[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rank a directors filmography >Badlands >Days of Heaven
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 214x317) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 214x317
Rank a directors filmography

>Badlands
>Days of Heaven
>Tree of Life
>Thin Red Line
>The New World
>To the Wonder

Malick basically got worse over time ;_;
>>
Quit reading RT scores & formulate your own opinion. Explain how you think his newer movies are worse.
>>
>>71147404
Malick's his next film is called Radegund about a conscientious objector in WW2 Germany, i read earlier today. good to hear he isn't continuing the biographical stuff.
>>
>>71147404
He's gotten better over time. He has mastered whatever vision it is that he has in his head.

Tree of life
Knight of cups
Thin red line
Days of heaven
To the wonder
Badlands
The new world

Not a single bad film
>>
>>71147631
I came up with my list without looking at any critical sites. Sorry
>>
File: james_quandt.jpg (67 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
james_quandt.jpg
67 KB, 300x400
>Will To the Wonder--or TO THE WONDER, as the film's end credits have it--finally dispel the aura of reverence that has settled over the cinema of Terrence Malick? The late creation of an artist can act as an alembic, concentrating and thereby heightening the qualities of his former work, Robert Bresson's L'Argent (1983) being only the most imposing example. And To the Wonder, like Andrei Tarkovsky's Nostalghia (1983) and The Sacrifice (1986) (both of which Malick has drawn from, particularly in 2011's Tree of Life), distills all that is intolerable in its maker's films. Ironically, To the Wonder is positioned as a departure, the first in Malick's oeuvre, aside from a few uneasy sequences in The Tree of Life, to be set in the present day. That apartness--Terry Does Contemporary--serves to reveal that Malick's stylistic traits, previously identified as auteurist signatures, appear too often tics and affectations. What Malick's disciples praise as his ambition and sincerity increasingly registers as feigned naivete, an untoward belief that his fervent romanticism can renew such exhausted tropes as a van Gogh field of sunflowers, a Milton tree of life, a Gauguin South Sea paradise. The unfortunate effect of To the Wonder is to cast a retrospective pall over the director's work, to underscore the tendency in his earlier films to banal symbolism, manufactured rapture, and middlebrow aestheticism.
>>
The New World
Days of Heaven
The Thin Red Line
Badlands
Tree of Life
To the Wonder

Haven't seen Knight of Cups yet
>>
>>71149174
This is correct.
>>
File: 1461093728978.jpg (79 KB, 659x926) Image search: [Google]
1461093728978.jpg
79 KB, 659x926
>>71147404
>The Tree of Life that low.
>Knight of Cups omitted.
>Knight of Cups not in first place.
top pleb

>Sucker Punch
>Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
>Watchmen
>Man of Steel
>Dawn of the Dead
>300

Haven't seen the owl movie yet.
>>
>>71149337
Watchmen Director's Cut
Dawn of Justice Ultimate Cut
Sucker Punch Extended Cut
Dawn of the Dead
Man of Steel
Legend of the Guardians
>>
File: To the Wonder (4).jpg (645 KB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
To the Wonder (4).jpg
645 KB, 1920x816
1. Knight of Cups
-power gap.
2. To the Wonder
- power gap
3. Tree of Life
-power gap
Badlands > The Thin Red Line > DoH

but nothings bad.
>>
File: To the Wonder (3).jpg (780 KB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
To the Wonder (3).jpg
780 KB, 1920x816
>>71147701
I wonder if his short is available anywhere 'Lanton Mills'
>>
>>71149683
>When Terrence Malick donated a copy of his thesis film LANTON MILLS to his alma mater, The American Film Institute, he stipulated that scholars be allowed to view the film in the AFI library in Los Angeles, but nowhere else. The film cannot be copied or checked out.
http://archive.is/BzKQ6

It doesn't seem likely but at least we can read a little bit about it. It sounds great hopefully it gets released someday.
>>
File: 1462984106759.jpg (51 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1462984106759.jpg
51 KB, 1024x576
>>71147404
>Badlands and Days of Heaven first
>>
File: To the Wonder (2).jpg (589 KB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
To the Wonder (2).jpg
589 KB, 1920x816
>>71149996
Rather sad then, as I am not from USA and not a scholar of AFI.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.