[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /tv/ think of this movie?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 9
File: unforgiven_poster.jpg (139 KB, 1006x1500) Image search: [Google]
unforgiven_poster.jpg
139 KB, 1006x1500
What does /tv/ think of this movie?
>>
>>71154467
Pale Rider is better.
>>
>>71154467
Good but overrated
>>
The essential anti-core.
>>
>>71154467
I thought it was middling to be honest
>>
>>71154489
>>71154531
>>71154597
I see this movie is a rather effective moron-filter.
>>
Great film. Pretty much meant as a eulogy for the western genre.
>>
>>71154531

Yea absolutely. Pretty much every Clint Eastwood (directed) movie is great but gets a critical bump up to AMAZING because of grandpa Eastwood behind the camera.
>>
>>71154923

Seems like there's a new eulogy for the western genre every three or four years
>>
>>71154467

Second best western film ever made.

Clint Eastwoods personal best acting.

Best Hollywood attempt at genre deconstruction.

9.5/10
>>
Fantastic.
>>
>>71155048

Like what for example? Don't you dare list LD
>>
File: CdYkdTx.jpg (203 KB, 600x885) Image search: [Google]
CdYkdTx.jpg
203 KB, 600x885
Love it, I just hate that guy playing the 'kid' in it. He's so annoying, and his over the top "I'm a bad ass killer YEEHAW!"

It honestly brings the movie down a few pegs.
>>
>>71155163
He means that shitty Yuma movie
>>
>>71155307
That or the Proposition
>>
File: image.jpg (119 KB, 600x793) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119 KB, 600x793
>>71155307

That was one unnecessary remake. Not really a "eulogy" though.

Who's looking forward to hollywoods latest western star?

We remember the face of our father and shiet
>>
>>71155444
Disgusting
>>
>>71154467
One of the only movies that deserves its Oscar, although I doubt the voters really understood it, not to sound arrogant.

The script was brilliant, almost metamodern. Probably Eastwood's best directorial effort. Also the only movie I've ever liked Morgan Freeman in, to be honest.
>>
>>71155253
> not loving every minute of that blowhard running his mouth just for the satisfaction of his breakdown at the end.

"Deserved's got nothin' to do with it."
>>
>>71155444

WE WUZ GUNSLINGAZ AND SHIT
>>
>>71155253
i agree that kid was poorly cast to say the least. they should have gotten a River Phoenix type: really fresh face to juxtapose how much of an asshole he is.
>>
>>71155307

Appaloosa and Open Range were better new westerns
>>
7/10 movie until that god tier ebding that boosts it to 8.5

...post yfw deserves got nothin to do with it
>>
>>71156034
Yeah, the ending was great
>>
>>71155686
appaloosa WAS terrific...classic western style story telling
>>
>>71154923
I think Assassination of Jesse James was a better takedown of the myths of the west, while building them up at the same time. Unforgiven felt too easy and openly subversive.
>the tough sheriff is really a violent dictator
>gunslingers were murderers
>legends about gunslingers were just that
>black man lynched because no revisionist western can ignore race
The pacing of the film is kind of off too
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 322x495) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 322x495
>>71155444

Are you fucking kidding me?
>>
In retrospect it's bit too lifeless and empty - especially in comparison to Pale Rider, High Plains Drifter and Outlaw Josey Wales.

Munny feels too little of a character, but not quite the archetype to me to forgive the lack of writing on his part.

Really beautifully shot and great acting from Eastwood, but expected more based on his previously directed films.

The Searchers is the better revisionist western duh?
>>
>>71156362
>Assassination of Jesse James
>First scene
>Jesse had some illness where his eyes get really dry to he has to blink real fast almost as if he can't believe the word he is seeing
>Pitt continues to endlessly stare at a field of grass motionless without blinking
That movie was tacky
>>
What's that western called were suddenly a bunch of Dinosaurs came out of a mine and the cowboys had to fight them?
>>
>>71156549
AOJJ got butchered by the production company in the editing, it is literally 'half done' film. Casey Afflecks defame part is basically an extended trailer and it really screws with the film narrative and pacing.

And yeah it was glib like that, in many ways.
>>
>>71156666
I didn't know what but it makes perfect sense.
>>
>>71155555
I just don't like the actor, his voice was awful and at times I thought he was just a waterboy who got the role. I loved the idea of the character, and the breakdown. It was just that faggot's voice and acting that bothered me.

>>71155679
Anyone but who they cast. I almost want to skip every scene of his.
>>
>>71156727
There was a 4hour version of it shown in some film festival, supposedly much better than what we have now. Easy to believe, didn't like it.
>>
>>71156539
>Munny feels too little of a character, but not quite the archetype to me to forgive the lack of writing on his part.
This is what I meant by too easy. His character only exists to be broken again and return to his violent past, just to make a contrast about how miserable that way of life is. He doesn't quite feel like a real person outside of that.

