[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This movies concept was brilliant. Wes Craven can really make
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 11
File: 1994_poster.png (977 KB, 900x1348) Image search: [Google]
1994_poster.png
977 KB, 900x1348
This movies concept was brilliant.

Wes Craven can really make some great horror. He was involved in all 3 good elm streets, 1 3 and 7 (NN).

What did you think of it /tv/?
>>
>MUH SHITTY META
Wes Craven was a talentless hack and NoES was always garbage. If you think he can do great horror, you're an idiot.
>>
>>71125244
Carpenterfag detected.
>>
>>71125419
Not him, but why not like both?
>>
Wes Craven was John Carpenter for stupid people.
>>
>>71125419
Not at all, although Carpenter is better with horror.
Wes Craven was Joss "every horror movie should be a dark comedy and villains should never be scary and threatening" Whedon of his time.
>>
>>71125568
I can't think of anything like that in The Hills have Eyes
>>
File: The-Thing-From-Another-World.jpg (163 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
The-Thing-From-Another-World.jpg
163 KB, 1024x768
>>71125568
Everything Carpenter ever made was a take on something he had seen done before. Craven changed the genre at least three times in his career. I love them both but eat a dick if you think John is some special snowflake.
>>
>>71125536

Not only is that wrong but Carpenter is literally "I'm going to shitty remake this thing with a moody synth soundtrack and fat neckbeards will love me forever without knowing the originals exist."

See >>71125971, even Horror Express is a better version of Campbell's WHO GOES THERE?, but because your dad got molested to Carpenter's version and you drilled into your head it was somehow better you think it is. Hawks blew Carpenter out of the fucking water and he knew it, he tried to top it, he admits it didn't work.
>>
>>71125971
>Craven changed the genre
Yeah, for the worst. He pretty much reduced it to shit it is nowadays. Craven was a fucking idiot with no grasp on horror whatsoever.
All I said is that Carpenter can make great horror movies unlike Craven, you dumb fuck with no reading comprehension.
>>71125800
>The Hills have Eyes
>not a comedy with the most hilariously pathetic villains possible
I bet you think that shitty TCM rip-off was good too.
>>
>>71126207
>All I said is that Carpenter can make great horror movies unlike Craven, you dumb fuck with no reading comprehension.

And you were wrong. Everything you said was wrong. You're a bad person and you should probably rethink your life.
>>
When was the last time Carpenter made something that wasn't absolutely terrible? Before New Nightmare. To compare the two who did it totally different is pretty shit though. Enjoy the good they did, forget the shit. I'm actively trying to forget the past two decades of John Carpenter's career that wasn't music.
>>
File: best-david-cronenberg-films[1].jpg (22 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
best-david-cronenberg-films[1].jpg
22 KB, 600x400
>mfw all these plebs
>>
>>71126324
>Enjoy the good they did
But Craven has never done anything good.
>>
>>71126357

Then you disagree with John Carpenter himself and you probably, just guessing, never watched his films and listen to what some RLM review told you. Whichever way it goes history disagrees with you and you should probably kill yourself tonight.
>>
What a shitty fucking disastrous thread. I thought it would be a nice comfy horror one, but some retards decide that it's more fun to put a console fight with directors, which is absolutely fallacious and unnecessary.
Even these threads you fucks manage to ruin. Nice going
>>
>>71124982
Brilliant, New Nightmare is not only Craven's best film by far but one of the greatest American horror films
>>
>>71126538
OP here, and yeah I just wanted some discussion about the elm street franchise, but it seems that's too much to ask for, at least here on /tv/.
>>
>>71126435
>Then you disagree with John Carpenter himself
And that should bother me because? Just because a creator says something, doesn't mean they're right.
>YOU DISAGREE WITH ME, IT'S ONLY BECAUSE YOU NEVER SEEN HIS FILMS
Fuck off with this shit """""argument""""".
>history disagrees with you
If that's your idea of an argument, you are the one who should kill yourself.

