why they made their picks, they actually see it as "best kids movie" for the most part.
>>
File: 1445109868991.png (47 KB, 300x293) Image search: [Google]
1445109868991.png
47 KB, 300x293
>>71200990
>birdman score
i hope it wouldnt be the track you linken

sounds like someone fall in a room full of instruments and just couldnt stand up without falling back in them again.

at least in the beginning, later its gets better desu
>inb4 muh storytelling in music
>>
>>71201262
Too small. I am so glad that these 5 million dollar movies like Room and Whiplash are getting best picture nominations now though, these films absolutely deserve respect for just completely blowing away all these Oscar Baits with 5 to 10 times the budget
>>
File: 1416475368965.jpg (12 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1416475368965.jpg
12 KB, 250x250
>Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow winning over Woman in the Dunes solely because the voters jerked their little dicks to sophia loren
>>
>>71201304
Certainly it touched on Kauffman's general theme of 'what even is the point of all of this?' but I think in general it took a very worn out sort of story and told it in a new light visa-vie both it's visuals and voice acting. The choices in regards to voice actors was brilliant in my mind, such an interesting metaphor/cue for the audience.
>>
File: 1466565923634.jpg (61 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1466565923634.jpg
61 KB, 720x540
Crash won by votes over better films.
-Brokeback Mountain –
-Capote –
-Good Night, and Good Luck
-Munich
>>
wind rises, kaguya and wreck it ralph should have won their years
>>
>>71201491
Fucking Capote was amazing. Hoffman was a goddamn titan of the industry.
>>
>>71201491
>Brokeback Mountain
Can we PLEASE stop pretending this film is anything more than decent?
>>
>>71201491
only munich is a good movie
the academy seems to hate spielberg for some reason
>>
>>71200945
She was ok in that, but really not that special. Nothing was really required of her.
>>
>>71201501
>kaguya
>not Song of the Sea
>>
>>71201535
I'VE never seen it, but maybe it is just because of homosexual sympathy? Then again, ive never seen it, so take my words with a grain of salt.
>>
>>71201535
BUT ANON THEY ARE GAY COWBOYS THINK OFF THEIR SUFERING
>>
>>71201535
granted 2006 was a slow year but even you have to admit that Brokeback was way better than that melodramatic lib shit fest of Crash.
>>71201558
Munich was fine but not Spielbergo best film.
>>
>>71201522
Hoffman is exquisite. Synecdoche, New York is one of my favorite movies.
>>
>>71201334
>>71201234
>>71200933
The company behind Shakespeare in Love hired a bunch of people to pretend to be veterans to go on like SPR was so terrible and historically inaccurate leading up to the Oscars. They literally won by propaganda.
That's the most disgusting part about it.
>>
>>71201558
Spielberg is shit, specially late Spielberg, Munich was aight, but god what was War Horse or Lincoln.
Brokeback Mountain is pretty good, better than Crash, at least.
>>
>>71201660
The thing is he has been robbed two best pictures and some best directors trophies
If you watch him winning best director for Schindler you can hear Samuel L Jackson shouting
> IT IS ABOUT TIME
>>
File: georgia movie.jpg (23 KB, 220x308) Image search: [Google]
georgia movie.jpg
23 KB, 220x308
Nobody probably knows about this movie called Georgia from 1995. Mare Winningham was nominated for supporting and Jennifer Jason Leigh (who gave the better performance) was ignored. She should've won, let alone get a nomination.
>>
>>71201262
Im probably the only guy who didnt hate Boyhood, so I rooted for that. But immediately after the Oscars I watched Whiplash, and that blew it away. Whiplash is great, shouldve won over Birdman
>>
>>71201452
>everyone praising room

i know nothing about the movie and was just told to watch it
this is my experience:

>mother with her daughter locked into a room
>is it a boy or a girl?
>when the spooky man comes by, she hides her daughter in the closet
>mother talks to the men, like her daughter is male. He would probably rape her if he knew.
>mhhhhh, boy or a girl
>some futuristic looking lock
>maybe they are in some kind of prisoncontainers
>get hyped for post apocalytic prison movie
>is it a boy or a girl?
>cool escape scene, but why the fuck isnt it in a post apocalytic setting
>is it a boy or a girl
>everyone bitching around
>annoying people are talking
>still dont know if its a boy or a girl
>no likeable characters
>ITS A FUCKING BOY, WTF IS THIS SHIT
>CUT HIS FUCKING HAIR AND GIVE HIM A MANLY NAME AND CALL HIM BY HIS NAME
>WTF, FUCK YOU
>>
>>71201894
>why isnt it in a post apocalyptic setting

this is the worst complaint you could have, that shit is overdone, plus the movie is based on a book, based on actual shit.