The Searchers is amazing. I can't even think about the ending without wanting to cry, it comes out of nowhere and destroys ever conception you have about the character in two seconds

>>71156666
>>71156727
That's not true at all. You're thinking about the longer rough cut that was cut down for distribution Tons of movies have them and are never meant to see the light of day.
>When he was making the press rounds for "Killing Them Softly" last year, Dominik was asked a handful of times about the possibility of seeing a longer cut, and particularly about a "mythical" four-hour version, which was revealed to have never been more than an early internal assembly. He admitted at the time that there were two other versions of the film that he could see distributed commercially. He also indicated that he'd be interested in going back to the film to produce those more complete visions.

The ending feels like an epilogue because it is. Ford's entire legacy is tied to James, everything after is a historical footnote at best.
>>
>>71156846
The 4 hour cut was shown in a Venice film festival.

It wasn't released for retarded reasons on bluray.
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 399x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 399x500
>>71156769
> It was just that faggot's voice and acting that bothered me.

I don't agree with you 100% but I get where you're coming from.

>>71156539
> the searchers
Based. It really makes me wish someone would pick up Blood Meridian for an adaptation. And by someone I mean Paul Thomas Anderson.
>>
>>71156589
The Beast of Hollow Mountain maybe? I haven't seen it all so I'm not sure if it actually came of of a mine.

You could be misremembering The Valley of Gwangi.
>>
>>71157071
Don't really see PTA directing it despite his interest in American *context* with his latest three.

Too literal. Ford could've done it, maybe Malick and Lubezki could do it too.
>>
>>71156978
No it wasn't
http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/exclusive-andrew-dominik-could-give-you-his-jesse-james-directors-cut-in-half-a-day

>Other filmmakers and editors, like Oscar-winner Michael Kahn, supervised alternative versions of the film for the studio that brought the opus down to as short as 100 minutes. But the movie wouldn't behave at that length. "The studio wanted a version that would appeal to the widest possible audience," Dominik told me in a recent interview. "They see that as the best movie, and there's an argument for that."

>The two alternate versions Dominik had in mind are quite different, really. One is five minutes longer than the current cut with edits and slight changes throughout. The other stretches the running time to over 180 minutes. He prefers them "because they’re paced better," he said, "and they include a couple of scenes that should have been kept, I think…

>"[Like] this one scene between Bob and Jesse the night before the assassination. We call it 'The Garden.' They sit on the porch and talk and it was Brad’s best moment in the picture. I reckon he would have been nominated for an Oscar if we had that scene in the movie…It doesn't work in a shorter version of the film, but in the three-hour version, it works great."

tldr the longest Dominik approved version is "over 180 minutes", so just 20 odd minutes were cut.
>>
>>71157107
>The Valley of Gwangi
I thinks that's it, thanks.
>>
>>71157224
>The original cut of the movie was nearly four hours long. It was edited down to two hours and forty minutes at the studio's request. The 4-hour version played at least once, most notably at the Venice Film Festival.

The 4 cut has also been reviewed by critis that saw it.
>>
>>71157301
Well I stand corrected then. Still doesn't mean it was butchered or whatever narrative you're pushing
>>
Unforgiven and Gran Torino are his best films and both are deconstructions of his old films
>>
>>71157380
Yes it is. The film is easily tied to two parts. Jesse and fame, Robert and defame. Robert's part in the Venice Cut is much bigger, since it is the other half of the film.

>>71157415
The bridges of madison county desu
>>
>>71157463
I totally disagree that it's worse off being edited how it is. Like I said, Ford's story is as much a footnote in the film as it is in reality. It works perfectly
>>
>>71154489
>>71154531
>>71154597
capeshitters are running amok.
>>
>>71154467
>A western movie with no action until the very last moment and even that was a huge Deus Ex Machina that goes against everything the film has said previous.

What a fucking bore, High Noon had me more enthralled than this fucking thing.

And at least Lloyd Bridges has some charisma unlike Eastwood who plays a racist who at a plateful of sour grapes in every film.
>>
>>71158113
add pleb
>>
>>71157202

I can't see anyone but PTA doing a blood Meridian movie. The Cohen's did good work with "No Country", but that is a very different Novel from Blood Meridian.
>>
>>71158113

Here's the special (you) delivery.
>>
>>71156549
You missed the point. The entire intro scene was supposed to depict what was being said in the tabloids and in the comic strips, shit that Robert Ford read, and showing that it wasn't always the case.
>>
>>71154467
>What does /tv/ think of this movie?