>>71126538
I only wanted to say that Craven was a pathetic excuse for a horror director which he is. I don't even like Carpenter all that much.
Not my fault Cravenfags are too retarded to not bring up other directors.
>>
>>71126538
Same thing happened in the last Godfather thread. Some people would rather be faggots and insult people to feel superior than actually have a discussion. Anyway the thread is still young we can turn it around

What is everyone's favorite kill in the Nightmare films? Mine is the roach motel scene in Part IV
>>
>>71126574
Nah, not even top 3 Craven, or top 80 american horror
>>
>>71126682
eh, different strokes
>>
>>71126722
No doubt, but are you a Craven admirer overall?
>>
File: freddy_puppet.jpg (9 KB, 400x217) Image search: [Google]
freddy_puppet.jpg
9 KB, 400x217
>>71126674
Not him, but favorite would have to be the puppet scene from 3.
>>
>>71126350
Body horror is shit.
Cronenberg is better with crime stuff.
>>
>>71126784
I like him, but more of a fan of the Nightmare series than Wes Craven himself. I grew up watching them so I'm a bit biased
>>
>ITT: "I only like one horror director!!!!"
>>
File: tiwest[1].jpg (57 KB, 395x531) Image search: [Google]
tiwest[1].jpg
57 KB, 395x531
>>71127043
Ti West is the best. Fuck all you dadhorror faggots.
>>
>>71126904
that's a good one, Part 3 definitely has the best kills overall.

WHAT A RUSH
>>
>>71126674
Movie was shit, but this scene was pretty disturbing. If it wasn't for Freddy's cheesy one-liner, it'd be legit creepy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJDZvXUv0Lk
>>
>>71126904
>>71127381
Personally think that 3 is the best movie in the series. I was honestly kind of disappointed with New Nightmare
>>
>>71127135
>muh gore

yeah, great job.
>>
File: primetime.jpg (33 KB, 636x336) Image search: [Google]
primetime.jpg
33 KB, 636x336
>>71126674
I love this scene and I don't even know why
>>
>>71127541
I was too, but I thought it was much better than other sequels, excluding 3.
>>
>>71126674
I dunno if it's my favourite but this one was pretty unique for a horror movie

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GeJnuP2_yb8
>>
How was the remake?
>>
>>71127966
Terrible. Still better than the Friday the 13th remake though.
>>
>>71127966
Predictable jumpscares and shitty CGI: The movie. Haley was good, but one good performance is not enough to save a shit horror movie.
>>
>>71127966
Utter forgettable garbage. Managed to be the worst of the unnecessary big 4 remakes wave of the 2000's
>>
>>71128084
I don't remember a single kill from that movie, that's pretty bad considering what this franchise was.
>>
>>71127966
No Robert Englund, not real Freddy.
>>
>>71128084
>Managed to be the worst of the unnecessary big 4 remakes wave of the 2000's
Hey now, Black Christmas remake still exists.

That movie was like one big example of everything wrong with remakes.

>badly-done attempt to give main villain some depth by making them sympathetic that comes off as forced and removes all the mystery
>gore that serves no purpose other than shock value
>absolutely forgettable characters
>predictable and annoying jumpscares
>no good parts of the original like suspense or atmosphere
>bastardization of a villain that isn't even slightly scary
>>
>>71128230
Oh wait, I forgot that Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake exists and that it was one of the big 4.
My bad.
>>
>>71127990
Absolutely untrue, friday the 13th was way better than this

remake tier list
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Halloween (not the sequel though)
Friday the 13th
Nightmare on Elm Street
>>
I, umm, enjoy John Carpenter and Wes Craven.
>>
>>71128327
Me too...
>>
>>71128230
Fuck, didn't even know Black Christmas had a remake. Now I feel that bad feeling that I need to see the corpse
>>
>>71128314
The only thing I remember about TCM remake is the actor who played Sergeant Hartmann.
God-tier villain, even if his actor plays the same role over and over.
>>
>>71128382
>not remembering Jessica Biels sweet supple ass
>>
>>71128498
yeah I don't see how anyone can forget her
>>
>>71128230
>>71128369
I never saw the original black christmas, is it still worth watching today?
>>
>>71129399
I liked it.
The villain feels like someone who escaped from a nuthouse blogshit, but his speech patterns even remind me of a schizophrenic old woman I knew once and the atmosphere is top notch in my opinion.
It's pretty slow and suspenseful, so I could see how some people could find it boring.
>>
>>71129399
>still worth watching
>still
Fucking plebs