I mean I think the movie is a tad overrated, but not because it isnt 10 Cloverfield Lane
>>
>>71201839
I watched all the Best Pictures except for that. I heard the 12 years thing was kinda cool.
>>
>>71202006
its just what a expected and all i got was the same old shit, i get in every other movie.

as bonus the only likeable character is 10yo transgender child, who is just confusing me
mother looks like a chrack whore and is too stupid to find a way out of her prison withing 15 years
and in the end we have the same boring shit.
>Hurdur i was a way 10 years and now i cant understand technology designed, so you instantly understand it.
>>
>>71201722
fuck off Adam
>>
>>71202138
its nostalgia baity, probably why I liked it. I could relate to some of the stuff in it. but it doesnt really developed the Boy in Boyhood, and im sure more people can tell why the movie is flawed.

I dunno, I find it interesting that they filmed shit like kids waiting in line for Harry Potter 7, at the time it happened, with the intention of evoking some kind of nostalgia or relatability years from that moment.

but its probably more interesting to think about than watch for most people
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 818x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 818x640
>>71202366
How did you find me?
>>
>>71202366
His favorite movie is not Synecdoche, is white ribbon i think, Synecdoche is his second or something like it
>>
>>71202564
That is true. Also, Adam as in "yms.org"?
>>
>>71201894
I hate you. You have no taste and your ideas are terrible.
>>
>>71202666
This. Although I do agree that the gender bender was confusing for the first 10 minutes.
>>
What the Oscars really need to start doing is make the competition strictly American films only besides the Foreign Language category.
>>
>>71200742
the last film that deserved to win was No Country For Old Men
>>
File: image.jpg (585 KB, 1001x1077) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
585 KB, 1001x1077
>>71201735
Whoever could be behind such a thing?
>>
>>71202838

There Will Be Blood is better

I'm going to Ralph Fiennes in Schindler's List losing to fucking Tommy Lee Jones. And for that matter, Neeson losing to Hanks
>>
>>71202733
Only if you haven't been around young children in a while
>>
what's going to win in 2017, /tv/?
>>
>>71203095
Damn. Probably Zootopia for best animated film
>>
>>71203095
Anthropoid seems promising.
>>
>>71203095
It will be close since it's both kid movies, I think Zootopia though.
>>
>>71203095
All Eyes on Me for a couple things if the Academy wants to look black-friendly.
>>
>>71203190
Who is your favorite Jennifer Jason Leigh?
>>
>>71200742
Agreed. I actually liked Interstellar's score the most out of the nominees, but Alexandre Desplat really deserved an Oscar for something, and TGBH is a worthy win, so I'm okay with that.

I feel like people really underestimated the technical aspects of Creed. Sure it's great seeing Sly play Rocky again, but the cinematography, editing, and sound were all fantastic. Even the music was memorable.
>>
>>71200742
I don't know why you guys take the Oscars seriously. Everyone knows the best films don't get the awards, just like with the Grammys, where they never recognize actual good music released that year.
>>
>>71202411
I can't hate Boyhood because Linklater's such a likable personality, and the movie reflects that. I feel like it was always intended to be a fun little experiment with interconnected scenes. He basically made it in his backyard with his neighbors (and the occasional professional actor) while making other movies. It's only after the film was released that the media took it up as this super ambitious critique on the human condition. People that bought into the gimmicks too much overhyped the movie, and probably bummed a lot of people out expecting more.

Even in interviews Linklater seems so casual when talking about the movie. He doesn't imply they had much of a set-out end game for the project, it was really just to see what they did over time. There's that famous quote of him basically saying nothing really happens in the movie, but it's still fascinating as a time capsule, and there are so many scenes that at least one's bound to feel relatable to your own youth.

As it stands, I think Everybody Wants Some is a much better movie than Boyhood, and even covers most of the same themes in a better way.
>>
>>71201735
Harvey Weinstein is such an evil man
>>
Gran Torino not getting a single Oscar nomination let alone best picture while some indian musical won instead
>>
>>71205169
Oscars are at least closer. If the Oscars were like the Grammys, transformers, the Avengers, and the fault in our stars would win.
>>
>>71205479
>Gran Torino not getting a single Oscar nomination
Wait, WHAT?
>>
Christoph Waltz getting Oscars for doing the same fucking thing twice just because all five nominees already won before so everyone just voted randomly.

Hurts more when John Goodman deserved it for Argo. At least a damn nomination.
>>
Who do you guys want to host the next ceremony? It'll probably be Kevin Hart or something right?
>>
Tom Hardy not winning for Revenant this year
>>
>>71200926

Anamolisa sucked shit
>>
>>71203095
It better not be Birth of a Nation, fuck.
>>
>>71206051
Waltz wasn't even the best supporting actor in his own movie.
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.