[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>directed by Ridley Scott What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: The-Martian_2015-27.jpg (475 KB, 800x1182) Image search: [Google]
The-Martian_2015-27.jpg
475 KB, 800x1182
>directed by Ridley Scott
What went wrong?
>>
insecure edgemasters forced themselves to dislike it lest they be associated with the front page of the internet EVEN THOUGH it's a brilliant film
>>
>>71094595
Too many quips. Movie didnt take itself seriously. Felt like it was directed by Adam Sandler.

Hell they could have cast Sandler in the lead role
>>
>matt damon
>shitty screenplay
>>
>>71094619
>AYY imma fly into space no helmet real quick
>>
No tension in any scenes.
>>
matt damon wasnt the right choice for the role
ridley wasnt the right director
>>
>>71094595
insecure edgemasters forced themselves to dislike it lest they be associated with the front page of the internet EVEN THOUGH it's a brilliant film
>>
>>71094619
fpbp

It's a pretty interesting flick with comedy undertones. Solid 6/10
>>
The music was fucking awful. That's what
>>
>>71094595
it's a movie where you basically know going in that Matt will survive. so you have to care about the science and the how-to elements and the aspirational side of space travel.

a lot of people just don't give a shit about any of that, so for them the movie was just a series of quips and simplified science. they'd rather have Nolan's inane, nonsensical sentimentality.
>>
>>71094595
His acting was off
>>
>>71094595

nothing, it was an amazing movie
>>
>>71094655
other then science the shit out of it, what was the other quip, aka Laconic Phrase.
>>
>>71094682
You mean when he flew away in the tarp covered thing? I don't get you
>>
>>71094704
>forced themselves to dislike it

Yes yes well memed

HOWEVER
>>
I thought it was an ok film
>>
>>71094619

this so much
>>
>>71094595
Nothing. It was a masterpiece and the greatest comedy of all time.
>>
File: 1465795280775.jpg (64 KB, 480x330) Image search: [Google]
1465795280775.jpg
64 KB, 480x330
>>71094716
THIS

the problem was the audience, not the movie or story or director or acting.

It's trendy hate shit.

Hell, OP implies that this movie went wrong somewhere that can be described.

I mean when people say
>'The Martian' Might Be the Most Realistic Space Movie Ever Made

You kinda realize that 2001 space odyssey, wasn't. So some people will go, I'd rather a movie be CLASSY then accurate. The same people will hate Marvel movies for being unrealistic.

So ... ya...

People are fucktards.

I hope you read this in a bane voice
>>
>>71094753
>forced themselves to dislike it

Yes yes well memed

HOWLER
>>
>>71094805
hard to read in character voice when you don't write it in their style of speaking
>>
>>71094697
>No tension
You serious brah? Something went wrong in every other scene everyone had to be on their toes constantly
>>
>>71094805
>I mean when people say
>>'The Martian' Might Be the Most Realistic Space Movie Ever Made
>You kinda realize that 2001 space odyssey, wasn't. So some people will go, I'd rather a movie be CLASSY then accurate. The same people will hate Marvel movies for being unrealistic.

Some people will go "That was Apollo 13 you fucking pleb", stop excusing quiptrash
>>
File: 2.jpg (53 KB, 500x465) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
53 KB, 500x465
>>71094595
Not much.

As far as book to movie adaptations going, this is pretty much perfect. The book is goofy as fuck and so is the movie. Perhaps the advertising was misleading and people went into it with the wrong expectations.
>>
>>71094716
>so you have to care about the science and the how-to elements and the aspirational side of space travel.

that's what i loved too. i know this movie gets ragged on pretty hard but watney rigging up a potato farm and burning hydrazine to make water was really neat and i liked the diary style of the story. it was a movie where i enjoyed the middle so much i didn't want it to end.
>>
>>71094751
Yeah. And his cracked helmet
>>
>>71094716
I'd argue Nolan's move was more inspiring. There was more tension and real characters keeping you interested. Shit better and dealt with more interesting topics.
>>
>>71094873
Oh shit when he taped it back up right? Wtf you're right
>>
>>71094744
>I'm going to Iron Man this shit.
Ring a bell
>>
>>71094907
There's more than one suit on the station you cucks.
>>
Ridley is a great director. That's all he is.
He's a machine that turns scripts into movies or sometimes into films.
If the script is shit then the movie is shit. If the script is good then the movie is excellent.
Somebody should give him a good script once in a while.
>>
>>71094744

>Fuck you, Mars

>No, I will not "turn the beat around"

Almost every single line from Matt Damon is some retarded quip that never once takes into account the seriousness of the situation.
>>
Ridley knows how to make a good movie, he just needs to learn how to pick better scripts.
>>
>Unoriginal robinson crusoe in space knock-off #562
>throw in some shitty jokes like MUH DISCO or SCIENCE

Bing badda boom, box office hit, woo boys crank out the next one.
>>
>>71094884
I didn't think Nolan's characters were more real at all. the main character is a cornball farmer-scientist from le midwest and the best dad in the world etc etc etc. all the other characters were familiar types or not even developed. what it did was take everything VERY seriously so you couldn't afford to question the characters believability without throwing your investment in the film out of the window.

it really did feel like a script Speilburg abandoned. by the way, the black hole/time dilation/wormhole stuff was total horseshit with the sole exception of the black hole's physical appearance, it was as scientific as Star Trek.
>>
>>71094619
>>71094709
>>71094769
samefags the movie was legitimately shit you can't defend it people make jokes about le reddit all the time but it was 100% that
>>
File: concerned bear.png (141 KB, 236x333) Image search: [Google]
concerned bear.png
141 KB, 236x333
>>71095431

>samefags
>plural

do you have literal brain damage?

>the movie was legitimately shit

oh yeah, you are
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.