The Japanese remake of it with Ken Watanabe is just as good too.
>>
>>71155253
The whole point of the kids character is that his whole I'm a badass act is just that, an act, the second he sees any real shit he realizes he doesn't want anything to do with it.
>>
File: m3RfWebU.jpg (84 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
m3RfWebU.jpg
84 KB, 640x640
Why the hell doesn't his retarded son be in an actual GOOD western.

I'm sure he doesn't want to do everything the same as his dad, but he changed his last name to his dad's so why does he care? Let's start the western genre back up.
>>
>>71158886
Everyone wants to be a gangster until it's time to do gangster shit.
>>
>>71157071
>It really makes me wish someone would pick up Blood Meridian for an adaptation.

James Franco and Russel Crowe were working on it, they even filmed a 30 "test footage" but there were rights issues they couldn't get past.

If they can get the rights to the novel, properly, then we may still see a film.
>>
File: Unforgiven_(2013_film).jpg (79 KB, 299x421) Image search: [Google]
Unforgiven_(2013_film).jpg
79 KB, 299x421
>>71158768

Forgot pic
>>
>>71156362
They didn't lynch him because he's black you dumb fag, they lynched him because he just took part in a murder and the sheriff routinely overreacts to crime and takes the law into his own hands. You're the one bringing race into the story.
>>
>>71159013
Is it a samurai picture?
>>
>>71158964

> James Franco

That won't end well.
>>
File: Clinty.png (219 KB, 1011x1013) Image search: [Google]
Clinty.png
219 KB, 1011x1013
>>71158768
>>71159013
>yellow niggers are so unoriginal that they have to steal from the west to make decent films
>weeaboos will defend this and claim that it's just as good, if not better

Even anime steals from American and English films.
>>
>>71159038
Just Ken trying to relive The Last Samurai.
>>
>>71159097
The irony of you saying that while posting a pic based on a Leone film is unreal if you aren't joking
>>
>>71159038

It's set in the Meiji period, around the same time as Eastwood's version.
>>
>>71159145
>this faggot is taking wojak seriously
>>
>>71159145

And the fact that so many Westerns, even one's Clint was in, were remakes of Japanese films by Kurosawa.
>>
>>71158634
>I can't see anyone but PTA doing a blood Meridian movie.

lol kill yourself
>>
>>71159145
>>71159195
>>71159097

Cowboys and samurais are a kindred soul of a genre, they go hand in hand.

Westerns and samurai films have been borrowing shit from each other since the genre began.
>>
>>71159097

This post is the atomic bomb of unintentional irony.

No one could intentionally create this level of fuckitude even if they planned it out.
>>
>>71154467
It's great. One of the best westerns imo
>>
>>71159097
I hope you are joking.
>>
>>71154467
Great. One of the GOAT western endings. Maybe one of the GOAT westerns in general.
>>
>>71154467
Pretty good, last act was so powerful
>>
Were the stories about him were meant to be true or bullshit? I couldn't figure that out.
>>
One of the greatest 'modern' westerns, or revisionist ones. Compares with the Clint's of old for sure.
>>
>>71157709
>they don't like this one film that I like so they must be capeshitters
I just don't care for deconstructionism. Give me a straight-forward western over that shit any day
>>
>>71160407

HEHE DA ENDING!!!!!!

ENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>71160817
I think that's the point
>>
>>71160817
A bit of both, Ned vouched for one iirc and he didn't seem the type to BS about that
>>
>leone films
>high plains drifter
>outlaw josey wales
>pale rider
>unforgiven
is clint the king of western?
>>
>>71160919
Yes, the ending. It's very very good.

>>71160985
High Plains Drifter is amazing. SJW's complain about the rape though.
>>
>>71161119
yep, i usually rewatch them around summer time every year, high plains drifter is the perfect combination of kek and action.

bit sad that clint didn't star in once upon a time in the west though, I think it'd be better if he starred instead of bronson, not that it'd not an amazing movie
>>
>>71158901
Probably because everyone knows he can't fucking act his way out of a paper bag
>>
File: image.jpg (144 KB, 320x236) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
144 KB, 320x236
>All right now, I'm comin' out. Any man I see out there, I'm gonna kill him. Any sumbitch takes a shot at me, I'm not only gonna kill him, but I'm gonna kill his wife. All his friends. Burn his damn house down.
>>
>>71159014
beat me to this, I just watched this movie and race wasn't a part of it at all. Other complaints are valid, even if I disagree, but that complaint is just wrong.
>>
>>71161553
>watch this with some people
>they think he's a cool badass
What do you do when everyone else in the room is a pleb /tv/?
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.