More politely, it is very worth watching, as an early slasher, and a pretty good film- in performances, mood, scariness- overall.
>>
>>71129399
It's pretty lame to be honest. I recommend you want The Girl Who Knew Too Much or Blood and Black Lace, they're the films that created the slasher genre
>>
>>71129608
Some movies age poorly.
>>
>>71129644
I don't subscribe for this philosophy. People, culture, whatever other societal bullshit do change, films( or art in general) don't.
But I understand that the sentiment is widespread and the rejection of the 'old' is ever growing.
>>
>>71129644
No film ages, they're the same film now as when they were made. Only our perspective of them changes, and someone who really loves movies is capable of viewing a movie in the context of the time and place in which it was made, if you judge it by modern standards you're a disgusting pleb faggot

That said Black Christmas is overrated crap, both then and now
>>
File: freddy-vs-jason-new-line.jpg (224 KB, 900x507) Image search: [Google]
freddy-vs-jason-new-line.jpg
224 KB, 900x507
What did /tv/ think of this?
>>
>>71129782
After the disappointment for this when the hype was so big, I now see it with better eyes. It's fun enough, but nothing special in any way.
Makes no sense at all it was 13 years ago.
>>
>>71129770
>overrated
By whom?
Nightmare on Elm Street is overrated. Barely anyone outside of horrorfags knows about it.
>crap
Alright, you're entitled to yout opinion.
>>
>>71129782
Fun movie, not great or anything but thoroughly entertaining when you're in the mood for dumb entertainment.

Jason X is like that but even more fun though
>>
>>71127043
More like "one horror director gets way more credit than he deserves".
Wes Craven was an uncreative smug scumbag who thought than he's way more clever than he actually was.
>>
>>71129923
>By whom?
horror enthusiasts, people on this board and individuals I've met at horror conventions. They act like Black Christmas is some highly influential iconic film, when in fact it just copies other films that didn't get as much exposure. It's not that interesting, and doesn't add anything to the genre.
>Alright, you're entitled to your opinion.
I've only seen it once maybe I need to rewatch it. There are plenty of films that I love that I hated the first time around
>>
File: mel-gibson-.jpg (89 KB, 970x724) Image search: [Google]
mel-gibson-.jpg
89 KB, 970x724
So I've honestly not seen much horror and recently have been trying to watch more.

I've watched some modern stuff like The Witch,It follows,The Conjuring, or Cabin in the Woods, but would rather stick to the older "classics" from the 70's--90's.

So far I've watched The Thing, the Nightmare on Elm Street movies (1-7), and The Shining.

I know I need to watch the Halloween movies and the Friday the 13th movies, but I'm not sure if I am going to watch all of the movies in each series. I also plan to watch Hellraiser, The Exorcist , and the Scream movies. I would also love to watch more of the horror that isn't as popular and """"mainstream"""".

Any suggestions?

(also I wrote this at 3 am on my phone, I'm sure it's full of misspellings and grammar mistakes)
>>
>>71130166
Oh, well, I see your point even if I disagree. Personally I don't really care if the horror movie adds anything to the genre as long as it's actually scary. Which BC was for me.
>>
>>71130199
I don't see any grammar or spelling mistakes, friendo.
And it's great that you plan to watch all these films- and that's a lot for some of the franchises. Hopefully you won't give up midway in some of them. That would be bad form :^)
>>
>>71130199
>Friday the 13th movies
Why bother? Worst franchise of all.
>>
>>71130394
FUKK U
And it's not even truth, Halloween, Child's Play, TCM are worse as series.
Also, few thing beat the comfiness and good times vibe of F13 films in the 80's.
>>
>>71130394
I've always heard so much about it, and just general praise.

Is it really all that bad?
>>
>>71130199
Go watch the Universal Monster classics up to the Hammer horror. Then from there watch from the 1970's and up.
>>
>>71130517
Halloween and TCM at least had one good movie.
F13 is nothing but awfulness and/or mediocrity.
>>
>>71130283
I'll rewatch it, and there's a good chance I'll like it more than the last time. Really so much depends on the circumstances of when you watch it

If you don't mind, besides being scary what else do you love about Black Christmas?
>>
>>71130525
Nope, not all. Little bitch nigga is just a tasteless 2000's kid
>>
>>71130525
It's literally the most consistent horror franchise ever. Every installment is good except Part 8, don't listen to that faggot
>>
>>71130569
I love the main villain even though (or because) we don't see much of him, contrast between the supposedly happy day like Christmas and movie's atmosphere of hopelessness, some pretty well-done suspense and some of the characters.

Maybe I'm just a pleb, but I love it more than most slasher movies outside of the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Halloween.
>>
>>71130650
F13 strikes me as a cinematic equivalent or Rob Zombie or Alice Cooper "music".
>>
>>71130780
I can understand this, but when I watched it I just felt so much deja vu from giallo films like Blood and Black Lace. I never felt that the characters were all that well-developed and I think much of the "suspense" seemed like filler.

Then again this was years ago and I was drunk, so I probably need to give it another go
>>
>>71130863
terrible comparison

I'm not saying the F13 films are great or anything, but they have more merit than Zombie or Cooper, I shudder just thinking about those hacks.

More than anything, the F13 films are just so comfy with their summer camp setting and predictable outcome, like an Andy Hardy movie but with far more bloodshed. They're Americana, pure and simple
>>
>>71131138
>F13 films
>merit
>>
>>71131138
I explained why they have merit in the rest of my post, but naturally you ignored it and just greentexted

Never change 4chan
>what is Americana
fucking millennials
>>
>>71131164
>you
>not a faggot
>>
>>71131377
response to
>>71131164
>>
>>71131377
You explained nothing, you fucking faggot, not that you would be capable of defending Friday the 13th movies because are garbage and one of the reason slasher genre is shit.

>MUH COMFY XDD
>MILLENIALS XDD
Just admit you have no taste and move on.
>>
>>71131479
Kill yourself, babby
>>
>>71131578
You first, shiteater.
>>
>>71131479
and what should I explain? You made no fucking argument whatsoever so why should I?

I'm not saying the F13 films are high are but they are entertaining and comfy. If you have nothing to say other than "it's garbage/shit" and "you have no taste" than I have absolutely no reason to take you seriously retard
>>
>>71131582
You're the plebmaster shitting up around here
>>
>>71131628
>LE DUMB ONE-DIMENSIONAL MASKED MAN
>LE DUMB ONE-DIMENSIONAL TEENAGERS
>LE GORE AND TITS
That's all the "substance" F13 movies have. If I wanted gore I'd watch Guinea Pig movies or Cannibal Holocaust, at least that would spare me the boredom of watching those pieces of trash.

Any idiot who uses "comfy" to describe anything needs to fucking kill themselves.
>>71131630
No one who defends that garbage has any right to call anyone a pleb.
>>
>>71131733
>>>/b/
>>
>>71131790
You go there with your shit taste in movies.
Liking Friday the 13th should be even more shameful than liking Adam Sandler movies.
>>
>>71131831
>
>>
File: Nightmare on Elm St 4.webm (3 MB, 1080x606) Image search: [Google]
Nightmare on Elm St 4.webm
3 MB, 1080x606
I love this scene. Loved it as a kid and now.
>>
>POOR ME, IT'S SO HARD TO PLAY A ONE-NOTE FINAL GIRL AND GET MILLIONS FOR BARELY ACTING: The Movie
>brilliant concept
>>
http://decider.com/2015/11/01/nightmare-on-elm-street-gay/
>>
>>71132266
Hi, slowpoke.
>>
>>71129399
Oh hell yes
>>
>>71124982
Really fun gems with lots of cool effects.
I enjoyed them all except for the second one, which will be excluded in future marathons.
>>
File: 46545465231.jpg (43 KB, 720x400) Image search: [Google]
46545465231.jpg
43 KB, 720x400
He did a pretty good job on New Nightmare.
Didn't annoy me once, which is almost always a given with child actors. Also good performance, of course.
>>
>>71134439
what did you not like about the second one?
>>
>>71135553
I can't quite remember, saw them a longer time ago.
I think it was something like Freddy being a total wuss and/or not having very much screentime, but instead lots of dumb teenager stuff.
Yeah, I think it was something along those lines.
>>
>>71135612
>Freddy being a total wuss
That's every single NoES movie.
>>
>>71124982
>he thinks there are any good nightmare on elm streets

WEW
>>
>>71125419
>implying Halloween and all Carpenter in general isn't just as bad as Nightmare on Elm Street
>>
>>71127966

It introduced me to this gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbU3zdAgiX8
>>
>>71135921
>>71135930
>Implying there is such a thing as a good horror movie
>implying horror isn't an inherently shit genre
>>
>>71135991
>>71135921
>>71135930
>le epic shitposting
>>
>>71131733
>Guinea Pig movies or Cannibal Holocaust
Not pretentious enough.
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.